Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Kevin O'Malley: on 9/14/14 at 6:46am UTC, wrote How many of these entries won a $20M prize? Certainly not the winners. ...

Kevin O'Malley: on 6/28/14 at 6:17am UTC, wrote Humanity would be steered properly by taking notice of this development. ...

Kevin O'Malley: on 6/28/14 at 6:06am UTC, wrote MFMP Nominated for NOBEL PEACE PRIZE!!! How many other contestants can...

Kevin O'Malley: on 6/13/14 at 3:03am UTC, wrote I played around with Excel last night and came up with a way to predict the...

Kevin O'Malley: on 5/31/14 at 5:16am UTC, wrote Oops, I thought I was still logged in when I posted that comment. I'm...

Kevin O'Malley: on 5/28/14 at 5:59am UTC, wrote Here's a fascinating Cold Fusion X Prize parallel article. Thinking Big...

Anonymous: on 5/28/14 at 5:06am UTC, wrote Hello James: Thank you for your kind words and shared perspective. I will...

James Blodgett: on 5/27/14 at 13:44pm UTC, wrote I like your idea about directed prizes. I have been thinking about them...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "If we correlate with the consciousness, can we consider that all is..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Ian Durham, Maybe still for the rankings and the links with this..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Georgina,in the past we have discussed about this Fith force after the 3..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "I work about my theory of spherisation with quantum and cosmological..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "An other point very important considering this nature.Ecology is so..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

janey hug: "Vape Juice Wholesale When it pertains to vape juice, you require to obtain..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

Forever Fiances: "Welcome to Forever Fiances, an invitation company in San Diego. Since 2008,..." in Vita Nuova

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which change is happening, is sequential..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 21, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: The LENR Techshop Y Prize Incentive Proposal by Kevin O'Malley [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Kevin O'Malley wrote on Apr. 10, 2014 @ 16:44 GMT
Essay Abstract

"How Should Humanity Steer the Future? With The LENR Techshop Y Prize Incentive Proposal My proposal is to set up a prize similar to the X Prize to reward and encourage Techshop (http://techshop.ws/) teams who replicate the recent Cold Fusion experiment at the Martin Fleischmann Memorial Project wherein Gamma Rays were detected after an excess heat event. Let's call it the Y Prize.

Author Bio

Electrical Engineer

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 14:41 GMT
Dear Mr. O'Malley,

Your suggestion seems very practical to me, and I hope that it will be adopted sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Kevin O'Malley replied on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 20:05 GMT
Thank you, Joe.

Practicality was a primary focus of my essay. To be candid, there are many essays here that do not strike me as practical at all. How can we steer humanity if we do not come up with practical ways to try?

best regards

Kevin O'Malley

Bookmark and Share

Ryoji Furui wrote on Apr. 20, 2014 @ 16:25 GMT
Dear Kevin O'Malley,

i am glad to see experts people of fusion related. i wrote an essay about fusion with a very limited knowledge so would like you to evaluate my nuclear fusion idea by its possibilities and pros and cons as "semi cold fusion".

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1995

And do you think it is possible to experiment it at your lab? I think one can build a very tiny reactor at house.

wish you good luck!

ryoji

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley wrote on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 20:15 GMT
Hello Ryoji:

I don't think I could build your device in my house, but if YOU do it successfully, my proposal would set up a prize fund that you could win.

I would invite you to propose your ideas at Vortex-L as well. At least 3 of us on this essay contest are regular contributors there: Jed Rothwell, Peter Gluck, and myself. And there's been some great discussion of Surface Plasmon Polaritons in Graphene:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l%40eskimo.com/m
sg91576.html

best regards

Kevin O'Malley

Bookmark and Share

Ryoji Furui replied on May. 6, 2014 @ 15:19 GMT
Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your reply with great link which i would read more soon!

Ryoji

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on May. 12, 2014 @ 22:56 GMT
Hi Kevin,

I enjoyed reading your essay. Very practical suggestions for encouraging demonstration of the cold fusion technology.

Regards, Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley replied on May. 15, 2014 @ 16:19 GMT
Hello Georgina:

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad to see that practicality easily comes across as a priority in my essay.

Best regards

Kevin O'Malley

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 19, 2014 @ 15:47 GMT
Kevin,

Great idea. Nice description and to a very important purpose. I'm a highly practical guy myself so appreciate your approach. It deserves more prominence and a higher score. There is much we don't understand which current doctrine subjugates. I discuss such a breakthrough in understanding myself and would be glad of your views. I fear both may take an interminably long to time to overcome embedded beliefs.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley wrote on May. 20, 2014 @ 05:42 GMT
Hello Peter:

Thank you for your response and kind words. I clicked over to your essay and found that it is one of those meaty, complicated essays that I have trouble understanding. Since I'm swamped at work, I'll need to get back to this later when I can spend a bunch of cycles to comprehend it. Perhaps this is one of those things that causes the "interminably long to time to overcome embedded beliefs"?

best wishes

Kevin O'Malley

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson replied on May. 20, 2014 @ 12:13 GMT
Kevin,

I understand, no prob's. What I have done is made QM understandable classically. The problem is to see the solution most have to learn the nonsense first! No need to bother really, as long as you know that Bell 'proved' only 'QM can produce a cosine curve, than you know any classical derivation blows it out of the water.

No nonsense, no spookyness, no FTL communication required. As long as you understand that anything spinning does so both clockwise AND anticlockwise subject to observer view aspect, then the whole toolbox is as follows.

"Superposed spin"; Means both bodies have north AND south hemispheres.

"Collapse"; Means only one hemisphere spin direction is 'measurable' at a time.

"Entanglement" = propagation on spin axis, so their equatorial planes are parallell.

"Detector setting" Rotates and flips EM field (electron spin direction) so OAM.

The problem is it's so shockingly simple that embedded Pagan beliefs call on Orwell's 'Crimestop' to render it invisible. We call it 'science' I think! A new way of thinking is required it seems! (Bob kind of shows how).

I wish you luck with your venture too. I've applied your score. I look forward to your comments when you get to mine.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley wrote on May. 20, 2014 @ 05:48 GMT
To All:

Well, this is a bit frustrating. When I was logging into my gmail account, somehow I managed to unsubscribe to replies on this thread. I suppose this means there will be even a longer lag. I can't see how to reinstate it.

Kevin O

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on May. 24, 2014 @ 21:21 GMT
Hi Kevin,

I like your short essay. There is a lot we do not know about catalysts. Putting attention on this suspicious fusion technology, is an obvious way to steer the future that is worth the candle.

High Marks,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley replied on May. 26, 2014 @ 19:00 GMT
Hello Don:

Thank you for your kind words. I do agree that this effort is worth the candle, which is why I submitted the essay. It is definitely an obvious way to steer the future of humanity.

best regards

Kevin O

Bookmark and Share

James Blodgett wrote on May. 27, 2014 @ 13:44 GMT
I like your idea about directed prizes. I have been thinking about them for some time. I proposed some of them in Lifeboat Foundations' response to the 100 Year Starship RFP, and I mention them briefly in my contest essay. A prize for a cold fusion demonstration is an excellent idea. However, I don't think an essay proposing such a thing should win this contest, not because cold fusion is definitively wrong, but because at the moment it is not yet definitively right, and therefore still questionable as the definitive direction in which humanity should be steered. It has to be conclusively demonstrated to the public first. The Wright Brothers did have a problem getting folks to realize that they had developed a working airplane, but they solved that problem by public demonstration. Cold fusion, if it works, can follow the same path. A prize could help open that path as the French invitation to demonstrate helped the Wright Brothres. I would have liked your essay better if it had advocated directed prizes in general, with cold fusion as an example how such a prize could be used.

You essay was useful as advocacy for testing cold fusion in that it introduced the possibility to a few contest participants like me. I personally would be interested in advocating for such a prize. I may not have terribly valuable help to offer since I am busy advocating lots of other things.

Another FQXi contest essay provides more extensive citations of recent cold fusion experiments: "Cold fusion may have revolutionary potential" by Jed Rothwell.

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on May. 28, 2014 @ 05:06 GMT
Hello James:

Thank you for your kind words and shared perspective. I will respond to your thoughts by embedding 3 asterisks *** within the body of your post.

best regards

Kevin O

I like your idea about directed prizes. I have been thinking about them for some time. I proposed some of them in Lifeboat Foundations' response to the 100 Year Starship RFP, and I mention...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley wrote on May. 28, 2014 @ 05:59 GMT
Here's a fascinating Cold Fusion X Prize parallel article.

Thinking Big Is The Easy Part: My Weekend Dreaming Up The Next XPrize

When a couple of journalists join a bunch of powerful people for a weekend on the beautiful California coast, tasked with thinking about the biggest challenges facing humanity, techno-optimism, and visions of cold fusion prevail.

On a...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley wrote on Jun. 13, 2014 @ 03:03 GMT
I played around with Excel last night and came up with a way to predict the contest winner. Basically, by downloading all the data pertinent to this contest such as the title of the essay, how many posts, the community rating, the public rating, how many community ratings and how many public ratings, and one more column for a combination of all the ratings and how the essay judges are likely to weight all the columns with respect to eachother, it spits out an answer.

With all those numbers, I sorted on each column and changed the color of the top 10 essays in each column. Then when it was all done I just looked for the "most colorful essay".

And the winner (will likely be)...

Open Peer Review to Save the World by Philip Gibbs

#2: Recognizing the Value of Play by Jonathan J. Dickau

#3: Bohr-like model for black holes: the route for quantum gravity by Christian Corda

#3 wins the slot because the contest judges will want to be science-minded. That's why Corda will likely win out over the Honorable Mention

How to save the world by Sabine Hossenfelder

because #3 is very science-y and #4 is a bit more of a preachy title without as much of a hint towards what the essay is about.

Well, there's my prediction. It was enjoyable to participate in this contest. By my own criteria, my essay wasn't "colorful" at all. Maybe the judges will score highly on ease of understanding and practicality? Nahh, the guys who are at the top of this list still do very well in such categories.

Good luck to you all.

Kevin O

b

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley wrote on Jun. 28, 2014 @ 06:06 GMT
MFMP Nominated for NOBEL PEACE PRIZE!!!

How many other contestants can claim that?

MFMP Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Cold fusion: the “heirs” of Fleischmann candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize

[Translate]

The following is a slightly modified google-translate of the original article in Italian by Roberta De Carolis and published by...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley wrote on Jun. 28, 2014 @ 06:17 GMT
Humanity would be steered properly by taking notice of this development. No one else can claim that the organization they were seeking to highlight in this essay contest was IN THE SAME TIME FRAME highlighted by the Nobel Peace Prize process.

Bookmark and Share

Author Kevin O'Malley wrote on Sep. 14, 2014 @ 06:46 GMT
How many of these entries won a $20M prize? Certainly not the winners. Just mine.

On E-Cat World there is a post about the Forbidden Energy XPrize that was discussed sometime back:

http://www.e-catworld.com/2014/09/13/xprize-offers-20-m
illion-for-forbidden-energy/

A video of the pitch to the audience at the "Visioneering" conference is included. The prize will pay 20 million to the winner if the conditions are met. I find it encouraging that this prize was put together. It suggests to me that there is some receptivity to cold fusion in the larger public beyond the people who follow the usual sites and lists.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.