Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jack Smait: on 10/15/19 at 19:38pm UTC, wrote My name is Jack Smait. I am printer technicians having experience with more...

Jack: on 10/8/12 at 2:06am UTC, wrote Hello A.J. Very well written and informative. Your opinion mirrors my...

Sergey Fedosin: on 10/4/12 at 4:13am UTC, wrote If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings...

Hoang Hai: on 9/19/12 at 14:52pm UTC, wrote Dear Very interesting to see your essay. Perhaps all of us are convinced...

Frank Makinson: on 9/6/12 at 5:03am UTC, wrote A-J, You are allowed a hearing in the FQXi essay contest, but many of the...

James Dwyer: on 9/5/12 at 23:18pm UTC, wrote Hi A-J, I find a lot to like about your essay, although my alternative...

Jeff Baugher: on 9/5/12 at 20:55pm UTC, wrote Hi AJ Thanks for sharing your essay. You state that a mass of one object...

S Halayka: on 9/5/12 at 19:51pm UTC, wrote I very much love the spirit of your essay. Thank you for sharing it. :)

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "Isn't symmetry simply closely related to redundancy even if physicist may..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Robert Rise: "Meet many types of women on ihookup. Some dates better than others. It is..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Steve Dufourny: "FQXI you too I need your help, come all too we have a work to do there..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol REVOLUTION SPHERISATION everywhere at all scales,REVOLUTION..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which the material change is happening, (to..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 23, 2019

CATEGORY: Questioning the Foundations Essay Contest (2012) [back]
TOPIC: A Quantum Theory of Gravity - The Illusion of Attraction by A-J Tarttelin [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author A-J Tarttelin wrote on Sep. 5, 2012 @ 15:25 GMT
Essay Abstract

A remarkably simple solution to the problem of gravity/dark matter as seen from a fresh and rather revolutionary perspective, fulfilling the promise in the title.

Author Bio

I am a lifelong student of science, but not a 'scientist', for the title implies the doing of science and i rarely 'do', but only read. I am a full-time carer for my partner in life, who is an amputee further debilitated through "living with heart failure".

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

S Halayka wrote on Sep. 5, 2012 @ 19:51 GMT
I very much love the spirit of your essay. Thank you for sharing it. :)

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Jeff Baugher wrote on Sep. 5, 2012 @ 20:55 GMT
Hi AJ

Thanks for sharing your essay.

You state that a mass of one object blocks off the repulsive force of gravity of another object in a straight line which you state is a gravitational shadow.

Doesn't that mean as a planetary object becomes smaller, but more dense, that its shadow would also get smaller and thus block less repulsion? If using straight lines, doesn't that also require one to take into consideration physical size as well as the mass? What are the differences between your concept and LeSage's, not counting particle collisions?

There are also other ways to make repulsive gravity, have a look at a sketch I recently added.

Btw, if you read enough essays in the contest, you will notice that quite a few of them are written too vague to get a concrete grasp of how it relates to real physical assumptions. I thank you for your boldness.

Thanks

Jeff

Bookmark and Share

James T. Dwyer wrote on Sep. 5, 2012 @ 23:18 GMT
Hi A-J,

I find a lot to like about your essay, although my alternative conception of non-attractive gravity does not agree with yours (IMO, space containing kinetic vacuum energy is condensed by interaction with potential mass-energy, producing accelerating energy gradients within spacetime). I do think you'll find my essay to be quite complementary: Inappropriate Application of Kepler's Empirical Laws of Planetary Motion to Spiral Galaxies Created the Perceived Galaxy Rotation Problem - Thereby Establishing a Galactic Presence for the Elusive, Inferred Dark Matter.

Best wishes, Jim

P.S. I recommend beta blockers (Coreg/Carvedilol) if not already prescribed.

Bookmark and Share

Frank Makinson wrote on Sep. 6, 2012 @ 05:03 GMT
A-J,

You are allowed a hearing in the FQXi essay contest, but many of the readers that examine the various essays quickly brush aside any viewpoint that doesn't follow what is "generally accepted".

I wonder how two of your more conventional UK scientists, Queen Mary University of London, were viewed when they presented a mathematical justification for an electromagnetic (EM) cause of gravity, this in 2004.

Electrifying Gravity

Newton's Gravitation Constant G as a Quantum Coupling Constant

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Sep. 19, 2012 @ 14:52 GMT
Dear

Very interesting to see your essay.

Perhaps all of us are convinced that: the choice of yourself is right!That of course is reasonable.

So may be we should work together to let's the consider clearly defined for the basis foundations theoretical as the most challenging with intellectual of all of us.

Why we do not try to start with a real challenge is very close and are the focus of interest of the human science: it is a matter of mass and grain Higg boson of the standard model.

Knowledge and belief reasoning of you will to express an opinion on this matter:

You have think that: the Mass is the expression of the impact force to material - so no impact force, we do not feel the Higg boson - similar to the case of no weight outside the Earth's atmosphere.

Does there need to be a particle with mass for everything have volume? If so, then why the mass of everything change when moving from the Earth to the Moon? Higg boson is lighter by the Moon's gravity is weaker than of Earth?

The LHC particle accelerator used to "Smashed" until "Ejected" Higg boson, but why only when the "Smashed" can see it,and when off then not see it ?

Can be "locked" Higg particles? so when "released" if we do not force to it by any the Force, how to know that it is "out" or not?

You are should be boldly to give a definition of weight that you think is right for us to enjoy, or oppose my opinion.

Because in the process of research, the value of "failure" or "success" is the similar with science. The purpose of a correct theory be must is without any a wrong point ?

Glad to see from you comments soon,because still have too many of the same problems.

Regards !

Hải.Caohoàng of THE INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS AND A CORRECT THEORY

August 23, 2012 - 11:51 GMT on this essay contest.

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 04:13 GMT
If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings in the contest are calculated in the next way. Suppose your rating is
and
was the quantity of people which gave you ratings. Then you have
of points. After it anyone give you
of points so you have
of points and
is the common quantity of the people which gave you ratings. At the same time you will have
of points. From here, if you want to be R2 > R1 there must be:
or
or
In other words if you want to increase rating of anyone you must give him more points
then the participant`s rating
was at the moment you rated him. From here it is seen that in the contest are special rules for ratings. And from here there are misunderstanding of some participants what is happened with their ratings. Moreover since community ratings are hided some participants do not sure how increase ratings of others and gives them maximum 10 points. But in the case the scale from 1 to 10 of points do not work, and some essays are overestimated and some essays are drop down. In my opinion it is a bad problem with this Contest rating process.

Sergey Fedosin

Bookmark and Share

Jack wrote on Oct. 8, 2012 @ 02:06 GMT
Hello A.J.

Very well written and informative. Your opinion mirrors my own. I'm very interested in reading further your thoughts on the subject. Can you post a link to your blog? I tried and couldn't find it

Thanks

Jack

Bookmark and Share

Jack peter Smait wrote on Oct. 15, 2019 @ 19:38 GMT
My name is Jack Smait. I am printer technicians having experience with more than 10 years. I am also blogging on technical issues. If you facing problem with printer then you can get free advice on +1-866-760-2639 printer toll free number. For more information visit our website printer repair near me.

printer not responding

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.