Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Robert McEachern: on 1/7/14 at 19:22pm UTC, wrote "If he's right, then the measured value of dark energy (thought to be...

Zeeya Merali: on 1/7/14 at 14:39pm UTC, wrote Hi Robert, Perhaps I overstated things above. I think that Loeb is trying...

Robert McEachern: on 1/2/14 at 17:40pm UTC, wrote I fail to see how this has any implications for the anthropic principle....

Zeeya Merali: on 1/2/14 at 17:02pm UTC, wrote Best wishes for 2014 from everyone at FQXi! In case you missed it, to say...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jason Wolfe: "Hi Georgina, Steve, What is reality? The humorous answer, almost at the..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Jason Wolfe: "Joe, What you are saying sounds like mathematics. But mathematics doesn't..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Jason, You can only unnaturally make an infinite number of finite written..." in First Things First: The...

Jason Wolfe: "As for religious fundamentalists, I would rather deal with them, then with..." in More on agency from the...

Jason Wolfe: "The best we can do with the environment is to plant more trees and..." in More on agency from the...

gmail login: "Thanks a lot for the post. It has helped me get some nice ideas. I hope I..." in Bonus Koan: A Lake of...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, I don't think the quantum representation of the hydrogen atom is an..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

SAJ Real Estate: "Nice one. Real Estate Sales St Kitts" in A Close Encounter

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi BLOGS
November 17, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Happy New Year from FQXi! [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Jan. 2, 2014 @ 17:02 GMT
Best wishes for 2014 from everyone at FQXi!

In case you missed it, to say goodbye to 2013, I invited FQXi member and quantum physicist Ian Durham, of Saint Anselm College, New Hampshire to pick out his physics highlights of the past year. You can hear the results spread across our 3-part December podcast. Let us know if you agree with the items that he chose--or if you think we have missed something important.

Plus:

Alien hunter Sara Seager chats to reporter Colin Stuart about her FQXi-funded research into biosignature gases on exoplanets and being awarded a MacArthur genius grant.

LHC physicist Tejinder Virdee tells reporter Carinne Piekema more about the Higgs discovery and how it is being used to encourage students in Sub-Saharan Africa towards science.

And astronomer Avi Loeb talks about his recent proposal that the cosmic microwave background could have acted as an incubator for life in our infant universe, just 15 million years after the big bang. Loeb and biophysicist Dean Astumian tell me about the implications of this claim--if it is correct--for the anthropic principle and multiverse theory. You can read more about that in an article that I wrote for Nature a couple of weeks ago too. Oh, and if you want to know what kind of aliens could have survived in those conditions, then think of the Horta, from Star Trek, says Astumian:

(via TrekTV.)

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Robert H McEachern wrote on Jan. 2, 2014 @ 17:40 GMT
I fail to see how this has any implications for the anthropic principle. The Anthropic Principle, properly understood, merely applies "reduction to an absurdity" to state that:

If you make an assumption about some initial conditions, then apply valid deductive logic to that assumption in order to deduce the conclusion that life is implausible, then the absurdity of the conclusion, given the actual existence of life, demonstrates that the original assumption is obviously false.

Rob McEachern

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali replied on Jan. 7, 2014 @ 14:39 GMT
Hi Robert,

Perhaps I overstated things above. I think that Loeb is trying to question the way that proponents of multiverse theory often use anthropic arguments to explain why the cosmological constant is so small, and then say that fits with a picture in which multiple universes exist. The idea (they say) is that many universes exist, each with different physical parameters, including a wide range of values for the cosmological constant. It may well be rare that a universe would pop up with such a small value (as we have in our universe) -- one which also seems unusually suited for life to exist -- but humans would obviously find themselves in the corner of the multiverse that has these parameters because we couldn't evolve in one of the others.

Therefore, multiverse fans say, a typical intelligent observer is most likely to sprout up in a universe (within the multiverse) with a cosmological constant that takes a small value, as we see in our universe.

Loeb's point is that life -- possibly even intelligent life (though that's even more contentious) -- could have evolved even if the cosmological constant was far larger (a million times bigger). In which case, he argues, multiverse supporters should not say that a typical observer would be most likely to find themselves in a universe with a small cosmological constant. If he's right, then the measured value of dark energy (thought to be caused by the effects of a small cosmological constant) should not be taken as backing the multiverse view.

Bookmark and Share

Robert H McEachern replied on Jan. 7, 2014 @ 19:22 GMT
"If he's right, then the measured value of dark energy (thought to be caused by the effects of a small cosmological constant) should not be taken as backing the multiverse view. "

I agree with that conclusion, but it does not follow from the premise. Since, by definition of what is meant by "multiverse", our universe is independent of any other universes, even assuming that they exist. Hence nothing about our universe provides any evidence for anything other than itself.

Rob McEachern

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.