Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

David Levan: on 8/7/13 at 9:34am UTC, wrote Best of Luck for the Magnificent Eight ! I am throught the 180 essays, all...

Paul Borrill: on 8/6/13 at 21:19pm UTC, wrote John Maguire John - excellent essay, loved how you brought in...

Anonymous: on 8/4/13 at 11:24am UTC, wrote Hello John from Margriet O'Regan from DownUnder - This essay competition is...

Peter Jackson: on 7/31/13 at 11:29am UTC, wrote John, Thanks. My 2011 essay describes a unique resolution how the only...

Than Tin: on 7/26/13 at 5:03am UTC, wrote John Richard Feynman in his Nobel Acceptance Speech ...

Ken Seto: on 7/23/13 at 21:11pm UTC, wrote John, I enjoy your essay and I gave it very high rating. I agree with...

john selye: on 7/22/13 at 14:59pm UTC, wrote Hello John - I was particularly interested in your inclusion of life and...

John Maguire: on 7/19/13 at 13:45pm UTC, wrote Akinbo, Thank you for the comment. I just happened to finish your essay...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jorma Seppaenen: "I find this very interesting topic. I am just a amateur enthusiast of..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Michael Jordan: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Anonymous: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Constructing a Theory of...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Hanvi jobs: "Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Robert McEachern: ""all experiments have pointed towards this and there is no way to avoid..." in Review of "Foundations of...

James Putnam: "Light bends because it is accelerating. It accelerates toward an object..." in Black Hole Photographed...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, Lorraine is writing about a simpler "knowing " rather than the..." in The Nature of Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi FORUM
May 23, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: The In-Formed Universe by John C Maguire [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author John C Maguire wrote on Jun. 10, 2013 @ 16:40 GMT
Essay Abstract

The difficulty of accounting for ubiquitous, coherent order in a Universe considered by many to be ruled by random, entropic decay cannot be understated. Can the evident complexity found throughout our finely tuned Cosmos simply be the byproduct of aimless, uninformed interactions between inert substances leftover from the Big Bang? Likewise can the complex emergence/evolution of biological life on Earth be explained by similar dynamics if augmented by genetic mutation and natural selection? I will argue that this overly positivist/reductionist ontology does not hold for an orderly Universe underwritten by linear, irreversible time (as defined by Prigogine). If the Universe is no older than 15 billion years, without Information-guided process the natural order as we know it could not and would not exist; only non-discernible chaos and endless episodes of error catastrophe would persist. Information therefore plays an essential role in underwriting the emergence of coherence and self-organizing process. The genesis of looping, autocatalytic feedback networks that give rise to order can be traced back to the accumulation of a ‘Universal Systemic Memory’. It is postulated that systemic memory/information can be stored dynamically within A) The vibratory spectrum of substances themselves, and B) The highly ordered wave-structure of the quantum vacuum. Universal, Information-driven process/evolution appears to be the rule and not the exception.

Author Bio

John was born and raised in Upstate New York. A self-proclaimed Natural Philosopher and autodidact, he attained his undergraduate degree in History Education in 2007. Believing truth and authenticity are the only things worth pursuing, most of his days revolve around such aims.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Lev Goldfarb wrote on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 00:47 GMT
Hi John,

Welcome to the contest!

I just glanced through your essay and wanted to tell you that overall you should find my essay quite congenial to yours.

Best wishes to you!

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author John C Maguire replied on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 02:47 GMT
Lev,

Thank you for drawing my attention to the congruities in our submissions. I read your essay and really enjoyed it. While they certainly branch off in different directions, our core message is quite similar (though you certainly approach it from what I'd consider a more sophisticated perspective).

If you get the opportunity to read mine through do let me know what you think and pose any question(s) you deem relevant. Take care!

Bookmark and Share

Jacek Safuta wrote on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 16:38 GMT
Hi John,

We have got a lot in common (esp. in the area of self-organized critical systems that naturally evolve without fine tuning to critical states) but I would like to get some clarification of your concept and to propose some modifications.

“I assert here that while a critical density of diversity is certainly a key-component in the spontaneous emergence of self-organization, a critical density of Information is also required.” Could you explain what is the difference between diversity and Information?

“As we now know even at absolute-zero Kelvin all known particles (as well as the bonds between them) within a quantum lattice continue to vibrate/oscillate and exchange Information about their states.” The problem is that we cannot know because we are not able to reach absolute-zero Kelvin. We are close to but we cannot get it.

“the wave-signals going between TF (A) and TF (B) are propagating through the medium of space, interfering with one another, and therefore embedding their Information into the ‘quantum foam’ of the vacuum.” What are the waves made of and what is the vacuum? My proposal is that the vacuum is the conformally flat spacetime having elastic properties and the waves are deformations of the spacetime. Than Information can be stored within the spacetime. Then the quantum foam is just a wave-interference. If the quantum vacuum is the same as the conformally flat spacetime than it is absolutely highly ordered.

Your Bohm’s citation’s emphasis: “the effect of the quantum field depends only on the form and not the intensity” For me it means that the geometry (form) is the key. Information and substance are the same thing i.e. spacetime deformations (wavepackests) evolving in time and interacting as self-organized critical system. I have just applied the theory of Darwinism beyond its original sphere of organic evolution on Earth. More details in my essay and references.

Best regards

Bookmark and Share

Author John C Maguire replied on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 18:23 GMT
1)"Critical Diversity vs. Critical Information": Fair question. Within the context of my essay it goes without saying that Diversity would not exist without Information; so in a sense Diversity is comprised of Information (which would make my claim seem circular/redundant at first glance). However, when a diversity of physical substances comes together there is also an Information exchange between...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Jacek Safuta replied on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 11:01 GMT
Dear John,

The points 1), 3) and 4) are controversial and we probably will not agree but 2) is not controversial and needs an urgent clarification.

You have cited a piece of the abstract (out of context) that possibly guides to a misconception.

Inside the paper you have cited http://www.mpg.de/6776082/negative_absolute_temperature

the physicist explains: “The inverted Boltzmann distribution is the hallmark of negative absolute temperature; and this is what we have achieved,” says Ulrich Schneider. “Yet the gas is not colder than zero kelvin, but hotter”

In the wikipedia article in turn that you have cited you can find also some later explanation:

“As a scientific concept, the existence of zero-point energy is not controversial although the ability to harness it is. Over the years, there have been numerous claims of devices capable of extracting usable zero-point energy. None of the claims have ever been confirmed by the scientific community at large, and most of these claims are dismissed either by default, after third party inspection of such a device or based on disbelief in the viability of a technical design and theoretical corroboration. Current claims to zero-point-energy-based power generation systems are considered pseudoscience by the scientific community at large.”

Best regards

Bookmark and Share

Author John C Maguire replied on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 12:25 GMT
Jacek,

I'm not proposing anything about 'tapping' 'zero-point energy'; my claims about matter's interaction w/ the zero-point ground state of the quantum vacuum is not in the slightest bit controversial within the scientific community. Not sure what your posting about 'free energy' devices was meant to insinuate/accomplish. The Casmir Effect and Lamb Shift are both widely considered to be byproducts of ZPGS interaction. Also Heisenberg Uncertainty demands jitter-motion even at a hypothetical absolute zero; so whether we've 'really gotten there' experimentally is somewhat beside, unless you want to argue that Heisenberg Uncertainty is fallacious.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/56170/
absolute-zero-and-heisenberg-uncertainty-principle

Thank you again for engaging me on these topics, I really appreciate the discussion. Do not hesitate to keep posting.

Best,

John

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 12:22 GMT
Hello, dear John!

Wonderful essay and profound ideas! Our views are very close, especially with regard to mainstreaming the category "memory" in the Universe: Your idea of «Recurrent Systemic Memory (RSM)» and my «Ontological Memory (structural)". Great idea - 'Information-Potential' to all levels of reality. Of course, the competition FQXi - is primarily a competition for new ideas! Good luck in the contest! Regards, Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author John C Maguire replied on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 13:05 GMT
Vlad,

Thank you so much for that glowing endorsement. I read your essay as well and really like your overall presentation and term 'OntoMemory'; definitely similar to RSM (unfortunately not my invention). I noticed something interesting in your paper:

"As a result it was determined that the structure of language as a “house of Being” is “linear-wave-vortex”."

Now let me quote you something from a paper by acoustical engineer Richard Merrick:

"While analyzing large libraries of electronic documents in a search engine I was working on (ironically named DARWIN for DAta Retrieval With INtelligence), my engineering team found that the frequency of word occurrences would always

sort into a Poisson distribution. We found this to be true regardless

of language or subject matter – even computer languages fit into

the curve. It was just after this that it finally dawned on me that

anything I or anyone else ever said or thought would always fall

into this universal harmonic pattern after a minute or two, as long

as it was semantically coherent."

http://interferencetheory.com/HarmonicTheory/Harmo
nicEvolution/page8.html

All the best,

John

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jun. 14, 2013 @ 00:39 GMT
John,

I'd just like to congratulate you on a very interesting approach to your essay. I could almost imagine it being narrated on television. It already looks like an article fit to be published. There was a nice balance of illustration, quotes and left the reader unable to stop. Thanks again for commenting on my essay.

Well done!

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Author John C Maguire replied on Jun. 14, 2013 @ 02:09 GMT
I'm tremendously flattered by your compliments and likely undeserving of such praise; but thank you all the same and all the best to you Antony.

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan replied on Jun. 14, 2013 @ 04:04 GMT
Hi John,

Well deserved, and I meant to say earlier - thanks for your comments.

All the best,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Henry H. Lindner wrote on Jun. 16, 2013 @ 11:10 GMT
John,

A definition of information practically requires a theory of everything--from what exists, to how it evolves to produce humans and their minds. Information and meaning are terms that refer specifically to aspects of our mental functioning, of our linguistic representational system. They are not inherent in lower levels of Cosmic organization--but something analogous to them is....

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author John C Maguire replied on Jun. 16, 2013 @ 15:23 GMT
Henry,

I agree with you on almost everything. While I emphasized Bit over It in my essay, you'll notice that at the end I made sure to bring up Bohm's quote about how a complete view of reality cannot be grasped without gaining a balance between the two. Balance, harmony, that is what our world and our modalities of thinking are missing. When we get too esoteric, or too concrete, we shut ourselves off from important/defining components of reality that give us an inaccurate assessment.

Again to revive Dirac, we can't really know anything until a true understanding of the "vacuum" is complete, and the current Standard Model conception of the mathematically convenient gauge-fields, bosons, etc, will not get us to where we need to be.

All the best,

John

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Jun. 17, 2013 @ 12:34 GMT
John,

A quite brilliant essay, thank you. I certainly agreed 7 months not seconds in advance with each point, though much was new and important to me. You'll see why if you read my essay. You describe my 'IQbit' far better than I could! I then test what's also your theorem, and suggest a solution to the EPR paradox from the vast information store in the (3D) wave structure not parametrised...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author John C Maguire replied on Jun. 17, 2013 @ 13:50 GMT
Peter,

I'm glad the essay resonated with you; your graciousness fills me with a tremendous amount of pride. I'm excited someone w/ a rich technical background such as yourself sees the value in a not so technical paper such as mine.

"I also commend you bravery for implying an equivalent to an ether frame."

You were right to pick up on that even though I wasn't trying to emphasize it in fear of detracting from the main thesis. I think revolutionary progress lies in reemphasizing what dielectric free space is truly composed of at base level and what its dynamics are that give character to the world around us. Similar to what Henry Lindner has proposed in his essay on 'Flow Space'. While Funaro does not abandon SR/GR in any way (including frames of reference from what I can tell from his writings), he reconciles it with the EM Quantum-Vacuum beautifully (i.e. to allow for EM vortex-particles, etc.), and I think the charge continuum model he puts forth is extremely interesting and worth exploring as our knowledge/curiosity evolves.

I will most assuredly get around to reading your paper today; I will do my best to pose an intelligible question or two. All the best and take care.

John

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson replied on Jul. 31, 2013 @ 11:29 GMT
John,

Thanks. My 2011 essay describes a unique resolution how the only disqualification to a background frame is kinetically removed, by removing the 'absolute' quality without removing local backgrounds. (Expanded on in 2012). There are implications to rationalise Maxwell's equations without 'partial time derivatives' and finally recovering Snell's Law.

Applying some scores now and still agree a top one due for yours.

Best of luck.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 20, 2013 @ 18:57 GMT
Dear John

Very interesting to read, 5 points for you - in the way Grading method (compared to my goal ) = 5 criteria with 2 points each : The idea actually,Similar views,Measures consistent,Conclusions detail,Applying diversity.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1802

Bookmark and Share

Author John C Maguire replied on Jun. 20, 2013 @ 23:12 GMT
Thank you for your positive words Hoang. I have read your essay but not had a chance to comment/rate it; I liked it as well and promise to get around to that later. BTW are you sure the vote went through? Still on 9 community. Take care.

John

Bookmark and Share

Zoran Mijatovic wrote on Jun. 21, 2013 @ 00:17 GMT
Hello John.

Thank you again for reading my essay, I hope the following helps you.

Every unresolved argument in physics points to something missing, and every unresolved argument in philosophy bring us to the same thing, but in philosophy we see that thing as two things. René Descartes put it best when he said that anything that can be imagined accurately and perfectly must not only...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author John C Maguire replied on Jun. 21, 2013 @ 00:28 GMT
Thanks Zoran. I'm glad this contest allows for an open dialogue about the philosophical/ideological underpinnings of science; as it is too often disassociated w/ its own sociology and therefore both scientists and the general public lose much insight into how/why new ideas/methodologies come into vogue, etc.

Good insights overall as usual.

Regards,

John

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 27, 2013 @ 04:30 GMT
Send to all of you

THE ADDITIONAL ARTICLES AND A SMALL TEST FOR MUTUAL BENEFIT

To change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition and to demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after receiving the opinion of you , I will add a reply to you :

1 . THE...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jun. 28, 2013 @ 02:12 GMT
Dear

Thank you for presenting your nice essay. I saw the abstract and will post my comments soon.

So you can produce material from your thinking. . . .

I am requesting you to go through my essay also. And I take this opportunity to say, to come to reality and base your arguments on experimental results.

I failed mainly because I worked against the main stream. The...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 18:55 GMT
John,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 13, 2013 @ 13:59 GMT
Hello John,

Notwithstanding my reductionist ontology sentiments I must congratulate you on a good essay. There are a number of well-thought out ideas.

However, there are also areas where mind and consciousness are given roles to play which I find hard to swallow.

The parts I like is where you suggest that information can be embedded into the 'quantum foam', even though how this can be implemented is still unclear. I love that part. If you take a look at my essay I portray some initial steps how this can be implemented. You may disagree with how I suggest this information storage can be done, but tell me why?

Lastly, is 'existence' an information?

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Author John C Maguire replied on Jul. 19, 2013 @ 13:45 GMT
Akinbo,

Thank you for the comment. I just happened to finish your essay and really enjoyed it as well; will provide further feedback in the near future. Also nice to see you are in contact w/ Mr. Davies as he is a very well measured scientist/mathematician in my opinion.

While I appreciate your opinion on the role of Mind/Consciousness, I believe it is inevitable that it must enter...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

john stephan selye wrote on Jul. 22, 2013 @ 14:59 GMT
Hello John -

I was particularly interested in your inclusion of life and evolution in the structure of the Cosmos, and linking this to information as you do is also intriguing.

I myself describe a cosmic paradigm of correlated energy vortices that include the evolving observer while describing a quantum/classical world correlation. The evolving observer, I show, is the missing link in many of our quests. I think it is this that impels Physics' expansion into Bio- and Neuro-Physics.

We are continually realizing that the Cosmos is fine-tuned to develop life.

You might be interested to see how I treat this argument, and - like you, I believe - expand the definitions of It and Bit far beyond those signified by Wheeler. I'm sure you'll find the resulting structure useful.

I totally empathize with your point of view, and have rated essay; I hope you will find much to cheer you in mine!

All the best in the competition,

John.

Bookmark and Share

Ken Hon Seto wrote on Jul. 23, 2013 @ 21:11 GMT
John,

I enjoy your essay and I gave it very high rating.

I agree with your notion that the universe is not the byproduct of aimless, uninformed interactions between inert substances leftover from the Big Bang. Your "Universal Systemic Memory" can be the result of an orderly and controlled absolute motions of particles moving in the E-Matrix.

Good luck with your entry.

Regards,

Ken

Bookmark and Share

Than Tin wrote on Jul. 26, 2013 @ 05:03 GMT
John

Richard Feynman in his Nobel Acceptance Speech

(http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/19
65/feynman-lecture.html)

said: “It always seems odd to me that the fundamental laws of physics, when discovered, can appear in so many different forms that are not apparently identical at first, but with a little mathematical fiddling you can show the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 11:24 GMT
Hello John from Margriet O'Regan from DownUnder - This essay competition is so cool !! one of the many reasons being that we contestants can discuss each other's work & clarify our own !! How cool is that - I'm blown away.

In my own essay I claim to have discovered 'information's' true identity which is : 'the full set of geometric objects otherwise quite properly & quite really...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 6, 2013 @ 21:19 GMT
John Maguire

John - excellent essay, loved how you brought in self-organization to the debate on information. I too enjoy Stuart Kauffman’s work. The conversation with David Bohm at the end was very thought provoking.

Let me know if the insight expressed by subtime in my essay is useful to your framework of thinking about self-organization:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Bor
rill-TimeOne-V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

Kind regards, Paul

Bookmark and Share

David Levan wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 09:34 GMT
Best of Luck for the Magnificent Eight !

I am throught the 180 essays, all rated. For me 2/3 of them were poor and other 1/6 curious. The rest (1/6) have I rated over 4/10.

You are among the authors of the top essays from my sight - alphabetically :

Corda, D'Ariano, Maguire, Rogozhin, Singleton, Sreenath, Vaid, Vishwakarma,

and I hope one of you will be the winner. (Please, don't rate my essay.)

David

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.