Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Paul Borrill: on 8/7/13 at 19:24pm UTC, wrote Dear Helmut, I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest...

Cristinel Stoica: on 8/7/13 at 7:45am UTC, wrote Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Héctor Gianni: on 8/2/13 at 22:31pm UTC, wrote DearHelmut Alfred von Schweitzer: ...

john selye: on 8/2/13 at 2:00am UTC, wrote Having read so many insightful essays, I am probably not the only one to...

Vladimir Tamari: on 7/18/13 at 1:58am UTC, wrote Dear Herr Schweitzer. Hello, and apologies if this does not apply to you. I...

Michael Popov: on 7/16/13 at 11:32am UTC, wrote Dear Helmut, I have some doubts on 'In physics everything is basically...

Joe Fisher: on 7/5/13 at 16:31pm UTC, wrote Helmut, This was a very interesting essay. Joe

James Hoover: on 7/3/13 at 19:22pm UTC, wrote Helmut, If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries,...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: ""all experiments have pointed towards this and there is no way to avoid..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Steve Agnew, Naturally provided VISIBLE realty am not a silly humanly..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

James Putnam: "Light bends because it is accelerating. It accelerates toward an object..." in Black Hole Photographed...

Steve Agnew: "Stringy and loop quantum are the two big contenders, but neither has a..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Robert McEachern: "Lorenzo, The nature of "information" is well understood outside of..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, Lorraine is writing about a simpler "knowing " rather than the..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Agnew: "Knowing information necessarily means neural action potentials. Atom and..." in The Nature of Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi FORUM
May 20, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: IT AND BIT by Helmut Alfred von Schweitzer [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Helmut Alfred von Schweitzer wrote on Jun. 30, 2013 @ 14:58 GMT
Essay Abstract

In communications IT may symbolize creativity and design. Bit may symbolize symbols and systems.IT is about human relations. BIT is about human-designed systemic structures.Combined they evolve human communications. Languages as systems reduce thoughts and feelings to oral or written communications using ranges of symbolic, commonly understood denominators or words.Dispersed human knowledge evolves optimally in an open market society. Physics evolved through widening knowledge horizons from astrology to all visible, invisible and even hypothetical objects of the vocabulary.Physics identifies matter as bi-polar balanced-energy sub-atomic structures.Nuclear energy has become the prime test of human survival. Science aims at good explanations. Neither evolution nor science predetermines the future.Theoretical physics is increasingly engaged in hypothetical contentions apart from the basic fixed context great natural laws. Physics-based technologies, like the net, mobiles, digitalization and space-travel are forcing the evolving pace. Only evolution can be an over-riding explanation.Evolution explains the universe and life as naturaly evolving through discoverable, irresversible emergence. Its future is unforeseeable. Evolutios a creating and selecting is a bi-polar force. Historically evolution has been increasingly dominated and speeded up by the evolution of life and humanity in particular.Such evolutionary energy can only be sustained through equally growing human fitness to survive and evolve. Communicability is becoming the primary medium of realizing and influencing this evolutionary thrust. Language is the primary medium of explanatory evolution. Language, as the test-bed of communications, reflects the human problems of learning and comprehending. It reflects particularly the need to find ways to express the evolutionary dynamics in more explanatory ways. Calculus and comparative statics are a beginning.Bi-polar range analysis, as explained, can become the methodological way forward for adequately explaining evolutionary problem solving.

Author Bio

Helmut Alfred von Schweitzer born 14.05.1926 in Krems, Austria, married, 5 children, British subject. B.Sc.(Econ) LSE, 1952, Carterd Certified Accountant, 1957, MBA (WBS) 1983, Certified Internal Auditor (1988), Ph. D. research: The effectiveness of management literature, since 2006. Manufacturing entrepreneur in Johannesburg SA since 1991; Executive, PG-Glass Group SA and USA, 1976-1991; Sewnior Management Control Analyst, ITT, New York, 1971-1975. From start to General Manager, John Lewis Stores, London,1949-1975. Heading voluntary Wits Business School Alumni Association, 1984- 2002. Founding Director, Institute of Internal Auditors-South Africa, 1982-1992; Honorary Life Member. International IIA Director (Orlando Florida), 1987-1993.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales wrote on Jul. 1, 2013 @ 14:25 GMT
Helmut,

I like your position you have taken with evolutionary problem solving for indeed 'knowledge' is only about what we know today. I am pleased to rate you paper on its merits and wish you well with your entry.

I believe you will find my essay relative to your interests as well and I would appreciate your review. If you wish to do so it can be found here: http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1809

Regards,

Manuel

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 2, 2013 @ 09:25 GMT
Hi Helmut,

An enjoyable essay to read, even though it is more of a literary work on evolution and language than physics. That's my opinion. Having said that I highlighted the following lines in your essay, which I found interesting:

- Science aims at good explanations.

- Nought and one by themselves are just symbols. In systematic combinations their difference makes the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir F. Tamari wrote on Jul. 2, 2013 @ 09:41 GMT
Dear Herr Schweitzer,

I enjoyed reading your essay touching on many interesting subjects. You could have entitled it "Out Of My Life and Thought" but the title was already used by Albert Schweitzer for a book I enjoyed and admired as a child!

Within the context of this contest your essay may have been off-topic, but it has undeniable value to lift our minds and spirits from engaging with the purely physical - and at a scale of 'bit and its' far beyond human experience - to look beyond our computer screens and consider our place in this world at this truly amazing period in human history and -as you put it - the evolution of evolution.

With best wishes

Vladimir Tamari

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jul. 2, 2013 @ 09:42 GMT
Dear Helmut,

You have a wide knowledge and experience. you are correct, science is not going to predict things as Astrology does.

I am requesting you to go through my essay also. And I take this opportunity to say, to come to reality and base your arguments on experimental results.

I failed mainly because I worked against the main stream. The main stream community people want...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 04:28 GMT
Dear Uncle Helmut

An issue very close to reality, I will rating after know more your particular perspective about "innovation" - than my essay.

To change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition and to demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after receiving...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 19:22 GMT
Helmut,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Jul. 5, 2013 @ 16:31 GMT
Helmut,

This was a very interesting essay.

Joe

Bookmark and Share

Michael Alexeevich Popov wrote on Jul. 16, 2013 @ 11:32 GMT
Dear Helmut,

I have some doubts on 'In physics everything is basically bi-polar energy '? As is known, Levi-Strauss, founder of French structuralism ,showed that the whole structure of primitive thought is binary as well. However, tendency to operate with binary counters in all situations in physics could be understood also as taking simplification seriously ?

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir F. Tamari wrote on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 01:58 GMT
Dear Herr Schweitzer. Hello, and apologies if this does not apply to you. I have read and rated your essay and about 50 others. If you have not read, or did not rate my essay The Cloud of Unknowing please consider doing so. With best wishes.

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

john stephan selye wrote on Aug. 2, 2013 @ 02:00 GMT
Having read so many insightful essays, I am probably not the only one to find that my views have crystallized, and that I can now move forward with growing confidence. I cannot exactly say who in the course of the competition was most inspiring - probably it was the continuous back and forth between so many of us. In this case, we should all be grateful to each other.

If I may, I'd like to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Aug. 2, 2013 @ 22:31 GMT
DearHelmut Alfred von Schweitzer:

I am an old physician and I don’t know nothing of mathematics and almost nothing of physics,

But maybe you would be interested in my essay over a subject which after the common people, physic discipline is the one that uses more than any...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 07:45 GMT
Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 19:24 GMT
Dear Helmut,

I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest and appreciate your contribution to this competition.

I have been thoroughly impressed at the breadth, depth and quality of the ideas represented in this contest. In true academic spirit, if you have not yet reviewed my essay, I invite you to do so and leave your comments.

You can find the latest version of my essay here:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Borrill-TimeOne-
V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

May the best essays win!

Kind regards,

Paul Borrill

paul at borrill dot com

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.