Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Paul Borrill: on 8/7/13 at 19:20pm UTC, wrote Dear George, I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest...

Richard Kingsley-Nixey: on 8/7/13 at 13:44pm UTC, wrote George, Very good essay and much under rated. On the edge of my knowledge...

eAmazigh HANNOU: on 8/4/13 at 18:40pm UTC, wrote Dear George, We are at the end of this essay contest. In conclusion, at...

Jayakar Joseph: on 7/31/13 at 6:12am UTC, wrote Dear George, As Feynman diagrams on Quantum field theory bridges QED with...

WANG Xiong: on 7/18/13 at 13:34pm UTC, wrote Dear George Rajna, Thanks for your nice essay, well done Information –...

James Hoover: on 7/3/13 at 19:15pm UTC, wrote George, If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries,...

Hoang Hai: on 6/27/13 at 3:37am UTC, wrote Send to all of you THE ADDITIONAL ARTICLES AND A SMALL TEST FOR MUTUAL...

Hoang Hai: on 6/16/13 at 9:48am UTC, wrote Dear George Rajna The measure your very real and unique. You conclude...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "Isn't symmetry simply closely related to redundancy even if physicist may..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Robert Rise: "Meet many types of women on ihookup. Some dates better than others. It is..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Steve Dufourny: "FQXI you too I need your help, come all too we have a work to do there..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol REVOLUTION SPHERISATION everywhere at all scales,REVOLUTION..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which the material change is happening, (to..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 23, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: Information – Entropy Theory of Physics by George Rajna [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author George Rajna wrote on Apr. 19, 2013 @ 10:09 GMT
Essay Abstract

Considering the positive logarithmic values as the measure of entropy and the negative logarithmic values as the measure of information we get the Information – Entropy Theory of Physics, used first as the model of the computer chess program built in the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. Applying this model to physics we have an understanding of the perturbation theory of the QED and QCD as the Information measure of Physics. We have an insight to the current research of Quantum Information Science. The generalization of the Weak Interaction shows the arrow of time in the associate research fields of the biophysics and others. We discuss also the event horizon of the Black Holes, closing the information inside.

Author Bio

M. Sc., Physics at Eötvös Loránd University. The SOA Category Winner of the first Connected Systems Developer Competition of Microsoft in San Francisco 2005 with the Next Generation Court System - achieving also the Best Enterprise Mission Critical System Award FY 2005 of Bill Gates. Artificial Intelligence Researcher participated on the 1st World Computer Chess Championship in Stockholm, 1974. International Master of Chess and was among the Top 100 Players of the World in 1987.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Philip Gibbs wrote on Apr. 21, 2013 @ 17:07 GMT
George, That's very interesting. How well did the chess program do?

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

George Rajna replied on Apr. 21, 2013 @ 17:37 GMT
Thanks Philip, you can read about here: http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Papa

and here: http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/WCCC+1974

"Papa,

an early computer chess program written by George Rajna and B. Almasi, in the 70s affiliated with the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. Papa applies the concept of entropy based on own and opponent mobility. It participated at the First World Computer Chess Championship, 1974 in Stockholm, unfortunately loosing all its three games due to tactical blunders. Based on preliminary results or expectations, Papa was seeded third, ahead of later winner Kaissa seeded fifth."

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 22, 2013 @ 13:13 GMT
This is a very interesting essay about abstraction. George’s frank admission that he considers information and matter to be two sides of the same thing in physics is admirably honest. Of course reality does not have sides because it only constantly maintains one real unique state once. When will physicists learn that it is impossible to build a perpetual motion machine because reality is already in a constant state of perpetual motion once? When will the physicists learn that it is impossible to build a machine that can travel at the “speed” of light because one real Universe is already travelling at one real “speed” of light once? Above all, when will it dawn on the physicists that they cannot build a machine that can “think” about reality because reality is unique once?

Bookmark and Share

George Rajna replied on Apr. 22, 2013 @ 20:07 GMT
Thanks Joe for reading my essay. When I say two sides of the same thing, I think about the electric charge and electric field as an example. The first is the matter; the second is the information about the matter. You are right, we never will travel with the speed of light, but I still cannot imagine the borders of the artificial intelligence.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on Apr. 23, 2013 @ 14:21 GMT
The most exciting chess match of all time was the Bobby Fischer versus Boris Spassky 1972 World Championship. The most boring unwatchable chess match of all time was the Gary Kasparov versus IBM Deep Blue debacle of 1997.

Jeopardy was a very entertaining show to watch until an IMB computer program named Watson activated the timing buzzer for every answer selection posed by Alex Trebek and easily won pitted against the two most successful human Jeopardy contestants of all time.

According to a National Geographic televised episode, whereas it used to take one man one long day to pick one acre of corn, there is now a machine that can reap 40,000 acres of corn in one short day.

3D printers can now produce stuff 24/7.

Americans no longer have manners. Americans now have mannerisms. Americans no longer socialize. Americans now belong to social networks. Americans no longer do. Americans watch. Americans no longer think. They calmly await the day when the scientifically designed knowledge pill becomes available.

Bookmark and Share

George Rajna replied on Apr. 23, 2013 @ 16:20 GMT
Anyway it is nice to watch now online the Alekhine memorial: http://www.alekhine-memorial.com/online_game

Bookmark and Share

Philip Gibbs wrote on Apr. 23, 2013 @ 11:07 GMT
I thought of your essay when I read this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22261742

Bookmark and Share

George Rajna replied on Apr. 23, 2013 @ 13:50 GMT
Thanks for the link, I am very glad to see that my thoughts before 40 years finally part of the research plan of physicists and the joint research fields, understanding that information and entropy are both sides of the It and Bit. Funny also that the original article 'Causal Entropic Forces' (http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v110/i16/e168702) published on the same day as our essays of the contest.

Bookmark and Share

Domenico Oricchio wrote on Apr. 24, 2013 @ 13:30 GMT
It is interesting the use of the entropy for the chess game, so that it is possible to include the complexity in the choice of the movement; but this can work for a player like Capablanca that play closed positions (I think that your program PAPA play like Capablanca), I don't think that can be appliable to an opponent like Aleckine (a master of the open positions).

The endgame is like the thermodynamical equilibrium, with a low number of particles (heat death of the universe: there is not much change in entropy), and the promotion is like a tunneling between stable particles.

There is an analogy between the annihilation of a particles with capture of a piece: can be true that the elementary rule of the Physics are like a complex chess game.

This remember me the Feynman idea of the elementary process like a chess game (It from bit?): but Feynman was Wheeler's student.

I repeat that your article is interesting.

Saluti

Domenico

Bookmark and Share

George Rajna replied on Apr. 25, 2013 @ 07:21 GMT
You must be a very good chess player and understand deeply my model, although I played chess much like in the style of Alekhine than Capablanca and used the Entropy – Information model to select my strategy and moves: http://www.chessgames.com/player/george_rajna.html . By the way Feynman is my favorite physicist, his work helped me to build my 3 Dimensional String Theory: http://vixra.org/abs/1112.0064 .

Bookmark and Share

Domenico Oricchio replied on Apr. 25, 2013 @ 11:50 GMT
I am not a chess practitioner like you.

I read quickly your theory, and I like the story of the chess, and some legendary characters: I liked, in the past, to read chess game, opening, wold Champioships; I was only an avid fan.

I like the application of entropy, in all the know forms, and applications; this new application is beautiful; it is not necessary a deep knowledge of the program (which I must deepen), to understand the ingenious idea that led to his programming.

I understand that the endgame is a limit for the entropy application, because of the limit in the entropy variations; the Alekhine games are, for me, pure poetry (can be the vodka effect).

Saluti

Domenico

Bookmark and Share

Jacek Safuta wrote on Apr. 28, 2013 @ 19:18 GMT
Hi George,

Your essay is really interesting. I have never heard that chess programs have anything to do with entropy! So inspired by you I have started to read more and have found a lot of fascinating stuff.

Especially important from my point of view is a connection between entropy and self-organized criticality that in turn is connected with emergence and evolution in physics.

According to Lee Smolin (Loop Quantum Gravity) self-organized critical systems are statistical systems that naturally evolve without fine tuning to critical states in which correlation functions are scale invariant. My own view seems to support the view of Smolin in the meaning that the universe is a dissipative coupled system that exhibits self-organized criticality. http://vixra.org/abs/1102.0026

I am glad that you see the connection between statistical physics and evolutionary biology. In my letter (vixra) I have applied the theory of Darwinism far beyond its original sphere of organic evolution on Earth.

Your essay conclusion is …that information and matter are two sides of the same thing in physics, because the matter is the diffraction pattern of the electromagnetic waves. I would say that the matter is the wave itself but I do not make the same mistake as Schroedinger… My essay explains it very shortly giving directions to references. Maybe you would try to read and comment?

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1609

I should not comment or rate your essay yet because this area is too fresh for me. I have to study the subject.

But thank once more for the inspiration.

Philip gave you a link and I have found very fresh one (rather popular science)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/04/21
/from-atoms-to-bits-physics-shows-entropy-as-the-root-of-int
elligence/

Bookmark and Share

George Rajna replied on May. 15, 2013 @ 08:05 GMT
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the sholders of Giants."

Bookmark and Share

John C Maguire wrote on Jun. 3, 2013 @ 18:30 GMT
George,

Very interesting. Enjoyed the Chess analysis. Do you see the same principles embodied in other games of skill (Poker for example)?

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Jun. 10, 2013 @ 19:40 GMT
George,

Fascinating essay (even as a decidedly average chess player). I've always struggled a little with the logic of entropy but you certainly gave me a new more fundamental vision of entropy in practice. Very nicely written, and a nice easy 'density' to read and understand.

It made me think a bit more clearly about the entropic angle of the infinite hierarchical subset evolution I discuss in my own essay. I also draw a dividing line between two sides, but am rather more radical! I hope you'll read and comment on it.

Best of luck in the scoring.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 16:48 GMT
Hello George,

Interesting essay. I like the chess approach. I find your conclusion that "information and matter are two sides of the same thing in physics" to be consistent with my essay conclusion, leading to both It from Bit and Bit from It. I hope you have the chance to take a look at mine - any feedback would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 17:06 GMT
I'd like to add that Beta Decay resulting in the arrow of time via less/lower quality information sits extremely well with my Baryon Asymmetry solution (part of my unification/cosmogony theory), which is similarly based around Beta Decay.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 16, 2013 @ 09:48 GMT
Dear George Rajna

The measure your very real and unique.

You conclude that: "It From Bit and Bit from it! " Is the right answer for "It From Bit or Bit from it?" - Meaning you that is : the bit was self-generated the information ?

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1802

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 27, 2013 @ 03:37 GMT
Send to all of you

THE ADDITIONAL ARTICLES AND A SMALL TEST FOR MUTUAL BENEFIT

To change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition and to demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after receiving the opinion of you , I will add a reply to you :

1 . THE...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 3, 2013 @ 19:15 GMT
George,

If given the time and the wits to evaluate over 120 more entries, I have a month to try. My seemingly whimsical title, “It’s good to be the king,” is serious about our subject.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

WANG Xiong wrote on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 13:34 GMT
Dear George Rajna,

Thanks for your nice essay, well done

Information – Entropy Theory of Physics

Applying this model to physics we have an understanding of the perturbation theory of the QED and QCD as the Information measure of Physics.

very impressive, anything related to Quantum gravity?

and from a different point view, my essay may interest you

Bit: from Breaking symmetry of it

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1906

Hope you enjoy it

Regards,

Xiong

Bookmark and Share

Jayakar Johnson Joseph wrote on Jul. 31, 2013 @ 06:12 GMT
Dear George,

As Feynman diagrams on Quantum field theory bridges QED with QCD, the source and the observer of information is demonstrable with these diagrams in particle physics. Observational information on particle scenario is probabilistic as there is uncertainty exists and in conditions with increase of this uncertainty of information for the observer the entropy increases whereas the information for an observer decreases and vice versa, yet asymptotic with relative probability.

To resolve this uncertainty in observational information, some of the field expressions in Feynman diagrams are adapted to represent particles as physical string-matter segments described in a string-matter continuum scenario, in that the information-entropy relationship is not expressional as the observational information continuum is realistic rather than probabilistic, whereas the fluctuation theorem with nonzero conditions is much appropriate.

In this paradigm as information is considered as the transfer of mass with energy rather than transfer of only energy as in particle scenario. Thus the gravitational effect in entirety of universe fluctuates asymptotically with nonzero conditions and implies with a Non-inflationary Universe with Homeomorphic Segmental-fluctuations in Holarchical discrete cyclic-time.

In this aspect, your opinion, “that information and matter are two sides of the same thing in physics, because the matter is the diffraction pattern of the electromagnetic waves, giving the temperature dependent different structures of the matter”, is true.

With best wishes,

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

eAmazigh M. HANNOU wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 18:40 GMT
Dear George,

We are at the end of this essay contest.

In conclusion, at the question to know if Information is more fundamental than Matter, there is a good reason to answer that Matter is made of an amazing mixture of eInfo and eEnergy, at the same time.

Matter is thus eInfo made with eEnergy rather than answer it is made with eEnergy and eInfo ; because eInfo is eEnergy, and the one does not go without the other one.

eEnergy and eInfo are the two basic Principles of the eUniverse. Nothing can exist if it is not eEnergy, and any object is eInfo, and therefore eEnergy.

And consequently our eReality is eInfo made with eEnergy. And the final verdict is : eReality is virtual, and virtuality is our fundamental eReality.

Good luck to the winners,

And see you soon, with good news on this topic, and the Theory of Everything.

Amazigh H.

I rated your essay.

Please visit My essay.

Bookmark and Share

Richard William Kingsley-Nixey wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 13:44 GMT
George,

Very good essay and much under rated. On the edge of my knowledge and I'm not a great string theory fan, preferring the tangible. But I'm pleased to assist with a more appropriate score.

Regards

Richard

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 19:20 GMT
Dear George,

I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest and appreciate your contribution to this competition.

I have been thoroughly impressed at the breadth, depth and quality of the ideas represented in this contest. In true academic spirit, if you have not yet reviewed my essay, I invite you to do so and leave your comments.

You can find the latest version of my essay here:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Borrill-TimeOne-
V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

May the best essays win!

Kind regards,

Paul Borrill

paul at borrill dot com

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.