Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Georgina Parry: on 11/27/12 at 19:20pm UTC, wrote "Giving graphene the bends makes it transistor ready"New Scientist. ...

Georgina Parry: on 10/16/12 at 20:16pm UTC, wrote Your 'biography' was probably also a deterrent to some potential readers...

Georgina Parry: on 10/15/12 at 1:14am UTC, wrote Quote: It has been, as Max Tegmark, a cosmologist at the Massachusetts...

Georgina Parry: on 10/11/12 at 5:05am UTC, wrote Dear Kyle, I don't know why your inteligent and beautifully crafted essay...

Sergey Fedosin: on 10/4/12 at 9:45am UTC, wrote If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings...

Hoang Hai: on 10/1/12 at 5:23am UTC, wrote Dear Kyle Miller If you agree with the concept of "reductionist" please...

Benjamin Dribus: on 9/28/12 at 0:54am UTC, wrote Dear Kyle, I just finished reading your interesting submission, which I...

Georgina Parry: on 8/20/12 at 23:38pm UTC, wrote ..and in keeping with quantum theory uncertainty reigns! You could be in...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "Isn't symmetry simply closely related to redundancy even if physicist may..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Robert Rise: "Meet many types of women on ihookup. Some dates better than others. It is..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Steve Dufourny: "FQXI you too I need your help, come all too we have a work to do there..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol REVOLUTION SPHERISATION everywhere at all scales,REVOLUTION..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which the material change is happening, (to..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 23, 2019

CATEGORY: Questioning the Foundations Essay Contest (2012) [back]
TOPIC: The Quantum Supremacy by Kyle Miller [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Kyle Miller wrote on Jun. 15, 2012 @ 12:24 GMT
Essay Abstract

The following essay considers the assumptions in reductionist thinking and how they pertain to the search for quantum gravity. Other perspectives are presented and various examples are contemplated.

Author Bio

Kyle Miller has worked in a physics lab.

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry wrote on Jul. 14, 2012 @ 08:48 GMT
Dear Kyle Miller,

I enjoyed reading your essay very much. It is full of interesting things and it is very beautifully and skill-fully written. I don't agree with everything you said but you said it so nicely I don't really want to argue and give the impression that there was anything I didn't like about the essay itself. However.....

Although reductionism is very useful, not all control of pattern generation in the "material" universe is best explained at the smallest scale, in my opinion. Ecology is an area of biology where the interconnections of whole species and population dynamics are considered, rather than the function of individual organisms or biochemistry. Many things can not be understood by looking at the parts alone.

Perhaps in physics too the interconnection and relationships of patterns may be seen as being more relevant to the ongoing creation of the universe than an individual particle's habits. I'm enthusiastic about the potential of the big picture, while appreciating what reductionism has already given us; understanding more about nature and enabling us to develop modern technology. That's not a criticism of the essay but just my opinion on something relevant to the content.

I hope you get lots of appreciative readers. I really like your writing, you have a lovely way with words. Good luck in the competition.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Georgina Parry replied on Jul. 29, 2012 @ 05:43 GMT
Re-read your essay and I enjoyed it as much as the first time. It is so very well written, full of beautifully expressed ideas.

I found the quantum computer universe creating the computer, in its image, an amusing idea. I think it was also probably an intentionally provocative suggestion.

I really hope lots more people read this and like it as much as I do.

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry replied on Aug. 19, 2012 @ 00:13 GMT
Dear Kyle,

Love your essay. There is very little for me to disagree with in it. I've not been looking to find fault with it but just something debatable.

Kyle Miller wrote re. LSD: "How it affects a certain user is a function of their brain and their surroundings, however, the efficacy of the drug can only be explained by an appeal to a more metaphysical line of reasoning. Moments after the Big Bang, the universe came to be filled with an asymmetrical abundance of matter, rather than anti-matter. Teleology might offer an account of the universe where LSD, being the "ultimate forbidden fruit," is the final cause-hence fostering many episodes of original sin under the stars."

That is well written, clever and amusing. However, you have said "can only be explained..." and then given an account of the Big bang. You have in this circumstance taken Big bang as fact. Is it fact? What if that cosmological curtain of EM radiation is not the material content of the universe shown to us? It might be more like the magician's curtain or cloak that obscures the truth, rather than revealing it. Then isn't our accepted model of the universe founded upon the deception?

Some might think that rather than replaying the error built into human beings (by Big Bang creation event), taking hallucinogens is an attempt to explore the uncharted territory beyond the confines of normal sensory perception. I can recall the very enthusiastic lectures, on the effects of various natural hallucinogenic agents, including a certain cactus, when I was at university many years ago. It wasn't a subject that I perused by personal experimentation but interesting non the less. The malleability of the perception of reality is a clue that what we experience is no more than an internally generated fabrication. Formed from processing of the data obtained by interacting with with the cloak of potential sensory data filling space.

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry replied on Aug. 19, 2012 @ 06:03 GMT
Hi Kyle,

I agree the Big Bang is a great story. With Inflation its a very complex and well developed theory accounting for a lot of observations. However despite that I also think it is terrible, costly and most likely untrue.

There is more matter than antimatter. There does also seem to be a lot of 'not matter', what ever its called. Like the fish content of the ocean, matter seems to be widely distributed in patches, with a lot of "emptiness" in between (However it is described eg. Higgs field, quantum vacuum seething with virtual particles, aether, the vacuum of space, through which photons travel). The'not matter'is also very important.

There are cultures that use hallucinogens to obtain a religious trance where they have access to alternative knowledge or feel in touch with their Gods. That could also be regarded as their function (giving the teleological cause), if one thinks that the effects are anything more than a biochemically induced malfunction. Not as entertaining as your scenario though.

Nice to know you have read the comments here. I appreciated your reply. Georgina

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 16:49 GMT
Kyle,

I enjoyed your scalar quest. It's like my own metaphysical sojourn.

You end with one of my favorite poems.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Dirk Pons wrote on Aug. 8, 2012 @ 08:16 GMT
Kyle

You make a good case that reductionist thinking and analysis can only take us so far. What do you think could be the solution .... how do we break out of that problem-solving approach and find a more integative solution? Do we just wait and hope that string theory can grow into being a full solution?

Thank you

Dirk

Bookmark and Share

Member Benjamin F. Dribus wrote on Sep. 28, 2012 @ 00:54 GMT
Dear Kyle,

I just finished reading your interesting submission, which I found refreshing different from the others. A few thoughts come to mind.

1. Regarding LSD, magic mushrooms, etc., it’s striking to consider the profound effect of fungus on human civilization, and also that many of the most influential derivatives were discovered within a few years of each other. Penicillin, anyone?

2. Regarding reductionism versus holism, I tend to believe that holism arises precisely because of quantum effects. If you try to combine Richard Feynman’s sum-over-histories method of quantum theory with general relativity, you get a situation in which the entire universe is relevant to “what happens next.”

3. On the subject of graphene, I’m sure you’ve read about the ideas for a “space elevator” maid of carbon nanofibers (closely related to graphene). I’ve read that a cable of this a centimeter across could support 10000 tons. What’s funny is that the stress is distributed in such a way that the thinnest part of the cable would be the part attached to the earth’s surface.

4. I’m one who is optimistic that quantum computing may give us indirect knowledge about the fundamental structure of spacetime. At the end of my essay here I propose using quantum computers as “virtual laboratories” to precisely model interactions many orders of magnitude smaller.

Anyway, thanks for the great read! Take care,

Ben Dribus

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Oct. 1, 2012 @ 05:23 GMT
Dear Kyle Miller

If you agree with the concept of "reductionist" please relax and you might consider and make suggestions for the ABSOLUTE theory is "a draft for proposal of T.O.E " of me in this topic (topic/1417- outside of my essay)

Kind Regards !

Hải.Caohoàng of THE INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS AND A CORRECT THEORY

August 23, 2012 - 11:51 GMT on this essay contest.

Bookmark and Share

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 09:45 GMT
If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings in the contest are calculated in the next way. Suppose your rating is
and
was the quantity of people which gave you ratings. Then you have
of points. After it anyone give you
of points so you have
of points and
is the common quantity of the people which gave you ratings. At the same time you will have
of points. From here, if you want to be R2 > R1 there must be:
or
or
In other words if you want to increase rating of anyone you must give him more points
then the participant`s rating
was at the moment you rated him. From here it is seen that in the contest are special rules for ratings. And from here there are misunderstanding of some participants what is happened with their ratings. Moreover since community ratings are hided some participants do not sure how increase ratings of others and gives them maximum 10 points. But in the case the scale from 1 to 10 of points do not work, and some essays are overestimated and some essays are drop down. In my opinion it is a bad problem with this Contest rating process. I hope the FQXI community will change the rating process.

Sergey Fedosin

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry wrote on Oct. 11, 2012 @ 05:05 GMT
Dear Kyle,

I don't know why your inteligent and beautifully crafted essay did not get more readers. IMHO it deserved more attention and to ranked higher than it was. I hope more readers will yet find and appreciate it. Best regards, Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry wrote on Nov. 27, 2012 @ 19:20 GMT
"Giving graphene the bends makes it transistor ready"New Scientist.

Clever. Made me think of your essay.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.