Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Georgina Woodward: on 1/28/16 at 5:45am UTC, wrote Have tried Cosmology instead. 1st half of first lecture so far. This is...

Georgina Woodward: on 1/28/16 at 1:27am UTC, wrote Lecture 2. Elementary mathematics he says! I've watched half way. Really...

Georgina Woodward: on 1/27/16 at 23:35pm UTC, wrote Started the Statistical mechanics course. I like that Leonard Susskind was...

Georgina Parry: on 1/13/12 at 20:01pm UTC, wrote Thank you very much for providing this resource. I have only got as far as...

Anonymous: on 12/8/11 at 12:00pm UTC, wrote This is the discussion topic for the physics resource "Modern Physics at...

FQXi FORUM
October 22, 2019

CATEGORY: [back]
TOPIC: Modern Physics at Stanford [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

The FQXi Editors wrote on Dec. 8, 2011 @ 12:00 GMT
This is the discussion topic for the physics resource "Modern Physics at Stanford", located at http://newpackettech.com/Resources/Susskind/. See also FQXi's full list of suggested physics resources.

Bookmark and Share
post approved

Georgina Parry replied on Jan. 13, 2012 @ 20:01 GMT
Thank you very much for providing this resource. I have only got as far as lecture 3 of classical mechanics but I have already learned some important principles and terminology.

Some time ago, years (I think), I was trying to describe continual movement of everything and described it as moving along a dimension of Universal potential energy. I can see now that it was the idea of minimizing potential energy which is incorporated into the Lagrangian that I needed but did not know about. Being ignorant of a lot of physics I am reinventing the wheel some of the time and though it seems a revelation to me it is just common knowledge that I am not describing as well as I might.

Lecture 3 introduced translation and rotation symmetry. I did not know symmetry had that meaning in physics. I had only known about the mathematical kind of symmetry. So may well have been misunderstanding some of the posts where symmetry has been discussed. Now it makes sense that the object just keeps on going as the potential energy is not depleted just shifted to a different location in space.That makes sense to me like the continual falling of something in orbit.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Georgina Woodward replied on Jan. 27, 2016 @ 23:35 GMT
Started the Statistical mechanics course. I like that Leonard Susskind was 'up front' at the beginning about its relationship to reality. Midway I was thinking of putting a die in dye and when he said no negative probabilities- 'there goes the infinite improbability drive' : ) The end section about entropy and temperature was very interesting and new to me. I think Leonard Susskind is a very good teacher but its hard to contemplate 10 of these lectures. I'll aim to get as far as I can -until it ceases to make any sense to me, or is so tedious I can't go on.

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward replied on Jan. 28, 2016 @ 01:27 GMT
Lecture 2. Elementary mathematics he says! I've watched half way. Really important for later on ...!! Oh dear : ( Doesn't inspire me with confidence. Can't watch a whole lecture of just this kind of mathematics in one go, so maybe I'll come back to it- If I can summon the will power. Can't see it being helpful to me (yet)-though I am gradually getting more familiar with some mathematical symbols. So I guess that's a good thing,

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.