Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Donatello Dolce: on 10/9/12 at 14:11pm UTC, wrote 06/10/2012, 11:54 AM: Welcome Lucrezia into this crazy world.

Donatello Dolce: on 10/5/12 at 20:53pm UTC, wrote Dear all, I frankly thynk that the 70th place for my essay is...

Donatello Dolce: on 10/5/12 at 17:20pm UTC, wrote Dear all, today I passed from the 8th position, then to the 35th, then...

Cristinel Stoica: on 10/5/12 at 8:33am UTC, wrote Dear Donatello, I like this article. Using boundary conditions and...

Gary Simpson: on 10/4/12 at 22:54pm UTC, wrote You were right. I like it. Periodicity is key. It is interesting to me that...

Donatello Dolce: on 10/4/12 at 18:32pm UTC, wrote Thank you Ioannis, your support will help me to carry on my challenging...

ioannis hadjidakis: on 10/4/12 at 16:59pm UTC, wrote just in time I gave you the rate you deserve for your excellent essay. ...

Sergey Fedosin: on 10/4/12 at 4:52am UTC, wrote If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hi to both of you, in all case an egg is a spheroid, that it is sure and..." in What Will Quantum...

Steve Agnew: "Math gives us a way to predict outcomes from precursors just like religion..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Lorraine Ford: "Georgina, IF you were trying to claim that eggs could have a relationship..." in What Will Quantum...

charlie Ford: "This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

elena smith: "Basic Outlook principles that could save your time Nowadays, everybody is..." in Are We Merging With Our...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Joe, what is mostly illuminated by ONE INFINITE type of finite..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar supposedly..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Let s extrapolate an universal Lagrangian Hamiltonian correlated with this..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
December 13, 2019

CATEGORY: Questioning the Foundations Essay Contest (2012) [back]
TOPIC: Elementary Time Cycles by Donatello Dolce [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 4, 2012 @ 11:15 GMT
Essay Abstract

Relativity, if rigorously interpreted, only fixes the differential structure of space-time without giving any particular prescription about the boundary of the space-time dimensions. On the other hand the boundary conditions have played a fundamental role since the earliest days of quantum mechanics. Wave-particle duality suggests the introduction in physics of the principle of intrinsic periodicity so that elementary particles turn out to be described as modulated harmonic vibrations of compact space-time dimensions. This enforces the undulatory nature of elementary particles and the local nature of relativistic space-time. For instance, as mathematically proven in recent publications, this conciliates special relativity with quantum mechanics [Found.Phys.,41:178,2011], gauge interactions with gravitational interaction [Ann.Phys.,327(6),1562,2012], and pinpoints a fundamental aspect of the Maldacena conjecture [Ann.Phys.,327(9),2354,2012]. Here, we present some conceptual elements of this innovative and elegant interpretation of the quantum world giving some historical and philosophical motivations.

Author Bio

Dr. Donatello Dolce has obtained his PhD in high energy physics at the Florence Univ., in 2007 after a PostDoc at J. Gutenberg Univ. of Mainz, Germany, he is concluding a PostDoc at the University of Melbourne, Australia. Despite his main research field is Phenomenology, he has dedicated most of his time and efforts in foundations of physics, convinced that novel natural testable ideas are necessary in modern physics. He has proposed a principle of intrinsic periodicity of elementary systems, obtaining and publishing a new theory with a realistic unified description of physics.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 4, 2012 @ 18:11 GMT
Acknowledgements: I would like to thank R. Guy Grantham for the help in proofreading my essay and feedback.

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan replied on Sep. 4, 2012 @ 22:35 GMT
Dr Donatello Dolce

Why is nature playing that particular string chord?

Because Creator is Great Musician.

See my essay and listening music too...please.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1413

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 5, 2012 @ 19:23 GMT
Hi Yuri,

I'll try to figure out about your essay.

The idea that the physical world can be described in terms of musical theory has origin in Pythagoras, it also is at the origin of mathematics and harmony in art. This is very fascinating and, according to my essay, I like to think that Pythagoras was the first one to study the laws of QM.

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny Jedi replied on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 14:09 GMT
Hello thinkers,

Hello Mr.Dolce and Mr.Danoyan,

I like so much these kind of discussions.After all, the spiritual universality is essential.It is the sister of the consciousness and the mother of the universal love. The rest is vain in fact.

The partitioning is relevant considering the oscillations correlated with spherical volumes of the uniqueness serie, more the rotations and motions.

The 3 motions of spheres can be understood. The pure thermodynamics and heat are essential when the groups of uniqueness are finite and precise. Pythagore and his theorems are relevant. Thales also was relevant. They had understood a lot of things for this period.

The harmony of the generality in fact was their torch. The partitioning, universal is purelly correlated with the rotating spheres. I am a musician, I play guitar and îano. The waves at my knowledge are spherical. Put a simple mass on the water.The 2d is for the plane.See the water but don't forget that the 3D spherical waves are a reality. It is there that it becomes very relevant for the convergences with the 2D and the 3D.

The Universal sphere and its spheres composes and plays the universal spherical partition of spherization in a pure general harmony.

It is fascinating indeed. The spheres play the melody of pure 3d spherization harmonization. They turn so they are.....The universal partition is still young. We evolve towards this universal eternal sphere and its spheres, quantic and cosmologic. Fascinating is a weak word.The death does not really exist. The life is eternal.:) fascinating, wonderful,the truth in fact.

Thanking you

Regards

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Sep. 5, 2012 @ 03:57 GMT
Donatello,

Everyone pays hommage to deBroglie. He predicted the wave nature of the electron! And then he gets left to history as the person who showed the dual nature of particles, when in reality he showed us pretty much the complete nature of particles.

I think of your essay as picking up where deBroglie left off.

I have a theory (digital wave theory) that is similar to yours but goes off the deep end in several ways.

You will know what I am about by taking a look at: http://www.digitalwavetheory.com/DWT/20_Experiments-_QM.html

Best of Luck

Don L.

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 5, 2012 @ 22:31 GMT
Don L,

the real value of de Broglie's ideas are sometimes forgotten or underestimated in modern physics, together with "old" ideas of other great minds of the past. 

The following historic introduction from your website could have been part of my essay [with some smal variations]: "Schrödinger attributed the quantum energies of the electron orbits in the old quantum theory of the atom to the vibration frequencies of electron matter waves around the atom's nucleus. Just as a piano string has 'a fixed tone' [a discrerized frequency spectrum], so an 'electron-wave' [electron-string] would have 'a fixed quantum of' [a give quantized spectrum of] energy. This led to much easier calculations and more familiar visualizations of atomic events than did Heisenberg's matrix mechanics, where the energy was found in an abstruse calculation."

Donatello 

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 8, 2012 @ 22:58 GMT
Dear all,

In this essay I have not included mathematical details, as the proofs of my claims have been peer-reviewed and published on Ann. Phys. and Found. Phys.

For an introduction to the formalism you may consider my essay, IV prize in the 2011 FQXi contest

"Is Reality Digital or Analog?":

Clockwork Quantum Universe by Donatello Dolce

Besides the purely digital or analog interpretations of reality there is a third possible description which incorporates important aspects of both. This is the cyclic interpretation of reality. In this scenario every elementary system is described by classical fields embedded in cyclic space-time dimensions. We will address these cyclic fields as "de Broglie internal clocks". They constitute the deterministic gears of a consistent deterministic description of quantum relativistic physics, providing in addiction an appealing formulation of the notion of time.

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan replied on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 08:55 GMT
Donatello

My essay part 1 devoted to cyclic universe.

What is your attitude to cyclic direction in cosmology?

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 09:28 GMT
Yuri,

every system can be described in terms of elementary space-time cycles describing elementary particles. A universe composed by single particle would be cyclic as a pendulum in the vacuum. An universe composed by more non-intearctiong particles, i.e. elementary space-time cycles, has an ergodic evolution. If interaction is also considered, with the corresponding modulations of space-time periodicities, the evolution is chaotic. See for instance subsection "comment and outlook" at the end of sec.1, arXiv:1110.0316.

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 09:38 GMT
Title: Compact Time and Determinism for Bosons: Foundations

Author: Donatello Dolce

Journal ref: FOUNDATIONS OF PHYSICS, Volume 41, Number 2 (2011), 178-203

arXiv: 0903.3680

Abstract: Free bosonic fields are investigated at a classical level by imposing their characteristic de Broglie periodicities as constraints. In analogy with finite temperature field theory and with extra-dimensional field theories, this compactification naturally leads to a quantized energy spectrum. As a consequence of the relation between periodicity and energy arising from the de Broglie relation, the compactification must be regarded as dynamical and local. The theory, whose foundamental set-up is presented in this paper, turns out to be consistent with special relativity and in particular respects causality. The non trivial classical dynamics of these periodic fields show remarkable overlaps with ordinary quantum field theory. This can be interpreted as a generalization of the AdS/CFT correspondence.

Keywords: Quantization – Time – Determinism – Compact dimensions – AdS/CFT

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 09:41 GMT
TitleGauge interaction as periodicity modulation

Journal ref: Annals of Physics, Volume 327, Issue 6, June 2012, Pages 1562–1592

arXiv: 1110.0315

Abstract: The paper is devoted to a geometrical interpretation of gauge invariance in terms of the formalism of field theory in compact space–time dimensions (Dolce, 2011) [8]. In this formalism, the kinematic information of an interacting elementary particle is encoded on the relativistic geometrodynamics of the boundary of the theory through local transformations of the underlying space–time coordinates. Therefore gauge interactions are described as invariance of the theory under local deformations of the boundary. The resulting local variations of the field solution are interpreted as internal transformations. The internal symmetries of the gauge theory turn out to be related to corresponding space–time local symmetries. In the approximation of local infinitesimal isometric transformations, Maxwell’s kinematics and gauge invariance are inferred directly from the variational principle. Furthermore we explicitly impose periodic conditions at the boundary of the theory as semi-classical quantization condition in order to investigate the quantum behavior of gauge interaction. In the abelian case the result is a remarkable formal correspondence with scalar QED.

Highlights:► Gauge interaction is inferred from local space–time geometrodynamics. ► Gauge symmetries are related to local space–time symmetries. ► Scalar QED is described semi-classically as modulation of periodic phenomena. ► Quantum mechanics is associated to a cyclic nature of elementary systems. ► Every free elementary particle can be regarded as a reference clock.

Keywords: Gauge invariance; Relativistic Geometrodynamics; QED; Semi-classical methods

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 09:44 GMT
Title: Classical geometry to quantum behavior correspondence in a virtual extra dimension

Journal ref: Annals of Physics, Volume 327, Issue 9, September 2012, pp 2354-2387

arXiv: 1110.0316

Abstract: In the Lorentz invariant formalism of compact space–time dimensions the assumption of periodic boundary conditions represents a consistent semi-classical quantization condition for relativistic fields. In Dolce (2011) [18] we have shown, for instance, that the ordinary Feynman path integral is obtained from the interference between the classical paths with different winding numbers associated with the cyclic dynamics of the field solutions. By means of the boundary conditions, the kinematical information of interactions can be encoded on the relativistic geometrodynamics of the boundary, see Dolce (2012) [8]. Furthermore, such a purely four-dimensional theory is manifestly dual to an extra-dimensional field theory. The resulting correspondence between extra-dimensional geometrodynamics and ordinary quantum behavior can be interpreted in terms of AdS/CFT correspondence. By applying this approach to a simple Quark–Gluon–Plasma freeze-out model we obtain fundamental analogies with basic aspects of AdS/QCD phenomenology.

Highlights: ► Quantum behavior is related to the intrinsic periodicity of isolated systems. ► A periodic phenomenon can be parameterized by a virtual extra dimension. ► KK modes are used to describe the quantum excitations. ► 5D classical geometry encodes 4D quantum behavior. ► Geometrodynamical description of AdS/QCD as modulation of space–time periodicity.

Keywords: Compact dimensions; Kaluza–Klein theory; Semi-classical methods; Relativistic geometrodynamics; AdS/CFT correspondence; Quark–Gluon–Plasma

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan replied on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 15:40 GMT
Donatello,

If I understood you correctly, you are not ready for a radical break space from time?

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 13, 2012 @ 23:13 GMT
Yuri,

In relativity space and time mix each other. QM is telling us that space-time is intrinsically cyclic in elementary systems, the periodicity is described by undulatory mechanics (think to wave-particle duality). When this is used to describes the non-relativistic limit it is possible to see the radically difference nature of time w.r.t. spatial coordinates. This limit is obtained by putting the mass to infinity (rest energy) and the momentum to zero. In undulatory mechanics, through the Planck constant, this correspods to put the time periodicity to zero and the spatial periodicity to infinity. in classical mechanics, time is extremelly compactified whereas the spatial dimensions have infinite compactifications. Thus we have an effective 3D description in which the flow of time is an emerging (relational description) phenomenon associated to the tiny periodicities of these elementary cycles (i.e. the elementary particles).

regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan replied on Sep. 14, 2012 @ 00:13 GMT
The holographic principle associates each bit within a spacelike

three volume with a two-dimensional Planck-scale area on the surface of that volume.

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 09:49 GMT
Dear all,

please, in evaluating my essay consider the difference between unproved conjectures or speculations and proved mathematical results scientifically certified through peer-review in leading physics journals. See papers above or my other publications on the subject in arXiv

best regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Christian Corda wrote on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 13:25 GMT
Hi Donatello,

Intriguing Essay. I am going to give you an high score.

You know that, together with collaborators, I try to formulate an alternative to black holes in this Essay Contest within the framework of the debate on determinism versus randomness. On the other hand, I recently tried to put some order also in the framework of black hole evaporation. In fact, Parikh and Wilzcek have shown that Hawking radiation cannot be strictly thermal. I recently used their result to show that this implies that Hawking radiation cannot be strictly continuous too. In this way, black hole's entropy becomes a function of the black hole's quantum excited state see http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.5251. In other words, there is an order in the process of black hole evaporation!!

Good luck for the Contest.

Cheers,

Ch.

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 11, 2012 @ 14:04 GMT
Hi Christian,

as I wrote in the discussion of your essay, your idea is also intriguing, as well as 't Hooft studies on black holes. It has fundamental relations with my description of elementary system as periodic phenomena, though this is link is not trivial and it is not mentioned in my essay. I hope we will find occasion to share our ideas.

Good luck,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Sanford Wagner wrote on Sep. 13, 2012 @ 21:27 GMT
Donatello

Thank you for that essay. I have been hoping to find one such as this. It also opens the door to connections with others who are realizing that music has much to do with physics, especially quantum physics.

In your essay you mention:

In physics the most groundbreaking ideas are the simple ones.

This is a principle held by many, including Einstein. However, the mathematics used to define such things as quantum mechanics is horrendous. When we consider fields as continuous in nature and mass as composed of infinitesimal points it follows that the mathematics will be very complex.

Musical mathematics, although it can become quite complex, can be reduced to very simple precepts. The structures of music are defined by the Enharmonic System. If you look up enharmonic in a dictionary it will define enharmonic as - notes that sound the same but are written differently. This is the exact opposite of what enharmonic actually means. In an enharmonic system we are dealing with notes that are written the same but sound differently.

Even a simple scale, called a diatonic scale in music, has intervallic problems. It actually takes three diatonic scales to create perfect harmony. It takes 38 scales to allow for proper tuning of the chromatic system. Most musicians do not understand the enharmonic system. If they did we certainly would not have the tonometric system. I described the tonometric system in the essay. Let me reiterate a simple example. In the tonometric system the perfect fifth (with the exception of the octave the most basic interval) looks like this:

Whereas the perfect fifth is simply:

Not only can everything in music be defined by positive integers the entire enharmonic system is comprised of the powers and multiples of just three numbers; 2, 3 and 5.

I cannot help wondering that if so much of quantum mechanics appears to be musical in nature how much could it be simplified if we really used musical principles.

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 14, 2012 @ 22:55 GMT
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your detailed reply. What you say is really fascinating. Though I cannot see your attachments, I can figure out what you say. But I would rather say that if the structure of music is defined by the Enharmonic system, the structure of sound is described by the harmonic system of a vibrating string for example. That is to say on Pythagoras studies. According to my mathematical results the axiomatic (and not intuitive) structure at the base of our description of QM can be elegantly and simply derived from the physics of a harmonic system...after all this idea is also behind orthodox string theory, though this theory is absolutely not simple from a mathematical point of view.

This also means that the other aspects of music or sound that you describe, if correctly generalized to 4D, can be used to describe important quantum phenomena in a very elegant way, an resolve some of the quantum paradoxes that we have.

Please give a look to the caption of the pictures in my web page: http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/~ddolce/

regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Sanford Wagner wrote on Sep. 13, 2012 @ 21:28 GMT
Apparently my math examples were left out. No problem as they were not really that important.

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Sanford Wagner wrote on Sep. 13, 2012 @ 22:01 GMT
Donatello

While in many ways the interior of a concert hall behaves like the interior of an instrument such as, say a trombone there is a difference that bothered me for a long time. That remarkable standing wave that was created when we performed in the Chapel of the Resurrection in Valparaiso Indiana was created by the resonances of the voices and instruments of the performers.

In a voice or an instrument the air chambers that contain the resonances are small and the wave would form virtually instantaneously. In an area the size of the Chapel there should have been a delay. The delay in that area should have been greater than a tenth of a second and would have easily be sensed but the lovely sound started immediately.

Then I remembered the first moon landing where they crashed the LEM into the surface of the moon. This caused a resonance (NASA called it resonance which is to their credit). According to NASA the moon rang like a bell for a considerable time. If the resonance was progressive the size of the moon should possibly have made the resonance impossible but apparently the resonance was instantaneous, just as with the interior of the Chapel.

The only explanation is that the resonance was already sounding. There is plenty of ambient energy in just about anything, solids, air, whatever.

On the moon it was an impulse function, much like clapping to elicit a resonance. This is usually what is done in places like Stonehenge and the old Greek theaters (not the best method) but it words to a degree. The chapel had such a dramatic response because the pitch of our performance was at or very near the fundamental frequency of the already existing resonance of the chapel.

I cannot help wondering about the resonance of an elementary particle and is it a simple as the resonance of macroscopic body.

This could be a great over-simplification or perhaps it could be something worth thinking about.

Thanks again for that great article.

Tom

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 14, 2012 @ 23:07 GMT
Hi Tom,

Probably the system that I would like to describe to explain the mass of the carrier of information and therefore the gauge symmetry breaking that we observe at LHC is more similar to the air chamber of a instrument rather than of a Chapel...but this are just hits that I am trying to work out.

I keep Reyleight's book close to my desk and I am sure that there I will find help for my hints...actually in that fundamental book about sound theory it is possible to see how an apparently abstract mathematical tool such as the Hilbert space has a very simple description and application in describing the harmonics of a sound source.

regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Sanford Wagner wrote on Sep. 14, 2012 @ 02:43 GMT
The problem with speculative thinking is that it is too easy to overlook a basic premise. While I think I am correct about the existence of a natural resonance in the moon I overlooked the fact that a resonance is not self-sustaining. There has to be an initial vibration if a resonance or a cascade of resonances if the resonance is sustainable. There must be a vibration and a feedback occurring in the moon and I will leave the argument there as I am not sure we have enough data about the internal structure of the moon.

My apologies for this but it does in no way challenge my basic argument.

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 14, 2012 @ 23:14 GMT
I do know very much about moonquake during the lunar missions. Your description could be interesting to study that phenomenon but probably this is not something questioning the foundations of physics...but it could be something questioning the foundations of the moon!

Regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Wagner replied on Sep. 18, 2012 @ 22:52 GMT
Donatello

I have read your essay 'Elementary Time Cycles' now several times. Much of the physics involved I am not really that comfortable with but I have a thought about scaling.

If we take lump of high grade steel and strike it we get a rather short clunk. If we take the same hunk of steel and fashion it into a bar much like that of a xylophone we get the same overtone structure but the sound we describe as musical. This is because more of the energy of the vibration is now directed to the lower overtones. Unlike the the clunk this sound sustains itself for a fairly long interval.

It is vibrating. A vibration can sustain itself where a resonance cannot. When we touch the tuning fork to a table top we only hear the sound from the tabletop while he tuning fork is in contact with it.

If we maintain the proportions of the steel bar and reduce the mass by one half the pitch will go up one octave. We can continue doing this and the pitch will rise every time we reduce the mass. The question is; how small can we make this bar? Even a bar that is almost microscopic will still have a great number of atoms. Would a bar with four atoms sound a pitch one octave lower than a bar with two atoms?

What the is the relation of the elementary particles of the atom to the vibration of the atom itself.

The same question can be asked regarding any harmonic structure including the overtone series itself. How similar are the musical harmonic structures to the harmonic structures you speak of in your paper?

If much of the harmonic structure mentioned in QM are defined by discrete small integers it would change the way we approach it.

Tom

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 16, 2012 @ 22:03 GMT
An answer to a problem should be simple, otherwise it is only a complication. We should always remember Galielo's lesson:

"Io stimo piu' un vero, benche' di cosa leggiera, che al disputar lungamente delle massime questioni senza conseguir verita' nissuna"

[I deem it of more value to find out a truth about however simple thing than to engage in long disputes about the greatest questions without achieving any truth], Galileo Galilei

Regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 16, 2012 @ 22:09 GMT
Dear Roger,

I do not agree with the thesis of your essay Nature Has No Faithful Mathematical Representation by Roger Schlafly. Deny the possibility of a mathematical description of reality is deny the possibility to find general objective rules to describe nature. This would be the end of natural philosophy and science of Pythagoras and Galileo. This means to give up with the effort to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Member Benjamin F. Dribus wrote on Sep. 17, 2012 @ 17:50 GMT
Dear Donatello,

I just finished reading your fascinating essay. It goes without saying that if your approach really works, then this is big news in physics. I have a few questions.

1. I can’t quite make out what global topology/geometry you are proposing. You say in your abstract that elementary particles can be described as “modulated harmonic vibrations of compact spacetime dimensions,” and you say on page 3 that “in principle, the external time axis can be dropped.” Are you suggesting that “large-scale time” is just a way of talking about different combinations of phases of a small compact time dimension?

2. I am not even sure if you are proposing a single time dimension (?)

3. In your figure 4, is the dimension around the cylinder the/a time dimension?

4. I can understand how changing the geometry could give multiple stationary-action solutions. However, it seems that there would still be a vast space of other paths, which the usual sum-over-histories formulation would want to include. Are you saying that these paths are irrelevant, or contain redundant information?

5. If you do have a small compact time dimension, I’m not quite sure how this fits with GR. Is this time dimension spatially constant? (this is really part of question 1).

6. You say that current experimental time resolution is too coarse to detect the internal clock. Do you think this will be accessible any time in the near future?

7. Are there any other experimental predictions/confirmations you are looking for?

I hope you'll bear with me on these questions... I think your essay is well-written, but it is densely packed with information, and I am not quite sure how to interpret certain aspects of it. Anyway, thanks for the enjoyable read! Take care,

Ben Dribus

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 19, 2012 @ 19:49 GMT
Hi Ben,

thank you for your comments on my essay. I present a new idea and it is not immediate to figure it out, though eventually it turns out to be extremely intuitive.

The theory indeed works spectacularly. So many mathematical results cannot be a coincidence, they point out a conceptually fascinating description of the quantum word. This description is different from our ordinary...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan replied on Sep. 19, 2012 @ 19:55 GMT
Donatello

Are you familiar with this site?

http://wwwphy.princeton.edu/~steinh/cycliccosmology.htm
l

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan wrote on Sep. 17, 2012 @ 19:52 GMT
For better clarification my approach

I sending to you Frank Wilczek’s 3 keen articles

http://ctpweb.lns.mit.edu/physics_today/phystoday/Ab
s_limits393.pdf

http://ctpweb.lns.mit.edu/physics_today/physt
oday/Abs_limits393.pdf

http://ctpweb.lns.mit.edu/physics_toda
y/phystoday/Abs_limits400.pdf

All the best

Yuri Danoyan

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Sep. 17, 2012 @ 23:35 GMT
I missed part 1

For better clarification my approach

I sending to you Frank Wilczek’s 3 keen articles

http://ctpweb.lns.mit.edu/physics_today/phystoday/Ab
s_limits388.pdf

http://ctpweb.lns.mit.edu/physics_today/physt
oday/Abs_limits393.pdf

http://ctpweb.lns.mit.edu/physics_toda
y/phystoday/Abs_limits400.pdf

All the best

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 29, 2012 @ 11:01 GMT
Hi Yuri,

I had the pleasure to attend a Wilczek's talk in Vienna last winter. He introduced the description of physics in terms of the mathematics of vibrating string showing the same picture of Pythagorus that I was using publicly since the conferen FPP10, Perth. He also introduced fundamantel aspects of quantum mechanics using the analogy of sound theory citing Reyleigh and depicted the atomic orbitals as the harmonics modes of a spheric membrane times closed orbits.

I was so imprisoned by his talk and simple arguments. His interpretations was so close to mine, that at the end of the talk I decided to speak with him about my talk. We have just spoke for a minute, but I had the impression of open minded and friendly person. It is extremely conforming to know there are still this kind of people in physics.

His is the chief editor of Ann. Phys. and this is why I have decide to publish my paper there.

Regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan replied on Sep. 29, 2012 @ 11:49 GMT
Frank Wilczek is one of the brightest minds of our time. His ideology very close to me.

http://ctpweb.lns.mit.edu/physics_today/phystoday/Alden-R
epsonse323.pdf

Question of Fundamental Constants

http://ctp.lns.mit.edu/Wilczek_Nature/MassByNum456.
pdf

Mass by numbers

Frank Wilczek http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1503#post_66513

On the World numerical recipe

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Sep. 19, 2012 @ 14:27 GMT
Dear

Very interesting to see your essay.

Perhaps all of us are convinced that: the choice of yourself is right!That of course is reasonable.

So may be we should work together to let's the consider clearly defined for the basis foundations theoretical as the most challenging with intellectual of all of us.

Why we do not try to start with a real challenge is very close and are the focus of interest of the human science: it is a matter of mass and grain Higg boson of the standard model.

Knowledge and belief reasoning of you will to express an opinion on this matter:

You have think that: the Mass is the expression of the impact force to material - so no impact force, we do not feel the Higg boson - similar to the case of no weight outside the Earth's atmosphere.

Does there need to be a particle with mass for everything have volume? If so, then why the mass of everything change when moving from the Earth to the Moon? Higg boson is lighter by the Moon's gravity is weaker than of Earth?

The LHC particle accelerator used to "Smashed" until "Ejected" Higg boson, but why only when the "Smashed" can see it,and when off then not see it ?

Can be "locked" Higg particles? so when "released" if we do not force to it by any the Force, how to know that it is "out" or not?

You are should be boldly to give a definition of weight that you think is right for us to enjoy, or oppose my opinion.

Because in the process of research, the value of "failure" or "success" is the similar with science. The purpose of a correct theory be must is without any a wrong point ?

Glad to see from you comments soon,because still have too many of the same problems.

Regard !

Hải.Caohoàng of THE INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS AND A CORRECT THEORY

August 23, 2012 - 11:51 GMT on this essay contest.

Bookmark and Share

Hou Ying Yau wrote on Sep. 19, 2012 @ 18:33 GMT
Dear Donatello,

Thanks for sharing your essay. It is very well written. It is interesting we both get the results of a relativistic quantum field but with different models. (I believe you use an unobserable extra dimension to describe periodicity and the vibrations in mine are real.) I also work on the idea for a while. Similar results and ideas were first posted in a 2007 pre-print.

To better understand your idea, I have some questions:

I believe the internal clock in your model is digital. What happens within a period is a cyclic time with a compactification radius in time.

1.Is the cyclic time the same as what we expect for a compact dimension that start at a particular time and travel back to the same time after one cycle?

2.Is it just a mathematical presentation of the periodicity?

3. Is the cyclic time physically observable?

4. Will the extra dimension create another force field like in Kaluza–Klein theory?

Best of wishes for you in the contest.

Hou Yau

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce replied on Sep. 20, 2012 @ 22:34 GMT
Dear Hou Yau,

it must be clear the my theory is purely 4D. There are not real extra-dimensions, thought the theory inherits the mathematical beauty of extra dimensional theories 1110.0316. I have worked actively on my theory since 2004 and the first official track, containing all the aspects of the theory, is 2005. The analogies of some ideas (though not fully consistently developed) of your paper should deserve a citation to my works .

I try to answer to your questions

1) A cyclic variable is something that start at a particular point and travel "forward" to the same point after one cycle.

2) A cyclic variable can be represented as a compact variable with periodic boundary conditions in order to identify the ends points.

3) The manifestation of a cyclic time is quantum mechanics in all its aspects, see my papers.

4) In my theory there are no extra dimensions. The analogous of the Kaluza miracle in my theory is the fact that particular local isomorphisms generate gauge interactions as diffeomorphisms generate gravitational interaction in general relativity.

Thank you.

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Hou Ying Yau replied on Sep. 24, 2012 @ 16:59 GMT
Dear Donatello,

Thank you for the clarifications. After reading your papers, I think I have a better idea of your approach. There are many useful information which I can use. It also inspires me how to present the paper I am writing which your papers will be included as references.

I am so glad to find someone who share a lot of common ideas. Although I emphasize on the use of a real time amplitude (a hidden variable in the model), your approach gives me a lot of new ground of thinking. I have many ideas like the extension to gravity in my 2007 pre-print (which the presenation is very crude but the idea seems to work) and some unusal properties of the wave in space and times that may have non-local features. I hope we can continue to communicate in the future or even meet one day to get your feedback and share our ideas.

Sincerely,

Hou Yau

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Sep. 20, 2012 @ 18:15 GMT
Donatello,

How do your concepts apply to identifying the peculiar properties of gravity, something scientists still struggle with and which is the subject of my essay? I must admit that I couldn't apply your concepts.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce replied on Oct. 3, 2012 @ 07:59 GMT
Hi Jim,

gravity is about clocks. Qunatum Mechanics (de Broglie) says that every particle has a Intrinsic recurrence in time (and space) so that every particle can be regarded as a clock (see Einstein's definition of relativistic clock). Interactions, including gauge interactions, are relativistic modulations of periodicity that can be encoded in local deformations of the metric, just as in general relativity, see arxiv:1110.0315.

Regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 20, 2012 @ 21:58 GMT
Dear all,

in these days I have not followed my blog because I have presented my theory at DICE2012 (Spacetime - Matter - Quantum Mechanics from the Planck scale to emergent phenomena), Castiglioncello, Italy, with extremely positive feedback. Tomorrow I will attend the conference Roberto Casalbuoni 70th Birthday.

Bookmark and Share

Member Benjamin F. Dribus wrote on Sep. 21, 2012 @ 08:52 GMT
Dear Donatello,

By the way, have you looked at Steven Weinstein's submission? I just finished reading it, and thought you might be interested. He discusses nonlocal constraints in general, and mentions a compactified time dimension. For example, compare his figure 1 with your figure 4. Also, Ken Wharton's essay involves constraints of a different type... it's not very similar to yours, but might be interesting to compare. Take care,

Ben

P.S. I also mentioned your submission to them; I hope this is OK with you!

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan wrote on Sep. 25, 2012 @ 11:03 GMT
See my discussion with George Ellis

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1337#addPost

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Sep. 29, 2012 @ 16:25 GMT
Donatello,

Your internal motion was termed "Zitterbewegung" many years ago, and, many years ago it was speculated that this internal resonance and harmonics theorof were responsible for everything particles do. While this idea is intreguing, I do not recall any advancements that forstered greater predictability then for that of standard quantum mechanics. What are your predicted measures that would superceed quantum measures?

Best Regards,

Tony DiCarlo

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on Oct. 3, 2012 @ 20:58 GMT
Dear Rony DiCarlo,

the Zitterbewegung was originally introduced by Schrodinger, but symilar ideas were also suggested by de Broglie, Sommerfeld, Dirac, Fermi, etc. It is known that Zitterbewegung provides a semi-classical description of the spin and magnetic momentum of the electron but for instance the harmonic expansion of the trembling motion has never been considered in Zitterbewegung models. If you consider this harminic expansion you can forecast great predictability of quantum behavior, from both a mathematical and conceptual point of view. This is the results of my researches. Another achievement of my theory is a relativistic covariant description of the "Zitterbewegung" in terms of space-time periodicity. My model must not be confused with the zitterbewegung tough fundamental idea is similar.

Best regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Author Donatello Dolce wrote on Sep. 30, 2012 @ 10:24 GMT
Dear all,

it seems to me that this FQXi contest "Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?" has become "Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions we would like to be Wrong?". From the community rating I don't see that the scientific criteria of evaluation have been considered. On the top of the list there are ideas that are pure conjectures. This contest suffers of the same problem of the modern academic debate: who creates more confusion and complicated problems are advantaged with respect to who try to simplify and solve problems, because this allow more people to speculate and to publish paper according to the philosophy (publish or parish). If FQXi wants to support researches on foundational physics, it should apply the scientific criteria rigorously. The objectiveness of the scientific criteria are the best guaranty for an independent researcher who want to "question the foundations" as Galileo has taught.

Best regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan replied on Sep. 30, 2012 @ 10:48 GMT
Donatello,

Better if you send this letter to Brendan Foster.

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce replied on Oct. 3, 2012 @ 20:46 GMT
Dear Yuri,

I have communicated my feedback to Foster. FQXi is one of the few hopes for independent researchers and it is doing a great job. The rigorous application of the scientific criteria is not easy, it requires efforts and time. So far the best solution seems to be the peer-review, though its defects. Must be said that the moderation system (arXiv) or discussion in blogs and forum, at this stage, do not guarantee a sufficient objectivity. But the vote of selected FQXi community members is a nice solution, that for instance could be improved  with a blind exchange of scientific arguments with the authors. 

Best regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Sep. 30, 2012 @ 19:06 GMT
Dear Donatello Dolce,

I agree with your essay and look forward to reading your references [1-3,9]. Your model appears to be isomorphic with my model and I am sure that you have developed aspects of it that I will find very relevant. I particularly look forward to your development of the "long chain of exact formal correspondences with ordinary QFT". Also to your treatment of Bell's theorem. As I understand your essay, time is the relevant "non-local" element.

My current essay, The Nature of the Wave Function, does not describe the genesis of particles in my model but assumes the particles already exist and develops the de Broglie wave due to local motion in a gravitational field. If one considers the intrinsic periodicity to be associated with the particle itself (its mass) and considers this to be a fixed quantity (~mc^2), ie, 'rest mass', then there is an *additional* local periodicity associated with kinetic energy. This is the focus of my essay. It relates to the Bohr-Sommerfeld periodicity rather than the Zitterbewegung. [My model supports particle creation and results in the Zitterbewegung, but this is not touched on in my current essay.]

I invite you to read my essay and comment. I may have some questions after I read your arXiv papers.

Best,

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

Pentcho Valev wrote on Oct. 3, 2012 @ 10:43 GMT
Donatello,

There is a wrong statement in your essay:

"At the beginning of the 19th century experiments suggested that the speed of light was constant. Einstein raised this experimental evidence to a fundamental principle of physics and he derived relativity theory."

No experiments suggested that the speed of light was constant. In 1887 the Michelson-Morley experiment unequivocally confirmed the variable speed of light predicted by Newton's emission theory of light, and refuted the assumption that the speed of light is independent of the speed of the light source:

John Norton: "These efforts were long misled by an exaggeration of the importance of one experiment, the Michelson-Morley experiment, even though Einstein later had trouble recalling if he even knew of the experiment prior to his 1905 paper. This one experiment, in isolation, has little force. Its null result happened to be fully compatible with Newton's own emission theory of light. Located in the context of late 19th century electrodynamics when ether-based, wave theories of light predominated, however, it presented a serious problem that exercised the greatest theoretician of the day."

John Norton: "The Michelson-Morley experiment is fully compatible with an emission theory of light that CONTRADICTS THE LIGHT POSTULATE."

Pentcho Valev

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce replied on Oct. 3, 2012 @ 21:53 GMT
Dear Pentcho Valev,

thank you for your remarks. For reasons of length limits I have just refered to the ordinary historical introduction of relativity in main text books. 

In that part of my essay I wanted to point out the fundamental role of the precision measurement of time in the progress of physics. Galileo has used the isochronism of the pendulum to have sufficient time accuracy to study classical dynamics. The measure (or not measure) of the constancy of the speed of light was only possible with measure of time, ( or space by means of a laser). Remarkably Galileo tried to measure the speed of light using lanterns at great distance one each other. He concluded his experiment by saying that his resolution in time was not sufficient for the measure.  With an atomic clock he could have discovered the constancy of the speed of light! Today we are reaching the critical resolution of 10^-20 s, and this could trigger a new revolution in physics such an emproved control of quantum electrodynamics dynamics. 

Best regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 04:52 GMT
If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings in the contest are calculated in the next way. Suppose your rating is
and
was the quantity of people which gave you ratings. Then you have
of points. After it anyone give you
of points so you have
of points and
is the common quantity of the people which gave you ratings. At the same time you will have
of points. From here, if you want to be R2 > R1 there must be:
or
or
In other words if you want to increase rating of anyone you must give him more points
then the participant`s rating
was at the moment you rated him. From here it is seen that in the contest are special rules for ratings. And from here there are misunderstanding of some participants what is happened with their ratings. Moreover since community ratings are hided some participants do not sure how increase ratings of others and gives them maximum 10 points. But in the case the scale from 1 to 10 of points do not work, and some essays are overestimated and some essays are drop down. In my opinion it is a bad problem with this Contest rating process. I hope the FQXI community will change the rating process.

Sergey Fedosin

Bookmark and Share

ioannis hadjidakis wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 16:59 GMT
just in time I gave you the rate you deserve for your excellent essay.

Best wishes, Ioannis

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce replied on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 18:32 GMT
Thank you Ioannis, your support will help me to carry on my challenging researches.

Regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Gary Simpson wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 22:54 GMT
You were right. I like it. Periodicity is key. It is interesting to me that Euler's Equation is a solution to so many differential equations and that it can be interpreted as a quaternion ... so by multiplying an arbitrary function by Euler's Equation, you can make that arbitrary equation rotate periodically about the unit vector in Euler .... That is quite a musical instrument in the hands of a skillful musician.

regards,

Gary Simpson

Houston, Tx

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Oct. 5, 2012 @ 08:33 GMT
Dear Donatello,

I like this article. Using boundary conditions and periodicity leads to great insights. In a talk I will give in two weeks "Global and local aspects of causality" I apply the idea that global effects (in particular boundary effects) may give the appearance of non-local effects in quantum mechanics. In the essay for the present FQXi contest I was interested in something apparently unrelated, singularities in general relativity.

Best wishes,

Cristi Stoica

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce wrote on Oct. 5, 2012 @ 17:20 GMT
Dear all,

today I passed from the 8th position, then to the 35th, then 13th and now I am at about the 50th position. Whether I will be among the finalist or not seems to be quite random. Again I must point out that the essays should be evaluated by considering the scientific validity of the results rather than the popularity of conjectures.

Best regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce wrote on Oct. 5, 2012 @ 20:53 GMT
Dear all,

I frankly thynk that the 70th place for my essay is inappropriate. Please vote my essay (though the FQXi server does not respond )because busy)

in a few hours my doughter will born and I am trying to submit posts in this contests...physics is an hard job!

regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce wrote on Oct. 9, 2012 @ 14:11 GMT
06/10/2012, 11:54 AM: Welcome Lucrezia into this crazy world.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.