Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Michael Helland: on 8/7/13 at 16:19pm UTC, wrote Intersting approach. I've rated it a ten ...

Cristinel Stoica: on 8/7/13 at 7:44am UTC, wrote Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Héctor Gianni: on 8/4/13 at 20:11pm UTC, wrote Dear Joachim J. Wlodarz: I am an...

eAmazigh HANNOU: on 8/4/13 at 18:52pm UTC, wrote Dear Joachim, We are at the end of this essay contest. In conclusion, at...

john selye: on 8/2/13 at 1:58am UTC, wrote Having read so many insightful essays, I am probably not the only one to...

Paul Borrill: on 7/29/13 at 21:39pm UTC, wrote Joachim, a nice self-contained essay. Some interesting ideas, tying...

Antony Ryan: on 7/25/13 at 2:25am UTC, wrote Dear Joachim, I like the idea of Generalised Bits. You explain the It from...

Akinbo Ojo: on 7/23/13 at 18:17pm UTC, wrote Dear Joachim, I know you may be so busy to read all essays including mine....

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Thinking observers are going to notice their own and the other's arms..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Georgina Woodward: "The acrobats central to the rotation of a platform, share the same type of..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Lorraine Ford: "Ian, I’m sorry for going overboard on the “physicists think that”..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

andrea gonzalez: "Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. If want to collect free gift card..." in Memory, Causality and...

Ian Durham: "Well, Lorraine, if you insist on seeing it that way, I doubt anything I say..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Poker Online: "https://www.jakartapoker.net/" in Downward causation:...

Enquire us: "Your Ro system desires regular maintenance to confirm it’s continually in..." in Agency in the Physical...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
August 24, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: It From Bit and The Unsmooth Reality by Joachim J. Wlodarz [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Joachim J. Wlodarz wrote on Jul. 2, 2013 @ 16:12 GMT
Essay Abstract

In this short essay it is argued that the "It from Bit" idea is plausible when assuming "generalized bits", resulting from the Kolmogorov superposition theorem, as universal building blocks.

Author Bio

The Author got his PhD in 1991 from the University of Silesia, Poland. He is appointed since 2003 as Senior Lecturer at the Department of Theoretical Chemistry the same Alma Mater, and works also closely with the Computer Science Group at the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 12:53 GMT
Dear Wlodarz,

Thank you for the nice crisp short essay. You concluded generalised 'Bits' are the final building blocks nicely. But all these 'bits' are staying in a computer or Human mind, how they create matter from nothing?

and...

I am requesting you to go through my essay also. And I take this opportunity to say, to come to reality and base your arguments on experimental...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Joachim J. Wlodarz replied on Jul. 4, 2013 @ 15:13 GMT
Dear Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta,

Thank you very much for reading and commenting on my essay. Indeed, the question " where the bits come from " seems to be a strong argument against the "It from Bit" idea. But at the lowest level, the bits may be all that we have, e.g., from experiment. In a sense, the bits are coming from the Unknown, so to say (cf. also my essay submitted to the FQXi 2011 contest here , although I should rather advertise my present essay in this thread :-)

Best Regards,

-Joachim.

P.S. I'll certainly read your essay, I've just downloaded it

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Jul. 8, 2013 @ 23:41 GMT
Resp sir,

Thank you for very nice and critical post on my essay. Hope my answer will satisfy your query. Please ask any further questions there.

Best

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 16:59 GMT
Dear Joachim

There are many authors who share your conclusions, so the problem still remaining is: if it is from the bit, where bit come from?

And to change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition and to demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after receiving...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Joachim J. Wlodarz replied on Jul. 4, 2013 @ 16:20 GMT
Dear Hải.Caohoàng,

Thank you very much for commenting on my essay. I personally believe that at the lowest layer it would be always something that is unknown, and it is good so.

After the invention of an Absolute Theory, no new information could be gathered,

because everything would be known, each particle, each event. Therefore, no Bit's from It's at that point.

Best Regards,

-Joachim.

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 20:01 GMT
Joachim,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Author Joachim J. Wlodarz replied on Jul. 4, 2013 @ 16:44 GMT
Hi Jim,

Indeed, reading all these essays is a Herculean task, but rewarding. It's like looking on something through somebody's eyes...

Best Regards,

-Joachim.

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Jul. 9, 2013 @ 08:00 GMT
Hello Joachim,

Very interesting, imaginative title essay and interesting ideas. They are close to me in spirit and image. Gorgeous eidoses: "The Unsmooth Reality" and "generalized bits"! Please look at my essay.

I wish you every success, Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Jul. 14, 2013 @ 08:46 GMT
Dear Joachim,

I have down loaded your essay and soon post my comments on it. Meanwhile, please, go through my essay and post your comments.

Regards and good luck in the contest,

Sreenath BN.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1827

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Jul. 21, 2013 @ 16:21 GMT
Dr. Wlodarz,

I found your concise essay focused on one point intriguing. As a decrepit old realist though, I did not quite understand this sentence: “With this “inherent unsmoothness” it is therefore enough room left for all the weird behavior observed in Nature.”

I have emphasized the importance of unique, once, in the real Universe in my essay BITTERS. Perhaps if Wheeler had only asked:

Is the real Universe simple? Yes.

Is the abstract universe simple? No

Is unique, once simple? Yes

Is the Kolmogorov superposition theorem simple? No.

I do wish you well in the contest,

Joe

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 23, 2013 @ 18:17 GMT
Dear Joachim,

I know you may be so busy to read all essays including mine. It will be enough to answer whether you consider existence/non-existence a binary choice?, in the meaning expressed in the Wheeler quote in your essay, which by the way was very nice.

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jul. 25, 2013 @ 02:25 GMT
Dear Joachim,

I like the idea of Generalised Bits. You explain the It from Bit - Bit from It problem well with entanglement and I think it reaches out well to your audience.

Indeed, it's a good point that experiment always yields Bits. I think you deserve a higher score - so hope my rating helps.

I hope you get a chance to look at my essay around simplexes, entropy and Fibonacci sequence; although different from yours I don't think it is at odds in any way, so hopefully it will be of some interest.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Jul. 29, 2013 @ 21:39 GMT
Joachim, a nice self-contained essay. Some interesting ideas, tying together Wheeler, Nyquist, Shannon and Kolmogorov.

My favorite paragraph:

“According to the Nyquist-Shannon theorem [5, 6], a fundamental result in information theory, continuous information may be converted into an equivalent discrete information by sampling, provided that the sampling rate exceeds the doubled bandlimit frequency. Such an approach to physical fields and also to the spacetime itself has been suggested awhile ago by Kempf [7, 8].”

You reminded me that if a variable is being “sampled” at a rate much lower than the underlying rate of change, then the result of the measurement will appear random. I create an analogy to a “quantum stroboscope” in my essay where I note that reality is sampled as brief flashes with long periods of darkness in between. I.e. Entangled systems are dark.

This is discussed further in my paper: http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1897

The best of luck to you in the competition.

Kind regards, Paul

Bookmark and Share

john stephan selye wrote on Aug. 2, 2013 @ 01:58 GMT
Having read so many insightful essays, I am probably not the only one to find that my views have crystallized, and that I can now move forward with growing confidence. I cannot exactly say who in the course of the competition was most inspiring - probably it was the continuous back and forth between so many of us. In this case, we should all be grateful to each other.

If I may, I'd like to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

eAmazigh M. HANNOU wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 18:52 GMT
Dear Joachim,

We are at the end of this essay contest.

In conclusion, at the question to know if Information is more fundamental than Matter, there is a good reason to answer that Matter is made of an amazing mixture of eInfo and eEnergy, at the same time.

Matter is thus eInfo made with eEnergy rather than answer it is made with eEnergy and eInfo ; because eInfo is eEnergy, and the one does not go without the other one.

eEnergy and eInfo are the two basic Principles of the eUniverse. Nothing can exist if it is not eEnergy, and any object is eInfo, and therefore eEnergy.

And consequently our eReality is eInfo made with eEnergy. And the final verdict is : eReality is virtual, and virtuality is our fundamental eReality.

Good luck to the winners,

And see you soon, with good news on this topic, and the Theory of Everything.

Amazigh H.

I rated your essay.

Please visit My essay.

Bookmark and Share

Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 20:11 GMT
Dear Joachim J. Wlodarz:

I am an old physician and I don’t know nothing of mathematics and almost nothing of physics. maybe you would be interested in my essay over a subject which after the common people, physic discipline is the one that uses more than any other, the so called “time”.

I am...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 07:44 GMT
Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Bookmark and Share

Michael Helland wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 16:19 GMT
Intersting approach.

I've rated it a ten

http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1616

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.