Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

songjoong df: on 1/2/18 at 8:47am UTC, wrote jual qnc jelly gamat di magelang jual qnc jelly gamat di mataram jual qnc...

songjoong df: on 12/27/17 at 6:37am UTC, wrote cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat Cara Menjadi Agen Qnc Jelly Gamat ...

Randel Smith: on 2/6/08 at 20:12pm UTC, wrote Dear Sir, Very well put and I very much agree. Better progress will be...

Frank Fields: on 2/5/08 at 2:05am UTC, wrote As a member of the press and blog host, I ask that you actually investigate...

brumac: on 2/4/08 at 19:07pm UTC, wrote I guess you are not aware of radar cases, multiple witness visual reports,...

Peter: on 2/2/08 at 15:43pm UTC, wrote Somebody apparently made a video of the Stephenville UFO: ...

Anonymous: on 2/1/08 at 23:56pm UTC, wrote If anyone really thinks that there is no physical evidence for UFOs, they...

jeff: on 2/1/08 at 17:49pm UTC, wrote Nice post and nice comments from your readers.

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Chima Ugochukwu: "Notice there am no difference between the black surface area surrounding..." in Black Hole Photographed...

Anthony Aguirre: "Hi Stefan, Yes, I would say that the de Sitter region is locally..." in Cosmological Koans

Georgina Woodward: "The word 'energy' can refer to a measurable. That can be represented by a..." in Cosmological Koans

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Reality Fans, The real VISIBLE Universe never “started out.”..." in First Things First: The...

isabell ella: "If you are facing Cash app related problems and want to get support..." in Cosmic Dawn, Parallel...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi BLOGS
July 20, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Are UFOs Foundational? [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger William Orem wrote on Jan. 31, 2008 @ 16:54 GMT

Readers of this blog have been pressing me (offline) this month with a sensible question: why am I not discussing the Stephenville UFO? After all, what could be more paradigm-shifting than solid evidence of sentient, technological, extraterrestrial life, and life that is visiting Earth, no less? Haven't we commented several times here on the possibility of alien civilization?...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

report post as inappropriate

FQXi Administrator Anthony Aguirre wrote on Jan. 31, 2008 @ 20:15 GMT
William,

What a great piece! I think you make a really excellent point here: if the scientists who can actually say something meaningful and important about these fascinating questions choose to disengage from them, then this cedes the territory to the vast number of people with lots of time, energy and interest, but generally not the world-class rigorous training that is necessary to make real scientific progress in any field. The result is lots of material but no basis upon which a reasonable person can discern what to believe. As for UFOs ;-)

Bookmark and Share

paul valletta wrote on Feb. 1, 2008 @ 03:42 GMT
With the increase in media devices (mobile phones, digital camera's) available to the World, how come all these sightings are not accompanied by a vast pool of real time photographic evidence, is Texas a mobile camera free zone?

Not wishing to be to sceptical, I think there is overwelling evidence to "social hysteria", influenced by some unnatural phenonema such as excesive fields, or maybe just plain sunstroke!

I note that the very first appearence of the words U.F.O appeared just after the liberation of Europe, a number of secret activities (jet propulsion, and other weapon delivery systems) were unearthed. This filtered through to society in bits and pieces, when some pieces conveniently fitted athoroties, the story was left to its own device, and consequently take on aa unstoppable momentum of its own. Other times when closer to the truth, then certian secrets were compromized, thus the process of "cover-story" was born.

There is an interesting historical documented book called:Brighter than a thousand Suns?..I believe it was written by Robert Jungk ?

Bookmark and Share

reasonmclucus wrote on Feb. 1, 2008 @ 05:01 GMT
I'm skeptical of a distant civilization visiting earth and sending ships close to the ground in our era. They could easily learn about us by monitoring our communications. On the other hand there is some interesting evidence of a possible past visit. The Dogon people of Africa have passed down an account of a visit by ET in ancient times. the account of the visitors is unconvincing, but the knowledge the Dogon had of the Sirius star system can not be easily explained by other means. They were aware of the existence of the Sirius B white dwarf star which required 19th century equipment to detect. http://www.crystalinks.com/dogon.html

Modern U.F.O.'s could indicate visits by E.T., but they could also involve rare physical phenomena. Determining what physical processes could produce unexplained events could provide insights that would lead to new theories.

Bookmark and Share

jeff wrote on Feb. 1, 2008 @ 17:49 GMT
Nice post and nice comments from your readers.

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Feb. 1, 2008 @ 23:56 GMT
If anyone really thinks that there is no physical evidence for UFOs, they are completly uninformed. There are plenty of videos and photographs as well as physical traces.

Bookmark and Share

Peter wrote on Feb. 2, 2008 @ 15:43 GMT
Somebody apparently made a video of the Stephenville UFO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LgFrKzhMs8

Bookmark and Share

brumac wrote on Feb. 4, 2008 @ 19:07 GMT
I guess you are not aware of radar cases, multiple witness visual reports, radar-visual reports (object seen where radar indicates) and radar-visual-photographic (New Zealand case, Dec. 31, 1978). Nor are you apparently aware of the roughly 5,000 landing trace cases or the rougly 3,000 pilot sightings. Even if you reject all the sightings which are of distant or visually tiny objects (angular size too small for visual resolution) there are still hundreds of relatively close "encounters." See http://brumac.8k.com for examples of well investigated cases.

Bookmark and Share

Frank Fields wrote on Feb. 5, 2008 @ 02:05 GMT
As a member of the press and blog host, I ask that you actually investigate the UFO phenomenon. There is remarkable evidence available proving that extraterrestrial (ET) crafts have visited our planet. I know this information sounds unbelievable but please keep an open mind.

Solid testimony from over 460 corporate and military witnesses has been accumulated by two disclosure initiatives. ...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Randel Smith wrote on Feb. 6, 2008 @ 20:12 GMT
Dear Sir,

Very well put and I very much agree. Better progress will be made in understanding these frequent aerial phenomenae when folks become more cautious in jumping to the conclusion that they are always spaceships from another world. We need, and are gradually getting, more solid research in plasma phenomenae, which will help resolve this interesting mystery of lights and effects in the sky. After this, we may be able to separate the wheat from the chaff and better focus on those intriquing reports which do indeed raise the hair on the neck. My compliments on your erudition and encouragement in your work. If I may be of any assistance please feel free to call on me.

Sincerely,

Randel Smith

Friendswood, Texas

Film maker, historian/writer and certified

first responder for Radiological Emergency

Bookmark and Share

songjoong sdfsd df wrote on Dec. 27, 2017 @ 06:37 GMT
cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat

Cara Menjadi Agen Qnc Jelly Gamat

manfaat qnc jelly gamat

Obat Tradisional Kista Nabothian Tanpa Operasi

cara menjadi agen qnc jelly gamat

cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat

cara mengobati gondongan pada anak

cara mengobati kanker nasofaring secara alami

obat pembersih sisa janin setelah keguguran

cara mengobati kanker pankreas secara tradisional

obat tradisional benjolan di leher sebelah kanan

obat tradisional tipes untuk orang dewasa

obat tradisional untuk menghentikan haid berkepanjangan

Obat Tradisional Pembekuan Darah Di Otak

Bookmark and Share

songjoong sdfsd df wrote on Jan. 2, 2018 @ 08:47 GMT
jual qnc jelly gamat di magelang

jual qnc jelly gamat di mataram

jual qnc jelly gamat di metro

jual qnc jelly gamat di mojokerto

jual qnc jelly gamat di padang panjang

jual qnc jelly gamat di padang sidempuan

obat tradisional kista payudara tanpa operasi

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.