Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Wilhelmus de Wilde: on 4/6/15 at 15:51pm UTC, wrote thank you Tim, indeed words are the influence of our thoughts, positive...

Tim Rappl: on 4/5/15 at 19:59pm UTC, wrote np.reddit.com/r/DeepIntoYouTube/comments/31f31b/deepintor9ddit_hawk_nelson_w...

Wilhelmus de Wilde: on 4/5/15 at 13:41pm UTC, wrote Dear TIM The adress you gave is not working not on archive nor on youtube,...

Tim Rappl: on 4/5/15 at 3:48am UTC, wrote web.archive.org/web/20150405033845/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQW2FFt3-...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 6/14/14 at 18:01pm UTC, wrote Thank you very much, dear Wilhelmus! I congratulate you on your...

Cristinel Stoica: on 6/13/14 at 18:16pm UTC, wrote Dear Wilhelmus, Thank you for the comment under my essay, and I agree the...

Rick Searle: on 6/13/14 at 16:28pm UTC, wrote Hello Wilhelmus, I enjoyed your essay very much but am myself on the fence...

Wilhelmus de Wilde: on 6/6/14 at 15:37pm UTC, wrote Beautiful Vladimir, I cannot but agree Wilhelmus

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "An other point very important considering this nature.Ecology is so..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

janey hug: "Vape Juice Wholesale When it pertains to vape juice, you require to obtain..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

Forever Fiances: "Welcome to Forever Fiances, an invitation company in San Diego. Since 2008,..." in Vita Nuova

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which change is happening, is sequential..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "In the many cat version as time progresses there are less and less cats..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Mr Musser,this article is very interesting.Max Tegmark speaks about an..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Lorraine, Thanks for sharing,we speak about our main global..." in Till Next Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 21, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Steering the Future of Consciousness? by Wilhelmus de Wilde [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Mar. 4, 2014 @ 15:55 GMT
Essay Abstract

Life , from its origin on, has influenced our planet, the result is now a planet with 7 billion people, who are contributing but not always supporting to the total well-being. The individual influence has increased since communication has become essential in our society. In the far future we will have to deal with our sun becoming a red giant, in the near future it will be our main care to steer the mentality of mankind in order to survive. The “special place of our planet and the fine-tuning of the physical constants is something we cannot influence but we have to appreciate. The reason of this unique situation we can find in the “reference of reference” which is our consciousness. The steering of our future lies in the deeper understanding and development of our consciousness, the creator of what we are aware of as reality where matter is an intuitive idea. Technology needs not to be an Existential Risk, because technology is material, and material means “created reality” by our consciousness. We may be on the threshold of creating a new kind of quantum consciousness that can assist us in reaching another level of reality.

Author Bio

Born the 26th July 1945 in Breda, the Netherlands. Studied architecture at the Technical University of DELFT in HOLLAND. Married in 1978 with Corrine Hesterman, and has two sons who live in Groningen Holland. Lives since 16 years in France and is 3 years retired. Interests Philosophy, Science. see also community/forum/topics 913, 1370 and 1810

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 6, 2014 @ 16:37 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus,

I was quite entertained reading your essay. There is a sort of frantic desperation about it that is pretty compelling. Fortunately, you have provided a good example of how modern educational methodology, by dealing exclusively with unverifiable supposedly perfect abstractions, has succeeded in producing a whole class of people acutely prone to suffering abstraction distraction disorder.

You wrote: “One of the possibilities to enhance our senses maybe the future ‘quantum computer”…

As I have tactfully pointed out in my essay, REALITY, ONCE, only unique exists. Unique cannot be enhanced, entranced, or advanced. Our senses are already operating at maximum capability. I do not care how much time, money and effort the scientists put into activating it, no quantum computer will ever be built capable of expelling a unique long, loud, very smelly fart.

Telescopes, microscopes, and all fabricated instruments utterly distort reality due to the fact that they rely on supposedly identical constructed parts. Computers have obliterated reality entirely. Speedometers lie about a vehicle travelling at 60 mph, when the default speed of all surfaces is the speed of light.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Vladimir F. Tamari replied on Mar. 7, 2014 @ 22:27 GMT
Dear Joe

Abstraction Distraction Disorder! You deserve a Nobel prize in medicine for identifying this modern disease. Wilhelmus describes the density of information in our individual overlapping spheres, and that is perfectly true. But compared to the stability of communication between communities and individuals in the pre- industrial age, these modern whirlpools of information may turn our collective brain into a sort of radioactive info- sludge.

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir F. Tamari wrote on Mar. 7, 2014 @ 22:11 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus

A very interesting essay. Your starting point (the crowded Earth with the present promise of technology) and your conclusion ( we must not be short- sighted and egotistical and must educate our children to be responsible) are excellent. Apart from some interesting discussion about consciousness and matter, unfortunately there is much in the main part of the essay that is based on what I think are unproven fashionable ideas in physics - such as the multiverse.

Even so I found your concept of individuals each with their their sphere of consciousness merging into some sort of universal consciousness fascinating. It is like the Noosphere (if memory serves) of Pierre de Chardin. It is like the Internet! You mention our almost total dependence on electricity and computers but instead of worrying about whether humanity will survive after billions of years we should worry more about the many scenarios of possible global disasters in the very near future!

With best wishes

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Mar. 18, 2014 @ 19:35 GMT
Wilhelmus,

"The consciousness of humanity reaching into the ultimate non-materialistic form" sounds pie-in-the-sky to realists but it is a worthy concept that I can't dispute. I certainly don't have one to achieve this.

It is a well-thought-out essay with a lot of concepts to consider. The SSS sphere is fetching. Yours is only my second read. I want to read more before I start rating. I did like your ideas, including your assessment of future threats and the ultimate dissolution of our world.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Mar. 19, 2014 @ 15:06 GMT
Thank you for your encouraging words Jim,

I was beginning to loose mentality.

I will also reply on your thread

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover replied on May. 20, 2014 @ 23:07 GMT
Wilhelmus,

The time grows short, so I am revisiting and rating. My essay speaks of a more transcendent use of the brain (looking within) as part of steering the future and more intelligence use of science.

Have you had a chance to read my essay?

Jim

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman wrote on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 01:26 GMT
Wilhelmus,

"I understand that the so called "realists" cannot accept my way of thinking, but in my turn I say that also the "realist" way of thinking is an availability in Total Simultaneity, they only have their own "program" or available explanation. And... In Total Simultaneity they are also represented, so if they they do not agree, they do not agree with themselves."

I think...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 16:51 GMT
Dear John

Thank you for your encouraging words.

Of course the what we call BB , a something from nothing , is not my favorite explanation of reality ether, you are right when yoy say that a dynamic universe without a zero point is more understandable as a deterministic ad infinitum till zero. It is nice to think of the heartbeat of the universe, the only thing is that this comparison...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 18:05 GMT
Wilhelmus,

I'm a bit in Joe Fisher's camp, about the importance of the singularity of perception. I know when I, as an individual, start trying to multiply my perception, that signal of my own awareness would be quickly lost in the cacophony. It is possible to take a generalized view, but that also is refined and defined to a particular range of input, frequency and amplitude, with much of the detail of incorporated foreground and background edited out. The problem with science these days is that it tends not to take the general view, dismissing it as shallow. This leave professionals very knowledgeable about a small range and often divorced from context. While people with a broad view tend to be remiss in many of the details.

As I said, this is because knowledge is a function and consequence of definition and so by its very nature, has to be limited. Thus I'm only really concerned with the conditions and how to improve them on this planet, not what could theoretically happen across a range of other planets, galaxies, universes, etc.

Regards,

John M

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Mar. 23, 2014 @ 17:22 GMT
John,

Other planets, galaxies and universes are ALL part of our consciousness, and as so are forming the totality of our reality.

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Mar. 24, 2014 @ 12:46 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus,

I enjoyed reading your essay!

From the papers published in the journal of consciousness exploration and research, we find that the most fundamental raw-material of this universe is:

not only a real entity, but it is also aware of its own existence; i.e. cosmic consciousness is the most fundamental reality. This universe, with all its 'particles' and 'fields' are a process, or a phenomenon of fluctuations and vibrations spontanously arisen in the ultimate reality. Since, it is not technically possible to generate purely single-frequency laser,or to make single-Hertz narrowband filters, all sources of laser have certain 'line-width' of a few Gega-Herts, or at least a few Kilo-Herts bandwidth; and since these waves of a band coherently add only at discrete places in space and time, we get 'particles' called photons, electrons, quarks...etc. In the double-slit-experiments. The wide band of waves pass through both the slits, but these waves coherently add onlt at discrete places in space and time we detect 'particles'. Thus this whole universe is a paly of waves arisen in the ultimate self-aware Reality. That is why "Just Six Numbers" match so perfectly and precisely. The Sun becoming red giant is a sort of dream in the ultimate reality. Thus there is nothing to worry about much; it is all a play; and in a play we try our level best to win; but even if we loose in a play we do not loose anuthing! The Ultimate Reality is indistructible, and un distroyable. What do you think, Wilhelmus!

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Mar. 24, 2014 @ 16:31 GMT
Dear Hasmukh

I fully agree, what you are naming Ultimate Reality is the same idea as my Total Simultaneity, only TS is comparable to GOD. The sun becoming red giant is a time-life line in our causal consciousness, it is only causal there is an infinity of YOU's in TS there is the direct entanglemnt of your causal consciousness to GOD.

The new BICEP2 results only are mirrors of yhis causal consciousness, The BB is not needed for an existance GOD, it is only one of the ways he expresses Himself (one of he availabilities in TS). An eternal heartbeat of the material universe without BB is as Great as the idea of a BB.

pls see also the post above.

best regards

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Harlan Swyers wrote on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 18:16 GMT
Wilhelmus,

Your goal:

"The best “technology” to achieve these ideals is taking care of our children and educate them not to strive for(short)economic profit but to strive for the growth of their own consciousness, so that every other individual can share in its findings."

Is very nicely stated, and hopefully we can find a day when we can truly break free of short term economic needs.

Best,

Harlan

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 15:55 GMT
dear Harlan,

Most of the "NEEDS" are created by the "economy".

We can however always "THINK FREE"

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Apr. 13, 2014 @ 00:38 GMT
I enjoyed your paper Wilhelmus..

I find myself agreeing on many points, and overall I like the way you presented your thesis, but a little more time might have been spent editing or polishing the manuscript - to create a better flow of ideas. Also in criticism, you make some naive statements about quantum fields and other things, but you have evidently done your homework and tried to home in on things you know well. Indeed, your central thrust being the growth of consciousness as a prime motivator is inspired, and seldom finds expression in Science essays. This is to be lauded and admired. And indeed my own essay focuses on how important it is to enhance consciousness growth. But there are complications with some of your ideas.

In order to avoid the existential risk from a computer awakening singularity event, we are in a race to build machines capable of more subtle forms of reasoning, before the interconnections of machines reach a critical mass while computers are still brutish in their nature. We need to be able to build robots like R2D2 and C3PO, in order to avoid having robots like the Terminator as our tormentors and slave masters. Will we still remain useful to the advanced machines of tomorrow, if we give them superhuman capabilities? Are we better off giving them the capacity for human-like emotions and feeling-based motivations? Perhaps we are better off taking the existential risk seriously, and deciding what outcomes would increase the likelihood of human survival.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Apr. 13, 2014 @ 00:49 GMT
I should add..

Part of what I am trying to do is assure that humans get to the singularity first, rather than the machines. I am all for truly intelligent machines, and we are likely better off if they are smarter than they need to be, but we need to give human beings the edge. If we were better able to encourage the natural evolution of the learning process in our young people, we would help them to maintain the natural advantage humans have over machines, but efforts to systematize education have forced children to be more mechanical rather than allowing them to be more human. So the emphasis of the human angle in your essay is appreciated.

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Apr. 13, 2014 @ 21:21 GMT
1st response:

Where did I say “…’each difference of view’ leads to war…”?

I did say, “Competition must be allowed between religions, between approaches to technology, and between approaches to the environment.” in the paper and “The room for different views may be had if the views include tolerance for other views (as the rise from tribes to chiefdoms suggests) and include the cooperation with the different views.” in a reply.

Hodge

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 00:20 GMT
Wilhelmus,

In regards to Total Simultaneity, I should mention two ideas worth examining. First off; you should check out Phil Gibbs' "Theory of Theories" which is explained in his Event Symmetric Space-Time book, and also in some articles in Prespacetime and on viXra, as part of his Cyclotron Notebook papers. In brief; the concept is that there is a collection of all possible applicable Math in theory space, which exists in a kind of superposition where reality manifests as a path integral involving condensation of all possible theories that explain certain results. In a way, what is real is determined by the density of various possibilities being a consequence of different theories - all at once - rather than only one theory at a time being true.

Also of note is Paola Zizzi's "Big Wow" theory of Cosmology in a Computing Universe model that involves a massive superposition where what causes particular threads to decohere is a sort of conscious awakening for the universe as a whole. This reasoning is based on the calculation for superposed qubits in the pre-decoupling universe, and comparing that to Penrose's calculation of superpositions in microtubules in the human brain - finding them to be of the same order of magnitude. Zizzi concluded that the universe's "Big Wow" event is what caused our specific universe (and others) to congeal out of the primeval fireball. I'll try to point you to the right papers on arXiv, once I've had a chance to look it up.

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 17:15 GMT
Thanks a lot Jonathan,

Indeed I know Phil (my articles are also published with Huping Hu's "Scientific God Journal") but did not know that he published this items, I await your info

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 22:34 GMT
Fellow Comrade,

You wrote, "Life , from its origin on, has influenced our planet, the result is now a planet with 7 billion people". Who can argue this? And probably the influence is proportionate to time of existence which means it will continue to expand like elasticity. I hope it will not get to the braking point according to Robert Hook with time! How will this feeding bottle you called earth sustains the population explosion and guarantee the survival of humanity?

It is interesting you wrote about the sun as the source of energy. Let's tell the world to use this energy in proportion to the balance of the 7 billion people inter-relating with other creatures in the universe and the natural habitat.

Your article counts and worth ruminating.

God bless.

Gbenga Michael Ogungbuyi

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 15:53 GMT
Thanks a lot for your encouraging words Gbenga.

You and I are both dependant on the energy the sun gives us any moment

so indeed

we are ALL comrads and brothers

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Raymond Law wrote on Apr. 15, 2014 @ 14:45 GMT
Hi, Wilhusmus,

My email address is .

Thanks,

Raymond Law,

HONG KONG

Bookmark and Share

Ken Hon Seto wrote on Apr. 15, 2014 @ 14:50 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus,

I enjoyed reading your essay.

Although consciousness is an abstractive concept....I believe that I have made a physical connection of the processes involved. The paper in the following link gives such connection.

Regards,

Ken Seto

Bookmark and Share

Ken Hon Seto replied on Apr. 15, 2014 @ 14:54 GMT
Sorry....the link for the paper is as follows:

http://www.modelmechanics.org/2011life.pdf

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 16:01 GMT
Dear Ken;

You place your E-strings in the brain.

I argue that matter does not matter and also the brain is an emerging entity.

I will read your article in full

best regards

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Walter Putnam wrote on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 22:17 GMT
Thank you for writing this essay, Wilhelmus. It is very thought-provoking, and I am especially intrigued by your remarks on the illusion of matter. This tracks closely with my own thinking along these lines. It seems that beyond space and time, matter and energy, there has to be an underlying dimension, without form or substance. Whether it is called consciousness, information, aether, God or anything else, it clearly possesses some organizing force or else there would be chaos. Or perhaps there is chaos, and I am merely suffering from the illusion of the organization of matter. In either event, the promise you offer of a time of heightened consciousness on this planet and in its environs offers hope for the future.

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 16:03 GMT
Dear Walter

You got me...

Indeed my Total Simultaneity is for me a new explanation of the GOD perception (that gives me a lot of peace)...

thanks

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Ajay Bhatla replied on May. 2, 2014 @ 17:35 GMT
Wilhelmus,

Walter Putnam asked my question and it looks like you agree, that the first point of your essay is: There exists another "something" other than the things we think we know well like, in Walter's words: space, time, matter, energy .... You call this other thing 'consciousness' while others have other names for it.

My questions to you are: What is it and Where does this exist? Does it exist in individual "units" or is it something collective (your "Total Being", perhaps)and shared between units?

If it is an individual attribute, then it is likely to exhibit differences? If it is collective, it needs to have a master plan or central thought - is this just human "survival"?

I loved your analogy of humanity being like a "child in a cradle.' Nature, as we see in all varieties of life, encourages the child to leave the cradle and live in the world - this is like your 'child falling out of the cradle' or is it not?

Other than "not to strive for (short) economic profit", what else needs to be communicated to the child so that s/he can do the right thing? What exactly are some attributes of consciousness?

One suggestion for a future version of this essay: provide a list of definitions to guide the reader. I needed this very badly.

Very interesting point on the existence of the 'something else' you call "consciousness".

By the way, I believe that your 'consciousness' is an individual attribute and responsible for all the good and the bad that exists in the world, which has usually had the hand of a specific individual orchestrating voluntary change. My essay here. I wonder what you think of it.

Thanks,

- Ajay

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on May. 4, 2014 @ 15:54 GMT
Dear Ajay,

Imagine every individual surrounded by a sphere where all signals from everywhere are coming in and hit the surface simultaneously. In our causal existence where each location of an individual has a different location on the grid, so each sphere is different from the other. This means that each causal consciousness is receiving different data for his senses, so is from the beginning on creating what we call "individuality" being different from the other...

The original source of any (causal)consciousness is its non causal part in Total Simultaneity. So perhaps there we are ALL "ONE" (GOD?).

The causal part of this ALL Consciousness is imprisoned in what we are calling TIME, where different eternal now moments are lined up to "memory". This implicates "differences" that can be seen as good or bad, just because of the fact that they are different. This duality in our causal life with birth and death is so a result of the causal consciousness being trapped in time.

I will read your essay.

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

James Dunn wrote on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 12:07 GMT
Is this the Wilhelmus that I had the discussion about "What is Nothing" several years ago in the Quantum Physics forum? If so, our discussion spawned my treatise about a method and pathway to control space-time.

My position was that "Nothing" does not exist in an environment coupled with relativity.

Quantum Entangled Singularities

http://qesdunn.pbworks.com

The building of relativity through the model of quantum causality.

Axiom of Choice extended to include Relativity

http://vixra.org/pdf/1402.0041v1.pdf

So the idea of Quantum Consciousness is of interest for me. Consider our short 30,000 years of technological significance and our pathway of growth and our desire to evolve. Now consider the potential of civilizations that are billions of years older technologically then ourselves. The likelihood that they have already done what we propose to do is obvious. So having them be a part of every atom within us is not beyond consideration; i.e. related to quantum entanglements.

Your abstract caught my attention, I will read your essay next.

Bookmark and Share

James Dunn replied on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 14:05 GMT
From James Dunn

FQXi Submission:

Graduated Certification for Certification of Common Sense

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2045

You might find the Princeton University Global Consciousness Project interesting. Since their first and on-going research related to human event based non-random event signatures, researchers have developed an online interferometer...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 16:08 GMT
Thank you James,

firm bases are not possible for emerging entities.

Our soul is in my perception the coupling of the non-caused consciousness with its temporal causal part, in TS it is ALL ONE (GOD?)

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Ram Kunwar Bansal wrote on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 17:57 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus,

While appreciating your view of consciousness being the essence of humanity, I beg to differ with you on material as the created reality. Material too is fundamental to the Nature, at par with humanity and consciousness. No material has ever been created, but only transformed. Indeed, nothing, even the human consciousness, won't exist without material.

Any way, I thank you for stirring human minds in a big way on appreciating value of human consciousness.

Bookmark and Share

sridattadev kancharla wrote on Apr. 19, 2014 @ 23:21 GMT
Dear Will,

I love your essays and the depth and knowledge of consciousness you share in them and as you know I consider you as my alter ego and I know that you feel the same way too. I totally agree with you that we need to nurture our children with this knowledge of consciousness and love for all which is the essential property of consciousness. Internet is the best medium to achieve this level of communication of free unlimited knowledge about all aspects of life and hence I chose to create a website that would provide information to all those who seek it in a easier way.

Please see Any Body Can Do - Everything For Good which is a custom category search engine and a portal of portals.

I have also blogged about the consciousness and included several videos on that topic in the everything section of the site. This is my way of contributing to the world of a tool to assist our children to gain the awareness for a better future on this planet in this duality of existence.

Love,

Sridattadev.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 02:30 GMT
Very happy to see you - Dear Author Wilhelmus de Wilde

(I change of to call like this to better suit all ages)

I would love your warning be for future: an over-reliance on the Artificial utility as:

"Without electricity and computers mankind will now become in a chaotic status"

Best wishes with the highest score for the passion and enthusiasm of you

Hải.CaoHoàng

Bookmark and Share

Member Rick Searle wrote on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 19:03 GMT
Wilhelmus,

I enjoyed your essay.

Here are some thoughts: I have often wondered whether theories of the multi-verse were liberating or merely throw the determinist web even wider. What good, really is my freedom, if leaving the house results in every possible outcome?

As for the role of consciousness in quantum effects: isn't it really action we are talking about rather than consciousness by itself. Observation isn't passive but a deliberate action. We need to change our consciousness in so far as it influences our actions, but it is our actions that it a sense create the future, even if most of the future's aspects remain unpredictable and we are never sovereign over the shape it will take.

Whatever those differences between us, I heartily agree with your comment on my post:

"It is in my opinion the overall "mentality" that has to change from egoistic short term profit ideas to a long term non-profit sharing our potentiality mentality. The average age of a human being is just 80 yers and that also influences his actions when they are influencing his wellnes during this time, if we would age longer then we would perhaps have more attention for a future that is longer away as those 80 years..."

Thank you for your thought provoking essay, best of luck!

Rick Searle

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Apr. 26, 2014 @ 14:36 GMT
Wilhelmus,

Another fresh and interesting probe of what consciousness is and, maybe, can do in the future. I liked the fascinating concept of a 'new kind of quantum consciousness', and agree that; 'in order to be able to create a 'better' universe... The steering of the future lies in a deeper understanding of our consciousness.'

I'm a great supporter of the concepts of 'the infinite amount of futures' in more than one way, and I found the 'sphere of consciousness' concept interesting. All round another great and original view who, why, where and what we are. Very well done again.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Christian Corda wrote on Apr. 27, 2014 @ 14:32 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus,

I have just read your Essay.

I find it very nice, here are my comments:

1) I appreciate your abstract statements that "The special place of our planet and the fine-tuning of the physical constants is something we cannot influence but we have to appreciate." and that "Technology needs not to be an Existential Risk". I completely agree with you on these...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Margarita Iudin wrote on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 02:17 GMT
Hello Mr. de Wilde,

I read your submission and I want you to read mine. I like you to mention Gottlieb Wilhelm Leibnitz. Leibnitz is a sort of my childhood‘s hero. I think about myself as a follower of Leibnitz. I am pleased to know that people read Leibnitz.

In my essay I write about the imagining, analogous imagining and how people think. You may find it interesting. The essay is a part of the collection of the futuristic essays, including one essay concerning the design of the physical world.

You may look at my entry about imagining the future. I hope my essay will encourage you to learn more about ways of knowing and to apply analogous imagining in your field of interests.

You are welcome to share the link to my essay with your correspondents

Please disregard any typo mistakes you may encounter.

Warm cheers,

Margarita Iudin

Bookmark and Share

KoGuan Leo wrote on May. 3, 2014 @ 11:21 GMT
Dear John, we are a soulmate of consciousness. You and I are one in the Spock's mind-meld. Our souls are entangled somehow and somewhat.

Yes indeed and I quote you: "The total amount of energy the earth is receiving each day from the sun is 174 PETAWATT (1015 Watt)!!! This divided by the 7 billion habitants , gives an income per habitant of 102.000.000 watts per day !!! .... So actually...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

KoGuan Leo replied on May. 5, 2014 @ 07:00 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus de Wilde, I am really Sorry, I keep calling everyone John. I must be too tired due to over work lately. My apology. Best wishes, Leo KoGuan.

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on May. 17, 2014 @ 05:00 GMT
Hi Wilhelmus,

Thanks for another enlightening essay.

By the way, I never realized the phrase "Everything is best in this best of all possible worlds" was given by Leibniz. I always assumed it was a phrase that Voltaire gave to Dr. Pangloss in Candide.

I am waiting for your new book "Consciousness for Dummies". I promise I will buy a copy.

Glad to see you in this contest. Best of Luck!

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on May. 19, 2014 @ 14:38 GMT
Thank you Don for your kind words.

I will post my latest article on your thread.

best regards

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on May. 19, 2014 @ 19:47 GMT
Hi again Wilhelmus,

I would be honored to read your latest work on cosmology. My e-mail is don.limuti@gmail.com

I do appreciate your positive take on the future. I believe you are correct .... I just feel it in my bones.

Just a thought, have you ever thought of injecting a little humor in the subject of quantum consciousness. The name quantum consciousness is just too ponderous. This is just a fantasy... but I would love to see you collaborate with someone like Mel Brooks on "Consciousness for Dummies". I think it could be a very subversive best seller... I want the movie rights :)

All the best,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Judy Nabb wrote on May. 22, 2014 @ 07:25 GMT
Wilhelmus,

I enjoyed your essay which gave an original approach to one of the great mysteries of life. I agree we have many possible, and possibly rear futures. I'm please to be able to score it well.

I wonder when consciousness develops in an embryo. I try to draw attention to eugenics are something with both unrecognised dangers and limitations that needs better and more conscious steering.

Judy

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on May. 22, 2014 @ 14:49 GMT
Dear Judy, thank you for your comment I am going to read your essay right now !

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Gyenge Valeria wrote on May. 27, 2014 @ 09:02 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus!

I welcome your well-considered essay and several of posts you put on other participants' page. Albeit I haven't concern about the competition (see my end-notes) I rated your essay high, because it has many foundational thoughts.

There are many views of yours which fall together with mine, which I exerted in my essay, and some of my longer comments also put here to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Aaron M. Feeney wrote on May. 29, 2014 @ 16:59 GMT
Hi Wilhelmus,

As promised, in response to your reminder on my page, I'm commenting on your essay before any others, as there has already been a considerable delay.

I like that you include a wide range of interesting topics, but I was looking for something I have not found (maybe you can help). I was looking for the main thing your essay advocates that we should focus our efforts upon in order to improve the world. Yes, it suggests that we should "educate... [our children] not to strive for (short) economic profit but to strive for the growth of their own consciousness."

I certainly agree with that statement, but for that to have been the whole point of an essay which mentions so many other things would be puzzling to me. (As you know, of course, many parents have been educating their children in just that way since the '60s, under the motto, "be you, and follow your dreams.") Unfortunately, what we teach our children and what the world forces upon them when they leave the nest are often at cross purposes, especially when it comes to survival and material desires. I think we need something more powerful than a change in educational tactics to noticeably alter our course as a species toward a more fruitful direction. Please inform me if I have missed the main point of your essay, it is possible that I may have missed it.

With that being said, I have faithfully rated your essay according to the rating system I advocate, so the rating I gave was higher than what you had previously.

Warmly,

Aaron

P.S., I would like to know reference #17 from your paper, it appears to have been cut off.

Bookmark and Share

Aaron M. Feeney replied on May. 30, 2014 @ 17:34 GMT
Hi Wilhelmus,

I've replied to you on my own page, but I think we should have our actual conversation here. I wrote above, "for that to have been the whole point of an essay which mentions so many other things would be puzzling to me." So I was not indicating that I believe that teaching our children in a certain way was the whole point of your essay, I was saying that it seems to me that that could not have been its whole point. Maybe I should have been clearer about that.

Essentially, what I was portraying is that I could not easily find its point. The conclusion section is where an author generally puts that sort of information. While I did read your whole paper, I was seeking its main point in the conclusion.

If you were to write a conclusion to your paper to only sum up its point, what would that conclusion look like? May I request that you write that as a response?

Aaron

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Jun. 1, 2014 @ 16:37 GMT
Aaron,

I feel very sorry that you were not able to recognise the essence of my paper.

pls read the extract or the post that i left on your thread.

Consciousness is not always available it seems...

best regards

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Janko Kokosar wrote on Jun. 3, 2014 @ 20:20 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus de Wilde

I also defend quantum consciousness (QC). This is evident in the old essay. We both gave essays, but we did not read each other. You wrote: "The steering of our future lies in a deeper understanding of our consciousness". You will see that my new essay gives the same message.

Probably I have a little different approach to QC as you. My principle is panpsichism, but yours is causal and non-causal part ...

Do you know that the newest news is, that quantum biology is proved. Maybe quantum consciousness will also be.

You gave some good links. It is a problem with such amateur theories that rarely one read and comment them. I read yours, I hope the you will read mine. Who still advocates quantum consciousness on this contest?

My essay

Best regards

Janko Kokosar

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Jun. 4, 2014 @ 14:03 GMT
dear janko,

I replied on your thread after having read your essay.

best regards

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Neil Bates wrote on Jun. 4, 2014 @ 00:55 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus,

I am impressed with your attempts to relate the very most cutting-edge physical theorizing with the ultimate questions of mind and the basis of reality, reminiscent yet bolder than as explored e.g. by Roger Penrose and John Wheeler (I note similarities to the latter's conscious self-creating "participatory universe" loop idea, often symbolized by the picture of the eye...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Jun. 4, 2014 @ 14:04 GMT
Dear Neil,

I thank you very much for your support and gave a list of my published articles on your private mail.

best regards

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Jun. 5, 2014 @ 09:14 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus,

I am very close in spirit to your ideas. We go in one direction, but a little different our views. But closer to the position necessary to make a good "brainstorming." Consciousness need growth and turnaround. Here the main task - to change the education system. All of us Earthlings, we need Great Dream and Great Common Cause to save Peace, Nature and Humanity. Great Dream always go alond with Freedom without fear, Hope, Love, Justice. It's time. New Era and "Generation SkyPe" says: We start the path.

Best regards,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Jun. 6, 2014 @ 15:37 GMT
Beautiful Vladimir,

I cannot but agree

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on Jun. 14, 2014 @ 18:01 GMT
Thank you very much, dear Wilhelmus!

I congratulate you on your participation in the finalists pool and good luck with the "final judgement" and new research.

Best wishes,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Member Rick Searle wrote on Jun. 13, 2014 @ 16:28 GMT
Hello Wilhelmus,

I enjoyed your essay very much but am myself on the fence when it comes to the role of consciousness in the universe. I am suspicious of us projecting our own unique subjectivity onto the whole of existence. Though, I do think it can be said that a universe without some form of life within it to provide "feedback" can in someway be said to not exist at all.

The question of why there is something rather than nothing I find a fascinating one as I do the question of whether we exist in the best of all possible worlds.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on a post I recently wrote on that subject:

http://utopiaordystopia.com/2014/05/04/why-does-the-
world-exist-and-other-dangerous-questions-for-insomniacs/

Ric
k

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Jun. 13, 2014 @ 18:16 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus,

Thank you for the comment under my essay, and I agree the discussions can continue. Good luck to the contest!

Best regards,

Cristi

Bookmark and Share

Author Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Apr. 6, 2015 @ 15:51 GMT
thank you Tim, indeed words are the influence of our thoughts, positive words mean positive influence on our "reality" and negative .... well you know, our thoughts are our conscieousnees so it is always our consciousness that influences and "creates" our reality.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.