Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Michael muteru: on 5/16/14 at 11:22am UTC, wrote Dear Gene an astounding piece,very enlightening,currently voting may i...

James Hoover: on 5/15/14 at 22:26pm UTC, wrote Gene, Our mountain top experience, I assume, needs to be shared to avoid a...

Aaron Feeney: on 5/10/14 at 3:39am UTC, wrote P.S., I will use the following rating scale to rate the essays of authors...

Peter Jackson: on 4/29/14 at 20:38pm UTC, wrote Gene, Another very clear and pertinent essay, straight to the point. I...

Hoang Hai: on 4/22/14 at 2:36am UTC, wrote Dear Barbee Very detailed with extensive expertise, unfortunately I only...

Georgina Woodward: on 4/21/14 at 1:02am UTC, wrote Hi Gene, I enjoyed reading your essay. I think I can sum the message up as...

John Merryman: on 4/12/14 at 23:48pm UTC, wrote Jonathan, I make a similar point in my essay, that we are looking at...

Jonathan Dickau: on 4/12/14 at 18:19pm UTC, wrote For what it's worth.. I think you offer some useful perspective, John. We...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Eckard,you seems persuaded by your Words and thoughts.I don t understand..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "In Darwinism/Weismannism there is no first cause, just a causal chain...." in First Things First: The...

Steve Agnew: "There are some questions that do not seem to have answers in the classical..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Agnew: "Yes, there are two very different narratives. The classical narrative works..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 14, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Base Camp Four by Gene H Barbee [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Gene H Barbee wrote on Feb. 11, 2014 @ 15:34 GMT
Essay Abstract

This is an opportunity to consider for a moment what the view might be as science climbs towards a summit. We appear to be on the verge of finding that the universe is teaming with life. This is great news but as we realize how inaccessible dialog will be perhaps we will still feel alone. To be fair, technology improvements have made an extremely positive impact on society. If there is a question about what more science can do for humanity it must refer to fundamental questions about existence that impact the way we act toward one another. If we can’t dialog across disciplines, bridge gaps and agree on more things of consequence we may not be able to steer the future in this area. If not the future will look a lot like the past and our planet will be too small to support high quality life.

Author Bio

Interest in physics and cosmology. Please contact me at genebarbee@msn.com to discuss or request additional supporting information.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Feb. 13, 2014 @ 14:55 GMT
Gene, I quite enjoyed reading your essay. Unfortunately, as I have pointed out in my essay REALITY, ONCE information precludes anyone from understanding reality. There are no such things as "laws of nature." The Universe was not created. The Universe is occurring in an infinity. There is no way any part of infinity could be older than any other part of infinity. There is no way finite information could be useful.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Vladimir F. Tamari wrote on Feb. 14, 2014 @ 03:01 GMT
Gene,

I enjoyed the essay it quite relevant to the essay question, and bridges physics and what humanity needs. Both ends of the 'bridge' - the analysis of information and mental precesses etc. on the one hand, and the moving Base Camp Four section are excellent in themselves. But there is a vast chasm between the two - can it be crossed by computers, for example? By new communication methods? By St. Tenzing and a new religion of informatics?!

Cheers

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author Gene H Barbee replied on Feb. 16, 2014 @ 15:57 GMT
Thanks for your comments. I agree with you that there is a huge behavior gap. Laws need to be strengthened for extreme anti-social behaviors but unfortunately incarcerating people is expensive and already too prevalent. I have heard many law abiding citizens say that they are not against further surveillance as a preventative measure. People are naturally aggressive and some of this behavior can be channeled through friendly competition. I play a lot of competitive tennis and we are friends before and after the matches. Education plays a role especially for children who often grow up modeling their parents poor behavior. Overall, as you suggest computers enhance communication and religion has traditionally helped people understand the value of becoming the best person they can be. The view I express in the essay is that we should value and cultivate our internal reality. I heard this expressed very well recently by an old person saying "it is your own fault if you don't value every precious moment remaining in your life".

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Feb. 19, 2014 @ 02:39 GMT
Hello Gene,

It's good to see you in this year's contest. I look forward to reading your essay and commenting. The abstract doesn't say enough to make it clear what you are talking about, but the theme sounds interesting.

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Apr. 11, 2014 @ 04:32 GMT
A thoughtful essay, Gene..

I find a lot to agree with, in this work. I assume that Base Camp Four is meant to signify the 'Universe as Information' outlook, which we have now arrived at, and that we are not at the mountaintop view yet. At least you are trying to answer the essay question, about whether this outlook points us at a brighter future, and I evaluated your paper accordingly.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Gene H Barbee replied on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 15:23 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for contributing another fine essay. Your emphasis on education as a means of improving our prospect for a bright future is on target. As an engineer engaged in industrial research I found that a playful approach to a problem was very productive. Later in my career I tried to understand what creates a productive environment. Actually, it wasn’t necessary. The...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 17:26 GMT
Pursuing this link further..

I think the fact of society becoming comfortable with the 'Universe as Information' point of view does present a unique opportunity in the history of mankind. Now the challenge is to control the framing of those concepts, or direct people's minds into a fruitful understanding of such things. I think the idea of a computing universe or mathematical universe is right on, to the extent that it guides people toward the understanding that there is a dance between the intrinsic realities of Math and what is possible to manifest. But I think this speaks to a broader issue of what is comprehensible, and what it is possible to learn about the universe, actually playing a part in determining what becomes real.

In brief; one could re-phrase 'Cogito ergo sum' to be 'It computes, therefore it is.' In plain language; what is real exists because it makes sense in an internally and externally consistent way. If it did not make sense at the root definition of its foundations, it would not exist in the form we observe. So the role of Physics is to discover what rules the constituent fundaments of reality are following, and to describe them in a way that is humanly comprehensible. My guess is there is a requirement for both computability and geometric constructability, for things to manifest in physical form.

That's all for now,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman wrote on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 17:56 GMT
Gene,

I hadn't commented previously, as we have a significant conceptual difference, but after reading your exchange with Jonathan, I thought I'd make some effort to breach it.

As I see it, information is one side of an indivisible coin with energy. Energy is what manifests information and any expression of energy amounts to information. Frequency, amplitude, spectrum, force, velocity, even binary digits require some polarity of force to be expressed.

So there is no information without the energy to express it. No structure to the void.

Now what Jonathan argues is we need to maintain a child's appreciation for exploration and reserve the adult need to constantly frame, monetize, debate, judge, etc.

So what I would argue is that this reflects that dichotomy. The child is like energy, constantly expanding out, pushing the boundaries, even disrupting old orders and ways of thinking. Meanwhile the adult perspective is just that need to order, structure, judge that raw and undisciplined energy. Much like this dichotomy of energy and information.

Thus the bottom up childlike view is information is something to be tested, like water wearing stone. Meanwhile the top down adult view, is this energy is to be constrained and channeled, because obviously it is only as information and structure what it can be effectively put to use.

I could go on, especially in the ways this creates the effect of time, as energy pushes outward into the future, while information and the collection and ordering of which defines and creates this sense of the past, but I find this line of reasoning to be not particularly appreciated by most professionally minded people, so I would understand if you were to politely disagree and drop the subject.

Regards,

John M

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 18:19 GMT
For what it's worth..

I think you offer some useful perspective, John. We need more of that child-like energy - always pushing at the edges of calcified knowledge like water wearing down stone. This is what I see to be the main advantage humans have over machines; so why would we want to constrain what makes us human anyway? I think we should celebrate whatever advantages we have, for as long as 'the machine' will allow. But ultimately; we must realize one profound clue to be a literal truth - in our quest for the stars. We must become like little children, to enter the kingdom of heaven.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 23:48 GMT
Jonathan,

I make a similar point in my essay, that we are looking at theology backwards. An absolute is basis, not apex, so a spiritual absolute would be the essence of being from which we rise, not a moral, intellectual and judgmental ideal form from which we fell. The new born babe, not the bearded old man, so to speak. Obviously one more idea not likely to garner an audience anytime soon. ;-)

Awareness is that energy expanding out. Thought is the structure and form it manifests. As babies, we don't remember much, even though we are quite aware, because the thoughts don't form coherently and when they do, is when we start to have memories.

Regards,

John M

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 01:02 GMT
Hi Gene,

I enjoyed reading your essay. I think I can sum the message up as 'we are getting there'. The 5 principles given at the end are good and give a clear 'destination' to steer towards. I found your discussion of reality, especially the information /physical reality duality interesting as reality in the context of physics is a topic I have spent a lot of time considering.IMHO It is important to consider how the different kinds of physics theory fit together with the different kinds of reality.I hope your essay generates a lot of interest.

Good luck, Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 02:36 GMT
Dear Barbee

Very detailed with extensive expertise, unfortunately I only allowed for 10 points.

Best wishes - Hải.CaoHoàng

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 20:38 GMT
Gene,

Another very clear and pertinent essay, straight to the point. I think last years was very undervalued, I hope this does much better.

Though quite different subjects I saw a couple of pleasing commonalities in our views, particularly in observed dependence, which I feel is far more fundamentally important than most realise.

I was a little disappointed yours ended so soon, but the points were important and made well. It was also a far smoother and easier read than many! Well done.

I hope you'll read (and understand) mine. I hope simplify some impossibly bizarre and nonsensically unreal 'science'.

Very best of luck with yours.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on May. 15, 2014 @ 22:26 GMT
Gene,

Our mountain top experience, I assume, needs to be shared to avoid a future like the past, communicating common purpose for a viable future. That is my view in my essay, on one hand seeing beyond the arcane and self-centered and the other seeing within the human brain which is a microcosm of the universe.

Good thoughts and organized well, Gene.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on May. 16, 2014 @ 11:22 GMT
Dear Gene

an astounding piece,very enlightening,currently voting may i give you 7/10.On your portrayal of reality-in its Abstract or physical forms information theory carries the day at sub-planck scales. the universe is just the sum total of sorting/coding algorithms at play evident as motion.In my essay i potray the reality we inhabit,challenges and solutions, you can rate/view it under http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2101,titled LIVING IN THE SHADOWS OF THE SUN: REALITIES, PERILS ESCAPADES MAN, PLANET AND KARDASHEV SCALE.MAKING THE GREAT TRANSITION by Michael muteru ,Thanks

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.