Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Allen Wood: on 6/22/17 at 6:12am UTC, wrote CIPFA is the leading accountancy body for the public services providing...

Anonymous: on 6/1/14 at 1:13am UTC, wrote Hi Giorgio, an impressive wish list.I like that you have not just...

James Hoover: on 5/20/14 at 17:04pm UTC, wrote Giorgio, Physicist, Michio Kaku, speaks of civilizations of the universe...

giorgio gaviraghi: on 5/12/14 at 15:06pm UTC, wrote Hi Peter, Aaron and Vladimir, I have read your essays as well. I believe...

Peter Jackson: on 5/12/14 at 12:34pm UTC, wrote Georgio, Couldn't agree more about positivity.. "creative plans,...

Aaron Feeney: on 5/10/14 at 4:13am UTC, wrote P.S., I will use the following rating scale to rate the essays of authors...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 5/7/14 at 19:41pm UTC, wrote Dear Giorgio, I am pleased to read your essay with concrete ideas and...

giorgio gaviraghi: on 5/7/14 at 9:14am UTC, wrote The Megaproject concept is a pragmatic attitude to face current challenges...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Thanks for sharing Georgina,it is nice.Friendly" in Alternative Models of...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Lorraine Ford: "With the “A.I. Feynman” software, Silviu-Marian Udrescu and Max Tegmark..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Georgina Woodward: "Coin toss co-state potentials: With the measurement protocol decided, in..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Steve, Sabine Hossenffelder has written an interesting blog post on her..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "If we correlate with the consciousness, can we consider that all is..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Ian Durham, Maybe still for the rankings and the links with this..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 22, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: The Quadrillion Economy by Giorgio Gaviraghi [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author giorgio gaviraghi wrote on Feb. 28, 2014 @ 16:42 GMT
Essay Abstract

The Quadrillion economy In order to answer with a positive attitude to the question of the essay, we believe that we can steer the future for our benefits to create a new state for humanity where current problems and challenges will be solved . To reach such state defined as S1 Sapientia (knowledge) in our essay while introducing a new knowledge-based scale to measure societies progress, we need a well defined Master Plan that will support several Megaprojects, each one with specific goals that will change the face of our planet and will generate full employment and wealth for everybody. Once solved the basic problems we can proceed with an accelerated pace to reach the technological and social Singularities: AIs smarter than humans, mind uploading, virtual immortality, that by their convergence further accelerate in an exponential curve our progress towards superior state of knowledge. The implementation of the Megaprojects, each with a specific scope can start immediately so their beneficial impact would allow a continuous growth. Each one of them will generate million, even billions of jobs opportunities for the entire global population and , while creating an entirely new planetary situation by integrating the natural with the artificial ecosystem in a symbiotic relationship its progress can be measured in an economic growth that will lead us in a few years from the existing 60 to 70 T$ economy to a quadrillion one, where per capita income would be measured in million of dollars instead than thousands. Such progress will permit our species , homo sapiens, to proceed in an accelerated pace to further advanced states, implemented by Gigaprojects, the S2 and S3 that may finalized with the passage from a physical to an energy based one and from the biosphere to the noosphere in a multiversal domain.

Author Bio

Giorgio Gaviraghi graduated In architecture at the Milan Polytechnic. In different capacities , starting as project manager and finally as CEO of international companies, involved in several major projects around the world. (reconstruction of thousands of damaged houses in the Friuli region damaged by an earthquake, commercial aircraft final assembly and aircraft overhauling facilities, testing facilities for the SDI initiative , airports and resorts). Currently involved in space architecture designs and european funded research projects (The MAAT project), cofounded Next ecosystems an advanced house construction system .Author of over 50 scientific papers and several books on space development .

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Lorraine Ford wrote on Mar. 1, 2014 @ 07:29 GMT
Could you please correct the line on page 4?

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author giorgio gaviraghi wrote on Mar. 2, 2014 @ 01:19 GMT
A society with such wide gaps between those who have and those who

This is the correct line that is missing in the pdf

Sorry about that

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 3, 2014 @ 16:50 GMT
Dear Mr. Gaviraghi,

I quite enjoyed reading your essay. Unfortunately, as I have pointed out in my essay, REALITY, ONCE, The real Universe is unique, once. It is a well known fact that each person’s fingerprints are unique. It is a well known fact that each person’s dollop of DNA is unique. It must follow that each person’s hue must be unique. The most incontrovertible fact must certify that each person’s real knowledge must be unique. Unique cannot be measured for all measurements use impossibly constructed identical units. To think for more than one moment that a white scientist could possibly know “more” than a Kalahari Desert bushman could, or a sleeping resident of Bedford Stuyvesant could is utterly absurd.

We do not need any more systems inflicted on us. Unique is not a system.

Bookmark and Share

Author giorgio gaviraghi wrote on Mar. 3, 2014 @ 20:33 GMT
Dear Joe Fisher,

I am glad that you enjoyed reading my essay. I also read yours . I believe that we are in two different levels of thought.I am all for an active and positive "can do" participation to science advances and social progress by utilizing current trends and developing them. Advances should be used by our society to solve current problems and create a wealthy population. There are no reasons , but past wrong heritages, if that cannot be accomplished. For that reason my essay is not really touching the uniqueness considerations that you are mentinoning. In all honesty, being very pragmatic, I cannot argue about that. I simply don't know. We still don't have the instruments to measure our positions. I certainly agree with you that intelligence is not related to racial or other etnic caractheristics, but its development is certainly helped by the environment and the cultural background of each of us.A harvard graduate has certainly more possibilities than a homeless ethiopian boy. That's exactly the gap that I would like to eliminate with the ideas of my essay. We are wasting the nearly total brainpower of our global population due to our current unsolved problems starting with poverty, famine and disease. For that reason we need a plan of action that can get us out of this situation asap and proceed to much brighter perspectives for our entire society.

Bookmark and Share

Eckard Blumschein wrote on Apr. 9, 2014 @ 10:31 GMT
Dear Giorgio,

"Economic growth that will lead us in a few years from the existing 60 to 70 T$ economy to a quadrillion one" reminds me of inflation in Germany in 1923 and Lira.

Eckard Blumschein

Bookmark and Share

James Dunn wrote on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 17:15 GMT
I support small business generation to support the diversity of all people's interests. Megaprojects would tend to destabilize small business access to opportunities.

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 5, 2014 @ 14:03 GMT
Giorgio,

I'm amazed how few seem to perceive the need for such a 'global masterplan' as you describe. I agree that unless we consider and set our gaols we will continue wandering aimlessly from unforseen crisis to crisis. But the I too was trained as an Architect Giorgio. As Wittgenstein spotted, that seems to endows quite different dimensions of conceptual vision and to found abilities as organizers, planners and implementers.

I've proposed we should perhaps repackage that unique way of combining our left and right lobes to teach to all at a younger age. We are a race who relies on the instant response of the front cerebral cortex so commonly get things badly wrong. Your low score is one example. I shall implement as major a correction as I can (the moment I can rate essays again!) I too suffered fro the trolls.

Your schedule is an excellent initial proposal for discussion I think. All big plans must have many harmonious components, but I should say I also propose that a more direct route to a quantum leap in understanding nature is possible, to achieve your mid and later stages in a realistic timescale; It is the unification of physics; a classical derivation of quantum mechanics. I give an understandable geometric/dynamic solution. But as with your proposals, the problem is not finding the way ahead but implementing it in the face of intellectual inertia.

Very best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author giorgio gaviraghi wrote on May. 7, 2014 @ 09:14 GMT
The Megaproject concept is a pragmatic attitude to face current challenges and promote exponential economic growth. Not inflation as with Germany after WW1 nor to discourage smes that actually will multiply their work opportunities.

We must face the future with optimism, with creative plans ,initiatives and activities.

This is what the Quadrillion economy is all about.

face 21st century challenges with new attitude , confidence.and a flexible action plan.

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson replied on May. 12, 2014 @ 12:34 GMT
Georgio,

Couldn't agree more about positivity.. "creative plans, initiatives and activities.". It's disappointing how few seem to support the view as despite a high rating your total remains undeservedly low. I may point some others who might agree about 'new attitude, confidence.and a flexible action plan' in your direction.

But a major step in understanding nature and the universe is needed to help trigger a new attitude. I do hope you'll read and score my essay which offers that. I also hope it's a fun read.

Best of luck

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on May. 7, 2014 @ 19:41 GMT
Dear Giorgio,

I am pleased to read your essay with concrete ideas and program of action. I fully agree with your conclusion:

«Our society must acknowledge the importance of the present historical moment and take the epochal decisions necessary to develop the instruments needed for the transition to the new era.»

Necessary to strengthen the activities of the UN in all directions, especially to minimize the global risks. We need "Megaproject" - "Great Common Cause". Let's all work together in building up a more sustainable future of Humanity. Overview for secure management of the Future - Freedom, Hope, Love.

I wish you success in the contest and research! It's time. We start the path. The New Era and a New Generation demanded action.

I invite you to comment on and appreciate my essay.

High regard,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author giorgio gaviraghi wrote on May. 12, 2014 @ 15:06 GMT
Hi Peter, Aaron and Vladimir,

I have read your essays as well.

I believe all ratings are very low maybe Aaron scale shouldhave been distributed before to actually focalize the ratings ina more defined way.Like the TRL scale for NASA as an example.

Reading most essays I should consider mine to be a proposal , more than an essay.

While most authors are discussing the why and whats, here we are proposing the How to face our challenges in a pragmatic , can do, way, and not as philosophical considerations.

I believe that humanity , in this case the decision makers, must act on specific plans , with clear goals , schedules, milestones and expected benefits.. w

We can't afford any more talks , global meetings and discussions. We are running out of time.

The EU seems to be acting fast on renewable energy policies , by imposing levels and percentages of renewable sources of energy witgh precise dates. Is the only way to act to overcome the many debates and discussions that rarely lead to some positive action.

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on May. 20, 2014 @ 17:04 GMT
Giorgio,

Physicist, Michio Kaku, speaks of civilizations of the universe with Earthlings at type 0 and type III who have conquered and colonized the galaxy. Are your Megaprojects totally Earth-based due to current limitations on space flight and light-year distances? My essay speaks of looking beyond to "dark skies" and beyond our solar system and within the brain, the microcosm of the universe.

Your essay is a thought-provoking probe of quantum and macro forces brought together.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Jun. 1, 2014 @ 01:13 GMT
Hi Giorgio,

an impressive wish list.I like that you have not just concentrated on the problems but clearly set out the way in which you think humanity should steer. Some items such as 'greening' cities seem quite attainable but there has to be approval for such projects, not just grassroots wishes: ) I have had a proposal for a small grass roof declined by council planners despite being told by the architect that they would love it as new build should be distinct from old not an imitation. Conservation of architectural style won even though the roof would not have been visible from the road!

Health and longevity do not depend only upon more research but implementation of the knowledge we have in regard to such things as hygiene, diet, fasting, exercise and sleep. Poverty is relative and in part a state of mind. Affluent people can consider themselves poor by comparison with the better off. What is important is contentment. Some are more content with less than others, especially if it is a personal choice to live a simple non materialistic lifestyle.I think ways of making people content are important, which could include more beautiful, stress reliving surroundings.

I liked your comparison of the scenarios described to life leaving the water for land. It nicely illustrates the enormity of the changes you are outlining.

Thanks for an interesting read, Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Allen Wood wrote on Jun. 22, 2017 @ 06:12 GMT
CIPFA is the leading accountancy body for the public services providing education and training in accountancy and financial management. Anti Bribery

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.