Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steve Dufourny: on 5/22/12 at 15:37pm UTC, wrote and you TH , you fear of my maths, it is the reason why you stop my...

Steve Dufourny: on 5/22/12 at 15:33pm UTC, wrote Yes of course Mr Aguirre, of course ....good parralllelization of nothing...

Zeeya Merali: on 5/22/12 at 13:21pm UTC, wrote Hi Steve, You can address comments for Brendan direct to him. I have just...

Pentcho Valev: on 5/21/12 at 15:17pm UTC, wrote Julian Barbour defines the greatest need in cosmology: ...

Pentcho Valev: on 5/21/12 at 11:21am UTC, wrote Photons slowed down by the gravitational field of the emitter: ...

Pentcho Valev: on 5/19/12 at 14:05pm UTC, wrote Photons Slowed Down by Vacuum ...

Steve Dufourny: on 5/19/12 at 8:31am UTC, wrote Well Zeeya, say to Brendan that a young belgian has found for the next...

Zeeya: on 4/13/12 at 14:14pm UTC, wrote Hi Steve, I don't know which members you are concerned about (and it is...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Thinking observers are going to notice their own and the other's arms..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Georgina Woodward: "The acrobats central to the rotation of a platform, share the same type of..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Lorraine Ford: "Ian, I’m sorry for going overboard on the “physicists think that”..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

andrea gonzalez: "Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. If want to collect free gift card..." in Memory, Causality and...

Ian Durham: "Well, Lorraine, if you insist on seeing it that way, I doubt anything I say..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Poker Online: "https://www.jakartapoker.net/" in Downward causation:...

Enquire us: "Your Ro system desires regular maintenance to confirm it’s continually in..." in Agency in the Physical...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi BLOGS
August 24, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Greetings from Goa [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Brendan Foster wrote on Dec. 17, 2011 @ 15:04 GMT
Greetings from Goa, India, on the shores of the Arabian Sea.
I am here at the International Conference on Gravitation and Cosmology, hosted by the Indian Association for General Relativity and Gravitation and the International Centre for Theoretical Sciences, part of theTata Institute of Fundamental Research. Goa has changed a lot since the first ICGC meeting here in 1987, but the beaches and hospitality still make for a most pleasant spot to talk about physics.

In the next week or two, I hope to post more about the events and talks here at the conference. I am here in Goa representing FQXi, because we hope to expand our connections to the research community in India. A quick look at our Member list shows that we have just two members currently based in India, despite the many researchers here studying foundational questions.

My task here is to find out how FQXi can best help the Indian research community. One of our strengths as a funding agency is the flexibility of our funding -- we can support projects around the world, and we can support projects of many forms and function. Case in point, we were able to help with the conference by supporting the attendance of members of the Indian press. The worldwide public has a growing interest in science, and the attendance of the press at meetings like this help spread the word about good science.

Stay tuned for more.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Dec. 17, 2011 @ 21:23 GMT
Dear Brendan Foster,

Obviously you are busy at the moment, but can you say whether FQXi is planning more essay contests, and when we might hear more about this?

Thanks, and have fun.

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Brendan Foster replied on Dec. 18, 2011 @ 07:54 GMT
Yes, we will have another contest soon, and we plan to have them regularly on into the future. I can't tell you yet the topic or the exact dates, though.

Bookmark and Share

Pentcho Valev replied on Dec. 18, 2011 @ 08:30 GMT
I think the OPERA experiment makes the topic self-evident:

"Is Einstein's 1905 light postulate true?"

Pentcho Valev pvalev@yahoo.com

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman replied on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 01:25 GMT
Dear Brendan,

I agree with Pencho, that superluminal neutrinos, now seen by Fermilab, MINOS, and OPERA -- twice -- raise probably the most fundamental questions in physics at this time. Also, while not participating in much of it, I've noted many relativity discussions on FQXi in the last year. Many participants seem to be well informed and to have interesting ideas.

Any hints about when and what?

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

Pentcho Valev wrote on Jan. 10, 2012 @ 01:17 GMT
Just a reference (please don't delete it):

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1107/1107.2485v2.pdf

Is the Universe really expanding? J.G. Hartnett, School of Physics, the University of Western Australia

Bookmark and Share

Eckard Blumschein replied on Jan. 10, 2012 @ 14:08 GMT
Pentcho,

Hartnett is on the same list as is Merryman. I just wonder why his Proposal for a New Michelson-Morley Experiment was perhaps not published in Phys. Let. 2002.

Eckard

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry replied on Jan. 11, 2012 @ 00:03 GMT
This is relevant to the link posted by Eckard.

Max Tegmark's question (something like) Why can't /doesn't space snap like an elastic band? Is a good one for cosmologists and other's to consider.

In the explanatory framework set out on FQxi blogs the observed "objects in space" image is produced by the observer from received data. It ( the observed objects in space ) is not the foundational source objects that produced the data. So the supposed expansion is IMO likely to be due to the relationship of the Earth Object with the Data pool in which it is immersed and the fact that it is not stationary within it but following its own Lagrangian (I'm learning) trajectory through the Object universe.

Which gives that “looking out of the rear view window appearance” and is probably the foundation cause of curvature of space- time, as the Data pool is distorted by the movement of the massive body through it. Distortion of the medium in the foundational reality (not space-time), in which the data exists, by a massive body could give a path for a neighbouring body to follow minimising its potential energy by orbiting the other object. The foundational source of gravity.

The diagram shows the Object reality and Data pool as separate as the data pool is a subset. It does not show them mixed together and interacting as they are, only that they are parts of the same reality. As well as the structural arrangement given it is necessary to recognize that it is not static but there is continual change giving new events and relationships between foundational objects, new generated data, and new observed outputs.

The actual Object universe of source objects simultaneously existing with the Earth in the same unitemporal Now is not observed and so is not observed to be expanding and there is no reason to assume that it is. Far more likely to be in a stable state of continual recycling and feedback loops; balanced erosion and deposition, growth and decay or destruction etc. etc. Nowhere for the matter and energy to go other than elsewhere in the Object universe. No closed systems but many different systems that may seem to operate separately but are all open to influence from outside.(Can be nudged back into action when they slow.)

The error is thinking that the observed image of the Universe is the Entirety of the Universe and the Objects themselves rather than just data emitted or reflected from them later formed into observable output, the Image reality.

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry replied on Jan. 13, 2012 @ 02:45 GMT
Dear Eckard,

what do you think of the solution offered? Surely it is good to have an explanatory framework that fits the experimental evidence, answers questions, overcomes paradoxes and allows QM and space-time relativity to co -exist as different facets of the entirety of reality. Though the big bang, inflation and space-time continuum from bang to crunch or whatever will have to go as incompatible with it, it will fit with what the other scientists, like those signing the petition, are finding which is results also incompatible with the big bang scenario.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Jan. 29, 2012 @ 21:09 GMT
lol Say them that a young belgian has found ! and forget your vanity !

Say Hello also to Narendra Nath and Basudeba Mishra!

Spherically yours in 3D.

Regards

Bookmark and Share

Pentcho Valev wrote on Mar. 29, 2012 @ 06:31 GMT
Gravitational Redshift Means Decreased Speed of Light

The speed of light varies with the gravitational potential, according to both Newton's emission theory of light and Einstein's general relativity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixhczNygcWo

"Relativity 3 - gravity and light"

http://www.speed-light.info/speed_of_light_variable.htm

"In the presence of...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Pentcho Valev replied on Mar. 29, 2012 @ 22:17 GMT
Gravitational Redshift Means Decreased Speed of Light II

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/09/galaxies-einstei
n-relativity/

"Galaxy Clusters Back Up Einstein's Theory of Relativity. (...) The researchers, led by Radek Wojtak of the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Copenhagen, set out to test a classic prediction of general relativity: that light will lose energy as it is escaping a gravitational field. The stronger the field, the greater the energy loss suffered by the light. As a result, photons emitted from the center of a galaxy cluster - a massive object containing thousands of galaxies - should lose more energy than photons coming from the edge of the cluster because gravity is strongest in the center. (...) The effect is known as gravitational redshifting."

In fact, Einstein's general relativity, just like Newton's emission theory of light, predicts that, as light is escaping a gravitational field, it will lose SPEED. That is, the redshifted light Radek Wojtak refers to is one having a speed lower than c. However if he had said that in his paper, neither Nature nor any other "respectable" journal would have published it. Paradoxes in Einsteiniana's schizophrenic world: Never say the truth, even if it comes from Divine Albert! And if Radek Wojtak had hinted at some analogy between the gravitational redshift he measured and Halton Arp's "intrinsic" redshift, he might even have become an unperson, like Halton Arp:

http://www.liferesearchuniversal.com/1984-4

George Orwell: "Withers, however, was already an unperson. He did not exist : he had never existed."

Bookmark and Share

James Putnam replied on Mar. 29, 2012 @ 22:45 GMT
Pentcho,

"In fact, Einstein's general relativity, just like Newton's emission theory of light, predicts that, as light is escaping a gravitational field, it will lose SPEED."

This statement is not an empirical fact, it is your theoretical interpretation. It may be a theoretical interpretation made by others, but, it is not an empirical fact.

James

Bookmark and Share

Pentcho Valev replied on Mar. 30, 2012 @ 12:25 GMT
Gravitational Redshift Means Decreased Speed of Light III

Sooner or later cosmologists will have to face the fact that ANY redshift means decreased speed of light:

http://www.sciscoop.com/2008-10-30-41323-484.html

"Shine a light through a piece of glass, a swimming pool or any other medium and it slows down ever so slightly, it's why a plunged part way into the surface of a pool appears to be bent. So, what about the space in between those distant astronomical objects and our earthly telescopes? COULDN'T IT BE THAT THE SUPPOSED VACUUM OF SPACE IS ACTING AS AN INTERSTELLAR MEDIUM TO LOWER THE SPEED OF LIGHT like some cosmic swimming pool?"

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Apr. 12, 2012 @ 10:22 GMT
always a platform checked by a team ! Zeeya, are you sure that all the members are integre ???

You know it exists bad and good people in all system. I am persuaded that unfortunally it exists sevral persons with bizare comportments inside the fqxi sphere. Mr Tegmark and Mr Aguire must take their responsabilities. FqxI is better than this team. In fact, they are not generalists , so they utilize your platform with algorythms of selectivity and superimposings. The pictures so are easy to check. I find this strategy by these persons very sad.

Fqxi must take its responsabilities, it exists two teams inside your intrinsic fqxi sphere. It is better to check the persons than to check the pc of people at my humble opinion. These persons are not on the rational way, they do not understand the generality of the universal sphere.

Fqxi do not really need of these persons, Fqxi needs simply to be universal and foundamental. the selection of the members is not a simple play of pseudo politeness and pseudo complemenatrity between institutes.

Regards

Bookmark and Share

Zeeya replied on Apr. 13, 2012 @ 14:14 GMT
Hi Steve,

I don't know which members you are concerned about (and it is probably better NOT to name them in a public forum). Members are added according to the steps outlined here: http://fqxi.org/members. As far as I know, none of them have had their honor or integrity questioned -- though their ideas in physics are open for debate.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on May. 19, 2012 @ 08:31 GMT
Well Zeeya, say to Brendan that a young belgian has found for the next conference about gravitation, but perhaps he prefers speaking about iorrationalities of extradimensions of nothing for nothing.perhaps even that the sciences have lost their foundamentals also.And we pay what? their travels of course and for what, nothing of course.Still a lot of monney for nothing, just for their vanity and their travels.

I don't say that all the members are like that.I am saying simply that it exists real searchers and on the otehr side the frustrated. Now of course all persons can understand that the world is difficult, but the truth has its limits.

For the threads, don't take me for your puppet.It is me who plays !And don't say me that the threadfs are real like my net.Let me laugh.Just because several frustrated have created a kind of team against me. Frankly they have nothing understood.

Regards

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali replied on May. 22, 2012 @ 13:21 GMT
Hi Steve,

You can address comments for Brendan direct to him. I have just removed one of your comments though because it seemed to contain some violent themes.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Apr. 12, 2012 @ 10:24 GMT
Brendan Foster, say hello to Verlinde !

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on May. 22, 2012 @ 15:33 GMT
Yes of course Mr Aguirre, of course ....good parralllelization of nothing for nothing ! and what after, a nobel prize, let me laugh.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on May. 22, 2012 @ 15:37 GMT
and you TH , you fear of my maths, it is the reason why you stop my programs ahaha a poor frustrated full of hate.Change of jobs dear pseudos.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.