Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

John Cox: on 12/27/13 at 22:45pm UTC, wrote Eckard, This was meant for 'Faster Than Light' Please pardon my display...

Zeeya Merali: on 11/13/13 at 17:29pm UTC, wrote Hi Hector, Which thread are you referring to? I've opened quite few...

Zeeya Merali: on 11/13/13 at 17:27pm UTC, wrote Hi L. K., I probably should have explained that in my original post....

Héctor Gianni: on 11/12/13 at 21:33pm UTC, wrote Zeeya Merali: Dear sir, can you read my post, on your thread...

L K: on 11/11/13 at 22:49pm UTC, wrote The stained glass really is stunning - such vibrant colours. How did you...

Zeeya Merali: on 10/31/13 at 19:06pm UTC, wrote It's not every day that I can claim to have created the universe--or helped...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "With the “A.I. Feynman” software, Silviu-Marian Udrescu and Max Tegmark..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Georgina Woodward: "Coin toss co-state potentials: With the measurement protocol decided, in..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Steve, Sabine Hossenffelder has written an interesting blog post on her..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "If we correlate with the consciousness, can we consider that all is..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Ian Durham, Maybe still for the rankings and the links with this..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Georgina,in the past we have discussed about this Fith force after the 3..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "An other point very important considering this nature.Ecology is so..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

janey hug: "Vape Juice Wholesale When it pertains to vape juice, you require to obtain..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi BLOGS
October 22, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Somnium, Solaris and Making a Glass Universe [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Oct. 31, 2013 @ 19:06 GMT
Credit: Natalie Kay-Thatcher
It's not every day that I can claim to have created the universe--or helped to, at least. But a couple of weeks ago I attended a workshop led by Simone Kay to build an image of the cosmos using stained glass. The glass appliqué panel is now on display at THE CUBE in London, where artist-in-residence Natalie Kay-Thatcher, who organized the workshop, is running a series of space-themed events.

You may recognize Natalie's name; last year, she organized the Jiggling Atoms exhibition. Now, she is producing a series of pieces inspired by two texts, Somnium, by astronomer Johannes Kepler, and Solaris by Polish writer, Stanislaw Lem.

To my shame, I have to admit that I have not read Kepler's Somnium, which describes a trip to the Moon, complete with demons. It is has been called both the first science-fiction novel and the first serious scientific treatise on lunar astronomy (minus the demons). The B&W image, right, is one of Natalie’s illustrations inspired by Kepler's imaginings.

Solaris provides a different challenge for an artist, since it involves an ocean planet that defies understanding by the human mind. I’m currently reading Solaris and I’ll keep you posted on how Natalie deals with the portraying the incomprehensible. But if you’re based in London, I encourage you to visit her exhibition, in person, which is growing day by day, and see for yourself. You can also enrol in one of her workshops (which run into December) or attend one the forthcoming talks by artists and scientists.

I should also list the other contributors to the panel at the top and to the right (who probably all did far more than me): Laura Doehler, Ellie Stamp, Rob Heppell, Matt Cullin, Tim Bell, Ray Goodall and, of course, Simone Kay and Natalie Kay-Thatcher.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

L K wrote on Nov. 11, 2013 @ 22:49 GMT
The stained glass really is stunning - such vibrant colours. How did you make it?

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali replied on Nov. 13, 2013 @ 17:27 GMT
Hi L. K.,

I probably should have explained that in my original post. Simone Kay based the design on an image from the 2MASS satellite survey, drawing the outline of different coloured galaxies onto a sheet of transparent toughened glass, in black marker pen. At the workshop, we had the fun job of smashing bits of stained glass with a hammer -- or trying to cut it to size with glass cutter -- and then sticking down the pieces with glue. There was a bleeding hand incident (not mine), but apart from that, it all went well. The black background was filled in with grout.

Credit: Simone Kay
Here's a framed image.

Bookmark and Share

Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Nov. 12, 2013 @ 21:33 GMT
Zeeya Merali:

Dear sir, can you read my post, on your thread abouit space and time?

I will be gratefull for your atention.Tank you

Héctor Daniel Gianni

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali replied on Nov. 13, 2013 @ 17:29 GMT
Hi Hector,

Which thread are you referring to? I've opened quite few threads (sometimes on behalf of other people), so I'm not sure which you mean.

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox replied on Dec. 27, 2013 @ 22:45 GMT
Eckard,

This was meant for 'Faster Than Light'

Please pardon my display of Wikignorance, but if Pete insists on having a reference frame in spacetime which establishes celeritus as the uniform constant of propagation, how about a 3 Sphere transiting a hyperplane, the boundaries of which are the troughs of a wavelength time span?

A wavetrain of monophotonic stream emission is represented by a 3 Sphere entering a hyperplane at point of contact x. The hyperplane has a time boundary co-incidental to the wavelength, x,x'. In transit of the time boundary the 3 Sphere evolves from the zero point to a volumetric sphere with its maximal size occurring at mid-point of the hyperplane time boundary and collapses again to a point. Physically this is consistent with Faraday and Maxwell, and obtains what you and Tom keep saying, Light Velocity knows what it is! Merry January 6th. jrc

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.