Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Sergey Fedosin: on 10/4/12 at 5:54am UTC, wrote If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings...

Ke Xiao: on 10/2/12 at 21:46pm UTC, wrote Dear George, Thank you! and I will read your essay later. Best wishes.

George: on 10/2/12 at 17:46pm UTC, wrote Hi, dear Ke, I have seen your essay just now and immediately have decide...

Ke Xiao: on 9/28/12 at 16:26pm UTC, wrote Dear Edwin Eugene Klingman, I am very glad to see somebody from NASA. I...

Edwin Klingman: on 9/28/12 at 6:12am UTC, wrote Dear Ke Xiao, A very impressive essay. Thank you for contributing it. I...

Ke Xiao: on 9/26/12 at 8:20am UTC, wrote Dear Eric Stanley Reiter, You still not yet understood my idea that is...

Hoang Hai: on 9/19/12 at 13:54pm UTC, wrote Dear Very interesting to see your essay. Perhaps all of us are convinced...

Constantinos Ragazas: on 9/14/12 at 13:32pm UTC, wrote Dear Eckard, ... insightful comments, as always. Yes it is rather strange...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "State latency is an explanation for the results of Stern Gerlach experiment..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "Isn't symmetry simply closely related to redundancy even if physicist may..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Robert Rise: "Meet many types of women on ihookup. Some dates better than others. It is..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Steve Dufourny: "FQXI you too I need your help, come all too we have a work to do there..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol REVOLUTION SPHERISATION everywhere at all scales,REVOLUTION..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which the material change is happening, (to..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 24, 2019

CATEGORY: Questioning the Foundations Essay Contest (2012) [back]
TOPIC: Rethinking the Double Slit Experiment by Ke Xiao [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Ke Xiao wrote on Aug. 29, 2012 @ 12:40 GMT
Essay Abstract

The wave-particle duality relate to the space-time property of matter by Planck constant. The fine structure constant is linked to the double-slit and the uncertainty principle in Quantum Mechanics. Compton scattering and interference of double-slit is established by the cross-linked angle, and vice versa. The single-slit direction is described by Sinc-function which could combine the classical diffraction and quantum interference effect in the same experiment. This space-time model explain the experimental mystery of the double-slit.

Author Bio

An independent researcher retired from GE.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Aug. 29, 2012 @ 19:29 GMT
Dear Ke Xiao,

I like this essay. In spite of Feynman's reservations, physics needs to understand the dual slit experiment. You have done this by linking the dual slit experiment to the fine structure constant. Nice work.

Don L.

I have given some thought to Feynman's mysterious e (related to the fine structure constant). I think you might find it interesting in relation to your own work. http://www.digitalwavetheory.com/DWT/18_Feynmans_Mysterious_
"e".html

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Ke Xiao replied on Aug. 29, 2012 @ 21:00 GMT
Dear Don L.

Thanks for your response.

Cheers,

KX

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Aug. 30, 2012 @ 09:02 GMT
Ke

Fine structure relevance to the twin slit experiment and duality is well explained and, for me very agreeable. See the excellent Kingsly-Nixey essay I've just read posted the same day as yours for consistent ontological and mechanistic aspects, and my own essay also discussing Fraunhofer refraction and the wider kinetic implications of absorption and atomic scattering.

I have to admit not being a mathematician so your quantitative proofs were beyond my analysis, but from your commentary I find the important part, their foundational assumptions, should be trustworthy.

I would greatly appreciate your views on my essay, in which many readers just scanning quickly seem not to have grasped the very important kinetic relationships. I hope you'll agree your own work is consistent, but please give your views.

Thanks and best of luck.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Ke Xiao replied on Aug. 31, 2012 @ 18:57 GMT
Peter,

Thanks for the kind words!

Regards,

KX

Bookmark and Share

Constantinos Ragazas wrote on Sep. 1, 2012 @ 02:38 GMT
Dear Ke Xiao,

The double-slit experiment is a puzzlement only if we assume light is made up of particle photons following a projectile trajectory from 'source' to 'sensor'.

I have proven the following proposition: "If the speed of light is a constant, then light propagates as a wave" (see End Note II of my essay, “The Metaphysics of Physics”). Thus, the CSL Postulate of SR contradicts the Photon Hypothesis.

For this and other sound physical reasons, we should treat light to be a wave, pure and simple! And as a wave, the mystery of the double-slit experiment just goes away! In my FQXi 2011 essay, “A World Without Quanta?” I provide an explanation for the Tonomura (1989) single emission double-slit experimental results. Also, you can find my paper “A Plausible Explanation for the Double-slit Experiment in Quantum Physics” (2010) by googling the title. And two years ago I had extensive conversations on just this topic in fqxi blogs. In brief, the explanation I offer is based on the following:

1)energy propagates as a wave while it interacts discretely

2)before discrete 'manifestation' of energy there is continuous 'accumulation' of energy.

3)The 'burst' of energy emitted at the 'source' is not the same 'burst' of energy detected at the 'sensor'.

4)Energy is 'manifested' locally at the 'sensor' once a minimal threshold is reached and local equilibrium conditions occur.

Though my present essay does not directly concern the double-slit experiment, the references and ideas discussed in it have a direct connection to it. I think you will find it interesting and enjoyable to read! Please do!

Best wishes,

Constantinos

Bookmark and Share

Ke Xiao replied on Sep. 2, 2012 @ 02:11 GMT
Dear Constantibos,

Thank you for the response, and I wish you would've thought more deeply:

(1) You said: "The double-slit experiment is a puzzlement only if we assume light is made up of particle photons following a projectile trajectory from 'source' to 'sensor'."

However, look at those double-slit experiments done with electrons, can you assert that the electron is also...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Constantinos Ragazas replied on Sep. 2, 2012 @ 04:38 GMT
Dear Ke Xiao

Be assured I have given all my ideas deep thought over many years. So don't assume otherwise. But you do have every right to make constructive arguments against my claims.

I argue, "The double-slit experiment is a puzzlement only if we assume light is made up of particle photons following a projectile trajectory from 'source' to 'sensor'."

This is obviously a true...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Ke Xiao replied on Sep. 2, 2012 @ 19:28 GMT
Dear Constantibos,

You do not want to argue about the double slit experiment done with Neutron and He-atom and C-60? That is the evidence that these particles do not have a "stunt double" between "source" and "Screen", and such is the case with electron and photon. Wave-particle duality is the experimental reality, it does not matter you believe it or not.

If you can't pass the peer-review to prove the correctness of your \eta theory, you should ask yourself: Why? Is Planck, Einstein and the whole World wrong, or are you wrong? If you believe have found something like Galileo, Good luck!

Best wishes,

KX

Bookmark and Share

ABRAHAM wrote on Sep. 2, 2012 @ 10:06 GMT
Dear Ke Xiao,

Good article, but I feel it may be too heavily reliant on Math for the average reader [like myself] however I would like to offer a geometric explanation based on equilateral Energies in the hope of it 'shedding some light'on the matter for you.

I would appreciate your comments on the same, as well as my essay on Tetryonics - the Charged geometry of EM mass-ENERGY-Mater [particularly its explanation of QED processes - more detail is available on my YouTube channel]

As Tetryonics defines it with equilateral energies, Wave~Particle duality is not applicable to EM waves (& the Photons that comprise them) under the strict physical definition of a wave and a Particle (with EM waves being a 2D planar field with EM mass [E/c^2] and Matter having the properties of EM mass AND 3D volume [E/c^4] in conventional co-ordinate systems).

However if you define the Bosons & Photons comprising an EM wave as Transverse and Linear EM waveforms respectively, then a duality of EM waveforms does appear.

Wave-functions & Probability densities are the direct result of the equilateral geometries of EM energy waveforms and are easily accounted for in Tetryonics [see attached].

The mysterious Fine structure constant is determined directly from Tetryonic theory by equilateral geometry and is responsible for charge and the familiar coupling constants [see QED videos www.YouTube.com/tetryonics] - however its true value is .007539822 [inverse 132.6291192] - as opposed to the current value determined from observational measurements.

The equilateral Quantised Angular Momentum [m^2/s] of Planck's Constant is in turn directly responsible for the fundamental quanta of Charge [1/12e], the geometry of ALL Matter and the physical constants we observe.

I am only too happy to discuss at greater length many of this QED points if you need further clarification on any points [as space is obviously limited here].

attachments: Figure_38.11__WaveParticle_energies_800x600.jpg, Figure_40.14__The_Fine_Structure_Constant_800x600.jpg

Bookmark and Share

ABRAHAM replied on Sep. 2, 2012 @ 10:18 GMT
I thought I'd attach some additional illustrations specific to your essay on interference patterns for your consideration [as taken from my QED website videos].

I hope they'll help illustrate Tetryonic charge geometry's applicability to the 'problem' of wave~particle interference patterns and how they are created.

attachments: Figure_39.09__KEM_field_interference_800x600.jpg, Figure_39.10__Double_slit_experiment_800x600.jpg

Bookmark and Share

Ke Xiao replied on Sep. 2, 2012 @ 19:34 GMT
Dear Abraham,

Thank you for the response.

This essay was originally drafted for a journal of theoretical physics, passed the peer review and I'm looking for a sponsor to publish. I heard about the FQXi topic on August 28, so I just put a shortened version here. It involves some math derivation on the high-school or pre-collage level, certainly not as complicated as the QED path-integral.

According to Feynman, the double slit experiment is the "central paradox" in modern physics, and the fine structure constant is the "greatest damn mysteries of physics." I am still learning more everyday, and working very carefully trying to understand it.

I will look at your essay sometime later.

Best wishes,

KX

Bookmark and Share

Eric Stanley Reiter wrote on Sep. 10, 2012 @ 22:07 GMT
Please:

I see you are still using wave interference. I did not finish studying your article and the posted messages here in detail. You asked for experimental evidence and I have it here in my essay entry. The Unquantum Effect is the first and only serious challenge. It defies the particle aspect in these so-called particle interference experiments. We do not need to add some edge...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Ke Xiao replied on Sep. 12, 2012 @ 22:09 GMT
Dear Eric Stanley Reiter,

I feel sorry for you criticize others even before read though.

You misunderstood my essay as “still using wave interference.” My work shows that the Wave interference is caused by the Particle scattering. “In other word, there will be no interference if without relativistic quantum scattering. The fine structure constant is the magic hand behind the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Eric Stanley Reiter replied on Sep. 14, 2012 @ 07:44 GMT
I read enough. I think you did great with your math, but I disagree with your philosophy and how you used the math. I read enough to see you still use wave interference. I quote you: " This model clearly displays the particle-wave duality by particle scattering and wave-interference."

You say you do not use wave interference, then you say you do. Too confusing.

I know full well the paradox of the double slit experiment and there was no need to explain that. There is no sense of doing my experiment with visible light. I explained in my essay that the properties of the gamma are necessary to see through the photon illusion. I am not down converting hf to half frequency to make two-for-one. They are full-height pulses. After I show how to get two-for-one, I am fully justified to say there are no photons. Just to be clear: there are no photons.

A gamma ray is not like a cosmic ray (which is matter and can split). Gamma is light. If I kill the photon with gamma, photon is dead. "Shut up and calculate" are empty words in the face of an experiment that keeps working.

You have not addressed the more important issues I brought up. Are you calculating edge effects? How would you explain neutron interferometry? I can. Your arguments against me are read poor.

I like your math and it seems there is lots to learn from you about the fine structure constant. You are just hung-up on particles the way everyone else is. We can expect that.

Thank you

ER

Bookmark and Share

Ke Xiao replied on Sep. 26, 2012 @ 08:20 GMT
Dear Eric Stanley Reiter,

You still not yet understood my idea that is combined the particle-scattering and wave-interference in the double slit experiments. The paradox of double slit experiment need explanation, and so does the wave-particle duality. You said "there was need to explain that" then you are simply quitting from this topic.

How to explain your gamma-ray experiment is your job. How to approve "there is no photon" is also your problem. This essay only deal with the double slit experiment.

You said: "How would you explain neutron interferometry? I can." I like to hear that in detail.

Bookmark and Share

M. V. Vasilyeva wrote on Sep. 12, 2012 @ 22:28 GMT
Dear Ke Xiao,

interesting article, with excellent graphics. Somewhat difficult to read, due to some English errors. If you like, I could fix them for you.

I too have a geometrical explanation (in 4D) showing why both matter and light appear to move in waves in double slit experiments.

The explanation itself is not in my essay but in the last comment in my thread (topic 1547), post #50 (the last post at the moment). It was a quick write up and contains some errors, but I cannot change it now. However, the overall idea is how I see it, in 4D. The example is given on an analogy with a fictional world with one dimension removed.

I would very much value your feedback.

xie xie

Bookmark and Share

Ke Xiao replied on Sep. 12, 2012 @ 22:44 GMT
Dear M. V. Vasilyeva,

Thank you very much if you can help me on the English. I have four books published in Chinese but always feel uncertainty when talking English. Please send my an email (my email is in the essay).

I will look at your essay.

Yours

KX

Bookmark and Share

M. V. Vasilyeva replied on Sep. 13, 2012 @ 19:15 GMT
Done! They were very minor corrections. It could be too late for this contest, but I hope you can use them to get your work published.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Sep. 19, 2012 @ 13:54 GMT
Dear

Very interesting to see your essay.

Perhaps all of us are convinced that: the choice of yourself is right!That of course is reasonable.

So may be we should work together to let's the consider clearly defined for the basis foundations theoretical as the most challenging with intellectual of all of us.

Why we do not try to start with a real challenge is very close and are the focus of interest of the human science: it is a matter of mass and grain Higg boson of the standard model.

Knowledge and belief reasoning of you will to express an opinion on this matter:

You have think that: the Mass is the expression of the impact force to material - so no impact force, we do not feel the Higg boson - similar to the case of no weight outside the Earth's atmosphere.

Does there need to be a particle with mass for everything have volume? If so, then why the mass of everything change when moving from the Earth to the Moon? Higg boson is lighter by the Moon's gravity is weaker than of Earth?

The LHC particle accelerator used to "Smashed" until "Ejected" Higg boson, but why only when the "Smashed" can see it,and when off then not see it ?

Can be "locked" Higg particles? so when "released" if we do not force to it by any the Force, how to know that it is "out" or not?

You are should be boldly to give a definition of weight that you think is right for us to enjoy, or oppose my opinion.

Because in the process of research, the value of "failure" or "success" is the similar with science. The purpose of a correct theory be must is without any a wrong point ?

Glad to see from you comments soon,because still have too many of the same problems.

Regard !

Hải.Caohoàng of THE INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS AND A CORRECT THEORY

August 23, 2012 - 11:51 GMT on this essay contest.

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Sep. 28, 2012 @ 06:12 GMT
Dear Ke Xiao,

A very impressive essay. Thank you for contributing it.

I hope you can explain a few things for me. First, in your equation (2) you have two equal signs. The first equal sign is of course the definition of the fine structure constant. It is the second equal sign that I am confused about. Are you saying that (alpha)(h_bar) is *always* the value (p.r - Et) or are you specifically instead choosing a case where it is assumed to be true? If it is always true, then all wave functions would simply have the same constant phase, would they not?

My next question is whether this relation is actually used in the calculations? On page 3 you use alpha in the Compton wavelength, but it is not clear to me that it is related to (p.r - Et) as much as to the geometry of the double slit experiment. Perhaps I am confused.

My next question is whether the Compton scattering is with a bound electron in the slit edge?

I think your essay is very important and I would like to understand it. Perhaps after I understand these points I will be able to ask further questions.

Although the question of the value of the fine structure constant (and Boltzmann's constant) are very important, as they couple and/or scale the physics, I am most interested in understanding your explanation of the physics of the double slit.

Thank you for your response.

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

Ke Xiao replied on Sep. 28, 2012 @ 16:26 GMT
Dear Edwin Eugene Klingman,

I am very glad to see somebody from NASA. I was a project leader for NASA and DOE program at 1980s. You also asked the good questions:

(1) In the equation (2), the first equal sign with + and - are for the different charges e2/c, and importantly, the second equal sign link to the same dimensional pr and Et. However, The value of (p.r-Et) may be not "always" equal. If you understand the concept of Heisenberg S-matrix (scattering matrix), you will better understand this equation.

(2) The particle scattering is a very complicated process, depending the type of particles. Therefore, the free electron and bonding electron must calculated differently. I remember Feynman have calculated the bonding electron for the magnetic momentum, and claimed the Schwinger relation of free electron anomaly ae=alpha/2pi should also worked for the bonding electron. However, there are always small difference on the higher order calculations.

(3) My essay here is a shorten version of the original paper accepted for the Journal of theoretical physics. I did not rewrite it for the "Questioning the Foundations: Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?" Therefore, I did not claim the incorrectness of Huygens-Fresnel drawing in classical physics text book. In fact, we all taught wrong at high school, then confused in the rest of life. Many people think they know the double slit but in fact not. This is a central problem for the quantum theory as Feynman point out.

(4) My essay shows the real calculations for many different types of the double slit experiments. The most importantly, how the two slit are linked together in equation (6). I am trying to show how particle-scattering and wave-interference worked together as the space-time model. Please sent an email if you like to talk more (address in my essay)

Yours,

Ke Xiao

Bookmark and Share

George wrote on Oct. 2, 2012 @ 17:46 GMT
Hi, dear Ke,

I have seen your essay just now and immediately have decide give 10 ball for it(as per as I known your works already!) I hope you will find some time to study mine work and apprised it.

essay

Best wishes,

Bookmark and Share

Ke Xiao replied on Oct. 2, 2012 @ 21:46 GMT
Dear George,

Thank you! and I will read your essay later.

Best wishes.

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 05:54 GMT
If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings in the contest are calculated in the next way. Suppose your rating is
and
was the quantity of people which gave you ratings. Then you have
of points. After it anyone give you
of points so you have
of points and
is the common quantity of the people which gave you ratings. At the same time you will have
of points. From here, if you want to be R2 > R1 there must be:
or
or
In other words if you want to increase rating of anyone you must give him more points
then the participant`s rating
was at the moment you rated him. From here it is seen that in the contest are special rules for ratings. And from here there are misunderstanding of some participants what is happened with their ratings. Moreover since community ratings are hided some participants do not sure how increase ratings of others and gives them maximum 10 points. But in the case the scale from 1 to 10 of points do not work, and some essays are overestimated and some essays are drop down. In my opinion it is a bad problem with this Contest rating process. I hope the FQXI community will change the rating process.

Sergey Fedosin

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.