Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Narendra Nath: on 12/19/09 at 12:38pm UTC, wrote Mesomorphic region experiments are required to be conducted. It may be a...

Tejinder Singh: on 11/28/09 at 4:04am UTC, wrote The paper http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.3773 argues that quantum theory is...

Narendra Nath: on 11/7/09 at 11:49am UTC, wrote This bold attempt at a tough problem is highly commendable. My personal...

Steve Dufourny: on 10/28/09 at 11:18am UTC, wrote Hi , A very beautiful project with a beautiful collaborations . I wish...

Narendra Nath: on 10/25/09 at 3:42am UTC, wrote It is so nice to see this attempt to check what lies in between current...

Tejinder Singh: on 10/19/09 at 12:57pm UTC, wrote Dear Colleagues, I wish to draw the attention of the readers of this forum...

amrit: on 10/3/09 at 16:21pm UTC, wrote Dear Sirs If space-time would be fundamental arena of the universe...

Kavita Rajanna: on 4/20/09 at 15:26pm UTC, wrote Hello, We've checked the PDF and it is downloading correctly. Best, K...

FQXi FORUM
March 27, 2017

ARTICLE: Editor's Choice: Quantum Upsizing [back to article]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Brian Beverly wrote on Mar. 25, 2009 @ 01:01 GMT
I can see why this Article is an Editor’s choice because this experiment has Nobel potential. I would like a heads up if they start computer companies after this.

What are the mirrors made from and what type of laser are they using?

report post as inappropriate

Count Iblis wrote on Mar. 27, 2009 @ 01:59 GMT
I could not open the file. I get this error message:

**** Warning: An error occurred while reading an XREF table.

**** The file has been damaged. This may have been caused

**** by a problem while converting or transfering the file.

**** Ghostscript will attempt to recover the data.

Error: /undefined in /BXlevel

Operand stack:

126 0 1 --dict:6/6(ro)(G)-- obj

Execution stack:

%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push --nostringval-- %loop_continue --nostringval--

Dictionary stack:

--dict:1120/1686(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:78/200(L)-- --dict:104/127(ro)(G)-- --dict:238/347(ro)(G)-- --dict:18/24(L)--

Current allocation mode is local

matthew kolasinski wrote on Mar. 27, 2009 @ 19:07 GMT
hm. largest quantum object...

“Can we start to observe quantum behavior in bigger and bigger objects?”

this reminded me of an article i'd come across about one of Saturn's moons, Hyperion.

found at:

http://cosmicvariance.com/

on October 28, 2008 10:49:56 PM PDT:

Quantum Hyperion

Sean at 7:51 pm, October 23rd, 2008

One of the...

view entire post

FQXi Administrator Kavita Rajanna wrote on Apr. 20, 2009 @ 15:26 GMT
Hello,

We've checked the PDF and it is downloading correctly.

Best,

K Rajanna

amrit wrote on Oct. 3, 2009 @ 16:21 GMT
Dear Sirs

If space-time would be fundamental arena of the universe entanglement and superposition would not be possible. They are possible because fundamental arena of the universe is timeless quantum space that is an immediate energy and information medium between elementary particles.

Sincerely yours amrit

attachments: 2_TIMELLESS_QUANTUM_SPACE.doc

Tejinder Singh wrote on Oct. 19, 2009 @ 12:57 GMT
Dear Colleagues,

I wish to draw the attention of the readers of this forum to the essay that I have written for the current Essay Contest of FQXi, where I explain why one should expect a breakdown of *linear* quantum mechanics, when larger and larger objects are examined. The theory is then replaced by a nonlinear quantum mechanics [applicable for mesoscopic objects] which goes over to classical mechanics for macroscopic objects. Thus the idea is that the mechanics of the mesoscopic domain is different from both classical and quantum mechanics.

In particular, Planck's constant is no longer a constant, but a function of the number of degrees in the system. Can the above experiment be used to infer the value of Planck's `constant', by treating the micro-mirror as a mesoscopic object? The departure from the linear theory is expected to become more and more pronounced as the mass of the mirror becomes closer to Planck mass.

If the authors of the above article/experiment happen to see this post, I will be very much interested in their views.

Many thanks,

Tejinder Singh

Narendra Nath wrote on Oct. 25, 2009 @ 03:42 GMT
It is so nice to see this attempt to check what lies in between current domains of quantum and classical physics. The proposed experiment is highly imaginative. I just wonder about the terms used like laser bombardment causing cooling of the micro-mirrors as more energy gets released than absorbed in the process. I am unable to comprehend the mechanism involved including the nature of laser that is proposed to be used. i wish to interact closely with members of the experimental group and contribute my webit of experience in experimental physics.

In fact i always have wondered about the constancy of physical constants like h, c, e, m, etc. as also about the strengths of force fields eversince these emerged to fulfil the requirements of the universe's evolutionary logical design. i see an interplay between gross randomness in observing physical processses experimentally and the logic that is behind them which has to be an orderly effect! Some cosmological measurements thouugh isolated have already emerged pointing to the higher value of c and a different value for e/m in the light signals coming from far off cosmic objects over 12 billion years away. A closer and precise attempt at accurate cosmological experiments conducted from apparatus in space beyond earth-boundness may well provide us answers to several cosmological mysteries that bedevil present day Physics. LHC expts in comparison appear to me far less fruitful as per this line of thinking. i am on the current FQXI website Essay competition 2009 and will be most happy to sontinue the line of discussions as i feel too that the value of h was smaller in the early universe. Tejinder's proposal for an inbetween region of mesomorphic physics is relevant in this context too.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 28, 2009 @ 11:18 GMT
Hi ,

A very beautiful project with a beautiful collaborations .

I wish them all the best .

Best Regards

Steve

Narendra Nath wrote on Nov. 7, 2009 @ 11:49 GMT
This bold attempt at a tough problem is highly commendable. My personal interest has arisen in this experiment from the desire to test the valdity of possible variation in the value of h above 0 limit for classical objetcs/processes. The interst follows an attempt by Tejinger Singh of TIFR, Mumbai, India who has developed a theory for such a mesomorphic region where neither classical nor quantum mechanics is strictly valid.

I have yet to grasp the full import of the planning being done by the Vienna group of scientists , Keith, Anton & Markus, guided by Nobel Leureate Prof. Tony Leggett.

May i enroll myself with my e-mail Id to be an interested associate from India who would like to contribute whatever little i can towards the success of this experiment right from the stage of planning to its final execution. To start with i wish to have some details about the size of the micro-mirror, the type of laser intended to be used and the limit of low temperatures being considered for conducting the experiment.How it is being planned to change the frequency and power of the laser that is planned to be used.Is it being contemplated to employ a nanostructured material crystal to reflect/refract the laser light?

Narendra Nath, . Kurukshetra, India

A FQXI Essay Contest author of ' What Physics Can & Can't Do? ' 2009

Tejinder Singh wrote on Nov. 28, 2009 @ 04:04 GMT
The paper

http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.3773

argues that quantum theory is intrinsically nonlinear, and goes to the standard linear limit for microscopic objects. THe nonlinear theory goes to the classical limit for large objects, but departs from linear quantum mechanics for mesoscopic objects.

Because of the nnlinearity, the lifetime of two superposed states is no longer infinite. It decreases as the number of atoms in the object under study increases, going from an astronomically large value for microsystems, to extremely small values for macrosystems. Thus somewhere in between, the superposition lifetime ought to be measureable in the laboratory.

For the micro-mirror of a billion atoms, the superposition lifetime is predicted to be about ten days. If the number of atoms in the mirror is increased a thousand fold, the lifetime of superposition comes down to about a thousand seconds.

Narendra Nath wrote on Dec. 19, 2009 @ 12:38 GMT
Mesomorphic region experiments are required to be conducted. It may be a difficult regime but human beings are smart enough to generate new design ideas in the minds of prospective physicists to conduct such experiments in the near future. What about High energy Compton scattering using nanostructured crystal of silver or gold! Where to see the effect of change in value of Planck's constant, compton scattered electron or the scattered photon?

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'E' and 'G':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.