Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Angels Vedas: on 12/4/18 at 9:58am UTC, wrote Violet sapphire helps in conception of new ideas. It enables to see the all...

Angels Vedas: on 11/30/18 at 9:56am UTC, wrote Ocean Jasper brings that same spirit of peace and letting go. The Ocean...

Kate Grill: on 11/28/18 at 17:03pm UTC, wrote The past two years have been mind bending trying to naviicomplex space....

Angels Vedas: on 11/28/18 at 6:29am UTC, wrote Almandine Garnet is strong regenerative healing stone bringing strength and...

Angels Vedas: on 11/24/18 at 6:29am UTC, wrote Topaz with diamond helps you to become aware of the influence you have and...

Angels Vedas: on 11/23/18 at 7:03am UTC, wrote Chrysotile pendant was made carefully to attune the Universal Life Force...

Angels Vedas: on 11/23/18 at 6:36am UTC, wrote Rose Quartz earrings with handmade sterling silver studs using...

Angels Vedas: on 11/2/18 at 8:42am UTC, wrote Amethyst is a very powerful crystal. It works at Sahastrara Chakra or Crown...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "'Energy' can be a measurable. Measured or calculated, number value assigned..." in Cosmological Koans

Lorraine Ford: "Georgina, Energy is merely a category of information in the same sense..." in Cosmological Koans

Joe Fisher: "Dear Reality Fans, The real VISIBLE Universe never “started out.”..." in First Things First: The...

isabell ella: "If you are facing Cash app related problems and want to get support..." in Cosmic Dawn, Parallel...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

Michael Hussey: "it is really difficult to understand what is all about all the things..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
July 19, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: A Brief Examination of Information and Material Objects by Chris Granger [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Chris Granger wrote on Jul. 10, 2013 @ 12:41 GMT
Essay Abstract

An examination of “information” and “material objects” suggests they represent an intrinsic duality, at least with regard to our perceptual reality.

Author Bio

Former NASA/JPL engineer/computational scientist; video game industry veteran. Current CTO, Liberty Airguns LLC.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman wrote on Jul. 10, 2013 @ 19:22 GMT
Chris,

Clear, concise and well reasoned. Obviously you are not a professional physicist.

I haven't much been bothering to promote my own entry, but it is also a concise effort to cut thought the infinite complexity for which this discipline is a magnet, but you might find it compatible.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 11, 2013 @ 14:39 GMT
John,

Thanks! I certainly understand your sentiment with respect to the often convoluted papers produced by physicists. But that said, I have to admit my own professional background has conferred the professional physicist moniker on occasion, so I can't reasonably exclude myself from that group either.

I will add that it is comparatively easy to make a radically complex paper, especially a mathematically complex one (as you might imagine, my particular background is quite the haven for such complex contrivances).

As you undoubtedly recognize, it is far more difficult to communicate abstract ideas simply, and if the goal is relating an idea to an audience, especially something as esoteric and general as a response to this essay question, it really needs to focus on the fundamentals.

There is a juncture where mathematical analysis becomes important, but in my view, that doesn't fit within the scope of this particular effort. It seems that you agree with this assessment, and I hope others do also.

Thanks again! And I'll be sure to read and comment on your essay as well!

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on Jul. 14, 2013 @ 11:16 GMT
Chris,

(Thought I'd cross post this, since the conversations can get convoluted.)

Thank you for your consideration and it is a bit of a surprise how narrow the focus can be in this field. Personally I come at physics from a more cultural/historical basis, in which it becomes obvious, under all the emotion and drama, that it is physics which determines the course of events. Then getting into studying physics, how much politics and herd behavior guides the field.

While this may not be what you expect, it does build a broad argument for the information/energy dichotomy.

On a further note, here is my entry in last years Questioning the Foundations contest. For someone willing to look at the situation from a different perspective, it may be of interest.

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on Jul. 14, 2013 @ 22:02 GMT
Chris,

A couple of other entries you may find of interest:

It from Bit from It from Bit... Nature and Nonlinear Logic by William C. McHarris

Without Cause by Mark Feeley

Bookmark and Share

Zoran Mijatovic wrote on Jul. 11, 2013 @ 00:20 GMT
Hello Chris,

Cool essay. Differentiating between mathematical abstractions in a virtual continuous absolute space and time, and the real discrete world where a circle is just a bunch of dogs chasing each others tails, is really cool. One question though, is your last sentence truncated deliberately?

Regards.

Zoran.

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 11, 2013 @ 14:48 GMT
Zoran,

Thanks for the comments!

I just re-read my last sentence. Actually, I hadn't planned it so metaphorically, but such does happen on occasion (words can sometimes mirror thoughts). I'm glad you pointed that out!

That said, it's complete but brief; I think you've already got it, but perhaps I can restate... In essence, for something to be manifest as physically existent (at least within our perceptual reality) it cannot be manifest with an infinite precision, and so we would expect incomplete information as compared to an ideal abstraction, and thus similarly inherent quantum behaviors at the most fundamental levels (again, at least within our perceptual reality).

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Ralph Waldo Walker III wrote on Jul. 11, 2013 @ 00:51 GMT
Chris,

I agree that if, by definition, we were to say that, "if something cannot be known, it simply does not exist," is a contrivance that, "is both unsettling and unsatisfactory; the use of such semantic arguments to constrain scientific principles is hardly scientific." Since all thought is 'conceptual' in nature, and can only provide us with an intellectual picture of 'reality' - whatever reality actually is - then any intellectual understanding would be based upon the manner in which we define things. In particular, how we define 'information' would affect how our minds comprehend reality.

I also agree that the limitations of physics as a science is not suited to capture the entire picture of the universe. The root of the problem in science is that none of its branches study the tree as a whole.

I think you made several good points and enjoyed reading your essay.

Best to you,

Ralph

P. S. Your essay is not the only one wherein 'Joe' describes things as 'codswollop.'

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 11, 2013 @ 15:08 GMT
Ralph,

Thanks for the comments; I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I think you're correct in that science, at least the way it's traditionally studied, is fragmented. My own background is interdisciplinary and I tend to look at things more as extended systems than as specialized fields; perhaps that provides a different type of insight into certain problems.

In the case of understanding the universe in totality, it goes deeper in the sense that we either have to accept that things may exist which 'cannot' be known (and thus science cannot be applied as there is no information) or postulate (without any information) that all things which exist 'can' be known, the latter being true if we limit our universe to some perceptual set - but we then have no way of determining if such is indeed a totality (or even if the term totality has meaning in that respect). It is perhaps more effective to recognize that physics is limited to that which 'can' be known, and thus it is a study of information in that context.

I also think you have honed in on one important aspect of definitions - that they are abstract concepts which we have contrived. So as you noted, we bias our intellectual understanding based on our own set of definitions, which can most certainly lead to circular conclusions in certain circumstances.

Thanks again!

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jul. 11, 2013 @ 06:07 GMT
Dear Chris

You set requirements for one definition of information and I have tried to do that - so suggest you make suggestions to comment.

And to change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition along with demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 11, 2013 @ 16:06 GMT
Hoang,

Thanks for the feedback!

You've provided a lot of information in this post; I want to consider it in more detail before giving you a complete response.

In brief though, I agree (at least in principle) that no two separably identifiable 'things' can be be 'exact' in all regards and that 'similarity' does not confer 'exactness' in the strictest sense. That said, I will need to examine your essay to become clear on your particular use of the term 'absolute' within this context.

Thanks again!

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jul. 11, 2013 @ 21:28 GMT
Dear Chris

Thank you for presenting your nice essay. I saw the abstract and will post my comments soon. So you can produce matter from your thinking. . . .

I am requesting you to go through my essay also. And I take this opportunity to say, to come to reality and base your arguments on experimental results.

I failed mainly because I worked against the main stream. The main...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 12, 2013 @ 16:34 GMT
SNP,

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure how you interpreted that from my essay. I make no comments or suggestions regarding if one can (or cannot) produce (as in physically manifest) matter from their thinking; I am not addressing such here at all.

I am saying that all things which can be known comprise information, and that the presence of information confers that which...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 06:01 GMT
Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your interest in my essay and for your time spent on this essay. These are very good questions.

Please note that I will be putting - - - - - before your words. Next will be my answers.

- - - - -I'm not sure how you interpreted that from my essay. I make no comments or suggestions regarding if one can (or cannot) produce (as in physically...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jul. 14, 2013 @ 20:44 GMT
Part 1

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your post in my essay I am putting my reply here also.

Thank you very much for your interest in my essay and for your time spent on this essay. These are very good questions.

Please note that I will be putting - - - - - before your words. Next will be my answers.

- - - - -Thanks for presenting this essay, it was quite interesting. - - - - -

Thank you very much for your appreciation once again.

- - - - - Although perhaps a bit off topic for this particular contest, I nevertheless appreciate approaches which attempt to examine questions from experimental perspectives. - - - - -

This not off topic please. I think you got my point, instead of wasting educated brain power in very dry half philosophical TOPICS, we should divert them into more practical and experimental results.

- - - - - You might be aware that others have also proposed that the CMBR could be a result of blackbody radiation from matter in the universe. - - - - -

I know. When there is NO mathematical singularity like Bigbang or Blackhole, why such radiation will come? I checked for 100’s of areas in the sky. And the measurements are matching with observations. If you have data for any particular area in the sky, we can work-out together and match and see results. You should be interested in practical experimenting, that’s it.

best

=snp

snp.gupta@gmail.com

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Jul. 14, 2013 @ 20:50 GMT
Part 2

Dear Chris,

Please continue...

- - - - - That is, if you allow for some mechanism whereby light can experience redshift with distance irrespective of cosmic expansion (of which there have been some arguments) one could posit that such presents an alternative resolution, in the same manner as cosmic expansion. To show this you would need an experiment demonstrating that the redshift occurs regardless of whether cosmic expansion exists, and further that the magnitude of redshift is sufficient to the observed intensity. - - - - -

IF WANT TO KNOW, AND WANT TO COME OUT OT YOUR FEELINGS THAT OUR IS A TOTALLY EXPANDING UNIVERSE, I WILL TELL YOU SOME OF THE TODAY’S OBSERVATIONS IN THE SKY. THERE ARE ALMOST 35% BLUE SHIFTED GALAXIES, 20 % GALAXIES WHICH DON’T SHOW ANY SHIFT AT ALL AND REMAINING ARE REDSHIFTED.

You can have a look at my books…( SEE THE 4TH BOOK)

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=882633903957483
4163&pli=1#editor/target=page;pageID=3475395384539870110

http
://vaksdynamicuniversemodel.blogspot.in/2012/09/discussion-w
ith-forrest-noble-on-new.html

NOW I WILL ASK YOU HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN ABOUT THE BLUE SHIFTED AND NON-SHIFTED GALAXIES? JUST IGNORE THEM, IS IT NOT…?

- - - - - Without a more detailed review, I'm not yet certain that your particular experiment could suitably differentiate between possible redshift mechanisms and/or anisotropy mechanisms. - - - - -

I REQUEST YOU OR SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS GO FOR A DETAILED REVIEW AND CONTACT ME FOR ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

- - - - - Such a theory suggests that measured WMAP anisotropies result from non-inflationary effects, including redshift effects unrelated to cosmic expansion, of which have not yet been demonstrated as matching the measured data, at least at present, as far as I'm currently aware. - - - - -

Yes I know, please check my data and match with measured data, as I said earlier.

best

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Jul. 14, 2013 @ 21:30 GMT
Part3

Dear Chris,

Final part . . . .

- - - - -Also, it appears that from your essay you are considering the ISM/IGM to be the major sources of aliasing when it comes to uniformity in the CMB as measured from Earth; you state that, in your estimation, large anisotropies would be measurable outside of galaxies which suggests yet another resolution mechanism. - - - -...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 03:47 GMT
Hello Chris,

Your essay is absolutely excellent! A pleasure to read, relevant and interesting.

I think the angle which you attack the question gives a perfect unarguable answer. The example where we can't define Pi to an infinite number of places and the potential consequences this has on the Universe to be in flux along with quantum behaviours at the most fundamental level, seem intuitively sensible. This sits nicely with uncertainty.

One of my favourite essays so far! If you get chance please take a look at mine.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 04:13 GMT
Antony,

Thanks for the excellent feedback (and compliments)! I'm very glad that you enjoyed my essay, and I'm certainly looking forward to reading yours.

Thanks again!

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan replied on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 05:36 GMT
No problem - as I said - one of my favourites. I'm going to rate it highly now before | forget - there are too many! :o)

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan replied on Aug. 5, 2013 @ 14:09 GMT
Thanks for the excellent comments over on my thread Chris!

All the best,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 18:23 GMT
Hi Chris,

I enjoyed your essay, and I agree with your points fairly broadly, finding no major points of contention, but I think the paper was way too short. Somehow; I get the impression that, while you could have said more - and probably would have had cool stuff to say - you ducked the responsibility to elaborate, because it might get you into trouble. I think you will find several points of agreement with my essay, but you will also see that I made a diligent effort to carry those thoughts forward to their logical conclusions. I hope you will enjoy, and feel that my extra effort was warranted.

I like your statements about PI and the nature of the absolute. In my case; it would be the shores of the Mandelbrot Set that take me there. There comes a point where the image can no longer be faithfully resolved, because binary decomposition sets in when the distance to the next pixel is smaller than the smallest bit available to represent that size of number on the computer. In the purely theoretical sense, you know there is something specific there, and you may be able to identify it as a miniature copy of M, but it becomes a physical impossibility to zoom in one more time, at some point.

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 16, 2013 @ 02:28 GMT
Jonathan,

Thanks for the comments; I'm glad you enjoyed it and wanted to read more! And sure, I certainly could have written more (in fact, I could have written volumes). But this essay was intended to address a specific topic and answer a specific question with clarity; there was no need for additional prose - verbosity does not confer clarity.

It's not about ducking or getting into trouble, but rather precision of explanation. Given the goals of this essay contest, there's no compelling reason to write nine pages when two pages convey the same fundamental message. One can always elaborate to infinity, but there's little reason to do so in this particular case. If this were a fiction novel it might be different, but that wasn't the intent here.

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to review your essay!

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Michael Helland wrote on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 22:10 GMT
Hello,

Nice work. You write: That is, in such a case one cannot have the information without the entities.

That seems to preclude the possibility of our theories being wrong.

Through tout history and even in science sometimes we think we have information about something and it turns out that something doesn't exist, because our understanding was so wrong.

Things like dragons and ghosts and the big bang.

Also, I should point out that you make the "soup" approach as described in my entry, where what is real is narrowly focused on just one type of real, one mode of existence.

The chair I'm sitting in and the experience of its hardness are both real, but not in the same way.

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 16, 2013 @ 01:53 GMT
Michael,

Thanks for your feedback!

Current theories can most certainly be wrong; I made no statement suggesting otherwise. Rather, in that particular sentence you've taken out of context, I was summarizing the duality of information and material objects of which I had shown previously.

My essay speaks to the fundamental nature of information, not our understandings or interpretations of it. As I noted to an earlier commenter, I am not speaking to any specific abstract interpretation of some information, but rather information itself. An interpretation of some information subset may be incorrect, but such is a fault of errant conclusion via ignorance; this may be partly a function of the level of information incompleteness, but has noting to do with information itself.

When we talk of physics we talk of what can be known. And, as I mentioned in my essay, definitions by their nature can present issues including circular reasoning. For instance, you defined subsets of 'real' in your above comment in accordance with your own interpretive sentiments; I would argue that both of your examples are 'real' and thus residing within one set in our perceptual reality. They both comprise information and as such both can be known; thus, they are real within the context of physics and our perceptual reality. While you may arbitrarily choose to further segregate them via specific features or whatnot, they still both reside within one set of reality.

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Michael Helland replied on Jul. 16, 2013 @ 09:15 GMT
Thanks for the response.

You mentioned: "Current theories can most certainly be wrong; I made no statement suggesting otherwise"

True, true.

But you also said information is what we know about entities.

Do I have that right?

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 16, 2013 @ 13:06 GMT
Michael,

Actually no, that's not an accurate representation of what I said.

Information is that which 'can be known'. Conversely, that which 'cannot be known' does not comprise information. As a study, physics can only consider that which 'can be known' and is thus a study of information. My essay shows why information and material objects present an intrinsic duality within the context of physics, at least within our perceptual reality.

Note that this is fundamentally different then saying information is 'what we know about entities' because such a definition implies 'our knowledge' about things. Our state of knowledge is irrelevant to the presence of information. By definition, information becomes knowledge when it becomes known. This does not simply imply human knowledge, but knowledge in a physics sense in that information has been sensed in some fashion. Due to the fundamental inability to represent information physically with infinite precision, that which becomes known will always be incomplete with respect to the total possible information in any continuous abstract representation. This suggests fundamentally quantum behaviors, at least within our perceptual reality.

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 17, 2013 @ 10:00 GMT
Dear Chris,

A very short essay, straight to the point and to be re-read later. Meanwhile...

As the contest in Wheeler's honor draws to a close, leaving for the moment considerations of rating and prize money, and knowing we cannot all agree on whether 'it' comes from 'bit' or otherwise or even what 'it' and 'bit' mean, and as we may not be able to read all essays, though we should try, I pose the following 4 simple questions and will rate you accordingly before July 31 when I will be revisiting your blog.

"If you wake up one morning and dip your hand in your pocket and 'detect' a million dollars, then on your way back from work, you dip your hand again and find that there is nothing there…

1) Have you 'elicited' an information in the latter case?

2) If you did not 'participate' by putting your 'detector' hand in your pocket, can you 'elicit' information?

3) If the information is provided by the presence of the crisp notes ('its') you found in your pocket, can the absence of the notes, being an 'immaterial source' convey information?

Finally, leaving for the moment what the terms mean and whether or not they can be discretely expressed in the way spin information is discretely expressed, e.g. by electrons

4) Can the existence/non-existence of an 'it' be a binary choice, representable by 0 and 1?"

Answers can be in binary form for brevity, i.e. YES = 1, NO = 0, e.g. 0-1-0-1.

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 17, 2013 @ 19:17 GMT
Akinbo,

Thanks for the comments!

I certainly hope you appreciate the concise manner in how I've presented this. As I noted to another commenter, verbosity does not confer clarity. In this particular case, and for this particular purpose, additional prose doesn't convey additional salient meaning.

While the answers to your questions may be found in my essay, I'll play along...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo replied on Jul. 20, 2013 @ 12:34 GMT
Thanks Chris,

I appreciate your time in responding to the 4 questions. The words elicit, participate, detector are as used by Wheeler in his famous It from Bit quote.

I am rating your essay not on the brevity but on the high factual content.

Best regards,

Akinbo

*My essay is longer so I don't know if you have the time to read and rate.

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 21, 2013 @ 04:39 GMT
Thanks! I certainly did not mean to imply that you were the only one to use the term 'elicit'; if answering to Wheeler I would have identically clarified that term as used within this question's scope to avoid mistakenly convolving 'knowledge' of information and information 'itself'.

I will try to find some time to read and comment on your paper, however I cannot guarantee that I can give it proper diligence before the contest end date. However, I will read it in detail at some point and if you'd still like my feedback I can provide it.

Thanks again,

Chris

Bookmark and Share

basudeba mishra wrote on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 03:58 GMT
Dear Sir,

Information is specific data reporting the state of something based on observation (measurements), organized and summarized for a purpose within a context that gives it meaning and relevance and can lead to either an increase in understanding or decrease in uncertainty. Information is not tied to one’s specific knowledge of how particles are created and their early interactions,...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 15:12 GMT
Thanks for your comment.

Unfortunately, you are fundamentally incorrect in your description (and understanding) of information in this context; further, you have misrepresented my position in several regards.

I urge you to carefully re-read my essay, and also the feedback I've provided with others in this thread. All the concepts for recognizing your errors are included there, including your errant convolution of information 'itself' with the 'knowledge' of information, of which are two very separate concepts.

Thanks again.

Chris

Bookmark and Share

basudeba mishra wrote on Jul. 19, 2013 @ 00:30 GMT
Thank you Sir,

for pointing out our deficiencies. We will try to improve upon it.

The fact that we wrote such a long analysis shows that we have read your essay very carefully. Since our essay has been highly appreciated by those who have read it (including Dr. Klingman, who commented on it superlatively in his thread), we must have known a little about the subject. But you are entitled to your remarks.

We do not do a cut and paste job. We do fundamental research and question anything that does not correspond to reality or logically not consistent. Thus, we understand your views. We admit that we do not understand 'establishment science', because we are not superstitious and do not accept everything blindly and parrot it as knowledge. In stead of referring us to your essay and your comments, which are essentially compilations of misguided views of others, it would have been better if you had pointed specific errors in our post, so that we would have got an opportunity to explain or if necessary, correct our position. After all, we are not here for any recognition or money or false vanity, but to understand Nature for our own satisfaction.

Regards,

basudeba

Bookmark and Share

Author Chris Granger replied on Jul. 19, 2013 @ 02:33 GMT
My response was because you used my examples as mere segways for your viewpoints while ignoring the salient aspects of my essay; the remarks I have made to other commenters are important because they have covered some of these aspects.

I would certainly be willing to engage in a discourse, but I'd like you to understand my position properly before doing so. In addition, I am not one who...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Yutaka Shikano wrote on Jul. 20, 2013 @ 14:46 GMT
Hi Chris,

I really enjoyed reading your essay. I would like to ask you your opinion on the Shannon original papers about the amount of information. His papers seem to be opposite to your viewpoint.

Best wishes,

Yutaka

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on Jul. 21, 2013 @ 05:08 GMT
Yutaka,

Thanks; I'm glad you enjoyed my essay!

I would posit that my viewpoint, although more fundamental than Shannon, is certainly compatible with information entropy when considered from an information theoretic context, given such as a pre-detector predictive/post-detector realized state. Perhaps you could elaborate on what you've interpreted as the dichotomy of views so I can more appropriately address your question. That said, I do want to caution that 'knowledge' of information (what is 'detected') and information 'itself' (that which can be known) are fundamentally different (as described in my essay).

Thanks again!

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Jul. 20, 2013 @ 18:37 GMT
Chris,

Great essay. I do like your thesis, and very well presented. At this stage the vale of concise is enhanced! I nice boost to you on the way.

It seems we both have a foot each in the pro-am camps. I'm sure you agree that has both good and bad effects.

My own is a bit more empirical, but also quite radical and ambitious. I do hope you'll read and like it.

Very best wishes.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Jul. 21, 2013 @ 02:43 GMT
Dear Chris,

I have down loaded your essay and soon post my comments on it. Meanwhile, please, go through my essay and post your comments.

Regards and good luck in the contest,

Sreenath BN.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1827

Bookmark and Share

sridattadev kancharla wrote on Jul. 23, 2013 @ 00:30 GMT
Dear All,

It is with utmost joy and love that I give you all the cosmological iSeries which spans the entire numerical spectrum from -infinity through 0 to +infinity and the simple principle underlying it is sum of any two consecutive numbers is the next number in the series. 0 is the base seed and i can be any seed between 0 and infinity.

iSeries always yields two sub semi...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Than Tin wrote on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 04:34 GMT
Hello Chris

Richard Feynman in his Nobel Acceptance Speech

(http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/19
65/feynman-lecture.html)

said: “It always seems odd to me that the fundamental laws of physics, when discovered, can appear in so many different forms that are not apparently identical at first, but with a little mathematical fiddling you can show the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales wrote on Jul. 29, 2013 @ 01:30 GMT
Dear Chris,

I found your essay provocative and deeply introspective regarding how we perceive reality. I agree with your summary, "that all real things are approximations of their potential information." Although you have a different approach to the essay topic than I do, I found your conclusion inspiring and most worthy of merit.

I hope that more people will take the time to review your insightful essay.

Best wishes,

Manuel

Bookmark and Share

john stephan selye wrote on Aug. 1, 2013 @ 21:57 GMT
Having read so many insightful essays, I am probably not the only one to find that my views have crystallized, and that I can now move forward with growing confidence. I cannot exactly say who in the course of the competition was most inspiring - probably it was the continuous back and forth between so many of us. In this case, we should all be grateful to each other.

If I may, I'd like to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

john stephan selye wrote on Aug. 1, 2013 @ 22:00 GMT
Dear Chris - I posted the above - please note that I will read and rate your essay in the next two days. I see that Mr. Morales recommends it - and he found my work very relevant to his own. I hope to hear from you soon!

John

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 20:32 GMT
Dear Chris,

I've lost a lot of comments and replies on my thread and many other threads I have commented on over the last few days. This has been a lot of work and I feel like it has been a waste of time and energy. Seems to have happened to others too - if not all.

I WILL ATTEMPT to revisit all threads to check and re-post something. I think your thread was one affected by this.

I can't remember the full extent of what I said, but I have notes so know that I rated your work very highly.

Hopefully the posts will be able to be retrieved by FQXi.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

eAmazigh M. HANNOU wrote on Aug. 6, 2013 @ 01:20 GMT
Dear Chris,

We are at the end of this essay contest.

In conclusion, at the question to know if Information is more fundamental than Matter, there is a good reason to answer that Matter is made of an amazing mixture of eInfo and eEnergy, at the same time.

Matter is thus eInfo made with eEnergy rather than answer it is made with eEnergy and eInfo ; because eInfo is eEnergy, and the one does not go without the other one.

eEnergy and eInfo are the two basic Principles of the eUniverse. Nothing can exist if it is not eEnergy, and any object is eInfo, and therefore eEnergy.

And consequently our eReality is eInfo made with eEnergy. And the final verdict is : eReality is virtual, and virtuality is our fundamental eReality.

Good luck to the winners,

And see you soon, with good news on this topic, and the Theory of Everything.

Amazigh H.

I rated your essay.

Please visit My essay.

Bookmark and Share

Margriet Anne O'Regan wrote on Aug. 6, 2013 @ 01:51 GMT
Hello Chris, from Margriet O'Regan from Down Under

I certainly enjoyed your analysis !! "Anything can abstractly possess an infinite amount of information, including both infinite temporal and spatial precision, which must be truncated for it to exist in any tangible sense." Here I see you running up against what theoretical physicists 'problematic infinities' which apparently keep cropping...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Franklin Hu wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 05:11 GMT
At least you were brief and understandable to the average public.

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 07:34 GMT
Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Bookmark and Share

Michael Helland wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 16:23 GMT
Nice work. I gave you a ten.

http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1616

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 19:07 GMT
Dear Chris,

I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest and appreciate your contribution to this competition.

I have been thoroughly impressed at the breadth, depth and quality of the ideas represented in this contest. In true academic spirit, if you have not yet reviewed my essay, I invite you to do so and leave your comments.

You can find the latest version of my essay here:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Borrill-TimeOne-
V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

May the best essays win!

Kind regards,

Paul Borrill

paul at borrill dot com

Bookmark and Share

Mollie Grant wrote on Sep. 6, 2017 @ 07:12 GMT
Writing an essay is important and you have to follow the rules and regulations. You can learn these facts from scholarship essay writing service. The experts over there will give the best tips for writing essay and that will help you while participating in a competition.

Bookmark and Share

harold ewis wrote on Mar. 12, 2018 @ 09:27 GMT
This article gives the light in which we could see reality. This can be incredibly better than average one and gives indepth information. Thankful for this awesome article Best professional writing Service Canada

Bookmark and Share

harold ewis wrote on Mar. 12, 2018 @ 09:29 GMT
Online Thesis writing services Canada This article gives the light in which we could see reality. This can be incredibly better than average one and gives indepth information. Thankful for this awesome article

Bookmark and Share

Angels Vedas wrote on Nov. 2, 2018 @ 08:40 GMT
Amethyst is a very powerful crystal. It works at Sahastrara Chakra or Crown Chakra which is the highest energy chakra on our body. It facilitates our energy absorption from the universe and equally distributes among all organs of our body. Amethyst helps in grounding and stabilises the meditator while performing high level of meditations.Rose Quartz is a finest Healer. It is excellent in case of trauma and crisis. This bracelets helps in releasing long term suppressed emotions or thoughts in most subtle and acceptable manner. It soothes internal pain and heals Deprivation.Buy now!

Bookmark and Share

Angels Vedas wrote on Nov. 2, 2018 @ 08:42 GMT
Amethyst is a very powerful crystal. It works at Sahastrara Chakra or Crown Chakra which is the highest energy chakra on our body. It facilitates our energy absorption from the universe and equally distributes among all organs of our body. Amethyst helps in grounding and stabilises the meditator while performing high level of meditations.Rose Quartz is a finest Healer. It is excellent in case of trauma and crisis.

Bookmark and Share

Angels Vedas wrote on Nov. 23, 2018 @ 06:36 GMT
Rose Quartz earrings with handmade sterling silver studs using natural Rose Quartz gemstones. The ancient Egyptians wore jewelry made of quartz, and now you can too! Due to its unique beauty, quartz has long been a popular jewelry choice for people across different cultures and time periods. Browse our collection and pick out a timeless pair of quartz earrings today.

One of the facts about Rose quartz pear-shaped gemstone and Crystal earring that is very important is its effectiveness at healing personal relationships. Buy now!

For more visit Quartz earring with gemstones.

Bookmark and Share

Angels Vedas wrote on Nov. 23, 2018 @ 07:03 GMT
Chrysotile pendant was made carefully to attune the Universal Life Force with the harmony of the setting and the metaphysical properties of the stones. The result is a pendant of high energy and focus. You will find these to be energizing and refreshing to wear or use. This pendant contains a variety of uses from being used as a necklace to being hung in your vehicle as a good luck charm. Chrysotile is best for people suffering problems of depression, lack of self-love, non-acceptability by society or peers. Chrysotile Pendant is a great healer- it heals all love related issues of a current lifetime and those arising from previous lifetimes

Chrysotile pendant was made carefully to attune the Universal Life Force with the harmony of the setting and the metaphysical properties of the stones. Buy now!

visit Crystal chrysotile pendant for more.

Bookmark and Share

Angels Vedas wrote on Nov. 24, 2018 @ 06:29 GMT
Topaz with diamond helps you to become aware of the influence you have and of knowledge you have gained through hard work and years of experiences. This necklace is made with love and Blue TopazBlue Topaz is the heated variety of Topaz wherein they undergo high temperatures to enhance the color blue in them. 

Visit us at Silver Sky Blue Topaz Necklace for more information

Bookmark and Share

Angels Vedas wrote on Nov. 28, 2018 @ 06:29 GMT
Almandine Garnet is strong regenerative healing stone bringing strength and stamina. It is supportive in taking time for yourself, bringing deep love and aids in integrating truth and affinity with higher self. It opens higher minds and encourages charity and compassion.Almandine garnet gold and silver earring helps you to absorb iron in the intestines and stimulates eye and treats liver and pancreas

Visit silver and gold garnet earring for more.

Bookmark and Share

Kate Grill wrote on Nov. 28, 2018 @ 17:03 GMT
The past two years have been mind bending trying to naviicomplex space. It's exciting that we're at a point where we can start to not only talk about some of what we learned, but begin to put it into practice. BTW if y need any writing help find it on https://cheap-essay-writing.net/

Bookmark and Share

Angels Vedas wrote on Nov. 30, 2018 @ 09:56 GMT
Ocean Jasper brings that same spirit of peace and letting go. The Ocean Jasper is known as the stone of creative inspiration for its energetic quality of empowering the faculties of personal talent to put into practice ideas and creative thoughts, original and fun. Necklace with Oval & Pear shaped Oceanic Jaspers spherical patterns are a spiritual reminder of how thoughts, words and actions interact in our world and flow in a circular direction. Visit Oceanic oval and pear-shaped jaspers for more.

Bookmark and Share

Angels Vedas wrote on Dec. 4, 2018 @ 09:58 GMT
Violet sapphire helps in conception of new ideas. It enables to see the all possible outcomes and help in taking the right course of action to achieve goals. Violet Sapphire Ring is made with 1.25 carat Violet Sapphire in 22K gold. The ring is tastefully made by using Gold Carvings around the Sapphire that are inspired from the carvings found in one of the Eight wonders of the world.

visit : https://angelsandvedas.com/rings/violet-saphire-ring

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.