Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Neil Bates: on 6/2/14 at 0:16am UTC, wrote Alan, bold and creative thinking like yours should at least be appreciated,...

Gbenga Ogungbuyi: on 5/23/14 at 20:28pm UTC, wrote Dear Allan, Your short but pungent essay is quite creative. I thank God I...

Peter Jackson: on 5/21/14 at 19:54pm UTC, wrote Alan, A great example of how a well argued case can almost sell anything...

Aaron Feeney: on 5/10/14 at 4:14am UTC, wrote P.S., I will use the following rating scale to rate the essays of authors...

Ross Cevenst: on 4/30/14 at 12:04pm UTC, wrote If you get a chance to rate my essay Alan, that would be great!

Ross Cevenst: on 4/28/14 at 13:31pm UTC, wrote Judging from a quick glance of these, you have a very creative mind! Once...

Alan Grimes: on 4/26/14 at 22:13pm UTC, wrote Not really, I have some stuff public on my Google Drive. I'm not sure how...

Ross Cevenst: on 4/26/14 at 12:39pm UTC, wrote Alan, do you have a website with more of your writing?

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Lorraine, Thanks for sharing,we speak about our main global..." in Till Next Time

Georgina Woodward: "Robert, re. your ""one huge mistake"- they are describing non-existent..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Robert McEachern: "They are proud, because they have solved some problems, which are..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, I do have an interest in the history, but not as much as I used..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment presents 3 causally linked state..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Roger Granet: "Well put! Physics is hard, but biochemistry (my area), other sciences..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol Zeeya it is well thought this algorythm selective when names are put in..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 19, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: A Vision for the Future by Alan F. Grimes [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Alan F. Grimes wrote on Mar. 12, 2014 @ 14:57 GMT
Essay Abstract

In this paper I present the case in favor of a physical merging of the human species as a potential future for humanity.

Author Bio

I'm a thinker, philosopher, and transhumanist. I study a variety of technological topics and hope to one day get into a position where I can do some advanced research.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 18, 2014 @ 16:40 GMT
Dear Mr. Grimes,

I was utterly fascinated by your extraordinarily well written essay. I could not shake off the feeling that you may be right about the awful future that awaits us, -except-.

Except, the purpose of Big Science is to make money. Only a few of the very richest will be able to afford an artificial brain upload. Medicare and the Obamacare will not cover the procedure.

Good Heavens, the United States Government has cut $9 billion from the food-stamp program and not a penny from the expensive listening for intelligent messages from outer space program. Think about it for a moment: We can only see into the past the scientists proclaim. So we have the white male aliens on the planet Gloom, which is orbiting a sun in a galaxy that our scientists know is 6.113 billion light years from earth. The Gloom sun is about to crash into another star in a spectacular Super Nova. Just before it does so, the residents manage to send off a binary coded message that only takes 3 billion years to reach earth because it is travelling faster than the speed of light. After using the Turing decoder, our scientists are convinced that the message reads, “It is getting hotter.”

With best regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Georgina Woodward wrote on Apr. 20, 2014 @ 12:35 GMT
Hi Alan,

that is a really surprising, fascinating and quite terrifying essay. Thank you for sharing such an unconventional vision of the future.I really don't like the idea of trans-humanism but I must accept that I live in a world where there are people who are excited by these kinds of ideas.

I think its important for us as a species going into the future to have integrity of purpose and values that will aid our survival. We may have to sacrifice certain freedoms but by adapting to the challenges should be able to achieve sustainability while remaining human, and without becoming feral.

One of the advantages of being separate individuals is that we are all able to have our own experiences and develop knowledge in different areas which makes us better able to function as a society. Being merged together to give better computing power of a super-organism does not seem to me to be advancing humanity but creating a monstrosity. Think this is definitely steering the wrong way but don't know if I can stop it.

Hope you get many interested readers. Some might even like your vision.

Good luck, Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Ross Cevenst wrote on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 08:56 GMT
Hi Alan,

"The first thing the project to carry out this proposal needs to do is to inject the meme that it might one day be technologically feasible to create a superorganism by merging people together."

AHA! I have discovered your cunning self-referential plan!

Seriously though, very thought provoking essay! Uploaded to oblivion, or made to become "one with the many". That's a rather stark future! Is there a subtle satirical element to your essay? Thanks for something that was so finely written, if fairly confronting, in any case!

Ross

Bookmark and Share

Author Alan F. Grimes replied on Apr. 25, 2014 @ 00:37 GMT
Curses! Foiled again! =P

Unfortunately, this is a real problem we're facing. There is actually a group of people out there who seem entirely convinced that in the next thirty or forty years that most people will cheerfully upload their minds into computers just as they have bought cellular phones. http://www.carboncopies.org/

Bookmark and Share

Author Alan F. Grimes replied on Apr. 25, 2014 @ 06:46 GMT
Unfortunately, I used the wrong characters in my previous reply and it got cut off. Take a look at this article and tell me if I'm wrong trying to wedge open a second alternative to the future of humanity so that hopefully a third, fourth, fifth, sixth.... option can be developed as well.

http://www.watoday.com.au/technology/sci-tech/human-brains-a
s-software-the-next-tech-step-20140430-zqy62.html

Bookmark and Share

Ross Cevenst replied on Apr. 25, 2014 @ 13:06 GMT
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the links. I was aware of the aspiration for this technology, but I didn't realise Kurzweil and others were so certain of success and so soon. I have a feeling uploading will run into more technical barriers than they are predicting - I don't think we've seen definitive proof that it is or isn't possible just yet.

You're certainly right to suggest alternatives -...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Ross Cevenst wrote on Apr. 26, 2014 @ 12:39 GMT
Alan, do you have a website with more of your writing?

Bookmark and Share

Author Alan F. Grimes replied on Apr. 26, 2014 @ 22:13 GMT
Not really, I have some stuff public on my Google Drive. I'm not sure how much is visible from your side.

In the recent and good category is:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11FAEfW-8ZObByqWOfFz0wJpa
HO3XfpTMBCxCfBHQNJA/edit?usp=sharing

older and also good is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14gAvSlen6-jXQof76ByQytGd
9QOrloK1cyNc1Nw70yE/edit?usp=sharing

topical but for a more select audience are:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xd0O7SeBoFh5t9wQF7v7azBI
GTJMlJmyNh8AAhy7HUc/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/
document/d/1QFYx2J-I_GcASGn3cfMD6w40Kqp1-yKPd61E26GKwkM/edit
?usp=sharing

and

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11arywTGIc
evj72CX8E38Uq1fFnoa4MR5M0zewM5SNmw/edit which was written in 1998.

Bookmark and Share

Ross Cevenst replied on Apr. 28, 2014 @ 13:31 GMT
Judging from a quick glance of these, you have a very creative mind! Once I'm finished reading entries, I'll be giving yours a high rating even though I wasn't totally convinced, because it was very thought-provoking. I hope you keep up the writing, and hope you check out my entry if you have a chance!

Bookmark and Share

Ross Cevenst wrote on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 12:04 GMT
If you get a chance to rate my essay Alan, that would be great!

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 21, 2014 @ 19:54 GMT
Alan,

A great example of how a well argued case can almost sell anything to anyone. But I suspect you deliberately went a 'bridge too far'! It was a nice change from those who think we're already computers, but I didn't find a lot else nice about the vision. An excellent 'portent' I feel, which should certainly not be languishing down here. Take this ladder, but mind those snakes!

If you think QM should be comprehensible do read my essay and let me know if I succeeded in dispelling the spooky nonsense.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Gbenga Michael Ogungbuyi wrote on May. 23, 2014 @ 20:28 GMT
Dear Allan,

Your short but pungent essay is quite creative. I thank God I read your piece before the end of this episode. The fact that you do not have any reference and footnotes show that the contents were product of your imaginations. This is fantastic. You offered various scientific approaches and their respective limitations. One of the good ways to build the creative skill is to continue in the use of your imagination. Therefore, let's this forum be your starting point. I want to read more about you after now.

I will rate you highest to increase your visibility.

I invite you to read my article STRIKING A BALANCE BETWEEN TECHNOLOGY AND ECOSYSTEM using this direct link http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2020

I anticipate your view as comments as well as your rating.

Wishing you a great reward for your imagination and skill.

Regards

Gbenga

Bookmark and Share

Neil Bates wrote on Jun. 2, 2014 @ 00:16 GMT
Alan, bold and creative thinking like yours should at least be appreciated, even if readers don't agree with your proposal.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.