Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Harriet Nolan: on 8/2/19 at 8:51am UTC, wrote It is challenging to select only one book, but last year, I was fascinated...

Jacob Tence: on 6/18/18 at 17:52pm UTC, wrote Great research, I loved every word of it. I believe that the future is in...

Don Limuti: on 5/24/14 at 21:52pm UTC, wrote Hi Harlan, I like very much your high aim and out of the box thinking. ...

Hoang Hai: on 5/14/14 at 2:06am UTC, wrote Dear Harlan Incidents in my evaluation had to be overcome, 10 points to...

Peter Jackson: on 5/13/14 at 16:45pm UTC, wrote Harlan, Having had a look at the bottom few essays for moderation and...

Hoang Hai: on 5/9/14 at 2:39am UTC, wrote Dear Author Harlan Swyers Very special and exciting when you mention...

Harlan Swyers: on 4/27/14 at 12:28pm UTC, wrote hallo, Sie müssen sich schwarze Löcher ein wenig näher zu studieren....

Anselm Smidt: on 4/22/14 at 16:47pm UTC, wrote Nicht stark auf Physik.

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Robert, re. your ""one huge mistake"- they are describing non-existent..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Robert McEachern: "They are proud, because they have solved some problems, which are..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, I do have an interest in the history, but not as much as I used..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment presents 3 causally linked state..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Roger Granet: "Well put! Physics is hard, but biochemistry (my area), other sciences..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol Zeeya it is well thought this algorythm selective when names are put in..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "is it just due to a problem when we utilise names of persons?" in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 19, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Regarding Bitcoin, the Internet of Money and Economic Progress by Harlan Swyers [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Harlan Swyers wrote on Apr. 10, 2014 @ 17:18 GMT
Essay Abstract

In releasing Notice 2014-21, the IRS has declared virtual currency to be property. While this may be a disappointment for some people who wished cryptocurrency to be treated the same as regular currency, the classification as property has placed virtual currency, such as Bitcoin, on par with precious metals as a means of storing equity. This is an ultimate development of current classically based information technologies and has an enormous impact on developing and emerging markets around the world which are striving to implement microfinance schemes that hold the promise of bringing a large portion of Earth’s population out of abstract poverty. The transportability, transferability, liquidity and relative security of cryptocurrency opens the global marketplace to people who would otherwise be forced to work through a long line of intermediaries. This holds potential for further advancing the utilitarian maximization of the state of happiness for portions of the planet that are currently struggling with meeting basic needs.

Author Bio

Hal Swyers holds a M.S. in Environmental Management from the University of Maryland University College. He studies physics and mathematics as a personal hobby and all content provided purely reflect his own opinions and should not be construed to reflect the opinions of others.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman wrote on Apr. 11, 2014 @ 02:17 GMT
Hal,

You and I both build arguments around the primal importance of currency to the modern psyche, yet we take it in opposite directions. You make the point that bitcoin and other digital currencies would be quite useful for extending the monetary and financial framework further into the developing work as well, as provide an emotional refuge from the vicissitudes of increasingly...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Harlan Swyers wrote on Apr. 11, 2014 @ 10:07 GMT
John M,

Thanks for taking the time to read the essay.

This is undoubtedly a difficult topic and generates a lot of viewpoints. My own is that people are the fundamental generators of value, and we have to keep that central role clearly aligned in order to prevent drift to non-human actors. Unfortunately, at present, there are huge portions of humanity that are not represented in any direct way within the financial community. This unfortunately allows and even encourages significant financial chicanery.

I would point you to the recent movie "The Wolf of Wall Street", and then ask yourself how you go about getting a series 7 license. If you find a viable nationwide loophole, please let me know.

I do appreciate and share some of the fundamental concerns you bring up, however, I am a pragmatist at heart and try to keep my attention focused on how to understand problems by looking at what actions can be taken now, with my mind set on how that would allow a goal to be achieved.

Best

hal

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on Apr. 11, 2014 @ 11:34 GMT
Hal,

My view is the crash is inevitable, so it's much more a matter of what lessons there are to learn from it. If you read my entry, you will find it far more radical than just arguing money as a contract and therefore far-fetched, but having watched this circus for several decades now, I long realized people only hear what they want to hear and what will directly benefit them and that the only time for any real change is when this status quo breaks down. As Stephen Jay Gould named it, 'Punctuated Equilibrium.' So normally I wouldn't try to pack all that into one essay, but having entered every FQXI contest, but one, I figured,' Why not?" Let them have a piece of my mind! So the brevity is a consequence of not taking the contest completely serious, even if the subject matter ultimately is.

Regards,

John M

Sparks, Md.

Bookmark and Share

Author Harlan Swyers replied on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 18:05 GMT
John,

I think change is always inevitable, however, I do not believe that humanity is necessarily doomed, it simply will evolve and probably in very radical ways. I think Kurzweil is somewhat prophetic when he talks of how the mind will eventually be further and further removed from physical reality. How long this will take is not very clear, but it is something that will be topical for some time to come.

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on Apr. 13, 2014 @ 01:49 GMT
Hal,

I don't think its doomed, just due for a reset of some of the more unsustainable practices. If I was to predict a singularity of consciousness, it would be one more integrated into physical reality, not removed from it. The older I get, the more I sense my sense of self is just a form of cell membrane in a larger beingness. The problem being that it is a bottom up elemental awareness, not some top down ideal form. So we are that constant pushing upward and outward, with the occasional slips and falls, some quite spectacular.

Regards,

John M

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Apr. 11, 2014 @ 15:01 GMT
Harlan :

Mankind is the "reference" for the exchange of "effort"...

This is how I would like to describe any system of exchange , even LOVE

As we are with 7 billion now there is no longer any base like gold for the reference and indeed it is the valuation of another one's effort that gives the base for "exchange", this method however is no longer individual but is determined by the "group". I wonder if we will ever be able to chnage the base of economy we have by now, one thing is sure it does NOT work...

In my essay the economic structure is only a temporal illusion of our consciousness and there is HOPE,

I hope Harlan that you can take some time to read and comment on my thread and also eventually give it a rating...

regards

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Author Harlan Swyers replied on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 17:58 GMT
Wilhelmus,

Will read your essay and reply there.

You bring up a good point about group values. I have a pet theory that group intelligence is often averaged over the membership of the group (dependent on certain hierarchical relationships albeit). This is why small groups with highly intelligent members can outpace larger groups when it comes to innovation, etc. However, large groups fundamentally have more resources at their disposal, so there is a competitive edge for large groups in many cases.

In digital economies though, a lot of group activities can be relegated as contributions to background noise. Individual to individual (e.g. peer to peer) is now able to rest on the surface of the "bulk" noise and avoid some of the "signal" loss when it comes to shared values between individuals. Entire societies can flourish in the virtual world and only see the "real world" as a source of some predictable trends and random noise.

Effectively, you can't change human nature, but it is becoming increasingly possible to manage some of its lesser qualities.

Only time will tell what the future holds...

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 14:32 GMT
The danger of democracy...

Bookmark and Share

William Amos Carine wrote on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 22:31 GMT
Dear Swyers,

This is very well written and argued. I would like to see more science involved in the closing pages, though! It seems to me that there is an ever far removed trend to economic and scientific thought from what is around us everyday. Money might have once been a barter or lump of some outstanding mineral or element, but not is going digital. Science may have once been used...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Harlan Swyers replied on Apr. 13, 2014 @ 12:41 GMT
William,

Thanks for reading, and for the kind words.

I have looked at questions of interstellar trade using Krugman's model which you can read about on my blog The Furloff.

Now I am not a arbiter of happiness, if someone says they are happy or unhappy there really is nothing I can do to determine if they are telling the truth or not, but certainly I can tell people are happier going down to the grocery store to buy some bologna for a modest price then sitting outside starving for a few days, chipping out some arrowheads and hoping some small game comes within 20 yds of their downwind position. At least I am happier, because I have better things to do with my time. Although I suppose its possible some people are happier without a full belly, I don't know.

On this alien thing though, if you take a look at Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel he makes a good case that success of early advancements in civilizations was highly influenced by environment. For the most part I agree with the idea that random factors really do determine whether a species advances technologically or not. Whether life has emerged on other planets is one thing, but there is not one defensible piece of evidence that there are other technically advanced species in our galactic neighborhood. This is probably a good thing.

The network being built around cryptocurrency is more than just about money. The argument I make is not that money buys people happiness, but that having cheap access to global trade will ultimately improve the lives of people who can't overcome the barriers that trap them in poverty. Hopefully people agree that helping people is a good thing.

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 14:03 GMT
Thanks for your essay. It is thought provoking.

I think fulfillment is as much a goal for many as happiness. Indeed, those seeking fulfillment seem to drive change, new products, technology, etc.

I think the Pareto model is an incorrect model for out society. This model is a zero sum game. The advance in technology and our power implies a positive sum game. It is possible for both parties in a transaction to win and be better off. I understand many who would have the rich be taxed to transfer payments to the poor use a zero sum model to justify such a procedure. Indeed, I think such transfer payment have a negative long term effect on the nation. I suppose that is a subject of another debate outside FQXi.

The cryptocurrency is new. It’s only a matter of time before governments get in on the act. When that happens, the rules will change to government control (if possible). Government control is oriented to larger government. The rapid rate of growth of cryptocurrency is because the government is not yet in the game and, unlike barter, it is transportable.

If we note some consistent behavior, we should ask what is rational in the behavior. Just labeling a behavior that falls outside one’s line of reasoning as irrational is missing some very important fact of the situation.

Hodge

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 14:30 GMT
Dear Mr. Swyers,

I quite enjoyed reading your excellently written essay, and I do hope that it scores well with the judges in this competition. I do have a minor quibble about something that you proclaimed, and I hope you will not mind me mentioning it.

You wrote: “As an intelligent social species, our ability to show empathy is a powerful regulator of social behavior and serves us well in ensuring that irrational excesses do not impede the diversification and development of humanity as a whole.”

You are aware that American residents fired off about a million bullets in the past year. Most of these bullets were fired at shooting ranges and by hunters. About 13,000 people were shot to death. About another 100,000 people were wounded by gunfire.

I do not wish to be unduly cynical, but I fear that expecting Americans to act sensibly with guns is comparable to expecting turtles to perform Olympic qualifying pole-vaults.

With my highest regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Anselm Smidt wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 16:47 GMT
Nicht stark auf Physik.

Bookmark and Share

Author Harlan Swyers replied on Apr. 27, 2014 @ 12:28 GMT
hallo,

Sie müssen sich schwarze Löcher ein wenig näher zu studieren. Sie finden diese Themen sind eng verwandt.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on May. 9, 2014 @ 02:39 GMT
Dear Author Harlan Swyers

Very special and exciting when you mention "money and virtual money" in this contest - it is very close to real needs should always latent abilities "disease" if we do not accurately assess the nature of it.

In this contest I only give 10 points to the article that I read .

But looks like there has been a breakdown in the assessment grading so I can not give point for you ? I will evaluate you when the problem is fixed .

Hải.CaoHoàng

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 13, 2014 @ 16:45 GMT
Harlan,

Having had a look at the bottom few essays for moderation and interest I seem to be getting myself into a bit of a spot. Yours is certainly too well written and argued to be at the bottom, but I've found that, to possibly a lesser extent, for most others and your position has slipped. You shall have redress.

Your subject was quite unexpected for a fundamental physics site, but not really invalid as advancement in the short term depends fundamentally on commerce and exchange. I was also fascinated to learn of bitcoin. Thank you.

I hope you'll read my essay too - removing the nonsense from QM! If only it could penetrate the current belief system.

Very best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on May. 14, 2014 @ 02:06 GMT
Dear Harlan

Incidents in my evaluation had to be overcome, 10 points to cheer for your passion.

Hải.CaoHoàng

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on May. 24, 2014 @ 21:52 GMT
Hi Harlan,

I like very much your high aim and out of the box thinking.

Breaking open the economics headlock, is a way to steer the future.

Thanks for the fine essay,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.