Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Paul Borrill: on 8/7/13 at 18:56pm UTC, wrote Dear Basileios, I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the...

Cristinel Stoica: on 8/7/13 at 7:49am UTC, wrote Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Sreenath N: on 7/26/13 at 1:57am UTC, wrote Dear Basileios, I have down loaded your essay and soon post my comments on...

Georgina Woodward: on 7/26/13 at 1:40am UTC, wrote Dear Basileios, just to let you know I have read through your essay. I...

Manuel Morales: on 7/16/13 at 14:06pm UTC, wrote Basileios, What a jewel of an essay! On one hand I am confounded as to why...

Jeffrey Schmitz: on 7/12/13 at 20:33pm UTC, wrote Basileios, The theme for this round of essays is broad and your essay is...

James Hoover: on 7/3/13 at 20:09pm UTC, wrote Basileios, If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more...

Joe Fisher: on 7/3/13 at 15:34pm UTC, wrote Mr. Grispos, Your essay was utterly absorbing. It was beautifully...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "Isn't symmetry simply closely related to redundancy even if physicist may..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Robert Rise: "Meet many types of women on ihookup. Some dates better than others. It is..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Steve Dufourny: "FQXI you too I need your help, come all too we have a work to do there..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol REVOLUTION SPHERISATION everywhere at all scales,REVOLUTION..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which the material change is happening, (to..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 23, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: IT’S BIT ALL THE WAY DOWN by BASILEIOS GRISPOS [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author BASILEIOS GRISPOS wrote on Jun. 30, 2013 @ 14:34 GMT
Essay Abstract

Most religious cosmologies consider the Universe static and eternal, while Gods were embedded and acted on it, in order to make the world we live in. Cosmology is considered as a science only recently and bears notions of cosmological myths; like the universe came out of nothing. New physics, new tools and new experiments are needed in order to study this preexisting nothingness and answer what happened before Big Bang. Multiverse is the most favorite explanation among physicists. That is isolated regions in an inflationary background. These regions evolve and give rise to universes with their own parameters. The mechanism that creates each island universe remains unknown.

Author Bio

Electrical Engineer of National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) , Master in Energy Technology of Ecole Polythecnique Federal de Lausanne (EPFL), Cybernetic research (Brunel University ,London UK). Diploma in Physics of National & Kapodistrian University of Athens. PhD student in Physics. Physics research.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jul. 2, 2013 @ 12:56 GMT
Dear Grispos

Thank you for presenting a nice essay. You are correct , static universe is not the solution. And we are not able to solve the problems and observations in one universe, why are you proposing a "multiverse"?

I am requesting you to go through my essay also. And I take this opportunity to say, to come to reality and base your arguments on experimental...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 02:39 GMT
Dear BASILEIOS

A very interesting thought, especially "note 3" and "4. A bit of a story" - very simple but quite attractive.

I need to know more about your particular perspective to rating as Grading method (compared to my goal ) = 5 criteria with 2 points each : The idea actually,Similar views,Measures consistent,Conclusions detail,Applying diversity.

To change the atmosphere...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 15:34 GMT
Mr. Grispos,

Your essay was utterly absorbing. It was beautifully constructed, and the writing was exceptionally masterfully executed.

I am a decrepit old realist. The real Universe is not complex. As I have pointed out in my essay BITTERS, the real Universe is unique, once.

Let us Wheeler our two conflicting views of the Universe.

Is one real unique Universe simple? Yes

Is abstract universe complex? Yes

Why is abstract universe complex? It is not unique, once. A real light, once, is a real light, once, is a real light, once. It is not made up of untold invisible numbers of identical abstract photons that might be abstractly identically placed besides each other and may identically rest upon each other “all the way down.”

Did you not notice as you were writing it, that all of the complexity you mentioned was man-made?

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 20:09 GMT
Basileios,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Jeffrey Michael Schmitz wrote on Jul. 12, 2013 @ 20:33 GMT
Basileios,

The theme for this round of essays is broad and your essay is even broader. I like how you span from the bible to quantum mechanics. You have a nice survey of science history and show how in the past has been very right and very wrong. I had trouble finding your overall theme or thesis. You seem to show that the universe is very complex and we are just starting to understand it. If “the universe is complex at many levels” is what you are telling us, I agree.

Hope you do well,

Jeff

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales wrote on Jul. 16, 2013 @ 14:06 GMT
Basileios,

What a jewel of an essay! On one hand I am confounded as to why it has not been rated higher, yet on the other, I can understand if others who have only scanned your abstract and saw the 'GOD' word most likely would have continued on... I am glad to not have been so quick to form an opinion.

On that note, I would like to ask you some questions via email and was wondering if you would be kind enough to provide your email address or just send an email to me at: msm@physicsofdestiny.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Manuel

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 01:40 GMT
Dear Basileios,

just to let you know I have read through your essay. I like the informative history at the beginning but agree with Manuel that it may have deterred others from reading to the end where the essay becomes more physics oriented. The 'bit of a story' was a surprise and maintained my interest in reading further as I did not know what to expect next. Its an interesting collection of diverse ideas that I have enjoyed dipping into. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Regards Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 01:57 GMT
Dear Basileios,

I have down loaded your essay and soon post my comments on it. Meanwhile, please, go through my essay and post your comments.

Regards and good luck in the contest,

Sreenath BN.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1827

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 07:49 GMT
Hi, votes are vanishing again.

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 18:56 GMT
Dear Basileios,

I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest and appreciate your contribution to this competition.

I have been thoroughly impressed at the breadth, depth and quality of the ideas represented in this contest. In true academic spirit, if you have not yet reviewed my essay, I invite you to do so and leave your comments.

You can find the latest version of my essay here:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Borrill-TimeOne-
V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

May the best essays win!

Kind regards,

Paul Borrill

paul at borrill dot com

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.