Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Paul Borrill: on 8/7/13 at 19:31pm UTC, wrote Dear Ioannis and Theodor, I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 8/7/13 at 13:19pm UTC, wrote Dear Ioannis, Thank you very much for your answer! He was very pleased! I...

Cristinel Stoica: on 8/7/13 at 7:41am UTC, wrote Hi, votes are vanishing again.

ioannis hadjidakis: on 8/5/13 at 17:32pm UTC, wrote Dear Vladimir, I give you my brief replies to your questions: 1 I agree...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 8/5/13 at 15:03pm UTC, wrote Dear Ioannis, Very original essay - it sends the right way of seeking...

Antony Ryan: on 8/5/13 at 13:25pm UTC, wrote Hello again Ioannis, Please take a look at my essay if you get chance. For...

eAmazigh HANNOU: on 8/4/13 at 18:58pm UTC, wrote Dear Ioannis, We are at the end of this essay contest. In conclusion, at...

Antony Ryan: on 7/29/13 at 15:34pm UTC, wrote Hello Ioannis, Nice essay. Particularly pleased to see a Greek entry as I...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: ""all experiments have pointed towards this and there is no way to avoid..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Steve Agnew, Naturally provided VISIBLE realty am not a silly humanly..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

James Putnam: "Light bends because it is accelerating. It accelerates toward an object..." in Black Hole Photographed...

Steve Agnew: "Stringy and loop quantum are the two big contenders, but neither has a..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Robert McEachern: "Lorenzo, The nature of "information" is well understood outside of..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, Lorraine is writing about a simpler "knowing " rather than the..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Agnew: "Knowing information necessarily means neural action potentials. Atom and..." in The Nature of Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi FORUM
May 21, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: Existence is Difference and is expressed by Information by ioannis hadjidakis and theodor vidalis [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author ioannis hadjidakis wrote on Jul. 5, 2013 @ 16:14 GMT
Essay Abstract

With this work we want to give a model which expresses the “cosmos” before and after the big bang. This model describes the situation before the big bang as information and difference, without evolution, and the situation after the big bang as information interaction transfer and progress of the information.

Author Bio

I.H. Chemist, T.V. Mathematician with a Theoretical Physics background.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 5, 2013 @ 21:21 GMT
Ioannis,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Manuel S Morales wrote on Jul. 6, 2013 @ 11:48 GMT
Ioannis,

As of 7-6-13, 7:48 am EST, the rating function for your essay is not available. Sorry I can't help you out right now by rating your essay. NOTE: I have logged in using a PC and a MAC and different browsers but it appears to be a site function issue.

Manuel

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales replied on Jul. 7, 2013 @ 21:16 GMT
Ioannis,

I have sent an email requesting that FQXi extend to those of you who had their essay posted on July 5, 2013, be allowed additional days to compensate for the days of not being able to rate these essays.

My experience in conducting the online Tempt Destiny (TD) experiment from 2000 to 2012 gave me an understanding of the complexities involved in administrating an online competition which assures me that the competition will be back up and running soon. Ironically, the inability of not being able to rate the essays correlates with the TD experimental findings, as presented in my essay, which show how the acts of selection are fundamental to our physical existence.

Anyway, I hope that all entrants will be allocated the same opportunity to have their essay rated when they are posted, and if not possible due to technical difficulties, will have their opportunity adjusted accordingly. Best wishes to you with your entry.

Manuel

PS I will be reviewing and rating your entry after this function has been turned back on.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jul. 7, 2013 @ 01:57 GMT
Dear ioannis

Short but still very interesting, especially the attention to environment of you.

I appreciate your essay will be graded and the rating system continues to operate.

And to change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition along with demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author ioannis hadjidakis wrote on Jul. 8, 2013 @ 07:10 GMT
Dear readers and FQXi administrators,

This entry was introduced on 28/6/2013 (as the letter from FQXi confirms).

It was written by two authors (as the letter from FQXi confirms) but the author with the major contribution does not appear in contest's page. FQXi administrators has been informed but, so far, we received no any explanation.

We wish to all the participants the best out of this contest and we hope all dysfunctions will be fixed,

ih

Bookmark and Share

ioannis hadjidakis (narsep) wrote on Jul. 11, 2013 @ 10:18 GMT
Dear all,

Any existent appears in dual form: Real (IT) - What it is, and Virtual (BIT) - How it works.

IT is caused by "past" and causes "future" while BIT is caused by "future" and causes "past" ("past" and "future" are in accordance to real world).

Hence, future and past are included in existent' s present.

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jul. 12, 2013 @ 00:02 GMT
Dear Ioannis,

Thank you for presenting your nice essay. I saw the abstract and will post my comments soon. So you can produce matter from your thinking or from information description of that matter. . . . ?

I am requesting you to go through my essay also. And I take this opportunity to say, to come to reality and base your arguments on experimental results.

I failed...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author ioannis hadjidakis replied on Jul. 12, 2013 @ 07:35 GMT
Dear Gupta,

if you imply that no matter (IT) can be produced by information (BIT) (even by a singularity's procedure) then the whole subject of this contest is out of (your) reality. I am sure this kind of argument (based on part reading or misunderstanding) leads to nowhere and I am not going to follow. If by the way you have the answer of what the matter is and how it differs from information PLEASE let us know.

our Best

IH

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jul. 13, 2013 @ 03:01 GMT
Dear Ioannis hadjidakis,

Thank you very much for your interest in my essay and for your time spent on this essay. These are good questions. I will be putting - - - - - before your words. Next will be my answers.

- - - - -A nice essay full of experimental data. However, the resemblance to the theme of this contest seems to me rather obscure. - - - - -

Thank you very much once...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Jul. 13, 2013 @ 15:36 GMT
Thank you Ioannis,

thank you for the post.

I did not follow exactly what you mean by your words ''''''''''' According to my knowledge none experiment has ever shown the existence of matter. We only deduce its existence by the experiments just like BB.'''''''''''''

Probably you mean to say, matter is not produced in any experiment, is it not? Yes, you are correct!

and....

BB is a mathematical singularity it is not an experiment.

Best Regards

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales wrote on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 01:27 GMT
Ioannis,

I have reviewed your essay and found your belief in 'cause and effect' to be substantiated by the findings of a 12 year experiment I have recently concluded. Your closing statement, "It is time to evolve a new way of thinking." is right on the mark!

I have a couple of questions I would like to run by you if I may. If it is not too much to ask, could you let me know what your email address is? My email address is msm@physicsofdestiny.com

Thanks,

Manuel

Bookmark and Share

Author ioannis hadjidakis replied on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 10:22 GMT
Dear Manuel,

Thank you for your encouraging words. Our e-mails: T.V. (writer): tvidalis@uoi.gr , I.H.: ihatzida@cc.uoi.gr

best wishes

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 17, 2013 @ 19:37 GMT
Hello Ioannis,

As the contest in Wheeler's honor draws to a close, leaving for the moment considerations of rating and prize money, and knowing we cannot all agree on whether 'it' comes from 'bit' or otherwise or even what 'it' and 'bit' mean, and as we may not be able to read all essays, though we should try, I pose the following 4 simple questions and will rate you accordingly before July 31 when I will be revisiting your blog.

"If you wake up one morning and dip your hand in your pocket and 'detect' a million dollars, then on your way back from work, you dip your hand again and find that there is nothing there…

1) Have you 'elicited' an information in the latter case?

2) If you did not 'participate' by putting your 'detector' hand in your pocket, can you 'elicit' information?

3) If the information is provided by the presence of the crisp notes ('its') you found in your pocket, can the absence of the notes, being an 'immaterial source' convey information?

Finally, leaving for the moment what the terms mean and whether or not they can be discretely expressed in the way spin information is discretely expressed, e.g. by electrons

4) Can the existence/non-existence of an 'it' be a binary choice, representable by 0 and 1?"

Answers can be in binary form for brevity, i.e. YES = 1, NO = 0, e.g. 0-1-0-1.

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Author ioannis hadjidakis replied on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 10:03 GMT
Dear Akinbo,

First, I will be surprised of how a million dollars can be "detected" in my pocket. Second, What kind of multiple choice test is this? I certainly prefer not to bother reviewing our essay and certainly not misuse your right to rate it. However, I am not used to avoiding any challenge and so my answers are:

(1) NO; information was changed and not "elicited"' (2) NO; How information could be "elicited" by a different spacetime event? It is permanently attributed to a certain spacetime set of events. (3) NO; Do not confuse concepts by using them wrongly ("immaterial source" for a source based on materialistic evidence). (4) NO; "Non-existence is existence" of two (or 2n) entities that have a null sum of property amplitudes. Remember that you proposed to leave for the moment what the terms mean ... in other words, NO may mean YES in this case.

In case you rate our essay only by my response to this test, please let us know in order to rate yours on the same grounds.

Best wishes, I.H.

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo replied on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 11:32 GMT
Hello Ioannis,

The 4 questions I asked were not meant to offend but to focus on the theme of the contest which is whether Bit is from It or It is from Bit. You failed the test, but I will be rating your essay high. Why? Because, when you read and rate my essay, you will find that both of us agree that-

1)"The space is the dots. A dot carries the elementary information and has two possible states, “on” and “off” and that 2) Existence is the difference".

Good line of thinking.

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 06:26 GMT
Dear ioannis,

I have down loaded your essay and soon post my comments on it. Meanwhile, please, go through my essay and post your comments.

Regards and good luck in the contest,

Sreenath BN.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1827

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Jul. 19, 2013 @ 05:46 GMT
Dear Ioannis,

In your short but lucid essay you have rightly started your journey from the beginning of the universe itself and succeeded in explaining how all entities came in to existence except information and ideas as these two were present before the universe existed. It is good to see that you are giving priority to information and ideas over space, time and matter following the philosophy of great Plato and Hegel. It is true that we realize this through ‘meditation’ only as they are beyond space and time, and information and ideas serve as basics to our knowledge to form and evolve. That is why there can be no rational explanation to give a proof for their existence and priority.

You are saying that space consists of ‘dots’ and these dots carry information; do you have developed theory in this regard and what is the size/ length/ width of each dot?

When you say that “We do believe that rational beings have the ability to understand all that take place in the cosmos, because they are part of the world of the Ideas which created the universe”, you remind me of what I have said in this regard in my ‘biology’ section of my essay. You have ended your essay with the aphorism “It is time to evolve a new way of thinking”. I quite agree with this considering the current plight of physics.

Any way, you have written a brief essay with full of bright points which need to be elaborated.

Please go through my essay also (http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1827) and post your valuable comments in my thread. After posting your comments, I would like to rate your insightful essay with a very high rating.

All the best in the essay contest,

Sreenath

Bookmark and Share

Author ioannis hadjidakis wrote on Jul. 25, 2013 @ 17:51 GMT
Dear Sreenath,

Thank you for the positive words. In regard to the "dots business" you may have a look at http://vixra.org/pdf/1304.0116v1.pdf. These dots represent events or interactions (e.g. Knuth's current essay). Their size is of a Plank length's scale and they appear all the properties that a physical event may have ("mass", "spin","charge" and "time activity") (http://vixra.org/abs/1306.0226). It is the analog of "zero vacuum energy".

All are started and based on the Natural Coordination System (NCS) we introduced by our first FQXi essay contribution: http://www.fqxi.org/data/essay-contest-files/hadjidakis_Has_
the_time_com.pdf

All the best out of the essay contest,

I.H.

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N replied on Jul. 25, 2013 @ 19:06 GMT
Dear ioannis,

Thanks for your comments on my essay and also for the right analysis of the theme of my essay. I will rate your essay highly.

Best wishes,

Sreenath

Bookmark and Share

Than Tin wrote on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 05:00 GMT
Hello Ioannis

Richard Feynman in his Nobel Acceptance Speech

(http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/19
65/feynman-lecture.html)

said: “It always seems odd to me that the fundamental laws of physics, when discovered, can appear in so many different forms that are not apparently identical at first, but with a little mathematical fiddling you can show the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jul. 29, 2013 @ 15:34 GMT
Hello Ioannis,

Nice essay. Particularly pleased to see a Greek entry as I have family in Athens. Also I was delighted you started with the mention of Plato. I have a theory that partly unifies the four forces of nature and resolves the three paradoxes of cosmogony - based on the only self dual Platonic solid - the tetrahedron.

I like that you ask so many sensible questions, and what you suggest about the Universe after time expires is logical too.

My essay explores Fibonacci and Black Holes as well as entropy, and some of the main points do not contradict your work, so hopefully you can take a look.

Thanks again for an interesting piece.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

eAmazigh M. HANNOU wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 18:58 GMT
Dear Ioannis,

We are at the end of this essay contest.

In conclusion, at the question to know if Information is more fundamental than Matter, there is a good reason to answer that Matter is made of an amazing mixture of eInfo and eEnergy, at the same time.

Matter is thus eInfo made with eEnergy rather than answer it is made with eEnergy and eInfo ; because eInfo is eEnergy, and the one does not go without the other one.

eEnergy and eInfo are the two basic Principles of the eUniverse. Nothing can exist if it is not eEnergy, and any object is eInfo, and therefore eEnergy.

And consequently our eReality is eInfo made with eEnergy. And the final verdict is : eReality is virtual, and virtuality is our fundamental eReality.

Good luck to the winners,

And see you soon, with good news on this topic, and the Theory of Everything.

Amazigh H.

I rated your essay.

Please visit My essay.

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Aug. 5, 2013 @ 13:25 GMT
Hello again Ioannis,

Please take a look at my essay if you get chance. For now I will rate your essay highly with the hope you move up the rankings, as I think you deserve to for this great piece of work!

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Aug. 5, 2013 @ 15:03 GMT
Dear Ioannis,

Very original essay - it sends the right way of seeking truth. The very name of the essay is the key to understanding the nature of the information. Finally, you put the question: «Does there is a hope for us human beings to learn the truth about the lows governing the universe?» And gives the answer:

"... For the conception of the future of the universe and the new status which will occur after the end of the time, we need apart of the of the physical sciences, other methods of thinking which do not use matte, to approach the truth. "

Ratings «happy nine». I have three questions.

Constructive ways to the truth may be different. One of them said Alexander Zenkin in the article "Science counter-revolution in mathematics":

«The truth should be drawn with the help of the cognitive computer visualization technology and should be presented to" an unlimited circle "of spectators in the form of color-musical cognitive images of its immanent essence.»

http://www.ccas.ru/alexzen/papers/ng-02/contr_rev.
htm

In the russian version of a article: «The truth should be drawn and should be presented to" an unlimited circle "of spectators.»

Do you agree with Alexander Zenkin?

And the second question: How should the physics go to physical picture of the world was as rich in meaning as the picture of the world lyricists?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ho31QhjsY

Maybe matter physicists should see the soul and memory?

One last question: How much value is the concept "Logos" - Λόγος in Greek?

Please look also my essay and essay FQXi 2012 http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1796

http://www.fqxi.or
g/community/forum/topic/1362

With best wishes and regards,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author ioannis hadjidakis replied on Aug. 5, 2013 @ 17:32 GMT
Dear Vladimir,

I give you my brief replies to your questions:

1 I agree completely with Alexander Zenkin. Truth can be - and should - be drawn to the wider possible audience. 2 Lyrics is a way of expression as valuable as any other (e.g. physical picture or even physical sciences). 3 I find the search of true logos "out of reach" for the present human community that is occupied in materialistic search and prosperity. This is the only reason that science seems more useful than philosophy in our days.

Good luck, I.H.

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 13:19 GMT
Dear Ioannis,

Thank you very much for your answer! He was very pleased! I fully agree with you.

I invite you to my blog.

Best regards

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 07:41 GMT
Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 19:31 GMT
Dear Ioannis and Theodor,

I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest and appreciate your contribution to this competition.

I have been thoroughly impressed at the breadth, depth and quality of the ideas represented in this contest. In true academic spirit, if you have not yet reviewed my essay, I invite you to do so and leave your comments.

You can find the latest version of my essay here:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Borrill-TimeOne-
V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

May the best essays win!

Kind regards,

Paul Borrill

paul at borrill dot com

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.