Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discuss

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Stephen Brenner: on 10/12/09 at 13:50pm UTC, wrote Hi Alfred, The tripartite view is essential to the Synergy Physics theory...

Alfred Tang: on 10/12/09 at 8:33am UTC, wrote Hi Stephen, Your paper assumes a trichotomous view of human nature as in...

Stephen Brenner: on 10/3/09 at 14:58pm UTC, wrote Hi Narendra, Thanks for your kind words. It's been a long journey with...

Narendra Nath: on 10/2/09 at 7:28am UTC, wrote Dear Steve, i have just had a first glimpse of reading your original essay...

Stephen Brenner: on 9/22/09 at 12:08pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract Can physics eventually define very clearly what we...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "John, I reported your post as inappropriate as it is mostly irrelevant to..." in What Is...

Scott Gordon: "This article states,"Carroll believes the misfit between the two theories..." in In Search of a Quantum...

thuy lien: "Your article completely convinced me. Thank you for sharing. vampyrgame ..." in Agency in the Physical...

thuy lien: "Thanks for sharing, very useful information. You can visit my site for more..." in What Is...

thuy lien: "VAMPYR: You can feed on literally anyone in the game VAMPYR was revealed..." in Collapsing Physics: Q&A...

Nishant Gaurav: "Want to get free playstation plus codes, Yes now these psn plus codes are..." in Jacob Bekenstein...

Nishant Gaurav: "The best to win among hustle for online live gaming platform, is online..." in Quantum Replicants:...

Nishant Gaurav: "When it come to paypal user look for various information and also look for..." in Retrocausality,...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Complexity Conundrum
Resolving the black hole firewall paradox—by calculating what a real astronaut would compute at the black hole's edge.

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

FQXi FORUM
December 14, 2017

CATEGORY: What's Ultimately Possible in Physics? Essay Contest (2009) [back]
TOPIC: Synergy Physics - A Holistic View by Stephen A. Brenner [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Stephen A. Brenner wrote on Sep. 22, 2009 @ 12:08 GMT
Essay Abstract

Can physics eventually define very clearly what we mean by the terms Body, Mind and Soul? The author proposes that the foundation for such a discovery may exist at the core of what we already know about quantum physics. It's just a matter of putting all of the pieces together....

Author Bio

Stephen Brenner is a computer programmer with a 40+ year fascination with quantum physics and ontology. Long separated from the academic community, he offers a unique perspective that is clearly thinking outside of the box.

Download Essay PDF File

Narendra Nath wrote on Oct. 2, 2009 @ 07:28 GMT
Dear Steve,

i have just had a first glimpse of reading your original essay that combines your way of spirituality/humanity with your own understanding of science of Physics. I admire your courage and boldness. When one has ideas that are unique to one's personal experiences, scientists often consider such persons as outcasts. However, if any one out of them happen to get some recognition in a professional way, all of them jump on the bandwagon and turn into admirers all of a sudden! My request to you is simply remain true to yourself and enjoy the lonely moments to the fullest. My Internet site ia available with FQXI forum and you are free to continue the dialogue along your lines with me. Mine is the first posting on your essay in this forum too. Never mind, nothing has given rise to everything !

report post as inappropriate

Stephen Brenner wrote on Oct. 3, 2009 @ 14:58 GMT
Hi Narendra,

Thanks for your kind words. It's been a long journey with this theory and I can only hope that at some point a few people can relate to it. Due to it's interdisciplinary nature, it does feel a bit out of context within this essay contest. I do strongly believe though that at some point, physics will become more all encompassing and foundational to our lives.

Steve

Alfred Tang wrote on Oct. 12, 2009 @ 08:33 GMT
Hi Stephen,

Your paper assumes a trichotomous view of human nature as in body, mind and soul. Sometimes it is also referred to as body, mind and spirit. Historically there is also a dichotomous view involving only body and soul. Philosophers often refer to the mind-body dualism. How important is the trichotomous view of human nature to your idea?

Alfred

Author Stephen A. Brenner wrote on Oct. 12, 2009 @ 13:50 GMT
Hi Alfred,

The tripartite view is essential to the Synergy Physics theory which is pretty much defined by the relationships between 4 primary elements (field, space, pole, and energy). There are 6 relationships (sides of a tetrahedron) that break down into 3 dualisms (each governed by a physics constant) that seem to coincide with our notion of body, mind & soul. It is the physics constants (the constant that controls the forces between objects at varying distances, the speed of light, and planck's constant) that are at the core of the tripartite nature. It's actually a deeper structure than those constants; e.g. planck's constant applies to the gravitomagnetic realm, while the Bohr magneton applies to the electromagnetic realm. The only difference between those two constants is the charge to mass ratio of the electron. That tells me that these constants are really just two sides of the same coin sort to speak and that they both represent something more universal.

I think it's interesting to note that while there seems to be a tripartite structure to nature, each of the three parts is expressed as a dualism. Body is divided by Order vs. Chaos (or Synergy vs. Entropy). Mind is divided by Particle vs. Wave. Soul is divided by Atom vs. Light.

Now there may be more dimensions of time/space, and I wouldn't venture to say that they too would be defined by a tripartite nature.

Steve

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.