Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jin He: on 10/5/12 at 15:41pm UTC, wrote FRS George F R Ellis just said that many posts on 2012 FQXI contest are...

JB: on 10/5/12 at 14:53pm UTC, wrote Moral of the story...you are trying to explain the nature of the Game, when...

Jin He: on 10/5/12 at 11:21am UTC, wrote I rate yours 10 on 10/5/2012

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 10/5/12 at 9:47am UTC, wrote In addition ... the truth about ... Alexander Zenkin wrote a good article...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 10/5/12 at 9:11am UTC, wrote Dear Juan! Serious humor ... Properly, begin to answer the questions of...

Armin Nikkhah Shirazi: on 10/4/12 at 8:02am UTC, wrote Dear Juan, I found your essay rather unique and with a great sense of...

Sergey Fedosin: on 10/4/12 at 7:35am UTC, wrote If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings...

Sergey Fedosin: on 10/2/12 at 16:14pm UTC, wrote After studying about 250 essays in this contest, I realize now, how can I...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: ""The motion of the solar system, and the orientation of the plane of the..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Jim Snowdon: "On the permanently dark side of the Earth, the stars would appear to stay..." in The Nature of Time

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Jorma, some thoughts; You mention mutual EM connection. I think you..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

akash hasan: "Some students have an interest in researching and space exploration. I..." in Announcing Physics of the...

Michael Jordan: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Anonymous: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Constructing a Theory of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi FORUM
May 26, 2019

CATEGORY: Questioning the Foundations Essay Contest (2012) [back]
TOPIC: A Fable by Juan Enrique Ramos Beraud [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Juan Enrique Ramos Beraud wrote on Aug. 7, 2012 @ 10:24 GMT
Essay Abstract

A fable about the assumption of forgetting all assumptions. The moral of the fable is left open for reader to fill. Nevertheless the notes and references are important to understand the fable.

Author Bio

Juan E. Ramos Beraud: Bachelor in science studies on Mathematics (UNAM). Studies on Machine Structure (UC Berkeley). General Director and V.P. of Technology of S&C Constructores de Sistemas (a 300 employee IT company). Husband. Father of three. Marathon runner. Friend of my friends. Once a year -more or less- I submit an essay to fqxi.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Israel Perez wrote on Aug. 7, 2012 @ 18:43 GMT
Dear Juan

I read your very short essay but to be honest I did not get the moral. I am curious about it. Would you be kind to give some comments. As well, I invite you to read my essay The PREFERRED SYSTEM Of REFERENCE RELOADED I hope you find it interesting.

Good luck in the contest

Israel

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Juan Enrique Ramos Beraud replied on Aug. 8, 2012 @ 02:37 GMT
Israel:

I've read your essay already. I didn't want to submit any comment until I had my essay published.

Since my essay is up, I will start commenting several of the essays I find interesting.

You'll find some comment on your essay's thread later.

About your comment here and some quick thoughts:

Philosophically I think your essay and mine take quite opossite positions; nevertheless they are so distant they can touch.

A preferred system of reference might be seen as an assumption based on the need of "absolutes". And the only "absolute" I would assume is perception and measurement.

Although, also your proposition on a preferred system of reference can be seen a very usefull tool to calculate things; as it has been for centuries. I will gladly support anything that facilitates prediction. A preferred system of reference is almost always used-needed to create virtual reality when several player-users, each of them with its own VR engine, interact with each other.

Bookmark and Share

Israel Perez replied on Aug. 8, 2012 @ 06:06 GMT
Dear Juan

Thanks for your reply. I'll looking forward to receiving any comments from you. I would like to mention only that the preferred system of reference is suggested above all by light.

Israel

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Aug. 8, 2012 @ 14:30 GMT
Dear Mr. Beraud,

I thought your fable about a a smart monkey was fabulous. The moral I obtained from my reading of it was: whatever you do, always start from scratch.

Bookmark and Share

Author Juan Enrique Ramos Beraud wrote on Aug. 8, 2012 @ 20:31 GMT
Joe:

I am glad you find my Fable fabulous. -It is a fable after all. Thank you.

Fables, and several other types of literature, are great because there is a moral -interpretation- for each reader.

The porpoise of the contest is to find which assumptions are wrong.

Any assumption might be wrong if not tested, and if something is tested is not an assumption.

So yes, even it is not the moral I thought, what you obtained is a great way to interpret the fable.

As stated in a comment before this one, I'll be sending some posts on the different essays I find interesting now that my essay is published. Your essay is one I've read and I should comment shortly.

In the mean time and as a quick thought I think your essay and mine tend to the same line of thought:

Each human can find her/his own truth, but no one should pretend to have a general truth for all.

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Aug. 15, 2012 @ 23:46 GMT
Juan,

I would say that your fable says to assume nothing and consider all possibilities. In my own essay I cannot claim to do that but do try to evaluate empirical data, even data that is ridiculed.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Author Juan Enrique Ramos Beraud replied on Aug. 18, 2012 @ 04:24 GMT
James:

Thanks for your comment.

I have read your essay quickly, but I better read it again and leave a comment on your thread.

Thanks again and good luck.

Juan

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Aug. 21, 2012 @ 17:39 GMT
Juan

I suggest; "think small" is the lessen to be learned if the smallest answer is always true, with which I agree.

Indeed it is for this reason I found there may indeed be no moon if nobody is looking. The observer is an integral part of the process, at the tiniest scale, the implications of which far more important than have been realised.

My essay deals with precisely this. I do hope you can have a go at the kinetic visualization which should bring unification. I too have some fun with some characters.

So did the monkey find this all before humankind? Would that be a shock?

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Sep. 25, 2012 @ 13:34 GMT
Dear Juan,

In the Theory of Infinite Nesting of Matter (subject of my essay) the answers to your questions are possible: 1). The universe may be has no acceleration. 2). Time is a construction for measuring of speeds of processes with regard to clocks as a standard processes. 3). The science is developing as living beings, sometimes it stopped then rise again. The limit of science...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry wrote on Oct. 1, 2012 @ 05:26 GMT
Dear Juan,

I've read your entry. I was rather puzzled until I noticed your explanation to Joe.Now it makes more sense. I'm not sure if what you wrote was intentional- Quote: "The porpoise of the contest is to find which assumptions are wrong." It paints a very bizarre picture in my mind.

Your point in that post -about the truth as it appears to an individual not necessarily being a universal truth that is applicable to another is good.You could have developing the ideas into a longer essay. Making it more of a quirky and unusual essay rather than predominately quirk without the satisfying substance. I'm sorry if that sounds unkind, its not meant to be. I just think since you made the effort to enter you could have done more.

Kind regards to you, Georgina.

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Oct. 2, 2012 @ 16:14 GMT
After studying about 250 essays in this contest, I realize now, how can I assess the level of each submitted work. Accordingly, I rated some essays, including yours.

Cood luck.

Sergey Fedosin

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 07:35 GMT
If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings in the contest are calculated in the next way. Suppose your rating is
and
was the quantity of people which gave you ratings. Then you have
of points. After it anyone give you
of points so you have
of points and
is the common quantity of the people which gave you ratings. At the same time you will have
of points. From here, if you want to be R2 > R1 there must be:
or
or
In other words if you want to increase rating of anyone you must give him more points
then the participant`s rating
was at the moment you rated him. From here it is seen that in the contest are special rules for ratings. And from here there are misunderstanding of some participants what is happened with their ratings. Moreover since community ratings are hided some participants do not sure how increase ratings of others and gives them maximum 10 points. But in the case the scale from 1 to 10 of points do not work, and some essays are overestimated and some essays are drop down. In my opinion it is a bad problem with this Contest rating process. I hope the FQXI community will change the rating process.

Sergey Fedosin

Bookmark and Share

Armin Nikkhah Shirazi wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 08:02 GMT
Dear Juan,

I found your essay rather unique and with a great sense of humor, which I'm afraid might have gotten lost one some. Also, while the shortness of your essay should have been a boon to the ambitious reader who wants to read all 272 essays, it might have provoked less of a thoughtful response than it deserved.

I was a little thrown off by the video game bit at the end, but then the point you made to Joe about tested assumptions no longer being assumptions made this perfectly sensible to me. One might argue that there is a lot of richness hidden beneath this statement, as not all tests are equal in how well they refute or confirm an assumption, and not all assumptions are equal in who much testing they require before they are considered confirmed or refuted, but certainly if one can create a faithful model of reality with a simulation then the assumptions underlying that simulation may be considered tested and no longer assumptions.

All the best,

Armin

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Oct. 5, 2012 @ 09:11 GMT
Dear Juan!

Serious humor ...

Properly, begin to answer the questions of fundamental physics to a famous phrase of Descartes: "Cogito ergo sum", armed with the Scriptures of the First Axiom, "In the Beginning Was the Logos ..."

And "Occam's Razor" is useful in a way ...

Good luck in the contest!

Sincerely, Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on Oct. 5, 2012 @ 09:47 GMT
In addition ... the truth about ...

Alexander Zenkin wrote a good article for thought (and not only for mathematicians): "SCIENTIFIC COUNTER-REVOLUTION IN MATHEMATITSS." He made a good conclusion: "..the truth should be drawn and should be presented to" an unlimited circle "of spetstators" ...

That is represented, as I understand it, in a simple integral symbol. This is well said Edmund Husserl: "Only to the extent, to which in case of idealization, the general content of spatio-temporal sphere is apodictically taken into account, which is invariant in all imaginable variations, ideal formation may arise, that will be clear in any future for all generations and in such form will be transferable by the tradition and reproducible in identical intersubjective sense "("Beginning of the Geometry").

Bookmark and Share

Jin He wrote on Oct. 5, 2012 @ 11:21 GMT
I rate yours 10

on 10/5/2012

Bookmark and Share

JB wrote on Oct. 5, 2012 @ 14:53 GMT
Moral of the story...you are trying to explain the nature of the Game, when it is nothing more than an Illusion.

This monkey has an innate curiousity to understand the Illusion, whether it is possible or not...

Bookmark and Share

Jin He wrote on Oct. 5, 2012 @ 15:41 GMT
FRS George F R Ellis just said that many posts on 2012 FQXI contest are trash.

Stephen Hawking went to China to cheat money and fame. FRS G F R Ellis came to FQXI to cheat money and fame. They thought they could save Physics. Amazing!!

But they and their assouciates can control physics on Earth indeed.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.