Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discuss

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

nosyemormep: on 2/14/11 at 18:02pm UTC, wrote Hello. I updated Nero, but that didn't help. Firmware is next. I have...

Bashir Yusuf: on 12/14/10 at 3:08am UTC, wrote Hi Enrique I appreciate that Guess, it sounds real, and seems that the...

E. Canessa: on 10/7/09 at 21:23pm UTC, wrote I appreciate your comment Peter. A guess ceases to be a guess, until it is...

Peter Jackson: on 10/7/09 at 16:32pm UTC, wrote Hi Enrique I like educated guesses, but they're of most value when they...

Owen Cunningham: on 10/6/09 at 16:58pm UTC, wrote A copy of this message is being left in each thread of the essay contest...

E. Canessa: on 10/3/09 at 15:02pm UTC, wrote Eppur: "Intense electromagnetic pulses of astrophysical origin (supernova)...

Alan Schwartz: on 10/3/09 at 0:39am UTC, wrote If photons carried charge there would be vacuum anomalous scattering at a...

E. Canessa: on 10/2/09 at 15:02pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract We especulate on the dynamics of charged photons...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Joe, I can not comment infinitely as I am a finite being with finite..." in Quantum Dream Time

Joe Fisher: "Dear Georgina, Which came first, reality, or humanly contrived abstract..." in Quantum Dream Time

BASILEIOS GRISPOS: "What a nice topic this is. I am expecting to read some nice essays from all..." in What Is...

alice paul: "All data here is unfamiliar to me. I think Really weird. I think you have..." in Hyung Choi and the nature...

alice paul: "your link text" in Hyung Choi and the nature...

alice paul: "All data here is unfamiliar to me. I think Really weird. I think you have..." in Are We Merging With Our...

shery williams: "Kaspersky technical errors that are harming your device and its..." in Are We Merging With Our...

Lena Smith: "Though every Canon printer is manufactured with utmost proficiency, but it..." in Conjuring a Neutron Star...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

FQXi FORUM
November 23, 2017

CATEGORY: What's Ultimately Possible in Physics? Essay Contest (2009) [back]
TOPIC: Charged Photons? - An Educated Guess of Properties by Enrique Canessa [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author E. Canessa wrote on Oct. 2, 2009 @ 15:02 GMT
Essay Abstract

We especulate on the dynamics of charged photons admitting a hypothetical non-neglible photon charge Q_\gamma, albeit our limited understanding of extragalactic magnetic fields and of the expansion of the universe lead to uncertainties on its bound. We found a wavelength for the charged photons proportional to \sqrt{Q_\gamma /N_p}, where N_p is their number density. The light waves frequencies being of the order of the cosmic rays (>10^19 Hz).

Author Bio

Dr. Enrique Canessa is a PhD Physicist working as a Scientific Consultant at ICTP in Tieste, Italy. His main areas of research and interest are in the field of complex systems, cosmology, and scientific software applications, with particular focus on disseminating science to and within developing countries using open source technologies.

Download Essay PDF File

Alan M. Schwartz wrote on Oct. 3, 2009 @ 00:39 GMT
If photons carried charge there would be vacuum anomalous scattering at a large amplitude focus such as as the National Ignition Facility. Calculate the number of NIF photons: 1.8 megajoules at 351 nm for 225 TW delivered at the focus. "Anomalous" means in excess of modeled Phys. Rev. 46 1087 (1934) and observed Phy. Rev. Lett. 79 1626 (1997). One suspects your thesis is already disproven.

report post as inappropriate

Author E. Canessa wrote on Oct. 3, 2009 @ 15:02 GMT
Eppur: "Intense electromagnetic pulses of astrophysical origin (supernova) can lead to very energetic photons via bremsstrahlung of temporarily accelerated electrons while still in the pulse". In this view, the high-energy photons could transfer some energy to other charged particles. Phys. Rev. Spec. Top. Accelarators and Beams, 2 121301 (1999).

Owen Cunningham wrote on Oct. 6, 2009 @ 16:58 GMT
A copy of this message is being left in each thread of the essay contest forum.

Submitters: Tired of constantly checking the FQXI site to see how your paper's doing in the rankings? I've written a simple program that periodically checks the FQXI site and sends you an email if the status of your paper has changed in any way. Here is a sample email:

The following changes were detected in the status of your paper:

* Number of posts in discussion forum went from 0 to 20.

* Community rating went from 0 to 3.4.

* Community vote count went from 0 to 10.

* Public rating went from 0 to 4.3.

* Public vote count went from 0 to 6.

* Community ranking went from being in 0th place to being tied for 16th out of 112.

* Public ranking went from being in 0th place to being tied for 19th out of 112.

You just run the program once, in a command prompt window, and then minimize that window and let it do its thing in the background.

If you're interested in a copy (with source for those who care) drop me a note at ramblinplan@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Owen Cunningham

P.S. This program requires Windows and the .NET Framework. It has been tested only on Windows XP Service Pack 3 running .NET Framework 3.5, but has a good chance of working with earlier versions.

Peter Jackson wrote on Oct. 7, 2009 @ 16:32 GMT
Hi Enrique

I like educated guesses, but they're of most value when they can be tested.

It was an educated guess that long range conserved photons like the ones we see travelling short distances, can travel 10bn light years across space at a constant speed. We have since become more educated.

I beleive Lena Hau and co have also looked for them in the BEC they've trapped them in at Harvard, but none could be found, and they had to let the light go in the end. (it went straight back to 'c' of course!!).

I have a real fear you're guessing at the characteristics of the Quark! Beware the apparently benign rule of the ruling paradigm!

Peter

Author E. Canessa wrote on Oct. 7, 2009 @ 21:23 GMT
I appreciate your comment Peter.

A guess ceases to be a guess, until it is tried. A trial is done in a framewrok of facilities. Quarks with electric charge properties

are produced in particle accelerators (and by high energy collisions of cosmic rays). There may not be trials for not having thought of them.

Intuition can motivate the search; and practice can prevent it.

Bashir Yusuf wrote on Dec. 14, 2010 @ 03:08 GMT
Hi Enrique

I appreciate that Guess, it sounds real, and seems that the photon is the nature ultiimat elementary particle in which every thing is made of...

The core Idea we postulate it is that the nature has same fundamentals. In this scientific article we will explore the broad area in physical science in different aspect and compare to existing known scientific theories. There are no remarkable contradictions with accepted theories, instead integrates and interprets to a better Unified theory.

Gravity is the basic interaction and the Photon is the ultimate elementary particle that every thing is made of. Sphere is dominating shape of the Nature. Multi-Dimensions are important issue for sphere Geometry. Dark matter which has two faces is also another face of the universe’s matter.

We focus particle theory in both astrophysical and subatomic particles including WIMPs MACHOs,Quarks, and Leptons. The Natures Elementary charge’s characteristic is significant in the charged subatomic particles , such as Proton, Electrons, while it is trivial in the other Neutral particles, such

as Neutron, Neutrino, and Neutron star, this phenomena is seemingly based on quantum of what

may called ultimate elementary particles. It is about ODD and EVEN numbers, DISORDERED andORDERED systems. Our conclusion of particle system hierarchy is that there are two main categories due to quantity of Photons.

tank you

bashir

nosyemormep wrote on Feb. 14, 2011 @ 18:02 GMT
Hello.

I updated Nero, but that didn't help. Firmware is next. I have about 75 good burns each on 100 packs of both my -R & +R media. It seems to die in random spots. My last burn went to 49%. I've had it die as early as 3% also. I will try some different media and updating the firmware tonight.

transfer ipod to mac

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.