Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Antony Ryan: on 8/7/13 at 22:04pm UTC, wrote Dear Chenxi, There was a bug on the site the other day, perhaps that...

Paul Borrill: on 8/7/13 at 19:04pm UTC, wrote Dear Chenxi Guo, I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the...

Chenxi Guo: on 8/7/13 at 14:21pm UTC, wrote Dear Antony It's a pity that I have no time to go throught you essay...

eAmazigh HANNOU: on 8/6/13 at 20:34pm UTC, wrote Dear Chenxi, We are at the end of this essay contest. In conclusion, at...

Antony Ryan: on 8/4/13 at 3:55am UTC, wrote Dear Chenxi, Situation resolved by FQXi now! Glad to see so many good...

Antony Ryan: on 8/3/13 at 19:42pm UTC, wrote Dear Chenxi, I've lost a lot of comments and replies on my thread and many...

Antony Ryan: on 8/3/13 at 19:42pm UTC, wrote Dear Chenxi, I agree that It can't be from Bit too! Good luck too! ...

Antony Ryan: on 8/1/13 at 9:46am UTC, wrote Dear Chenxi guo, I agree that It isn't likely to come from Bit too, that's...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

Michael Hussey: "it is really difficult to understand what is all about all the things..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Stefan Weckbach: "I have a problem with the notion of time in the multiverse scenario that..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Agnew: "It is interesting that you bring up change in the context of free..." in Cosmological Koans

Roger Granet: "By the way, this post was from Roger." in First Things First: The...

david john: "https://www.google.com google.com/ google.com/" in Black Hole Photographed...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Lorraine Ford: "Physics has failed to explain change: physics tries to claim that change is..." in Cosmological Koans

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
July 17, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: The concept of matter by chenxi guo [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Chenxi Guo wrote on Jun. 21, 2013 @ 15:50 GMT
Essay Abstract

The concept of matter is examined in plain nature-views; emphasize the identity of mass and energy; the intrinsic property of matter is electromagnetics; and the principle of constancy of light velocity is ubiquitous. For the above understanding of matter, reconsider the concept of force, hereby consolidate the fundamental relations between energy, inertial mass and gravitational mass, force, and momentum in mechanics.

Author Bio

In 1983 graduated from the Institute of mining and metallurgy , physical metallurgy specialty.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Jun. 22, 2013 @ 14:51 GMT
Guo,

I thought your essay was very well written. I was especially struck by the profundity of your fine statement: “That is to say, the physical world is eternal, by now state can be inferred from the past that is the case, the future will continue to be so.”

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jun. 23, 2013 @ 00:57 GMT
Thank you very much.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 22, 2013 @ 19:34 GMT
Dear chenxi guo

Unfortunately, your essay is too large for automatic translation capabilities of my computer.

nonetheless wish you success

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1802

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales replied on Jun. 26, 2013 @ 14:01 GMT
Chenix,

Please note, Hoang has been saying the 'exact' same thing to everyone else. Enough said...

Manuel

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Jun. 24, 2013 @ 20:30 GMT
Chengxi Guo,

I very much like your essay about matter and agree that 'energy' can be substituted for mass without much changing the meaning, i.e., "the essence of the substance is energy". In a related statement, you note that "gravity is not only related to mass, [it] is also associated with the motion of objects." In my essay I focus strongly on this gravito-magnetic aspect of gravity. As you conclude, "gravity provides motivities for the evolution of the universe." That is the specific focus of my essay, which I invite you to read and comment on.

A very nice statement: "matter is a representation of its own energy..."

I was also interested in your analysis of "force". James Putnam, another FQXi participant, has taken an interesting approach. He has redefined force as a dimensionless quantity by defining mass as inverse acceleration. I played around with this and find it to be an interesting concept. I recommend it for your consideration.

Good luck in the contest,

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jun. 27, 2013 @ 09:03 GMT
Edwin Eugene Klingman:

Very glad to receive your cooments! I have download you essay, and will read

carefully.

And also, thank you recommendation, I think it helpfull.

Best reguard

Guo Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jul. 9, 2013 @ 09:30 GMT
Edwin Eugene Klingman:

Please forgive my reply just now. I took time to read your article.I agree with your statements: Yet conjectured strings, branes, axions, anyons, super-symmetry, multiple dimensions and universes have only imagined reality. Not so gravity.

I think that gravitation is the cohesion property of matter, it cannot be derived from other theories. What we can do is to depict it in any language you like, that’s it. It’s the nature.

Good Lucks

Guo Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

Vijay Mohan Gupta wrote on Jun. 26, 2013 @ 18:51 GMT
Chengxi Guo,

I read this essay as an attempt by an engineer to make sense out of what modern physists talks. Being an engineer myself, I have also tried to make sense of many interpertation of observations by scientists.

You are invite to have a look '5-dimensional universe' in last years competition.

Vijay Gupta

Proponent Unary Law (Space Contains Knergy)

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jul. 22, 2013 @ 06:54 GMT
Thanks, Vijay Mohan Gupta. I've download your essay, and will look.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 27, 2013 @ 04:52 GMT
Send to all of you

THE ADDITIONAL ARTICLES AND A SMALL TEST FOR MUTUAL BENEFIT

To change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition and to demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after receiving the opinion of you , I will add a reply to you :

1 . THE...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jun. 28, 2013 @ 01:41 GMT
Dear

Thank you for presenting your nice essay. I saw the abstract and will post my comments soon.

So you can produce material from your thinking. . . .

I am requesting you to go through my essay also. And I take this opportunity to say, to come to reality and base your arguments on experimental results.

I failed mainly because I worked against the main stream. The...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jul. 22, 2013 @ 06:51 GMT
Thanks Gupta.

I've read your paper on CMB.You have done very important work.

"No Dark matter, No dark energy, No Bigbang. No Creation of matter from empty space."

"Information describes the Universe. Universe is materialistic."

Yes,I agree with you.

Best wishes

Guo Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 18:52 GMT
Chenxi,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jul. 22, 2013 @ 07:04 GMT
Thanks Jim.

It's interesting. I ike to read “It’s good to be the king”

Best wishes

Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jul. 19, 2013 @ 11:20 GMT
Dear chenxi guo,

Einstein was trying to unify gravity and electromagnetism too, so I think you are asking very fundamental and relevant questions here! I found your approach very interesting as I also have a theory that partly unifies the four forces of nature and resolves the three paradoxes of cosmogony.

Did you conclude Bit or It more fundamental? Either way top marks from me!

Thoroughly enjoyed your work!

Noticing Bertrand Russell in the references is always a welcomed addition too!

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jul. 22, 2013 @ 07:32 GMT
Dear Antony

Thanks for share your opinions here.

I think "it can't be from bit". It is more fundamental. Bit or information can only be from reality. But the formation of informaton are depend on the object we described and the method we used by.

Good luck

Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan replied on Aug. 1, 2013 @ 09:46 GMT
Dear Chenxi guo,

I agree that It isn't likely to come from Bit too, that's partly why I rated you so highly.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 19:42 GMT
Dear Chenxi,

I agree that It can't be from Bit too!

Good luck too!

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo wrote on Jul. 23, 2013 @ 08:19 GMT
The Main Point of this essay:

1. Emphasize the identity of mass and energy, the intrinsic property of matter is electromagnetic. E=mc^2 can be regarded as a definition of mass and energy relation.

2. The principle of constancy of light velocity is ubiquitous, ie: c = const. Thus we have energy of a moving object is

3.Eo=E cosθ . That means the energy in perpendicular to the moving direction remains unchanged. (See Fig.1)

4.Give force definition as: force is the amount of the energy changes dE with displacement ds in space, i.e.: F=dE/ds

5.From above, we can deduce other fundamental physical principles.

6.Thus, Newtons' law and relativity are unified in clearly physical meanings.

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Jul. 23, 2013 @ 17:52 GMT
Dear Chenxi,

It was a pleasure to read your essay, I found it well grounded well founded and well written. I also happen to agree all your propositions, including c as ubiquitous, but I must ask you a question of something you didn't define; If speed is only a relative concept, what is that constant speed c relative to?

I don't blame you for avoiding that minefield, but suggest a better answer emerges with enough thought of the excellent and commendable type you're applying.

I agree substance is energy, and particularly liked your 3 characteristics of energy; Spatial, Additivity, and Cohesion, though I might add Motion. That there can be no energy, so no matter without motion. Would you agree?

So now we only have to return again ask; Motion with respect to what?!

Your Eo=E cos theta also made me think. I've taken a rather similar 'realist' and mechanistic approach to you, and used Malus' Law to show it's apparent power to resolve the EPR paradox without needing to exceed c! Energy of each of an entangled pair varies by the cos of the orientation with the polariser and detector field (as does charge time delay). I think this may be related and even more important than we think. I hope you'll read and like my essay. It also challenges a few old assumptions to build an empirically based ontology.

Well done and thank you for a refreshing dose of intelligent realism worth a top score. I also wish you much luck.

Very best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jul. 25, 2013 @ 03:09 GMT
Dear Peter

I'm very pleased to receive your comments. "no matter without motion", yes, I agree that it is a basic characteristics of matter.

An eccelant question: "Motion with respect to what?" I avoided this minefield becouse I have realised it is a very important and at the same time is difficult to explain properly in this essay. I hope I will make another paper to complete this task.

I've download your essay, and will go through.

Best Regards

Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Jul. 24, 2013 @ 05:49 GMT
Dear Chenxi,

I have down loaded your essay and soon post my comments on it. Meanwhile, please, go through my essay and post your comments.

Regards and good luck in the contest,

Sreenath BN.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1827

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 03:10 GMT
Dear Sreenath

I have read your essay, elegant, it deserves a good rating.

Best regard and good luck

Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N replied on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 03:15 GMT
Dear Chenxi,

Thanks for appreciating my essay. I will go through your essay and post my comments on it in your thread shortly and rate it highly.

Best regards,

Sreenath

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 25, 2013 @ 19:50 GMT
Dear Chenxi,

Very nice essay. Address many fundamental issues and deserve a good rating. If you have the time check my essay here and see if you like it. If you don't tell me how I can improve it.

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 03:17 GMT
Dear Akinbo

Thans for your rating. I've download your essay, will go through it and make a comment.

Best regards and good luck

Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

Than Tin wrote on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 03:27 GMT
Hello Chenxi

Richard Feynman in his Nobel Acceptance Speech

(http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/19
65/feynman-lecture.html)

said: “It always seems odd to me that the fundamental laws of physics, when discovered, can appear in so many different forms that are not apparently identical at first, but with a little mathematical fiddling you can show the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Jul. 27, 2013 @ 02:45 GMT
Hello Than

Thanks for giving me a very useful comment. I think it deserve me take time to go through, and your essay too, I've download.

Best wishes

Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 07:33 GMT
Dear Guo Chenxi,

You have nicely derived Newtonian physics on the basis of relativistic considerations of the electro-magnetic properties of matter. The method employed is elegant and the math is simple enough to understand by anybody. Thanks for writing such a complex subject in an easily graspable manner.

Your essay also needs a very high rating of above 8 and for that I need your response from you in my thread.

Best regards,

Sreenath

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 19:42 GMT
Dear Chenxi,

I've lost a lot of comments and replies on my thread and many other threads I have commented on over the last few days. This has been a lot of work and I feel like it has been a waste of time and energy. Seems to have happened to others too - if not all.

I WILL ATTEMPT to revisit all threads to check and re-post something. Your thread was one affected by this.

I can't remember the full extent of what I said, but I have notes so know that I rated it very highly.

Hopefully the posts will be able to be retrieved by FQXi.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan replied on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 03:55 GMT
Dear Chenxi,

Situation resolved by FQXi now!

Glad to see so many good comments on your thread. Please take a look at my essay if you get time.

Kind regards,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Author Chenxi Guo replied on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 14:21 GMT
Dear Antony

It's a pity that I have no time to go throught you essay before the deadline of rating.

I didn't see why the essay cannot be download, is it because rating is over?

if so, Please send me email or the othen way to get your essay.

Thanks for your comments.

Best wishes

Guo Chenxi

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan replied on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 22:04 GMT
Dear Chenxi,

There was a bug on the site the other day, perhaps that caused it. It seems to be working fine now though.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

eAmazigh M. HANNOU wrote on Aug. 6, 2013 @ 20:34 GMT
Dear Chenxi,

We are at the end of this essay contest.

In conclusion, at the question to know if Information is more fundamental than Matter, there is a good reason to answer that Matter is made of an amazing mixture of eInfo and eEnergy, at the same time.

Matter is thus eInfo made with eEnergy rather than answer it is made with eEnergy and eInfo ; because eInfo is eEnergy, and the one does not go without the other one.

eEnergy and eInfo are the two basic Principles of the eUniverse. Nothing can exist if it is not eEnergy, and any object is eInfo, and therefore eEnergy.

And consequently our eReality is eInfo made with eEnergy. And the final verdict is : eReality is virtual, and virtuality is our fundamental eReality.

Good luck to the winners,

And see you soon, with good news on this topic, and the Theory of Everything.

Amazigh H.

I rated your essay.

Please visit My essay.

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 19:04 GMT
Dear Chenxi Guo,

I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest and appreciate your contribution to this competition.

I have been thoroughly impressed at the breadth, depth and quality of the ideas represented in this contest. In true academic spirit, if you have not yet reviewed my essay, I invite you to do so and leave your comments.

You can find the latest version of my essay here:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Borrill-TimeOne-
V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

May the best essays win!

Kind regards,

Paul Borrill

paul at borrill dot com

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.