Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Paul Borrill: on 8/7/13 at 20:44pm UTC, wrote Dear Jin, I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest...

George Kirakosyan: on 8/7/13 at 14:50pm UTC, wrote Dr. Jin He, I am so sorry because I have found your work too later....

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 8/7/13 at 10:17am UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Jin He, I am pleased to read your essay in the spirit of...

Peter Jackson: on 8/6/13 at 21:00pm UTC, wrote Jin, Hi. I hope you may still get to read and comment on my essay. I...

Antony Ryan: on 8/5/13 at 21:34pm UTC, wrote Thanks Jin, Best wishes, Antony

eAmazigh HANNOU: on 8/4/13 at 18:44pm UTC, wrote Dear Jin He, We are at the end of this essay contest. In conclusion, at...

Jin He: on 8/3/13 at 15:43pm UTC, wrote Dear Stephen Sorry for delayed reply. I tried to login to FQXI and it did...

Jin He: on 8/3/13 at 15:41pm UTC, wrote Dear Hugh Sorry for delayed reply. I tried to login to FQXI and it did not...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

Michael Hussey: "it is really difficult to understand what is all about all the things..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Stefan Weckbach: "I have a problem with the notion of time in the multiverse scenario that..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Agnew: "It is interesting that you bring up change in the context of free..." in Cosmological Koans

Roger Granet: "By the way, this post was from Roger." in First Things First: The...

david john: "https://www.google.com google.com/ google.com/" in Black Hole Photographed...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Lorraine Ford: "Physics has failed to explain change: physics tries to claim that change is..." in Cosmological Koans

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
July 17, 2019

CATEGORY: It From Bit or Bit From It? Essay Contest (2013) [back]
TOPIC: New Universal Gravity: Bit is It and It is Bit by Jin He [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Jin He wrote on Apr. 19, 2013 @ 10:09 GMT
Essay Abstract

Galaxies are natural beauties. Beauties are lives. Lives are information. Though unthinkably large, galaxies are fundamental. Their internal and fundamental interaction is gravity. Therefore, fundamental is information and information is fundamental.

Author Bio

Dr. Jin He came from China. He graduated from Wuhan University, China, in mathematics. He earned a M.S. in elementary particle theory at East China Normal University and a Ph.D in astrophysics at the University of Alabama. He believes that his findings in galaxy patterns will revolutionize the spiritual world of mankind.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Philip Gibbs wrote on Apr. 21, 2013 @ 13:15 GMT
Your claim that "galaxies are fundamental" is radical and nicely provocative. It seems to stand conventional wisdom on its head, but that is sometimes a good way to get thinking outside the box.

Good luck with this entry.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Anonymous wrote on Apr. 21, 2013 @ 13:30 GMT
Dear Philip, Thanks for your further information.

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He wrote on Apr. 22, 2013 @ 01:18 GMT
Hi, The Coward,

On April 21st, you rated my essay to be the lowest 1. Why didn't you give your reasoning or comments also? Do you know New Universal Gravity? It needs the background of middle-school math.

Do you know New Universal Gravity is completely relavent to galaxies? Do you know galaxies are your parents? If you want to offend your parents, you or your family may get trouble!!!

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He wrote on Apr. 22, 2013 @ 14:01 GMT
The person who rated my essay with the lowest score 1 is very possibly one of the following people:

BITTERS by Joe Fisher

Community Rating: 1.0 (2 ratings) Public Rating: N/A

letter by Domenico Oricchio

Community Rating: 1.0 (1 rating) Public Rating: N/A

Information – Entropy Theory of Physics by George Rajna

Community Rating: 1.0 (1 rating) ...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 22, 2013 @ 14:36 GMT
Dear Dr. Jin He,

I was not the one who originally rated you a 1 for your essay. 1 is not the lowest score. Two people have rated my essay, BITTERS, yet I have only gained a rating of 1. I have now read your essay and I am afraid I cannot give you a rating because your essay seems to be off topic. As I understand the competition, we are supposed to be concentrating on the subject of information and information technology. Please be aware that the judges and most of the contributors are like you, holders of Ph.D. in Physics certificates. If they do not already know all that there was to know about gravity and galaxies, they could not have acquired their degrees in the first place.

Please do not ever accuse anybody of cowardice just because you did not like the way they rated your essay. May I ask how you have rated some of the other essays at this site? Hove you explained to the recipient of your rating, the reason for your rating?

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He wrote on Apr. 22, 2013 @ 15:07 GMT
Dear Joe Fisher, Thanks for your honesty and clarification.

As for your comments "your essay seems to be off topic". This is because people have zero understanding of life! Do you think that life is off topic to "It from Bit or Bit from It". Do you know that 'entanglement' 'emergence' 'It from Bit or Bit from It' "dark matter' 'dark energy' 'dark big bang' etc. are mainstream scientists' final crazy struggling and screeching?

Fortunately, galaxies are real EXISTENCE!!!! Understanding of galaxies is human's only hope!!

As for your comments "May I ask how you have rated some of the other essays at this site". I took the contest last year. At first, my essay was rated good. Later on some terrorists came out to rate my essay lower and lower. Now the same terrorist is coming!

I never expect truth will win on the website FQXI. Some billionares got conscience recovery and wanted scientists to discover the origin of life. They put the money on the hands of dark admistrators: 'ark matter' 'dark energy' 'dark big bang' etc. are mainstream scientists' and run a website.

Unfortunately, Alexa website ranking given to the website is lower than viXra.org. A big joke of evil money.

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He wrote on Apr. 22, 2013 @ 15:10 GMT
The person who rated my essay with the lowest score 1 is very possibly one of the following people:

letter by Domenico Oricchio

Information – Entropy Theory of Physics by George Rajna

Which is What? by Paul Reed

Community Rating: 1.0 (2 ratings) Public Rating: N/A

It From Bit or Bit From It? by Kimmo Rouvari

Community Rating: 1.0 (1 rating) Public Rating: 7.0 (1 rating)

Cosmological Explorations 5 by James Burton Wright

Watching the Clock: Quantum Rotation and Relative Time by Alan M. Kadin

Community Rating: N/A Public Rating: N/A

All Your Base Are Belong To Math by Kyle Miller

Community Rating: 2.0 (2 ratings) Public Rating: N/A

The person should stand out, tell us your name, and repent in the face of galaxies and under the heaven of galaxy creator, so that your familiy might have a normal future.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 22, 2013 @ 21:46 GMT
I gave the other essays that I read a 1. How did you rate my essay? It is an essay contest, it is not a war. BOSTON had terrorists. The odds of a terrorist reading your essay and identifying himself as a terrorist by giving you a low rating are non-existent. Please calm youself. Do a bit of Zen. Hum. Howl if you have to.

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Apr. 22, 2013 @ 21:55 GMT
I have not rated anyone's essay by now except last year.

Theoretical science Is religion. Do you know that Vantican said Big Bang theory is consistent with Bible?

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on Apr. 23, 2013 @ 13:32 GMT
Of course theoretical physics is a religion. Christians believe in a God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost. Physicists believe in the God of the Black Hole, the God of the Speed of Light, and the God of the Expanding Universe.

Bookmark and Share

Jacek Safuta wrote on Apr. 27, 2013 @ 15:49 GMT
Hi Jin,

Your essay has the promising and interesting title but I cannot find any connection between the title and the essay content. I have searched the text looking for the words “Bit” and “It” and I have failed. Maybe there is a hint? Could you, please, help me with that issue?

Anyway there is the famous Einstein statement:

"One should not reproach the theorist who undertakes such a task by calling him a fantast; instead, one must allow him his fantasizing, since for him there is no other way to his goal whatsoever. Indeed, it is no planless fantasizing, but rather a search for the logically simplest possibilities and their consequences"

My fantasies you can find and comment here: http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1609

Thank you

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:26 GMT
Dear Jacek

Sorry for delayed reply. I tried to login to FQXI and it did not work. Now I made it. Thanks for your encouragement. I will take a look at your essay.

Jin

Bookmark and Share

Planck wrote on May. 8, 2013 @ 15:50 GMT
Dear Mr. He,

Can you kindly show how your New Universal Gravity takes into account the Principle of Equivalence, which is today tested at a level 10 to minus 13? Clearly, if your New Universal Gravity cannot explain the Principle of Equivalence it will be ultimately ruled out by this strong observational constrain.

Sincerely,

Planck

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:28 GMT
Dear Planck

Sorry for delayed reply. I tried to login to FQXI and it did not work. Now I made it. Thanks for your encouragement. I will take a look at your essay.

Gravity is 10^40 weaker at what ever scale than any force you know!

Jin

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Jun. 10, 2013 @ 16:53 GMT
Dear Jin,

An interesting and original derivation and essay. Frankly reading it was a nice break from reading just of it's and bit's, but then I too an am astronomer with a great interest in galaxies as important features and indicators.

You were not alone getting a score of 1. I too got the same within what seemed a few minutes of posting! I don't apply scores until I've read most but yours is certainly worth more than that insult. There have been many others not exactly rigidly 'on topic' in the past.

I hope you'll read comment on and score mine. Although this years is not about astronomy it is I hope on a seminally important subject.

Well done, and Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:31 GMT
Dear Peter

Jin

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 16, 2013 @ 09:29 GMT
Dear Jin He

It would great more if you can tell: What is to created the gravity? and why gravity can make the universe to work ? Why have the "spiral galaxy"? why "elliptical galaxies is a rational structure"? may be proved by how is measure?

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1802

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:33 GMT
Dear Hoang

No mainstream opinion on your questions, which is why I am depressed.

Jin

Bookmark and Share

JOSEPH E BRENNER wrote on Jun. 23, 2013 @ 07:22 GMT
Dear Dr. He Jin,

Thank you for your provocative entry, to which I gave a low rating primarily because it did not address directly the theme of the Contest as given. I would just say also, as in the previous comment, that it is the properties of something that determine gravity, to which we can then ascribe a certain mathematical structure. The other point one might make, perhaps more controversial, is the nature of "beauty" about which perhaps the only think one can say is that it is outside any mathematical explanation.

Best regards,

Joseph Brenner

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:34 GMT
Dear Joseph

Jin

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan wrote on Jun. 23, 2013 @ 21:19 GMT
Dear Dr. Jin He,

Original idea for sure - I wonder if my essay on Black Holes would be compatible in any way, given your fundamental galactic theme?

Did you decide It from Bit or vice versa.

Anyway - pleasant read and pleased to see something a little different.

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:35 GMT
Dear Antony

Jin

Bookmark and Share

Antony Ryan replied on Aug. 5, 2013 @ 21:34 GMT
Thanks Jin,

Best wishes,

Antony

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Jun. 27, 2013 @ 03:37 GMT
Send to all of you

THE ADDITIONAL ARTICLES AND A SMALL TEST FOR MUTUAL BENEFIT

To change the atmosphere "abstract" of the competition and to demonstrate for the real preeminent possibility of the Absolute theory as well as to clarify the issues I mentioned in the essay and to avoid duplicate questions after receiving the opinion of you , I will add a reply to you :

1 . THE...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Manuel S Morales wrote on Jul. 13, 2013 @ 15:15 GMT
Dr. Jin He,

I found your innovative perspective of interest for they seem to correlate very well with the findings of a 12 year experiment I have recently concluded. I look forward to an open minded discussion about this concept of a universal gravity which I find reflects the effects of selection events.

I am please to rate your essay highly. Best wishes to you in this competition.

Regards,

Manuel Morales

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:37 GMT
Dear Manuel

Jin

Bookmark and Share

Hugh Matlock wrote on Jul. 17, 2013 @ 23:03 GMT
Hi Dr. Jin He,

I agree with you that the study of galaxies can give us clues to "life, the universe and everything," as Douglas Adams put it. I do not mind that the essay appears off-topic because it helps me in my own research, and that is the greatest benefit of the essay contest for me. I have some questions for you:

1. Does your theory work with irregular galaxies... which many assume are intermediate states of the merger or close contact of two galaxies?

2. Does your theory help explain the unexpected structural simplicity of galaxies that Disney et. al. reported?

3. Do you think it is possible that when we look at a galaxy we are seeing a three dimensional projection of a hyperspherical surface?

This is the picture I am led to in my work, described in Software Cosmos.

Hugh

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:41 GMT
Dear Hugh

1. Irregular = Interacting. My result has not been developed into studying interacting galaxies.

2. My result is consistent with Disney et. al's simplicity. But it has not been developed into studying their parameters.

3. Sorry I do not understand what you said.

Jin

Bookmark and Share

Stephen James Anastasi wrote on Jul. 28, 2013 @ 05:39 GMT
Hello Jin He

I found your essay challenging, and well outside contemporary thinking. In an essay such as yours, the ideas put help one to stop fixating on old knowledge, which I think is a good thing.

Good luck

Stephen Anastasi

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:43 GMT
Dear Stephen

Jin

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 05:37 GMT
Dear Dr. Jin He,

I have down loaded your essay and soon post my comments on it. Meanwhile, please, go through my essay and post your comments.

Regards and good luck in the contest,

Sreenath BN.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1827

Bookmark and Share

Sreenath B N wrote on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 07:28 GMT
Dear Dr. Jin He,

I read your exhilarating essay with endless enthusiasm and you may ask why; it is because you, please, go through my previous year’s (2012) essay in the fqxi essay contest “Questioning the Foundations: Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong? Title of the Essay: The concept of Acceleration in the quantum world is wrong. By- B N Sreenath”. There you have answer to your “New Universal Gravity”. In your article, you have dealt with spiral galaxies and it is these I have considered in my essay there. In that essay, I have dealt with the problem of quantum-gravity (QG) and the field of QG is associated with black holes and it is the action of this field which gives spiral shape to a galaxy. The QG field is an ‘exponentially varying gravity/acceleration field’, in which the gravity/acceleration along with force, energy, and density vary exponentially along the spiral curve. The path described in QG field is logarithmic (log) spiral path and that is why spiral galaxies describe this log spiral path. That is why your theory of ‘New Universal Gravity’ is nothing but the theory of QG. The ‘golden spirals’ you have mentioned in your essay are in fact a form of log spiral. I hope, now it is clear to you where to find answer to your question.

Your knowledge of galaxies is very deep and I want you to share with me because my main field of research is QG and where your wisdom is very helpful to me. I hope you oblige.

Now coming back to our essay topic, “It from Bit or Bit from It”, you have said in the heading of your essay itself that “Bit is It and It is Bit”. I have nothing to disagree with you in this regard. Go through my essay also and please express your invaluable comments on it in my thread, although in this essay contest my subject is entirely different from that of the previous year. For your spiritually thought provoking essay, I will rate it with maximum possible score.

Best regards,

Sreenath

Bookmark and Share

Author Jin He replied on Aug. 3, 2013 @ 15:24 GMT
Dear Sreenath BN

Jin

Bookmark and Share

eAmazigh M. HANNOU wrote on Aug. 4, 2013 @ 18:44 GMT
Dear Jin He,

We are at the end of this essay contest.

In conclusion, at the question to know if Information is more fundamental than Matter, there is a good reason to answer that Matter is made of an amazing mixture of eInfo and eEnergy, at the same time.

Matter is thus eInfo made with eEnergy rather than answer it is made with eEnergy and eInfo ; because eInfo is eEnergy, and the one does not go without the other one.

eEnergy and eInfo are the two basic Principles of the eUniverse. Nothing can exist if it is not eEnergy, and any object is eInfo, and therefore eEnergy.

And consequently our eReality is eInfo made with eEnergy. And the final verdict is : eReality is virtual, and virtuality is our fundamental eReality.

Good luck to the winners,

And see you soon, with good news on this topic, and the Theory of Everything.

Amazigh H.

I rated your essay.

Please visit My essay.

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Aug. 6, 2013 @ 21:00 GMT
Jin,

Hi. I hope you may still get to read and comment on my essay. I don't recall a blog post. I'm convinced you'll like it, it's been called groundbreaking, wonderful etc in my blog, but I'd like your view. (ignore the dense abstract that first put some off) You may also like to comment on my work on a new coherent evolutionary cyclic sequence of galaxies after the competition perhaps.

Well done and thank you.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 10:17 GMT
Dear Dr. Jin He,

I am pleased to read your essay in the spirit of Descartes, with very deep radical ideas, new eidoses and conclusions: «.. new gravitational law is based on the proportion surfaces of rational structure. Because rational structure is harmonically unique and its examples 4are extremely limited, the involved proportion surfaces are not mathematically arbitrary. They root in the natural beauty. »

Please look at my essay and vote ideas.

Best regards

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

George Kirakosyan wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 14:50 GMT
Dr. Jin He,

I am so sorry because I have found your work too later. Matter is the gravity problem was for my favorable hobby from my student years. I felt that here must be something shocking and very unusual solution! I cannot to say now something certainly and reasonable about your work because of necessary time to study it properly. Meantime I hope you will find some interest to my works (not for this time that will be not realistic) Please just open my essay and decide yourself - is it need to read or not. About gravity you can find my booklet by Google - G.K. ,,The Logical Solution of the Riddles of gravity and Einstein’s Theory,, I will send you e-version in PDF soon when I will find it in my archive. I have rated your nice essay on ,,high score,,. Please just open my essay!

Best wishes,

George Kirakosyan

Bookmark and Share

Paul Borrill wrote on Aug. 7, 2013 @ 20:44 GMT
Dear Jin,

I have now finished reviewing all 180 essays for the contest and appreciate your contribution to this competition.

I have been thoroughly impressed at the breadth, depth and quality of the ideas represented in this contest. In true academic spirit, if you have not yet reviewed my essay, I invite you to do so and leave your comments.

You can find the latest version of my essay here:

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Borrill-TimeOne-
V1.1a.pdf

(sorry if the fqxi web site splits this url up, I haven’t figured out a way to not make it do that).

May the best essays win!

Kind regards,

Paul Borrill

paul at borrill dot com

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.