Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Neil Bates: on 6/3/14 at 15:46pm UTC, wrote Helmut, you bring up an interesting perspective, and various interesting...

Peter Jackson: on 5/27/14 at 16:15pm UTC, wrote Helmut, I couldn't agree more. I expand the bi-polar concept both to give...

Ajay Bhatla: on 5/5/14 at 18:42pm UTC, wrote Helmut, Loved your essay. Here is my understanding of it. Please tell me...

John Hodge: on 5/2/14 at 17:57pm UTC, wrote “You can only steer when you are in control.” Maybe steering can be...

Anselm Smidt: on 4/22/14 at 17:04pm UTC, wrote Zukunft durch breite Messung, Histogramme und Analyse gesehen.

Joe Fisher: on 4/17/14 at 14:33pm UTC, wrote Dear Helmut, I found reading your essay extremely interesting and...

George Gantz: on 4/17/14 at 1:17am UTC, wrote Helmut - You've given us all a vigorous essay to ponder! I agree that...

John Merryman: on 4/16/14 at 1:27am UTC, wrote Helmut, I have to agree with your concluding remark that you simply...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Agnew: "There are some questions that do not seem to have answers in the classical..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Agnew: "Yes, there are two very different narratives. The classical narrative works..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Dufourny: "Joe,so lol you speak to God or it has send you this information lol ?..." in First Things First: The...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 13, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: System Focus and Balancing Bi-Polar orientation by Helmut Alfred von Schweitzer [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Helmut Alfred von Schweitzer wrote on Apr. 15, 2014 @ 19:56 GMT
Essay Abstract

Given our unforeseeable future and historically recent disasters of presumed and planned futures insightful orientation is an essential priority.Humanity's growing dominance of overall evolution in numbers, creativity and selectivity, led increasingly by the advances of science and technology,needs wider oreintation.A balancing bi-polar orientational methodology is the content of this essay to show the practicality and prospects of such kind of approach to essential future human orientation

Author Bio

Helmut Von Schweitzer, B.Sc.(Econ)London School of Economics, 1952,FCCA, London 1957,MBA,Wits Business School Johannesburg, 1983,Entrpreneur and professional institutes developer in South Africa and USA.Independent researcher of management orientation methodologies.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman wrote on Apr. 16, 2014 @ 01:27 GMT
Helmut,

I have to agree with your concluding remark that you simply describe our current situation, rather than provide an answer to the question of the contest. Yet, you do also manage to undermine the premise of steering toward a particular future by observing the inherent polarity of reality. Every action elicits its reaction and so we would seem to be in a zero sum game. The more we...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

George Gantz wrote on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 01:17 GMT
Helmut -

You've given us all a vigorous essay to ponder! I agree that evolutionary forces are the right target of opportunity, and my focus, in The Tip of the Spear, is on the emergent properties of institutions ("systems" as you put it).

I was wondering about the use of the term "bi-polar", which seems to emphasize the two-way features of human relationships. Are you intending this to refer to all human-to-human relationships (may of which include more than two) - which you then contrast with the non-personal features of "systems".

Thanks - George

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 14:33 GMT
Dear Helmut,

I found reading your essay extremely interesting and informative. I do hope that it does well in the competition.

With my highest regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Anselm Smidt wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 17:04 GMT
Zukunft durch breite Messung, Histogramme und Analyse gesehen.

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on May. 2, 2014 @ 17:57 GMT
“You can only steer when you are in control.” Maybe steering can be done by establishing the organization and then let the structure control. Nature is an example. Nature has survival of the fittest and then lets the rule control. This seems to be the point of your paper.

Bookmark and Share

Ajay Bhatla wrote on May. 5, 2014 @ 18:42 GMT
Helmut,

Loved your essay. Here is my understanding of it. Please tell me if I am close.

I totally agree with your describing how difficult it is to steer the future when there is no clean black or white (the bi-polar attribute because of our ignorance), but everything is simply shades (the system focus will identify them all when we have no ignorance) in between. If my interpretation is close, I love your thinking model.

I also wonder if there is a solution, in your mind, that you are alluding to, but don't want to explicitly state. I have used such an approach many times to spur a tiny part of the world to action. This approach is, after all, a bi-polar one (will the people involved agree on a few actions or will everyone do their own thing) based upon their individual knowledge of a system from their perspective of what's important.

Are we kindred spirits? If we are, you will find that this approach underpins my essay here

Look forward to your comments on it.

Thanks for making me think. Good luck.

- Ajay

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 27, 2014 @ 16:15 GMT
Helmut,

I couldn't agree more. I expand the bi-polar concept both to give a good fit cyclic cosmology and in my essay to classically derive QM. Far too shocking to be countenanced but true none the less. Evolution is indeed bi-polar, and; " It includes creative destruction as part of creation."

Any body that spins has BOTH poles, and clockwise and counter clockwise motion subject only to relative observer position (and only one can be 'touched' at once). I show that's a far more profound finding that most realise.

I'm pleased to help your perceptive essay up from the doldrums. Mine uses an allegorical tale to disentangle the QM's spooky nonsense using bipolar spin, and unify physics, a clear way ahead across the board!

Best wishes

Peter.

Bookmark and Share

Neil Bates wrote on Jun. 3, 2014 @ 15:46 GMT
Helmut, you bring up an interesting perspective, and various interesting interdisciplinary connections. Your essay deserves more attention. However if you don't mind some constructive criticism, it's hard for me at least to clearly follow your train of thoughts. (I know, my own essay can come across as jumping around, but there is method there ...) Cheers.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.