Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Margarita Iudin: on 6/2/14 at 21:47pm UTC, wrote Hello Mr. Hansen, This is Margarita Iudin. You liked my essay (Imagining...

Peter Jackson: on 5/30/14 at 18:48pm UTC, wrote Wes, Fascinating essay. Certainly deserves a better score right or wrong....

Michael muteru: on 5/16/14 at 12:22pm UTC, wrote Dear wesley Very educative essay there,The universe is written in pure...

Aaron Feeney: on 5/10/14 at 4:16am UTC, wrote P.S., I will use the following rating scale to rate the essays of authors...

Wesley Hansen: on 5/2/14 at 17:36pm UTC, wrote James, The above anonymous is me, Wes Hansen; for whatever reason the FQXi...

Anonymous: on 5/2/14 at 17:33pm UTC, wrote James, I didn't read your message about visiting a children's hospital; I...

Wesley Hansen: on 5/2/14 at 16:44pm UTC, wrote Margarita, In the beginning I assume the MUH and if the Universe is a...

James Putnam: on 4/30/14 at 18:27pm UTC, wrote Wesley Wayne Hansen, Your lack of response to my message mentioning a...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Joe,do you understand that the universe is finite like our series of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer to Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar assertion: ..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "this second law is so important,my theory of spherisation and these quantum..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Robert McEachern: "In the case of a polarized coin, the "matched filter" detector simply adds..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "I must explain what is the real meaning of Spherisation in my theory.It is..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Robert, thank you. I now understand the difference between decisions and..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 15, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Binary Operators in Harmonic Oscillation: An Exploration Beyond Time by Wesley Wayne Hansen [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Wesley Wayne Hansen wrote on Feb. 11, 2014 @ 15:35 GMT
Essay Abstract

We assume the Mathematical Universe Hypothesis and explore the possible implications for, not only human destiny but, the destiny of our Universe.

Author Bio

Wes Hansen is a hermit living in the East Texas woods.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Author Wesley Wayne Hansen wrote on Feb. 14, 2014 @ 17:23 GMT
Here are a few interesting links I have discovered in the interim:

Two interesting papers on cognitive enhancement from a member of the FQXi advisory council, Nick Bostrom:

"Cognitive Enhancement: Methods, Ethics, Regulatory Challenges"; "Embryo Selection for Cognitive Enhancement: Curiosity or Game-changer?"

Some interesting new discoveries with regards to psilocybin research from Robin Carhart-Harris of Imperial College, London (the review links to the research paper):

How Psilocybin Works: Addition by Subtraction

First a disclaimer: I have a great deal of experience with psychedelics, primarily LSD, MDMA, and psilocybin; I also have been practicing various forms of yoga and meditation for a couple of decades. That out of the way, I have this to say:

Anyone who has experience with hallucinogens and has also perused the relevant mystical literature, i.e. the Bardo Todol, realizes immediately that there exists an intimate relationship between the psychedelic state, the dream state, and the Bardo state and it logically follows that if one familiarizes oneself with one of these states then it will help them navigate the other two; with this I concur. However, as the Maharishi of Ram Das told Ram Das, "These medicines will take one to visit the Christ, and it's always good to visit the Christ no matter for how brief, but the ultimate goal is not to visit the Christ but to become the Christ" (Christ here is synonymous with the evolution from body-centered ego to ego death or "Mind at Large" realization).

The myths, which contain the ancient collective spiritual wisdom, are very clear about what needs to be done in order to "become the Christ!" The gate to the garden is guarded by two guardians: FEAR OF DEATH; DESIRE FOR LIFE. These are the primordial opposites, all other fears are manifestations of the fear of death and all other desires are manifestations of desire for life. It's fear of death and desire for life which maintains one's attachment or identification with form body - the physical, i.e. the "ego." In order to experience your true face, the True-form body, i.e. "Mind at Large," one must slay the guardians; how does one do this? One does this by taking up the flaming sword, the sword of death and discrimination, which is SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE!

From my own experience, I view these substances as providing "gateway events," events which clue one in to the existence of some hidden and much more profound reality or truth, and this is very important. So while I'm a true advocate of dismantling the mindless (pun intended) government constraints on ALL substances of spiritual value, I believe their use needs to be put in the proper perspective. In my humble opinion, the only way to get the maximum benefit from psychedelic experience is to engage in said experience with a disciplined mind, i.e. with spiritual discipline!

"The true student of science neglects nothing and despises nothing that may widen and deepen his knowledge of nature, and if he is wise as well as learned he will hesitate before he applies the term 'impossible' to any facts which are widely believed and have been repeatedly observed by men as intelligent and honest as himself."

Alfred Russel Wallace (1823-1913), English naturalist, evolutionist, geographer, anthropologist, social critic, and theorist: "Are the Phenomena of Spiritualism in Harmony with Science?"

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Feb. 15, 2014 @ 14:32 GMT
Mr. Hansen,

I quite enjoyed reading your essay, perhaps because its theme was so contrary to the theme of my essay, REALITY, ONCE. Whereas I am appealing for a return to reality, you seem to be of the opinion that the more reality one can avoid, the better off one will be. Honestly now, do you know of one animal other than man, or one other reptile, or one other bird, or one other insect that resorts to consuming, or injecting drugs into its system in order for it to consider itself not to be a real animal, or a real reptile, or a real bird, or a real insect?

Good luck with your very well written essay in the contest though.

Joe

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Wesley Wayne Hansen replied on Feb. 18, 2014 @ 16:53 GMT
Joe,

Thank you for your comment but you quite obviously did not correctly grasp the information contained in my essay. There is truly only one reality but humankind perceives that reality in two distinct ways: faulty and illusory; immaculate and truthfully. Now nowhere in my essay do I state that the drug induced state is the true state, I don't even mention drugs in my essay. In the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Jayakar Johnson Joseph wrote on Feb. 18, 2014 @ 04:06 GMT
Binary Operators in Harmonic Oscillation reveals the discrete nature of time in reference time, whereas the emergence of time is causal and with the system.

As ‘Steer the Future’ itself is a system, I think, Cyclic-time may resolve Temporal paradox. With best wishes, Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Author Wesley Wayne Hansen replied on Feb. 18, 2014 @ 17:27 GMT
Thank you for linking to your essay Jayakar; I shall take the time to read it and respond in kind.

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir F. Tamari wrote on Feb. 18, 2014 @ 09:42 GMT
Dear Wesley

I read your essay with interest. I tend to agree with Joe that one reality is quite enough to deal with. I admire your integrity and perseverance in pursuing your ideas and way of life. However would Buddha agree to the cutting you mention in your essay? Have compassion, even for yourself!

I wish you the best and regret not to be able to engage with the many interesting subjects you have dealt with - for example homeopathy - old age and flagging energy is my excuse!

I will add however that one thing stuck in my mind after rerading Gell-Mann's book - he asks why one of the planets is not smeared across its orbit? I assume this is based on the thought that probability would make atoms and molecules smear!

With best wishes,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author Wesley Wayne Hansen replied on Feb. 18, 2014 @ 17:24 GMT
Vladimir,

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my essay. The cutting I mention in my essay is inspired by compassion for all sentient beings; physical hardship instills mental discipline and mental discipline is required to see one's true face. The whole purpose of cultivating true cessation within yourself is so that you may assist others in the same; in Middle Way Buddhism it's known as the Bodhisattva ideal. So yes, the historical Buddha would most certainly agree. But you must understand, the historical Buddha was just an ordinary man who did what he needed to do in order to see his true face, in order to perceive true reality; we're all, each and everyone, the Buddha, there are simply those who realize it and work with and those who don't realize it and get drug.

Nowhere in my essay do I mention homeopathy, although there exists copious amounts of scientific data supporting the veracity of homeopathy. As Stanford physicist William Tiller irrefutably demonstrates, homeopathy can be regarded as a type of "information" medicine. In the paper of his I reference he explains the evolution of human medicine from chemical medicine to energy medicine and, currently underway, to information medicine. His exposition is firmly supported by double-blind, peer replicated experiments and, since you mention homeopathy, I can't help but conclude that you read the paper referenced. So perhaps you should explore further; it could very well help you with your "old age and flagging energy!"

Yes, Dr. Gell-Mann's book is absolutely excellent, but what should you expect coming from a Nobel Laureate. I believe the situation you refer to occurs in the section where he is discussing decoherent histories so it shouldn't be taken out of context. What I find refreshing about Dr. Gell-Mann's book is the profound compassion (speaking of) he displays towards all of the complexities that the Universe has evolved over the course of billions of years. I agree whole-heartedly with Dr. Gell-Mann: we need to find Unity in Diversity; we need to do what is absolutely necessary to work together as one yet preserve all of this beautiful complexity that has taken billions of years to emerge.

Again, thank you for your comment and good luck!

Bookmark and Share

James A Putnam replied on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 03:56 GMT
Wesley Wayne Hansen,

I appreciate that your opinion about my essay. Please explain your thinking about your ideas in more depth. Here is one question beginning with a quote of your response to another visitor:

"The cutting I mention in my essay is inspired by compassion for all sentient beings; physical hardship instills mental discipline and mental discipline is required to see one's true face. The whole purpose of cultivating true cessation within yourself is so that you may assist others in the same..."

Why not, instead, visit a children's hospital? If witnessing a child's eye being pushed out of their head by cancer doesn't "cultivate true cessation within yourself (is) so that you may assist others in the same..." then I am unclear as to your meaning. How could cutting yourself hurt more? if my example doesn't greatly eclipse your "physical hardship" example, then, I don't understand your goal? Please say more. Thank you.

James Putnam

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir F. Tamari wrote on Feb. 20, 2014 @ 00:36 GMT
Thanks for your well-considered responses, Wesley. I especially like your last remark " we need to do what is absolutely necessary to work together as one yet preserve all of this beautiful complexity that has taken billions of years to emerge."

Best, Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Apr. 13, 2014 @ 04:23 GMT
Hello Wesley,

I found your essay to be rather profound, but with almost as many disturbing as inspiring tones. I agree with your assessment that it would be helpful to teach young people meditation on a far larger scale than is prevalent today, because it would accord them a far greater ability to control their mental states - and would enhance learning in general. Beyond that; I see no harm in certain kinds of experimentation so long as it is done with spiritual discipline - as you suggest. But I would also see to moving beyond certain harmful practices, as a matter of asserting that discipline.

I once attended a lecture by a Tibetan Rinpoche at one of the local monasteries (Kagyu Thubten Choling) which had a message that bears repeating here. He was speaking about Mahamudra and the stages of the path, citing various examples of states of consciousness or siddhis one might obtain, and then spelling out one by one the kind of hell it led to - if one assumed it was the end of the path - so the advice was to move beyond each stage and look to what is the next arena of personal evolution. I have since learned a simple meditation to put myself in bliss, which is one of the examples cited by the Rinpoche, and it only takes about 3 seconds to rise to the orgasmic level, but I know it is just a tool for upliftment of consciousness and not much use as a productivity enhancer.

I love the work of Joseph Campbell, but that seems to trump 'follow your bliss' to an extent. It's something to think about.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Apr. 13, 2014 @ 04:42 GMT
I should perhaps add..

I think that Rinpoche was not demeaning that it is useful to attain absolute calm, be immersed in bliss, have perfect clarity of mind, or freedom from remorse and regret, but these are only hallmarks of progress along the path. Likewise, he talked about seeing the inner light, hearing celestial sounds, having visions, and other commonly reported experiences of meditators. The real advice, though, is to keep going - and don't get hung up on how great is the stage you are on.

Don't get me wrong. I think people should stop and smell the flowers sometimes, but spending all the time you have in rapt appreciation of nature only takes you so far along the path of spiritual discipline. The Bhakti Yoga or even pure Hedonism can be a valid spiritual path for some, just as Asceticism is appropriate for others, but Buddha's enlightenment came when he discovered that the ascetics didn't have all the answers either. The main insight was that a Middle path beckoned, between craving and hating.

That's all for now,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 02:55 GMT
I wanted to comment on the MUH,

I feel strongly that things must compute in order to be. There must be some sensibility, both internally and externally consistent, so that what comes to manifest is what makes sense. One could re-cast Descartes' 'Cogito Ergo Sum' to be "It computes, therefore it is," to reflect this. But I think one must delve deeper into the Maths and find what is fundamental to the Math itself, as well as what is applicable to the mathematization of Physics.

My take is that the existence of figures like E8 and the Mandelbrot Set must shape the theoretical landscape, because they point to an internal consistency in the structure of Mathematics that must carry over into Physics in some way. I found there is a profound relationship between the Mandelbrot Set and Cosmology, over 25 years ago now - but it has only been quite recently that I have had the tools to effectively express what it taught me, or explain the relevance to Physics.

So knowing something well internally does not always mean you have the means to tell the story of what it is you know. Somehow, the answer always involves being able to build bridges for others - starting where they are - rather than the apparently simpler task of building a bridge from where you stand to where they are.

So there is always more to talk about...

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 02:56 GMT
Sorry, that was me...

I thought I was still logged in, but apparently I was not.

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Wesley Wayne Hansen wrote on Apr. 15, 2014 @ 18:56 GMT
Jonathan,

Thank you kindly for your remarks. I don't really know what you mean by "harmful practices" or "disturbing tones" so I can't really address your first remark. As to Hedonism, I 'm not so certain that I agree with you but then I don't know how you define hedonism; it could be said that hedonism was a main component of the practice employed by the Mahisiddhis and the monastics...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

James Dunn wrote on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 16:19 GMT
Steering the Future of humanity based on a one egg in the basket effort that cannot be implemented (acted upon) is irresponsible.

I say this down-heartedly because a share a belief in quantum causality.

Axiom of Choice extended to include Relativity

http://vixra.org/pdf/1402.0041v1.pdf

Space-Time Manipulation I believe is an absolutely essential part of humanity's future. But none of us have the final solution, or even a plausible experiment.

I would rather create a business model to broadly support on-going research and development of space-time technologies.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1205.0021v1.pdf

But before space-time technologies are developed, corruption has to end. To begin fighting corruption, everyone needs to be skilled in Critical Thinking and be able to Predict Consequences. Else the space-time technologies developed will be used for corrupt purposes.

James Dunn

FQXi Submission:

Graduated Certification for Certification of Common Sense

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2045

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 03:58 GMT
Dear Wesley Wayne Hansen

Very interesting and meticulously detailed.

A harmony between science and religion is essential to humanity find suitable orientation for the future - it's a requirement!

10 points seems to be not enough for what you have put into this post.

With best wishes - Hải.CaoHoàng

Bookmark and Share

Author Wesley Wayne Hansen replied on Apr. 25, 2014 @ 18:10 GMT
Thank you kindly for your comment Hoang cao Hai. I will certainly read your own submissin to the contest . . .

With regards,

Bookmark and Share

Margarita Iudin wrote on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 01:55 GMT
Hello Mr. Hansen,

I read your submission. Harmonic oscillator is indeed very convenient model; it can be applied almost everywhere and to everything starting from comparative thinking. I understand about harmonic oscillations, but you truly amused me with your statement about two levels of physical reality. How come only two of them? And you put too many things together – Seneca, Krishna, Book of the Dead and gauge reality. You may be seriously bluffing and I do not understand.

Anyway, good luck,

Margarita Iudin

Bookmark and Share

James A Putnam replied on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 19:07 GMT
Dear Wesley,

I encourage you to read Margarita's essay.

James

Bookmark and Share

Author Wesley Wayne Hansen replied on May. 2, 2014 @ 16:44 GMT
Margarita,

In the beginning I assume the MUH and if the Universe is a mathematical structure then the structure represents the fates; is this not so? And I back this up with the observation that the existence of humans is a great mystery, i.e. the anthropic principle, which could be naturally and elegantly explained if the Universe has a distinct final condition; the emergence of humans is...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

James A Putnam wrote on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 18:27 GMT
Wesley Wayne Hansen,

Your lack of response to my message mentioning a visit to a children's hospital causes me to think perhaps it came across too harsh or critical. I did pick a difficult example, but, it is something I experienced while spending a significant amount of time at a children's hospital. I experienced much more than that. I brought it up because I do not understand the idea of cutting oneself in order to feel pain. I guess I could have just compared pain of the heart with pain of the body. Pain of the body seems very much inferior to me. We can control that, but, the pain of the heart, the real ones, hurt a lot and never go away. I assumed you know all of this. So, I wondered why you felt strongly enough about cutting yourself to mention it in your essay. I think your essay is quite good, but, I couldn't understand the ending. I did rate your essay already. My first message was not intended to offend anyone.

James Putnam

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on May. 2, 2014 @ 17:33 GMT
James,

I didn't read your message about visiting a children's hospital; I don't know where it went! I can probably relate though. When I was a child I had very bad allergies, and this was back when allergies were not at all well understood. I spent a good bit of time in the state-run Children's Hospital in Denver, Colorado and witnessed some rather disturbing situations.

I once...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Wesley Wayne Hansen replied on May. 2, 2014 @ 17:36 GMT
James,

The above anonymous is me, Wes Hansen; for whatever reason the FQXi site logged me out . . .

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on May. 16, 2014 @ 12:22 GMT
Dear wesley

Very educative essay there,The universe is written in pure maths.The Ancient sages did everything then using it.then it was a mystery.The ancient Mathematikoi believed numbers are the purest of ideas.1+1=2 not else.i havedone so in my essay based heavily on How maths models metaphysics and the future.here- http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2101 titled LIVING IN THE SHADOWS OF THE SUN: REALITIES, PERILS ESCAPADES MAN, PLANET AND KARDASHEV SCALE.MAKING THE GREAT TRANSITION by Michael muteru pls take your time to rate/review it .thanks all the best.

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 30, 2014 @ 18:48 GMT
Wes,

Fascinating essay. Certainly deserves a better score right or wrong. You qualify your hypotheses well, i.e. your deleted blog (I've suffered the same);

"Assume, for the sake of argument, that quantum entanglement is a thoroughly demonstrated and irrefutable ontological phenomenon and examine the consequence:"

Interestingly that assumption also incorporates an assumption as to WHAT 'entanglement' is'. I suggest we can 'chase down' the uncertainty with mathematical recursive gauges, and show a calculable geometric solution to the EPR paradox and quantum correlations. I'd appreciate your mathematical view of my dynamic geometry, presented as an allegorical tale for the essay.

Well done, and best wishes.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Margarita Iudin wrote on Jun. 2, 2014 @ 21:47 GMT
Hello Mr. Hansen,

This is Margarita Iudin. You liked my essay (Imagining the future humanity

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2096), hopefully, you understood what it is about.

Now I have a serious problem to find here people who will be able to understand the topic and to use the offered ideas for themselves (not to say to properly judge the essay)

Would you mind to advise me what to do? Voting will be over in several days. I would like to reach the people and encourage them to think - feel - imagine versatile

Actually, we are in the same boat. I doubt many of the entrants have the knowledge of the Multiverse, digital philosophy, cognitive science and different paths of the existence.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.