Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

John Merryman: on 1/9/14 at 22:43pm UTC, wrote John C, Thanks. Nature is big on the cycles and dichotomies, so I like...

John Cox: on 1/9/14 at 19:43pm UTC, wrote John Merryman, Most people I know would see the wisdom in that, and not a...

John Merryman: on 1/9/14 at 17:57pm UTC, wrote John C, I don't doubt the power of math, but I truly am an outsider in...

John Cox: on 1/9/14 at 16:25pm UTC, wrote John Merryman, Thanks, John, free exchange of ideas is what this forum is...

John Merryman: on 1/9/14 at 10:59am UTC, wrote John C, If you want to use any of these ideas, more the power to you....

Anonymous: on 1/9/14 at 5:45am UTC, wrote John Merryman, Philosophically I am in much agreement with you, but in...

John Merryman: on 1/9/14 at 4:35am UTC, wrote Eckard, Agreed. Then again, there is C squared. What c really...

John Merryman: on 1/9/14 at 4:20am UTC, wrote John C, Actually I think to live forever, it would be more a matter of...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Robert McEachern: ""all experiments have pointed towards this and there is no way to avoid..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Steve Agnew, Naturally provided VISIBLE realty am not a silly humanly..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

James Putnam: "Light bends because it is accelerating. It accelerates toward an object..." in Black Hole Photographed...

Robert McEachern: "Lorenzo, The nature of "information" is well understood outside of..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, Lorraine is writing about a simpler "knowing " rather than the..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Agnew: "Knowing information necessarily means neural action potentials. Atom and..." in The Nature of Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi BLOGS
May 22, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: FQXi's 4th International Conference [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Jan. 7, 2014 @ 03:35 GMT
Photo courtesy of Gerardo Adesso.
FQXi's 4th International Conference on Vieques Island is now underway. This year's topic is the Physics of Information.

There'll be more soon, including links to slides from all the talks, videos, and posts. But for now, here's a photo, courtesy of Gerardo Adesso, of the lovely location. And if you want to see more photos, visit our Facebook page.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jan. 7, 2014 @ 09:19 GMT
Best wishes for a fruitful conference. It would be nice to see "dissenters" among the Speakers, Panelists and Moderators and to know how their queries are satisfactorily answered by the Orthodox participants but I can't see any (at least in even one of the sessions). Foundational Questions must get satisfactory Foundational Answers, not more of the same.

Regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Pentcho Valev replied on Jan. 7, 2014 @ 10:03 GMT
Dissenters ?!? On Vieques Island ?!? Oxymoron. Dissenters are here, desperately writing their dissenting messages that the FQXi elite do not read at all.

Pentcho Valev

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo replied on Jan. 7, 2014 @ 13:25 GMT
With the brilliant people in attendance, all the FQXi 2013 essays, both winning and non-winning, 6 days on such a beautiful and serene island, the least to expect and demand from the FQXi elite, if they prefer tackling the foundational issues on their own terms are DEFINITE ANSWERS to:

What IS information? What is its relation to “Reality”?

How does nature (the universe and things therein) “store” and “process” information?

Is information “discrete”? How does a continuous or discrete description of a physical system relate to its information content and processing? Can information theory shed light on open “discrete” questions such as the nature of space?

How does understanding information help us understand physics, and vice-versa?

We cannot afford to be re-enacting this kind of jamboree and asking these SAME questions every year and nothing concrete coming out of the exercise in terms of definite answers or a communique on the Questions, the purpose for which the conference is held, even if the answers are qualified and there are minority views. The answers must subsequently become available for cross-examination by all, including dissenters and the dissenting messages must be read and satisfactorily responded to. I even suggest that to put the shoe on the other foot, FQXi floor members should nominate, vote and judge the FQXi elite for a change!

Meanwhile, we floor members continue our own conference on this forum, thanks to FQXi

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali replied on Jan. 7, 2014 @ 14:28 GMT
Hi Akinbo and Pentcho,

"The answers must subsequently become available for cross-examination by all, including dissenters and the dissenting messages must be read and satisfactorily responded to. I even suggest that to put the shoe on the other foot, FQXi floor members should nominate, vote and judge the FQXi elite for a change!"

I like this suggestion! I do think the FQXi members will attempt to answer exactly the questions that you have listed, but because of their nature (the questions that is, not the members) -- as you've guessed -- they probably won't be able to agree on definite answers.

In another post (coming later today) I will provide some of the first material coming from the conference: a panel discussion. I'll invite you all to ask any further questions that you want to push the participants on. I can't guarantee they'll be able to answer them, but I will pass them along.

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman wrote on Jan. 7, 2014 @ 13:30 GMT
Information is the message. Energy is the medium. As in two sides of the same coin. Energy manifests information and information defines energy. No information in a void, or energy.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

John R. Cox replied on Jan. 8, 2014 @ 01:22 GMT
Bravo! Merryman!

Now that's a statement you can model. jrc

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on Jan. 8, 2014 @ 02:53 GMT
John C,

Thanks. I guess I better stick to modeling it in English. E=I.

Or how about I+E=R(eality)?

Regards,

John M

Bookmark and Share

Charles H. Bennett wrote on Jan. 8, 2014 @ 08:58 GMT
Unable to attend the Vieques conference in person, I am following it online from chilly New York. Seeing that this afternoon's topics include biological complexity, I wanted to highlight the need for a mathematically rigorous and non-anthropocentric definition of that which increases when a self-organizing system organizes itself. Many have tried to treat such complexity as a kind of "organized information" (in distinction with mere randomness) and measure it in informational units like bits, but I think that is a mistake, in part because it is hard to draw clean distinction between organized and disorganized information. Stimulated by Sean Carroll's and Scott Aaronson's thoughts on the topic at a previous FQXi conference, I argue that the proper measure is "logical depth," the computation time (or other dynamic computation resource) required by a universal computer to generate the object in question from a near-incompressible description. -Charles H. Bennett

Bookmark and Share

Florin Moldoveanu replied on Jan. 8, 2014 @ 12:54 GMT
Could this lead to advances to prove that P =/= NP?

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Jan. 8, 2014 @ 13:31 GMT
Well done, Zeeya. I was able to hear the Podcast loud and clear on what quantum information is really good for? It appears at the moment, the consensus was 'good for nothing'. My message to Vieques Island, for whatever it is worth...

A magician struts unto a stage, shows an empty hat then brings out and reveals a rabbit (1) to audience applause, he next proceeds to put the rabbit...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali replied on Jan. 8, 2014 @ 13:41 GMT
Thank Akinbo. I like the rabbit example. If you're sending questions, it's also worth copying them to the comment section of Ian's Durham's latest thread too.

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Howard Ray replied on Jan. 8, 2014 @ 17:34 GMT
Akibo,

You write, "Can Nature not express reality and the discrete nature of space by manipulating information of this type?"

To what purpose? Physical information -- those quantities that result from measurement events (such as quantum correlations) -- differs from the qualitative information that sentients assign to phenomena. E.g., adaptive organisms select information that aids...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox wrote on Jan. 8, 2014 @ 23:23 GMT
John Merrymann,

Sounds great. Following your schematic to it's logical conclusion, all you have to do to live forever is to remain active....because you've got all the energy in the universe? It's really a circular argument, and it can as easily be countered with the argument that it's a long way from the revolutionary yet rudimentary laboratory of Lavoisier to intergalactic space; and that energy emerges from the stress between the three dimensions of space and the single dimension of time ( 2 dimensions if you accept reversibility ). Creation of energy which can be seen as more profoundly transient than time, could also explain the essentially steady state you describe without sacrificing entropy.

But it's your model to have time emerge, and information to be energy. Is there a time frame then, that you emerge with the mathematics to support your model, or has that information been erased? I like the info : energy paradigm, how does it work in an equation that I can transport as an element in my lines of reason? A theoretic model is an analog of reality, and from that analog a faithful replication of reality can be projected for the purpose of analysis and refinement. But firstly, the model must be an analog of points of reference in reality which rigidly correspond to points in the model. It is that rigid relationship which forms the armature for the clay of epistemological dialectic defining terms, that maintains the analytical form. A model fashioned ideally from only allegorical illustration, may slump where nature remains firm.

A buddy just commented that I'm "throwin' down my blog". You can hit me back, jrc

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on Jan. 9, 2014 @ 04:20 GMT
John C,

Actually I think to live forever, it would be more a matter of being as inactive as possible. Action is generally, if not always, a feedback loop with one's context. Given one's context will always have more resources than any individual, active lives go through a life cycle of accumulating energy and conforming it to the information which defines that individual, then losing it as...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Anonymous replied on Jan. 9, 2014 @ 05:45 GMT
John Merryman,

Philosophically I am in much agreement with you, but in applicability it does not satisfy. Nor is it fair to presume upon the sculptor for whom a person models. The sculptor never imagines the wire he shapes for the armature, or the clay he molds unto it to portray the shape of the posed figure, to be the reality. And to be truthful in his fashioning the form of the model he is creating, is to never confuse the model with the reality of the person modeling poise. So I believe it should be for me in theorizing.

I was, and am enthusiastic about your information paradigm in a specific regard. That of the coalescence of energy in an amorphis continuum of variation, precipitating a mass. Using a concept like 'the certainty of information is proportional to the density of energy where I = Ec^2 and the value of certainty is 1, the communication of itself by the continuum of energy variation in a closed system is a flow of information which then translates the inertia of the Ec^2 square density quantity throughout the whole energy quantity volume of a rest mass.' Not unlike Mach's principle, but thus discretely measurable.

Personally I try to steer clear of shaggy dog stories, unless they are riotously amusing, in particular the ones about whether the chicken came before the egg. In an ealier life the denizens of The Epistemological and Metaphysical Society of Lower Woodruff Avenue, would call that sort of thing, 'picking fly poop (polite) out of pepper.' best jrc

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on Jan. 9, 2014 @ 10:59 GMT
John C,

If you want to use any of these ideas, more the power to you. Mine's a open source world.

Having been raised in a somewhat feral situation, farm, 5th of 6 siblings, not much emphasis on education, I start out with a somewhat naturalized and organic appreciation for physics, rather than mechanistically precise, so fuzzy connectivity isn't just a poor view, but the tendrils holding it all together. Yes, I do agree wisdom is the editing though.

Regards,

John M

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.