Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Cristinel Stoica: on 8/7/13 at 7:49am UTC, wrote Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Paul Borrill: on 8/3/13 at 23:56pm UTC, wrote Professor Kozlowski, Very interesting thought process with some nice...

Stephen Anastasi: on 7/28/13 at 5:22am UTC, wrote Hello Pr. Miroslaw I agree with you. I rated it 9, dropping a point only...

Sreenath N: on 7/26/13 at 2:00am UTC, wrote Dear prof. Miroslaw, I have down loaded your essay and soon post my...

James Hoover: on 7/3/13 at 20:01pm UTC, wrote Miroslaw, If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more...

Joe Fisher: on 7/3/13 at 17:06pm UTC, wrote Professor Kozlowski, I thought your essay was very interesting. There is...

Hoang Hai: on 7/3/13 at 3:03am UTC, wrote Dear Miroslaw It would be more valuable if you apply that formulas and...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 7/2/13 at 11:32am UTC, wrote Resp Prof Miroslaw, Thank you for developing a nice essay "diffusion model...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "Isn't symmetry simply closely related to redundancy even if physicist may..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Robert Rise: "Meet many types of women on ihookup. Some dates better than others. It is..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Steve Dufourny: "FQXI you too I need your help, come all too we have a work to do there..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol REVOLUTION SPHERISATION everywhere at all scales,REVOLUTION..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which the material change is happening, (to..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 23, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: Maimonides` discrete time-Caldirola chronon in cosmology by Miroslaw Kozlowski [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Miroslaw Kozlowski wrote on Jun. 30, 2013 @ 14:34 GMT
Essay Abstract

In this paper we present the anthropic type description of the history of the Universe. The evolution of the the radius Universe, velocity of expansion and acceleration are calculated. In addition the cosmological parameter Λ in de Sitter Universe is calculated. The agreement with the existing observational data is good. The future of the Universe is diagnosed and discussed

Author Bio

Miroslaw Kozlowski, professor emeritus Warsaw University is the author above 200 papers in cosmolohy and ultra-short laser pulses and three monographs published in USA ( Springer and others)

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jul. 2, 2013 @ 11:32 GMT
Resp Prof Miroslaw,

Thank you for developing a nice essay "diffusion model for the expansion of the Universe". I sincerely feel you should account for about 33% of the Galaxies that are coming near to SUN , which are Blue shifted Galaxies. I feel there is an estimate of 20 % are galaxies that don't show any shift. How will you account for these Galaxies? What are the measures you provided in your model for these? I hope you don't mind explaining your model in some more detail...

Best

=snp

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 03:03 GMT
Dear Miroslaw

It would be more valuable if you apply that formulas and equations in a small scale and close to reality.

To change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition and to demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after receiving the opinion of you , I...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 17:06 GMT
Professor Kozlowski,

I thought your essay was very interesting. There is one comment I would care to make about it.

You wrote, “After the work of Supernova detecting groups the consensus for the acceleration of the moving of the spacetime is established.

I do not see how a real star could collide with another real star. For one thing each real star is unique. Not only that, each real star is set at a unique distance from all other real stars. In order for a real star to collide, it would have to move away from the light it had already emitted in the opposite direction to that of the light it had already emitted. Notably, according to the National Geographic website only fuzzy images of purported fragments of a possible Supernova have ever been photographed.

I would hope that your pages of calculations are based a bit more firmly in the realm of reality.

Joe

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 20:01 GMT
Miroslaw,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 02:00 GMT
Dear prof. Miroslaw,

I have down loaded your essay and soon post my comments on it. Meanwhile, please, go through my essay and post your comments.

Regards and good luck in the contest,

Sreenath BN.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1827

Bookmark and Share

Stephen James Anastasi wrote on Jul. 28, 2013 @ 05:22 GMT
Hello Pr. Miroslaw

I agree with you. I rated it 9, dropping a point only because it is faintly off topic, but is exactly relevant to foundations. I don't understand why this is presently rating so low, especially against essays that are so non-foundational. I would have thought it should be at or near the top. On reflection, I should have rated it a 10 to make up for other members' lack of attention, but too late now.

I am keen to have you consider my essay which shows why time is, what time is, and why it can only be discrete, at least at the foundational level of the universe. My essay is necessarily a compact argument, although every claim has a strong justification (indeed, under Descartes' Method of Doubt it seems to be indubitable).

Best wishes

Stephen Anastasi.

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 23:56 GMT
Professor Kozlowski,

Very interesting thought process with some nice reminders of the properties of the physics. "fields with odd-integer spins can produce both attractive and repulsive forces; this with even-integer spins such as scalar and tensor fields produce only an attractive force”.

I remember learning this a long time ago, but forgot why this is true. Indeed, I don't think I ever got an answer from anyone on that, and it seems odd to me now. For example, are we certain that antimatter is gravitationally attracted to matter? This would seem a very difficult (but perhaps feasible) experiment to do in an accelerator.

Certainly a thought provoking argument, with calculations that land perhaps in the "zone" of feasibility. I must read this more carefully and follow up after the contest.

In the meantime, my own investigations lead me to a different conceptualization of "time atoms" as the photon traversal between two atoms. This (finite) traversal down a "one dimensional path" defines time (and the transfer of information from the emitter to the absorber). The interesting aspect of this is that if the role of emitter and absorber were now to be reversed and the photon were to return back to the original atom, would time be reversed also. Furthermore, if a photon bounces back and forth between these two atoms, would this behavior it manifest itself with the same measurements we get in Bell tests of entanglement?

Good luck in the contest, I gave you high marks for a quality idea and description.

Kind regards, Paul

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 07:49 GMT
Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.