Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Thomas Garcia: on 10/4/12 at 15:00pm UTC, wrote To me, Sergey, the question is, does the process allow the intent of the...

Sergey Fedosin: on 10/4/12 at 7:14am UTC, wrote If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings...

Thomas Garcia: on 10/2/12 at 17:13pm UTC, wrote Thank you Sergey, for reading and assessing my essay. If you are asking me...

Thomas Garcia: on 10/2/12 at 16:53pm UTC, wrote Sorry, my apologies; I misquoted myself! Time passes INversely...

Sergey Fedosin: on 10/2/12 at 14:20pm UTC, wrote After studying about 250 essays in this contest, I realize now, how can I...

Thomas Garcia: on 9/27/12 at 15:18pm UTC, wrote Dear Hoang Cao Hai, Thank you for your comments. I have indeed made my...

Hoang Hai: on 9/27/12 at 14:11pm UTC, wrote Dear Thomas Garcia Why do not you boldly make a specific conclusion about...

Hou Ying Yau: on 9/27/12 at 3:20am UTC, wrote Dear Thomas, Thank you for reading my paper. When I first saw your paper,...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "Isn't symmetry simply closely related to redundancy even if physicist may..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Robert Rise: "Meet many types of women on ihookup. Some dates better than others. It is..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Steve Dufourny: "FQXI you too I need your help, come all too we have a work to do there..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol REVOLUTION SPHERISATION everywhere at all scales,REVOLUTION..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which the material change is happening, (to..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 24, 2019

CATEGORY: Questioning the Foundations Essay Contest (2012) [back]
TOPIC: On the Nature of Time by Thomas Garcia [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author THOMAS GARCIA wrote on Aug. 10, 2012 @ 12:47 GMT
Essay Abstract

My primary premise about time given 1st paragraph "Time is a property of matter and passes at rates inversely proportional to an object's speed." I propose to show my premise is as relevant to science as was Einstein's Relativity postulates. I explain my research tactics and the results show my ideas are difficult to understand even though there is no math included. I explain that I think I know why my ideas are new and logical, and they're supported by confirmed evidence. I explain how scientists have come to see time in ways that preclude discovering what time is. In the 2nd section, I propose there is no such things as warps and curvings of space and time and that such terms are unscientific. I provide two examples of time dilation to help readers as I wish I had been helped at first. I explain precisely what time dilation is and why it occurs. Section 2 argues that time and space are not dependent upon each other as Einstein claimed, and offer clear explanations why they are not. The 3rd section includes more examples of what has caused people to make errors in critical thinking. After that is a summary focused on my initial premise with regard to how it fits without conflict with some issues but not with others. My intention is to help readers realize conformity is good to certain extents, but beyond that it can stifle our capacity to be objective in finding the truth about our world. The issues I touch on in this brief essay are not just issues in science but issues that keep us inside the so-called "box."

Author Bio

BA at U. Houston '74. Sociology major with strong interest in science courses. Have written mounds of notes and references, decided to complete this essay for contest. Retired from state agency, USAF veteran. Love to read and write about science but get lost in heavy math. Good IQ with high objectivity level. Classic car collector (7 cars, 2 trucks). Also collect US coins and sport cards. Whew!

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Aug. 11, 2012 @ 16:39 GMT
Dear Mr. Garcia,

As a not particularly well educated layman, I would like to thank you for the clarity of your exceptionally instructive essay. Although I pointed out in my essay Sequence Consequence that I did not believe that there was such a thing as time, your erudite writing on this matter has served to convince me that I am correct in my belief. One Universe could only ever have one motion in one dimension for one eternal duration once. I do not see how visible light could possibly move seeing that light only becomes visible when the radiant from the light source adheres to a surface, never mind that light could move at a constant speed.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Thomas replied on Aug. 11, 2012 @ 17:47 GMT
Dear Mr. Fisher,

Thanks for your warm and comforting response to my essay. I was afraid I was cutting out too much to make it fit and still be understandable. Your comments made my day!

For some unknown reason to me, I am unable to download your essay. I will try again and post a comment on it.

Bookmark and Share

John Merryman wrote on Aug. 18, 2012 @ 18:27 GMT
Thomas,

An interesting essay and you are definitely correct in many of your insights as to problems with current physics. A few points though;

If you are going to do away with the concept of the "fabric of spacetime," as causation, then you have to throw out the entire expanding universe model, because it is based on this warpable fabric and consider other, optical reasons for cosmic redshift. Here is a possibility worth considering. I also offered a possible analogy in my entry in the Digital vs. Analog contest.

Also a major contradiction I mention in my essay is that the Big Bang model still assumes a constant speed of light, even though the very fabric of the space being measured is supposed to be expanding. While I've mention this many times, about the only response anyone came up with is that C is measured locally, not galactically, but that overlooks the fact our universal galactic measure of distance is lightyears. If there are more lightyears between expanded objects, that's not expanding space, just an increased amount of stable space.

You are correct that speed is a factor in clock rates. The reason is that since nothing can travel faster than C and the rate of electron spin/vibration within atomic structure is close to C, when mass is accelerated, this internal activity is forced to slow, in order that the combination of external velocity and internal activity not exceed C. So any clock in an accelerated frame records a slower rate of change. Gravitational drag has the same effect. That's why clocks on GPS satellites are faster than ones on earth and have to be adjusted accordingly. It also explains why an accelarate object will shrink, as its atomic structure is flattened.

What this suggests to me is that space does amount to an inertial frame, such that it sets the speed of light in a vacuum. A good example of this, as opposed to motion being entirely relative to other motion, is centrifugal force. Consider an object in the void of intergalactic space. Logically, if it's spinning, it will still exert centrifugal force on its components, relative to the rate of spin, even if there are no other observable references to otherwise measure this spin. The only frame is space itself, with no properties to be bent, warped bounded etc. Only an infinite inertia of Euclidian space.

The reason C is a constant is because it is the point at which all internal energy is converted to linear velocity. Light has no structure. The notion that time stops for something falling into a black hole, but progresses for an observer outside would be like saying time stopped for that log I threw in the fire, because it turned into light, but continues for me.

Good luck in the contest.

John

Bookmark and Share

Tom Garcia wrote on Aug. 20, 2012 @ 15:16 GMT
I did not propose to do away with the idea of S-T as “causation,” as you put it, John. IMO, S-T can cause nothing but provide us with information about events that could occur to objects moving in space. S-T is not a physical place in space, nor is it any kind of a force that can bend or warp space. It is instead a math construct, i.e., a tool, invented to enable calculations of events in...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

John Merryman replied on Aug. 20, 2012 @ 16:21 GMT
Tom,

That's my point. You do not view spacetime as causation, only as a model of relationships, but then in the end of your essay, you assume the veracity of some form of expanding universe, based on the evidence of cosmic redshift, yet that entire idea requires the assumption of spacetime as causation. If you get rid of spacetime, then space is just empty void and redshift is due to some form of optical effect, not because the expansion of space is pushing the other galaxies away.

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on Aug. 20, 2012 @ 18:25 GMT
John,

I said I am "working on it," meaning I have not decided 1 way or other re: the issue of space expansion. I just wrote some probs with it that need to be overcome before it will hold water for me.

Getting "rid" of s-t is not my intention at all. I want to separate it from reality as being no more than just an imaginary tool and not a place as many have come to believe. Relativity uses s-t as a good tool; Classical physics does not need it because time is real and so is space. A.E. made both interdependent wrt each other, but in real life that is untrue. In real life, space is not dependent on time, so Einstein's interdependence is false. The interdependence premise is like an = sign in our math tools. I have on occasion been called names for such heresy.

Bookmark and Share

John Merryman replied on Aug. 21, 2012 @ 02:21 GMT
Tom,

The ridiculous irony is that even if space is stretchy, it doesn't mean the universe is expanding. According to Einstein, gravity collapses space and he originally proposed the cosmological constant to balance it. I long ago, late eighties, read that for the universe to be a stable as it is, the expansion and gravitational contraction had to be roughly proportional. It occurred to me then that some form of convective cycle of expansion and contraction would be a far simpler explanation. Since then COBE and WMAP have measured background radiation to prove space is effectively flat. They discovered in '98 that the rate of expansion doesn't match what was predicted by Big Bang theory, but more closely matches a cosmological constant. Rather than review why Einstein proposed it in the first place, it is now called "dark energy." The explanation for why space appears flat is supposed to be due to inflation expanding it so much, that local space only appears flat, much as a small part of the earth's surface appears flat. So it's not like there is no evidence or theory to support other views.

Now when gravity "warps" space, it certainly doesn't cause the source of the light to move, just because we see it distorted. It's a lensing effect. I think that once they begin to think of light as only a particle when absorbed and not traveling for billions of years as a point particle, but as a wave, then the solution for redshift will be quite simple to figure out.

Bookmark and Share

Chris Kennedy wrote on Sep. 15, 2012 @ 15:59 GMT
Tom,

I think we are on the same page on some of the relativity issues you raise. However our approaches are very different. You use the famous light clock on the train axperiment (just follow the bouncing photon) along with raising issues about properties of space. I purposely don't do any of that to keep the focus on one specific thing: The relationship between motion and clocks and what the evidence shows about those two things specifically.

You raise an important issue concerning possible absolute motion of the Earth around the Sun, Sun around the galaxy, galaxy racing through space, etc..

An even better observation is that the speed of various galaxies would affect their calculations of the actual age of the universe! I also made that connection a few years ago and brought attention to it on Julian Barbour's thread, but it turns out David Wiltshire beat us both to it discussing that in his essay in a previous FQXi contest. Great minds think alike.

I don't know if you ventured over to Peter Jackson's thread yet but if you are incorporating the famous ceiling-to-floor-to-ceiling light clock in your analysis, he has studied that extensively and would be a good person to have that conversation with.

Good Luck.

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Sep. 21, 2012 @ 16:11 GMT
Thomas

Nice to read a straight up no bull**** approach to physics. And I agree you're largely correct, but incomplete in one important way. I was trying to decide whether to write this at all when I read Chris's reference above, thanks Chris. Also read my last years essay on the similar 'Light Box' Gedanken. http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/803

I'll give you the credit to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Garcia wrote on Sep. 21, 2012 @ 21:55 GMT
Hello Peter,

Thanks for reading my essay and especially for commenting on it. I put off reading yours because I am very busy this election year. I will comment on what is in your post but I will read your essay too.

I agree speed can only be measured relatively to another body, but because everything observable is in motion, no object can be “at rest” as a physical reality. ...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

hou ying yau wrote on Sep. 23, 2012 @ 04:04 GMT
Thomas,

I have a different idea about matter and space time that I hope can be of some interest to you. I find that the zero spin quantum field can be reconciled from a system with vibrations in space and time. The model has some unique features that seem to be extendable to gravity and non-locality of quantum theory.

Is there really no reality in quantum theory

Best wishes for you in the contest.

Hou Yau

Bookmark and Share

Author THOMAS GARCIA replied on Sep. 23, 2012 @ 11:04 GMT

To: hou ying yau

Thank you for reading my essay. I will read yours and post comments on it, to the extent of my understanding of it. Good luck to you as well.

Bookmark and Share

Hou Ying Yau replied on Sep. 24, 2012 @ 15:52 GMT
Dear Thomas,

Do you still have trouble up loading the essay? I opened it from my link and it looks OK. May be bad connection. I realize your e-mail address is not listed or I can e-mail a copy to you. My e-mail is hyau@fdnresearch.us

Hou Yau

Bookmark and Share

Hou Ying Yau replied on Sep. 27, 2012 @ 03:20 GMT
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for reading my paper. When I first saw your paper, I realize we share some common thinking that matter has something to do with time. This is something I believe may be true. Although I may have a different opinion, your thinking has a good score from me.

Sincerely

Hou Yau

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Sep. 24, 2012 @ 16:58 GMT
Dear Thomas,

What do you think about time rate which is changed at different levels of matter, according to the Theory of Infinite Nesting of Matter (subject of my essay). Sergey Fedosin

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Garcia replied on Sep. 26, 2012 @ 14:22 GMT
Hello, Sergey. Your question may depend on the validity of the selection process of the "different levels" of matter. I will read your essay and comment on it.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Sep. 27, 2012 @ 14:11 GMT
Dear Thomas Garcia

Why do not you boldly make a specific conclusion about the nature of time, after you was to analyze.

Remember to check out my essay.

Kind Regards !

Hải.Caohoàng of THE INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS AND A CORRECT THEORY

August 23, 2012 - 11:51 GMT on this essay contest.

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Garcia replied on Sep. 27, 2012 @ 15:18 GMT
Dear Hoang Cao Hai,

Thank you for your comments. I have indeed made my "bold" conclusion about time, and I put it at the very beginning, as well as in various locations of my essay. For those who may have missed it, here it is again: "Time is a property of matter and passes versely proportional to an object's speed."

That provides the "Why?" for Relativity's "How" explanations about time and leads us to explain, or at least to offer alternative explanations to the many problems caused in not having solved the mysteries about time.

I will read your essay and comment on it as best I can.

Good luck to you in the contest.

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Garcia replied on Oct. 2, 2012 @ 16:53 GMT
Sorry, my apologies; I misquoted myself! Time passes INversely proportional to an object's speed.

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Oct. 2, 2012 @ 14:20 GMT
After studying about 250 essays in this contest, I realize now, how can I assess the level of each submitted work. Accordingly, I rated some essays, including yours.

Cood luck.

Sergey Fedosin

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Garcia wrote on Oct. 2, 2012 @ 17:13 GMT
Thank you Sergey, for reading and assessing my essay. If you are asking me how to best rate essays, this is how I do it:

I suggest a reader should search carefully for misapplications of what are accepted truths, misunderstandings of cited theory and/or any tenets of a hypotheses including all its premises.

Ensure there is logical consistency throughout the paper, which requires a dogged focus that leaves no gaps in explaining both the how and the why of the topic, even if it leads to conjecture. Conjecture must be the best of all possible conclusions and explanations, not just the one preferred by the author. All possible conclusions and explanations must be examined, along with the author's reason(s) for selecting the one over the others.

Good luck to you in the contest.

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 07:14 GMT
If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings in the contest are calculated in the next way. Suppose your rating is
and
was the quantity of people which gave you ratings. Then you have
of points. After it anyone give you
of points so you have
of points and
is the common quantity of the people which gave you ratings. At the same time you will have
of points. From here, if you want to be R2 > R1 there must be:
or
or
In other words if you want to increase rating of anyone you must give him more points
then the participant`s rating
was at the moment you rated him. From here it is seen that in the contest are special rules for ratings. And from here there are misunderstanding of some participants what is happened with their ratings. Moreover since community ratings are hided some participants do not sure how increase ratings of others and gives them maximum 10 points. But in the case the scale from 1 to 10 of points do not work, and some essays are overestimated and some essays are drop down. In my opinion it is a bad problem with this Contest rating process. I hope the FQXI community will change the rating process.

Sergey Fedosin

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Garcia wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 15:00 GMT
To me, Sergey, the question is, does the process allow the intent of the contest to be achieved?

As the rules stand today, it could happen. The problem is not due so much to the essayer's ratings of others' essays,or that apparently one can vote for himself, but it is due to the fact that the results depend on the non-essayers judges adherence to the very specific rules under which they must judge the essays.

The most interesting entries must be those of concepts consistent with known facts and which are falsifiable. They must be written in layperson's terms as much as possible for non-professional fans of science to better understand.

The only value given to essayer's ratings should be no more than a grain of salt simply because, IMO, I immediately saw many that appeared to be posted just to show they garnered great interest from friends.

That Man is corruptible is an undeniable fact of life. For the intents of the contest to emerge as desired, we must hope the judges can select the many that adhere strongly to the rules first, then from those, select the ones most likely to represent reality.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.