Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Paul Borrill: on 8/7/13 at 21:35pm UTC, wrote Dear Maria, I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest...

Cristinel Stoica: on 8/7/13 at 7:40am UTC, wrote Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Antony Ryan: on 8/5/13 at 13:28pm UTC, wrote Dear Maria, Another great essay, as I mentioned above, so my high rankings...

Jacek Safuta: on 8/3/13 at 12:56pm UTC, wrote Hi Maria, Your essay is very interesting and well written. Your...

Antony Ryan: on 7/29/13 at 15:41pm UTC, wrote Dear Maria, Nice concise essay, which I like as it shows the author knows...

Vladimir Tamari: on 7/29/13 at 1:27am UTC, wrote Dear Maria I enjoyed your short and sweet essay because it answered the...

Manuel Morales: on 7/25/13 at 12:02pm UTC, wrote Maria, I can't help but notice that you have not replied to anyone? ...

William Carine: on 7/24/13 at 16:54pm UTC, wrote Hi Maria, What an exciting look at what may lie behind the veil of...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Ian, I've been thinking about choice of carrot or pepper. Behaving in a..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Lorraine Ford: "(continued) 3. “…so this is what defines a free choice : the Zeta..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Georgina Woodward: "What is happening in material reality provides the connection to inertia...." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Georgina Woodward: ""We saw early on that as conformed by countless experiment, there is no..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

andrea gonzalez: "Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. If want to collect free gift card..." in Memory, Causality and...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Poker Online: "https://www.jakartapoker.net/" in Downward causation:...

Enquire us: "Your Ro system desires regular maintenance to confirm it’s continually in..." in Agency in the Physical...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
August 25, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: On Emergence and Wheeler's dream by Maria G. Carrillo-Ruiz [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Maria Carrillo-Ruiz wrote on Jul. 5, 2013 @ 16:30 GMT
Essay Abstract

In this essay we take a quick look at the concept of cellular automata and use it as the link between Wheeler's information-theoretic framework and the concept of emergence in order to identify whether information or material objects (and their interactions) are fundamental.

Author Bio

The author holds a Master's degree in Physics from the University of Guanajuato, Mexico. She has collaborated in studies of Lattice Field Theory.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 5, 2013 @ 21:20 GMT
Maria,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Manuel S Morales wrote on Jul. 6, 2013 @ 11:47 GMT
Maria,

As of 7-6-13, 7:47 am EST, the rating function for your essay is not available. Sorry I can't help you out right now by rating your essay. NOTE: I have logged in using a PC and a MAC and different browsers but it appears to be a site function issue.

Manuel

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales replied on Jul. 7, 2013 @ 21:16 GMT
Maria,

I have sent an email requesting that FQXi extend to those of you who had their essay posted on July 5, 2013, be allowed additional days to compensate for the days of not being able to rate these essays.

My experience in conducting the online Tempt Destiny (TD) experiment from 2000 to 2012 gave me an understanding of the complexities involved in administrating an online competition which assures me that the competition will be back up and running soon. Ironically, the inability of not being able to rate the essays correlates with the TD experimental findings, as presented in my essay, which show how the acts of selection are fundamental to our physical existence.

Anyway, I hope that all entrants will be allocated the same opportunity to have their essay rated when they are posted, and if not possible due to technical difficulties, will have their opportunity adjusted accordingly. Best wishes to you with your entry.

Manuel

PS I will be reviewing and rating your entry after this function has been turned back on.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jul. 7, 2013 @ 02:02 GMT
Dear Maria

Short but complete and very practical.I appreciate your essay will be graded and the rating system continues to operate.

And to change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition along with demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after receiving the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Israel Perez wrote on Jul. 9, 2013 @ 01:16 GMT
Dear Maria

I just read your short and interesting essay. Despite that it is short I could catch the deep insight into the nature of reality. You have presented a crucial view that makes clear that information actually emerges from the stuff the world is made of. From my view your arguments are of considerable weight to decide if Wheeler's dream is feasible or not. I have some comments and...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jul. 12, 2013 @ 00:00 GMT
Dear Maria,

Thank you for presenting your nice essay. I saw the abstract and will post my comments soon. So you can produce matter from your thinking or from information description of that matter. . . . ?

I am requesting you to go through my essay also. And I take this opportunity to say, to come to reality and base your arguments on experimental results.

I failed mainly...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Jul. 14, 2013 @ 16:46 GMT
Maria,

I thought that your concise no-nonsense essay was very well written, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Joe.

Bookmark and Share

M. V. Vasilyeva wrote on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 03:22 GMT
Maria,

I very much liked your short and to the point essay. I was attracted to it by the fact that it was written by a woman -- there are very few of us participating in this traditionally male dominated discussion and I make sure to read them all. I especially value your vision, because of your high qualifications (the only other female PhD in physics this year is Jennifer Nielsen). Alas,...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 15:48 GMT
Carolyn Devereux, whose fine essay appears above this one also has a Ph.D.

Joe

Bookmark and Share

M. V. Vasilyeva replied on Jul. 17, 2013 @ 07:24 GMT
Thank you Joe! I scanned the list for names and missed her.

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 17, 2013 @ 19:25 GMT
Hello Maria,

I will be reading your essay in more detail because I suspect discrete physics is the way to go. On cellular automata, can these be the discrete units of space itself? See my essay and give me your opinion. Meanwhile...

As the contest in Wheeler's honor draws to a close, leaving for the moment considerations of rating and prize money, and knowing we cannot all agree on whether 'it' comes from 'bit' or otherwise or even what 'it' and 'bit' mean, and as we may not be able to read all essays, though we should try, I pose the following 4 simple questions and will rate you accordingly before July 31 when I will be revisiting your blog.

"If you wake up one morning and dip your hand in your pocket and 'detect' a million dollars, then on your way back from work, you dip your hand again and find that there is nothing there…

1) Have you 'elicited' an information in the latter case?

2) If you did not 'participate' by putting your 'detector' hand in your pocket, can you 'elicit' information?

3) If the information is provided by the presence of the crisp notes ('its') you found in your pocket, can the absence of the notes, being an 'immaterial source' convey information?

Finally, leaving for the moment what the terms mean and whether or not they can be discretely expressed in the way spin information is discretely expressed, e.g. by electrons

4) Can the existence/non-existence of an 'it' be a binary choice, representable by 0 and 1?"

Answers can be in binary form for brevity, i.e. YES = 1, NO = 0, e.g. 0-1-0-1.

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo replied on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 11:18 GMT
Hello Maria,

I have now read your essay. So much said in very few words.

I will be scoring you high because your essay goes to the fundamentals. You may check my essay as well since there are aspects that will interest a Monist.

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Patrick Tonin wrote on Jul. 19, 2013 @ 17:39 GMT
Dear Maria,

This is a nice essay. I particularly liked your last paragraph:

"One can argue then that information has to do with pattern recognition. We could then reverse this idea an impose rules (or laws) of interaction of the constituents of a primordial medium, so that the emergent phenomena represent reality. Like the emergence of complexity in cellular automata, reality could be the result of growing patterns produced by the evolution of an self-evolving, self-regulating computer code. However, there must be a primordial reality in which this information is being encoded."

This seems to describe what I propose in my essay. You might want to take a look at it, I would love to have your comments on it. If you like it, then you can find my complete theory here.

Patrick

Bookmark and Share

William Amos Carine wrote on Jul. 24, 2013 @ 16:54 GMT
Hi Maria,

What an exciting look at what may lie behind the veil of reality!

I recommend Leibniz "Principles of Philosophy known as Monadology" written sometime in the 1800's or later 1700's.

Good luck with the deeper, inner looking,

Amos

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales wrote on Jul. 25, 2013 @ 12:02 GMT
Maria,

I can't help but notice that you have not replied to anyone?

Nonetheless, I found your understanding of the topic intuitive and your 'emergence' analogy reflective in many ways of the findings of a recently concluded 12 year experiment I have conducted. I am please to give you a high rating. However, before I do, I would like to run some questions by you if I may via email. My email address is: msm@physicsofdestiny.com

I look forward to hearing from you and supporting your efforts before the conclusion of this competition.

Regards,

Manuel

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir F. Tamari wrote on Jul. 29, 2013 @ 01:27 GMT
Dear Maria

I enjoyed your short and sweet essay because it answered the fqxi essay question very well. At the same time it uses the paradigm of Model, of CA, of Emergence, all of which are basic aspects of my Beautiful Universe Theory also found here. In this theory the basic 'kind of stuff' is a node of energy rotating in place to create polarity in units of Planck's 'h'. Because of that I concluded in my fqxi essay The Cloud of Unknowing that It=Qubit.

With best wishes for your success.

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jul. 29, 2013 @ 15:41 GMT
Dear Maria,

Nice concise essay, which I like as it shows the author knows their subject! I think your essay is relevant and interesting. My essay examines information exchange, so hopefully you get a chance to look at it too.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Jacek Safuta wrote on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 12:56 GMT
Hi Maria,

Your essay is very interesting and well written.

Your conclusion is: “Like the emergence of complexity in cellular automata, reality could be the result of growing patterns produced by the evolution of an self-evolving, self-regulating computer code. However, there must be a primordial reality in which this information is being encoded.”

I would add something to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Aug. 5, 2013 @ 13:28 GMT
Dear Maria,

Another great essay, as I mentioned above, so my high rankings hopefully helps move you nearer to where you belong. Please have a read of my essay if you get chance, any comments would be appreciated. Though very different approach to your super essay, I can appreciate Other viewpoints, so hopefully my essay won't disappoint you!

Very best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 07:40 GMT
Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 21:35 GMT
Dear Maria,

I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest and appreciate your contribution to this competition.

I have been thoroughly impressed at the breadth, depth and quality of the ideas represented in this contest. In true academic spirit, if you have not yet reviewed my essay, I invite you to do so and leave your comments.

You can find the latest version of my essay here:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Borrill-TimeOne-
V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

May the best essays win!

Kind regards,

Paul Borrill

paul at borrill dot com

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.