Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

James Hoover: on 5/31/14 at 17:20pm UTC, wrote Miroslaw, Having had rating problems with my Firefox browser and with some...

Peter Jackson: on 5/26/14 at 15:15pm UTC, wrote Miroslaw, I certainly feel your essay is not just valuable but invaluable,...

MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI: on 5/26/14 at 8:31am UTC, wrote Dear Hai.CaoHoang Thank you. I think that even in the visibile Universe...

Hoang Hai: on 5/26/14 at 1:04am UTC, wrote Dear Miroslaw A very interesting calculations, I also noticed that : an...

MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI: on 5/19/14 at 18:48pm UTC, wrote Dear Petio Thanks for your invitation. My e-mail ...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 5/16/14 at 17:44pm UTC, wrote Dear Miroslaw, I invite you to comment and appreciate my essay. Best...

MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI: on 5/15/14 at 8:06am UTC, wrote Jim, Thank you for the letter. My calculations of the HZ radius are...

James Hoover: on 5/14/14 at 20:46pm UTC, wrote Miroslaw, Escaping the end, humanity can change the values of Nature...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: "They are proud, because they have solved some problems, which are..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, I do have an interest in the history, but not as much as I used..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment presents 3 causally linked state..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Roger Granet: "Well put! Physics is hard, but biochemistry (my area), other sciences..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Georgina Woodward: "BTW The neck scarves are a promotional souvenir given out at non sports..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol Zeeya it is well thought this algorythm selective when names are put in..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "is it just due to a problem when we utilise names of persons?" in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 18, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: CAN HUMANITY INFLUENCE THE HABITABLE ZONE by MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI wrote on Apr. 10, 2014 @ 17:18 GMT
Essay Abstract

In this paper we have discussed the radius of the habitable zone for exoplanets. The universal formula for the radius of the habitable zone is obtained. The radius depends only on the fine structure constant for electromagnetic interactions and the ratios of the Planck mass / proton mass, and proton mass/electron mass. For the present Epoch the width of the habitable spherical shell is of the order of 0.8 AU. In the future , in the case of Doomsday Humanity can escape the End by changing the values of Nature constants

Author Bio

M.Kozlowski, Emeritus Profesor Warsaw University is the author above 200 papers in the field of high and superhigh energy phenomena generated by laser beams. It is the author and co-author of several books :Thermal Processes using attoseond laser pulses, ( Springer, 2006), From Femto-to Attoscience and Beyond ( NOVA, 2009),

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Apr. 11, 2014 @ 14:49 GMT
Miroslaw,

Your perception is limited to the the velocity of light.

The velocity of consciousness is immediate, so we (our consciousness) could:

create a new reality.

The sphere of the habitable zone exists only in your mind, in principle we can go everywhere (in the future , in the past , and any location) only our causal consciousness is not yet able to realize that.

see my essay : "STEERING THE FUTURE OF CONSCIOUSNESS" (1991)

And also sdoomsday will arrive when the bubble of our universe meets its end...

best regards

Wilhelmus

(I await your comment and eventually rating on my thread)

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI replied on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 12:42 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus

The questions concerning consciousness are very hard and are out of the scope of my Essay. In my Essay the habitable zone is defined as the the sphere( with the star inside) on each the water is in liquid state.

My best regards

Miroslaw

Bookmark and Share

William Amos Carine wrote on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 21:20 GMT
Dear Kozlowski,

This essay was very interesting! What struck me the most was the statement immediately following section 2. That the orbit time of an electron should be tied into the number of atoms in a standard gas of a certain volume in a way that reflects the year of Earth is astounding! Somehow, I am guessing, the rate of circular orbit is related to the behavior of atoms around a nucleus, or more generally perhaps their motion and speed. Electrons always get wrapped into some deep business when it comes to space. The presence of A or thermodynamics is just a hint, I forward, and it points to look at some connection between the electron and what it does in space and what the earth does, and why there is some formula. Why is the orbit of the earth to an electron year the same ratio as the charge of a mole of electron to a single electron? Finding the constant A by comparing orbits is a bizarre specimen to look at by itself. I think it may point to a connection with mass being appropriated by its distance from the sun in this special case of analysis, which might be why it is important in your studies about finding a habitual zone.

I have wondered before about whether humans could make the constants that keep the earth friendly change, or be maintained, when we have influenced the environment in such a way that adjusting another one seems more sensible than switching back the one hear. But even if we don't blow it with this planet, knowing how to adjust certain parameters could definitely be a good trade skill for humanity to have, and knowing where to look for employment never hurt finding a match!

Sincerely,

Amos

Bookmark and Share

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI wrote on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 13:00 GMT
Dear Amos

Thank you for the letter. In my opinion the Avogadro number is the scalling factor for transition from chemistry to biology ( life).

My best regards

Miroslaw

Bookmark and Share

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI wrote on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 13:37 GMT
Wilhelmus de Wilde raised the extremaly important problem of the consciousness and the Universe. In my paper ( attached) I argued that the brain photons ( quantized brain waves) and CBR photons can be described by the same Black Body Radiation Formula. The result is that the temperature of the brain waves is 10-11 K and CBR 2.5 K

attachments: FQ141.docx

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 14:30 GMT
Dear Miroslaw,

Thank you for your paper on consciousness, I am reading it now and will come back on it.

regards

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 14:53 GMT
Dear Professor Kozlowski,

I found your essay fascinating, and I only have one problem with it. The real Universe is unique, once. Everything in the real Universe is unique,once.

Based only on my observation, I have concluded that all of the stars, all of the planets, all of the asteroids, all of the comets, all of the meteors, all of the specks of astral dust and all real things have one and only one thing in common. Each real thing has a material surface and an attached material sub-surface. All material surfaces must travel at the constant “speed” of light. All material sub-surfaces must travel at an inconsistent “speed” that is less than the “speed” of light. It would be physically impossible for light to move as it does not have a surface or a sub-surface. Abstract theory cannot ever have unification. Only reality is unified because there is only one reality. The interferometer that Michelson and Morley used in their solar wind experiment had a surface. The room in which the experiment was conducted had a surface. Michelson and Morley had surfaces. All surfaces travel at the “speed” of light. The only thing that did not have a surface was the light that the pair used. No wonder it performed unusually.

We know that the earth is habitable. Speculating on whether any other planet in the real Universe is habitable is utterly futile.

With the utmost respect,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI replied on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 16:53 GMT
Dear Joe Fisher

Thank you very much for your comments to my Essay. For me as a physicist the physical properties of the physical Universe are fascinating. I agree with you that up to now the problem of life on other planets is open!But allways I can ask the question How far from the star there is zone where on the surface of the planet water can exists in liquid state? My Essay gives the answer to that question and only to that question

My best regards

Miroslaw

Bookmark and Share

Anselm Smidt wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 17:10 GMT
Wir sterben, wenn physikalischen Konstanten ändern.

Bookmark and Share

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI replied on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 17:51 GMT
Dear Anselm

Wir mussen wissen

Wir werden wissen

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on May. 1, 2014 @ 09:32 GMT
Dear Miroslaw,

Please explain the phrase: «In the future, in the case of Doomsday Humanity can escape the End by changing the values of Nature constants.»

And the second question. You as a physicist engaged in lasers, please tell me, lasers can protect humanity from the asteroid hazard?

Best regards,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI replied on May. 1, 2014 @ 19:49 GMT
Dear Vladimir

1.Recently it was shown that in the observed Universe there are places witth presumly diffetent values of the electromagnetic fine structure constant. In the future it will be possible to rebuilt the Nature constants in order to redirect the Universe evolution.

2. The ultrashort laser pulses shorter then 10-18s- "attosecond" laser pulses

can create around the Earth the electron-pozyton plasma zone- the Dyson zone against the incoming asterods

My best

Miroslaw

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on May. 1, 2014 @ 20:25 GMT
Thank you, dear Miroslaw!

I believe that we need to create a world system of protection of the Earth from asteroids. This became especially clear after the fall of the Chelyabinsk meteorite. As the CEO of the Center for Planetary Defense Anatoly Zaitsev, the costs of creating operational echelon planetary defense system against asteroids amount to 3-5 billion dollars, which is several times cheaper than the Apollo program. Let's all work together in building up a more sustainable future of Humanity and hope for the best!

High regard,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on May. 16, 2014 @ 17:44 GMT
Dear Miroslaw,

I invite you to comment and appreciate my essay.

Best regards,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

James A Putnam wrote on May. 12, 2014 @ 01:24 GMT
MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI,

The subject of your essay is appropriate for this contest. It is informative and interesting. I am rating it high. Maybe with more visibility there will be serious discussions hopefully with physicists. I will be watching and look forward to reading more about it. Thank you for submitting your essay.

James Putnam

Bookmark and Share

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI replied on May. 12, 2014 @ 08:03 GMT
Dear James Putnam

Thank you very much for your opinion. Let`s hope for the best!

Miroslaw Kozlowski

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on May. 14, 2014 @ 20:46 GMT
Miroslaw,

Escaping the end, humanity can change the values of Nature constants. By constants, I assume you mean the criteria for determining the HZ. Supposedly Mars can be made habitable by terraforming. I wonder if the HZ criteria apply to moons of planets such as Jupiter and Saturn which perhaps have oceans beneath, warmed by the intense gravity of those two planets.

Are you considering only places in our solar system and just close solar systems?

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI replied on May. 15, 2014 @ 08:06 GMT
Jim,

Thank you for the letter. My calculations of the HZ radius are limitted to the planets, and to the exoplanets also. As far as the our solar system ( and for main number of the other solar systems, excluding binary stars planet system)for the the radius is of the order of 2 AU-the Jupiter and other planets are off the HZ. The prospects for the terratransforming of Mars are promised, I think. As far as the satelites presumably it will be possible to rebuilt the atmosphere and change the surface temperatures by chemical processes.

Miroslaw

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover replied on May. 31, 2014 @ 17:20 GMT
Miroslaw,

Having had rating problems with my Firefox browser and with some 5 days remaining, I am revisiting essays I've read to see if rated. I find that I rated yours on 5/14.

I would like to see your comments on my essay: http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2008

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on May. 26, 2014 @ 01:04 GMT
Dear Miroslaw

A very interesting calculations, I also noticed that : an evacuation plan for mankind in the universe would be very necessary in the future.

10 points for the empathy that of you - Hải.CaoHoàng

Bookmark and Share

Author MIROSLAW KOZLOWSKI replied on May. 26, 2014 @ 08:31 GMT
Dear Hai.CaoHoang

Thank you. I think that even in the visibile Universe the fundamental coefficients ( for example electromagnetic constants) are time dependend. As early as at 1994 I published paper in which the propostion for time depended fine structure "constant" was presented

My best regards

Miroslaw

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 26, 2014 @ 15:15 GMT
Miroslaw,

I certainly feel your essay is not just valuable but invaluable, and at many levels. I was intrigued by the coincidental relation of Avogadro's constant, as an astronomer particularly from the astrophysical viewpoint. I believe there is also a fundamental role and application of the fine structure constant in the area of gauges and the condensation of conjugate fermion pairs. I'm less familiar with Avogadro's constant but intuitively feel a key role, but can't yet see it.

I have however 'seen' a few other things beyond the current paradigms and would be very grateful if you'd check over this preprint to see if you can find connectivity with your own findings. //www.academia.edu/6655261/A_CYCLIC_MODEL_OF_GALAXY_EVOLUTIO
N_WITH_BARS

But I hope first as a physicist you'll read my essay's geometrical reproduction of the QM predictions using entirely classical mechanics. The 'classroom experiment at the end has been reproduced. Of course the model will not even be countenanced by any within quantum physics for the usual reasons! It seems it's escaping from belief led science that may allow us to make use of your own valuable work and exploit the HZ. I expect the reaction to 'changing natures constants' will be to send in the men in white coats who'll then visit me!

But for now you have a top score from me at least. I hope you may feel the same of mine (with it's added allegorical angle) before scoring finishes later this week. I also look forward to your comments on that and the above paper.

Very best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.