Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Anonymous: on 5/29/14 at 8:36am UTC, wrote Hello David Georgina Parry rightfully pointed out that when in her...

Peter Jackson: on 5/21/14 at 19:43pm UTC, wrote David, An enjoyable read raising some valid points and questions. I...

Aaron Feeney: on 5/10/14 at 3:47am UTC, wrote P.S., I will use the following rating scale to rate the essays of authors...

Anonymous: on 5/9/14 at 1:41am UTC, wrote Hi David, you ask a great many worthwhile questions in your essay but I...

Ross Cevenst: on 4/24/14 at 8:13am UTC, wrote Hi Joe, The search for extra-terrestrial life occupies a tiny tiny tiny...

Gyenge Valeria: on 3/9/14 at 14:08pm UTC, wrote Dear David! Congratulation! I enjoyed reading your essay. It raised well...

Joe Fisher: on 3/6/14 at 17:27pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Brown, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your essay. May I just point...

David Brown: on 3/4/14 at 16:08pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract This essay raises questions concerning who or what...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Robert, thank you. I now understand the difference between decisions and..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Robert McEachern: "Making a decision, means selecting between discrete, a priori established..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Eckard,you seems persuaded by your Words and thoughts.I don t understand..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "In Darwinism/Weismannism there is no first cause, just a causal chain...." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 15, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: How Can People Plan for the Technological Future and Who Should Be Their Guides into the Future? by David Brown [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author David Brown wrote on Mar. 4, 2014 @ 16:08 GMT
Essay Abstract

This essay raises questions concerning who or what might influence technology. If the future becomes increasingly incomprehensible, then will people turn more toward religion?

Author Bio

David Brown has an M.A. in mathematics from Princeton University and was for a number of years a computer programmer.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 6, 2014 @ 17:27 GMT
Dear Mr. Brown,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your essay. May I just point out something that you appear to have missed? Big Science and Big Religion are commercial ventures. They have been specifically designed to make money. They have no expectation of ever making a scrap of sense.

Presently, the predominantly white male government of the United States has spent a few billion dollars erecting machinery that supposedly can recognize signs of extra-terrestrial intelligent life forms. A few white, primarily male scientists get paid thousands of dollars a year to monitor electronic hissing noises detectors.

The recently passed budget of the United States cut $9 billion from the Food Stamp program. Scientists of course cannot allow emotions get in the way of a hefty paycheck. Big Religion is delighted. Poverty pays better than affluence.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Ross Cevenst replied on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 08:13 GMT
Hi Joe,

The search for extra-terrestrial life occupies a tiny tiny tiny fraction of the world's budgets. Considering its implications for humanity surely its worth this small sum? Things like defence, health and welfare receive many many many times larger shares of public spending (I'll avoid getting into normative politics on these issues).

I agree poverty is a big issue though deserving of better analysis than we give it now!

Ross

Bookmark and Share

Gyenge Valeria wrote on Mar. 9, 2014 @ 14:08 GMT
Dear David!

Congratulation! I enjoyed reading your essay. It raised well formed fundamental questions to which I also called attention in my essay. I tried also questioning - Whether who could be responsible for running and maintaining those incomprehensible (at least for me:) technologies and what final objective for?

Although I did not pointed out such exactly in my essay, I was glad to read in your essay the more precise questions and statements.

I peculiarly liked:

"...Arthur C. Clarke suggested that a sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic..."

"...Does artificial intelligence have far more connection with molecular biology than with mathematics and foundational issues in physics? .."

"...Do foundational issues in physics have profound connections with psychology and religion?..."

I deem, there is much involved here (we should name rather Creation science) than ordinary physics. Read my comments on pages I found relevant, and I suggest reading my essay too.

You can also search for 'Metatron 24 breastplate' especially > grid-gateway-to-future regarding to your scientific papers, mainly "Does Each Superstring Have 24 D-Brane Charges?" (All is too technical and incomprehensible for me, at least at my present consciousness state and my present life time, but I can feel connections to somehow resolve certain deep problems. )

Kind regards,

Valeria

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on May. 9, 2014 @ 01:41 GMT
Hi David,

you ask a great many worthwhile questions in your essay but I felt rather bombardrd with so very many to contemplate in a very short time.It becomes a kind of "mind fog". Just one or two of those questions might have formed the basis of an essay. The second half of the essay seems to be lots of quotes put together, talking sense but I think it would have been better to intersperse them with your own novel, original thoughts. I'm not sure if they address all of the questions raised, I think not, though I haven't checked.

The problem of keeping AI under control is interesting. A large dog can learn respect by not being allowed through doorways before the owner, being made to move rather than being stepped over, having to relinquish toys and food, not walking ahead. Perhaps there must be places AI is not allowed to go before obtaining permission, perhaps freedom can be taken away at the will of a human. Perhaps AI should not be allowed to pursue its own searches but be made to 'heel' by having to work on the human directed tasks. Perhaps it can be rewarded with free time or play activities as a reward for compliance. Though it may require feelings of pleasure and displeasure to guide its ongoing behavior, without that it may have a specific kind of learning disability, that prevents it from understanding its social position and social expectations.

Children too need discipline and reward to learn good manners and etiquette and generally acceptable behaviour. Neglected children and dogs can have behavioral problems because they have not received that essential nurturing input,that gives good outcomes. I wonder if we will also have to have societies for the prevention of cruelty to artificial intelligences.

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 21, 2014 @ 19:43 GMT
David,

An enjoyable read raising some valid points and questions. I suspect only at the bottom due to mention of the 'God' word people so fear, and lack of responses from you. I find most of the value here is reading and discussing other essays. Nevertheless I'll score it fairly, which I hope will lift you to a better place!

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on May. 29, 2014 @ 08:36 GMT
Hello David

Georgina Parry rightfully pointed out that when in her 'comments' section I most rudely did nothing more than regurgitate a precise of my own essay without a single comment on her own work, that such was 'inappropriate'. I could only apologise, remorsefully agree & thank her for pointing it out !

Why am I telling you this ? Simply because you asked all - well many or...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.