Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Raymond Law: on 8/8/13 at 10:53am UTC, wrote Dear Paul, I would do just that and thanks for your heads-up. Regards, ...

Raymond Law: on 8/8/13 at 10:50am UTC, wrote Richard, Thanks for your comment ; I want to take a good looking into...

Paul Borrill: on 8/7/13 at 21:55pm UTC, wrote Dear Raymond, I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the...

Richard Kingsley-Nixey: on 8/7/13 at 14:16pm UTC, wrote Raymond, Nice essay. Not the run of the mill stuff. Deserves a higher...

Raymond Law: on 8/5/13 at 10:50am UTC, wrote Peter, Thanks to all 3 postings. Messages are acknowledged and wishing you...

Raymond Law: on 8/5/13 at 10:45am UTC, wrote Amazigh, Thanks for your heads-up and I shall read your essay ASAP ! ...

Peter Jackson: on 8/4/13 at 21:03pm UTC, wrote Raymond, Apologies, now suffering information overload, I see you did do...

Peter Jackson: on 8/4/13 at 20:56pm UTC, wrote Raymond, Apologies, now suffering information overload, I see you did do...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "Isn't symmetry simply closely related to redundancy even if physicist may..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Robert Rise: "Meet many types of women on ihookup. Some dates better than others. It is..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Steve Dufourny: "FQXI you too I need your help, come all too we have a work to do there..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol REVOLUTION SPHERISATION everywhere at all scales,REVOLUTION..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which the material change is happening, (to..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 23, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: The Coming and Going of the Galactic Contents by Raymond Law [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Raymond Law wrote on May. 10, 2013 @ 17:18 GMT
Essay Abstract

The most pondered questions --- where did it all began and how would it ends. Well, I am writing my attached thinking on this topic with a grain of philosophical perspective on the whole thing !

Author Bio

Multi-discipline, self-taught private macro-events' observer and thinker, seeking direction in resolving unnoticed and unresolved problems on all mankind.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on May. 13, 2013 @ 13:51 GMT
Raymond,

I quite enjoyed reading your essay. It had a nice quiet aura of relaxing reverie about it that contrasted very well with some of the more strident incomprehensible efforts that have been posted on this site.

As I have conspicuously pointed out in my essay BITTERS, one real Universe can only be absolutely occurring once. Your postulated abstract Universe that has subjective descriptive coming entrances and going exits seems more reminiscent to me of the New York Rapid Transit Subway system than it does of a multi-galaxy occupied Universe.

Coming is not an absolute. Going is not an absolute. Expanding is not an absolute.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Raymond Law replied on May. 14, 2013 @ 11:54 GMT
Joe,

Thanks for your non-absolute idea that has never occurred to me. It would be a nice improvement to my ' Coming and Going ' perspective. Keep them good thoughts coming !

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 17, 2013 @ 05:28 GMT
Dear Raymond

So glad you also think so Philosophy is the primarily measures to explain for every problem.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1802

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 27, 2013 @ 03:56 GMT
Send to all of you

THE ADDITIONAL ARTICLES AND A SMALL TEST FOR MUTUAL BENEFIT

To change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition and to demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after receiving the opinion of you , I will add a reply to you :

1 . THE...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law replied on Jul. 10, 2013 @ 11:20 GMT
Hi, Hai,

Acknowledged with thanks !

Best wishes,

Raymond

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 20:05 GMT
Raymond,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law replied on Jul. 10, 2013 @ 11:46 GMT
Jim,

Have you got around to take a look at the " Yin and Yang " theory ? You might find some directions in that theory.

Good luck and best wishes,

Raymond

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Jul. 4, 2013 @ 15:12 GMT
Raymond,

As well as touching a harmonic resonance with a proposition emergent from my own thesis your essay was a pleasure to read for all other reasons too. Clarity and brevity are included as a boon when tiring of wading through incomprehensible complexity.

I too derived a recycling cosmos at multiple scales based on the AGN's at galaxy centres (SMBH's) and as an astronomer I can confirm real findings and data back up the concept. Perhaps not continual feeding on a day to day basis but certainly continuous in cosmic time. My 2011 Essay discusses the concept, 2020 Vision also published in more detail here; Helical CMBR Asymmetry.. I certainly then agree your intuition is excellent.

But I hope you'll also read my essay this year "The Intelligent Bit" (not least because I hope you may score it well!) though you may perhaps find me guilty of cramming too many components into the ontological construction. Indeed the full complex power of Bell's Theorem itself is a little beyond most. I'd be interested how much you can glean from my ontology.

Well done for yours. I think it's worth a higher spot and will help there. And the very best of luck in the competition.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jul. 9, 2013 @ 06:32 GMT
Dear Raymond,

Interest idea. Enjoyable essay to read. I like that there is a recycling aspect to galaxies here. Black Holes particularly, as I look at these in a similar way, so I hope you get chance to look at my essay.

I think your approach is very refreshing and it is nice to see something so original.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law replied on Jul. 10, 2013 @ 11:23 GMT
Hi, Antony,

Thanks ! I have and I did !

Best wishes,

Raymond

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan replied on Aug. 2, 2013 @ 12:09 GMT
Many thanks Raymond!

best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law wrote on Jul. 10, 2013 @ 11:14 GMT
For : Mr. Antony Ryan

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales wrote on Jul. 23, 2013 @ 02:59 GMT
Raymond,

I found your essay truly original and imaginative. A most noteworthy effort. You made me think 'what if?'

I would like to run some questions by you via email if I may? You can email me at msm@physicsofdestiny.com at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Manuel

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law replied on Jul. 24, 2013 @ 16:03 GMT
Manuel,

Thanks for your comments and I shall be writing to you soon.

Regards,

Raymond

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 31, 2013 @ 13:30 GMT
Well done Raymond for your philosophical essay! If you like philosophy you may wish to view the judgement in the case of Atomistic Enterprises Inc. vs. Plato & Ors delivered on Jul. 28, 2013 @ 11:39 GMT.

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law replied on Jul. 31, 2013 @ 16:13 GMT
Hi, Akinbo,

Thanks for your comment and I shall take up your suggestion !

Best regards,

Raymond

Bookmark and Share

eAmazigh M. HANNOU wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 19:03 GMT
Dear Raymond,

We are at the end of this essay contest.

In conclusion, at the question to know if Information is more fundamental than Matter, there is a good reason to answer that Matter is made of an amazing mixture of eInfo and eEnergy, at the same time.

Matter is thus eInfo made with eEnergy rather than answer it is made with eEnergy and eInfo ; because eInfo is eEnergy, and the one does not go without the other one.

eEnergy and eInfo are the two basic Principles of the eUniverse. Nothing can exist if it is not eEnergy, and any object is eInfo, and therefore eEnergy.

And consequently our eReality is eInfo made with eEnergy. And the final verdict is : eReality is virtual, and virtuality is our fundamental eReality.

Good luck to the winners,

And see you soon, with good news on this topic, and the Theory of Everything.

Amazigh H.

I rated your essay.

Please visit My essay.

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law replied on Aug. 5, 2013 @ 10:45 GMT
Amazigh,

Thanks for your heads-up and I shall read your essay ASAP !

Good luck,

Raymond

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 20:52 GMT
Raymond,

You didn't respond to my post above but I hoped you may get the time to read my essay before the deadline. Some were put off by the dense Abstract but please don't be, Georgina was but commented how readable the essay was.

The critics reviews in the blogs include the superlatives; "groundbreaking", "clearly significant", "astonishing", "fantastic job", "wonderful", "remarkable!", "deeply impressed", etc. Now in it's last few days! I'd love your view on my radical and almost infinite recursive 'ying-yang' universe.

Very best wishes.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 20:56 GMT
Raymond,

Apologies, now suffering information overload, I see you did do so! A quick search function on block posts would be a brilliant time saving tool!

Very best of luck for a late charge.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 21:03 GMT
Raymond,

Apologies, now suffering information overload, I see you did do so! A quick search function on block posts would be a brilliant time saving tool!

Very best of luck for a late charge.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law wrote on Aug. 5, 2013 @ 10:50 GMT
Peter,

Thanks to all 3 postings. Messages are acknowledged and wishing you good luck and every success in all your endeavours !

Raymond

Bookmark and Share

Richard William Kingsley-Nixey wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 14:16 GMT
Raymond,

Nice essay. Not the run of the mill stuff. Deserves a higher place. So does mine perhaps, but really only a bit of fantasy.

Regards.

Richard

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law replied on Aug. 8, 2013 @ 10:50 GMT
Richard,

Thanks for your comment ; I want to take a good looking into your essay. Could I have the name of your essay and the date of its submission ?

Regards,

Raymond

P.S., your email address, too !

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 21:55 GMT
Dear Raymond,

I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest and appreciate your contribution to this competition.

I have been thoroughly impressed at the breadth, depth and quality of the ideas represented in this contest. In true academic spirit, if you have not yet reviewed my essay, I invite you to do so and leave your comments.

You can find the latest version of my essay here:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Borrill-TimeOne-
V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

May the best essays win!

Kind regards,

Paul Borrill

paul at borrill dot com

Bookmark and Share

Author Raymond Law replied on Aug. 8, 2013 @ 10:53 GMT
Dear Paul,

I would do just that and thanks for your heads-up.

Regards,

Raymond

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.