Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Brian Beverly: on 4/10/09 at 9:59am UTC, wrote Further analysis reveals that the no cloning theorem will prevent the...

Georgina Parry: on 3/24/09 at 0:35am UTC, wrote Thank you Steve, I'm glad that you appreciate how the model works in this...

Steve Dufourny: on 3/23/09 at 20:20pm UTC, wrote Hi Georgina , Thank you for your explaination ,I understand better the...

Georgina Parry: on 3/23/09 at 11:52am UTC, wrote There are only 4 spatio-energetic dimensions in the model. So there is no...

Steve Dufourny: on 3/22/09 at 18:34pm UTC, wrote Dear Georgina , You know ,I can understand your point of vue and your...

Georgina Parry: on 3/22/09 at 1:12am UTC, wrote A thought. If the 4th dimension is regarded as spatial and extending from...

Steve Dufourny: on 3/7/09 at 13:00pm UTC, wrote Thanks for this new works ,I am going to search more about Richard Woodard...

Brian Beverly: on 3/7/09 at 7:07am UTC, wrote Wow! Why haven’t I heard about Richard Woodard and other ideas like...

FQXi FORUM
March 27, 2017

ARTICLE: Taming Infinity [back to article]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Georgina Parry wrote on Feb. 28, 2009 @ 01:52 GMT
I hope i'm not getting annoying but I do think that this is relevant....

According to the prime quaternion model, all matter (from atoms to matter composed of atoms) is in continuous motion along the 4th spatio-energetic dimension (This continuous afore-ward change in position can also be considered as change in potential energy from higher to lower potential energy).

The 4th dimension can be visualised as running from every point on the exterior of a spherical mass, through to the centre of the mass, where it does not stop but continues on to afore space, beyond observable 3D vector space. The 4th dimension also extends out from every point on the surface of a mass into aft space, beyond observable 3D vector space.

As matter travels along the 4th dimension the exterior of the mass moves to the space that was occupied by the interior, as the interior has moved afore along the 4th dimension. The mass does not collapse on itself in 4D or 3D space.

This is initially difficult to visualise, as it is motion but not directly along any of the 3 vector dimensions of space.

This motion gives rise to the force of gravity that can be observed in the macroscopic world. It is this motion that drives creation of matter at all scales and gives rise to the subjective experience of time.

Sub atomic particles are of such low mass that electrostatic and nuclear forces have a greater effect on them than gravity, which can therefore be considered negligible. Sub atomic particles are thus able to move within all 4 spatio- energetic dimensions in all directions including aft-wards along the 4th dimension.

This ability gives rise to some of the strange properties of sub atomic particles, as they are able to enter and leave 3D vector space by travelling directly along the 4th dimension. They are able to quantum leap instantaneously because they do not travel across 3D vector space. They are able to travel along what has historically been considered the time dimension. (Quaternion rule of maximum speed.

The speed of light in a vacuum is the maximum possible speed for travel through visible 3D vector space.Instantaneous action is observed due to change in position along the 4th dimension.)

Relativity only applies to subjective reality formed from observation, it does not apply to objective reality underlying the reality that is observable. Therefore the quaternion model of objective reality that unifies all forces is non relativistic, but still allows relativity to occur within subjective reality.

report post as inappropriate

Eckard wrote on Feb. 28, 2009 @ 13:33 GMT
In what sense a, b, c are infinite pure numbers? Why do you claim taming infinity? Isn't the fundamental theorem of calculus just required for non-linearity?

Ray Munroe wrote on Mar. 2, 2009 @ 17:31 GMT
Dear Richard,

I agree that understanding infinity (and the variety of "infinities") is important. Many theorists have approximated the ~10^500 String Theory parameters as infinity. I think this is wrong because it implies that Dirac's Large Number is also infinity, which yields a Gravitational coupling of zero. The concept "infinity" is extremely important, but the number "infinity" should be approximated by a power of Dirac's Large Number in the real world.

I attended Florida State and Texas, where I lived in the shadows of great men such as Dirac, Weinberg, Wheeler and Prigogine. I live in Tallahassee today.

Sorry about the duplicate posting - I forgot to identify myself.

Sincerly, Ray Munroe

Steve Dufourny wrote on Mar. 3, 2009 @ 12:35 GMT
Hello Ray ,

I like Prigogine too ,...Weinberg ,Dirac ....the constants are so important .....cosmologically ,physically,.....philosophically.....constants to open our mind .

In all case the infinity is so bad understand ,the relativistic and foundamental perception ,the mathematic infinity or the real Universe with their limits .

I am going to see the Wheeler'works ,

Regards

Steve

Ray Munroe wrote on Mar. 4, 2009 @ 21:01 GMT
Dear Richard,

John Wheeler ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Archibald_Wheeler ) was a great physicist and teacher, but people outside of Gravitation might not have known him. It was rumored that his involvement in the Atomic and Hydrogen Bombs excluded him from Nobel Prize consideration. Wheeler was Director of the Center for Theoretical Physics at the U. of Texas, and probably had some influence in bringing Weinberg to Texas. I remember a seminar Wheeler gave in the early 1980’s on Grand Unified Theory. He said that a GUT should include Quantum Mechanics, Relativity AND Statistical Mechanics. He said this when most were only concerned with a union of the first two entities. One of Wheeler’s students, Richard Feynman, developed the Path Integral formulation of Quantum Mechanics, which implies that Quantum Mechanics has a Statistical nature.

I am also a huge fan of Dirac’s. Paul Dirac was a Prof. Emeritus at Florida State while I was an undergraduate student there. I developed some of my early ideas about Quantum Statistical Grand Unification (QSGUT) at Florida State, and some of my friends thought I should show the idea to Dirac. I didn’t. To this day, I’m not sure if I was more intimidated by his genius, or if I was arrogant that I could do it myself (and I did, but it took a long time and much self-doubt). I later realized that QSGUT had implications regarding Dirac’s Large Number. Too bad I didn’t share it with the great man himself, but I continue to talk about his Large Numbers Hypothesis because I think it is relevant. The Dirac family is buried near my grandparents, and I check on his grave occasionally.

I agree that there is a problem with the number “infinity”. I think it should be represented as a power of Dirac’s Large Number (!0^40) in the real world. For instance, Einstein’s Cosmological constant is approximately ((10^40)^-3), and the number of parameters in a 10-dimensional String Theory is approximately ((10^40)^12). I also think there is a problem with the formulation of Quantum Mechanics. I know that Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory both work, but I have some of the same reservations that Einstein had. I think that there is a large number (a power of Dirac’s Large Number) of Hidden Variables that are hidden, confined and constrained by the smallness of Hyperspace and the Statistical nature of Quantum Mechanics. I think that recent ideas by Len Malinowski ( www.leonardmalinowski.com ) may tie into these ideas.

I’m currently working on an E12 TOE. I have my own definition of E12, not the infinite-dimensional Kac-Moody E12. My approach to E12 does not necessarily rely on String Theory, but seems compatible thus far.

Good luck with your “Infinities”!

Sincerely, Ray Munroe

Brian Beverly wrote on Mar. 7, 2009 @ 07:07 GMT
Wow! Why haven’t I heard about Richard Woodard and other ideas like this?! Many often seem to forget the approximate techniques in physics; my favorite professor would say, “In order to solve this problem we must go to the land of frictionless elephants” (we also assumed they were spherically symmetric). This article never mentions entropy and I can’t help but to see a connection to entropy because it discusses the approximating techniques of physics, the problems with infinity and using a logarithm in perturbation theory. I would like to know more.

Richard Woodard does not like fanciful theories about quantum but what about this one?

We know from quantum physics that Schrodinger’s cat is both dead and alive at the same time; and we know that this undead state is the classic textbook definition of a zombie:

< Alive | Cat | Dead > = Zombie

QED

You don’t have to be an expert in quantum physics to know that zombies eat brains. If the zombie cat ate the brain of the physicist before the “conscious” measurement then it could escape the lab and create more zombies through entanglement.

What would happen if the wavefunction didn’t collapse?

Zombie apocalypse!

Steve Dufourny wrote on Mar. 7, 2009 @ 13:00 GMT
Thanks for this new works ,I am going to search more about Richard Woodard work ,on arxiv.I see infinites and finites spaces modes ,interesting .The deceleration too ,

Regards

Steve

Georgina Parry wrote on Mar. 22, 2009 @ 01:12 GMT
A thought.

If the 4th dimension is regarded as spatial and extending from the outermost region of the hypersphere to the interior and then directly onwards to the outermost region. Then the 4th dimension can be considered infinite in length.

Einstein wrote x4=ict. If the 4th dimension is infinite then if it is divided by t that gives,

Infinity=ic

If i represents a point in 3D space, since spatial coordinates are represented by the imaginary numbers and the scalar dimension by real number line then,

The movement of a point in space at the speed of light is infinite.

Since it is proposed by the Prime Quaternion model that movement along the 4th dimension at the speed of light of all matter, gives rise to subjective time and gravity. Then it is to be expected that infinity may be encountered when seeking to mathematically define gravity.

Although macroscopic objects are continuously moving along the 4th dimension afore-wards, sub atomic particles move within all 4 dimensions of space, oscillating along the 4th dimension.

The electrostatic and strong nuclear force (tidal forces, according to the Prime quaternion model) ensure that the sub atomic particles are pulled along with the progress of the universe along the 4th dimension, rather than gravity i.e. the continuous afore-ward motion.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Mar. 22, 2009 @ 18:34 GMT
Dear Georgina ,

You know ,I can understand your point of vue and your extrapolations .

I think your concept is mathemathic and not physic.

I like a lot you know maths ,numbers (Dirac ,Ostrogradski,Legendre,newton,...),maths are tools very interesting to calulate and extrapolate ,to improve and proof ,of course .

But the mathematic can be imaginary like complex ,octonions ,quaternions.....It's indeed interesting for some applications in technology ,etc...but the reality is the reality .

Personnally ,I think math and physic are linked of course but the physical reality has its limits and maths and human creativity mind ,No .

That's why I don't see the time in a mathematic point of vue but in a physical reality ,thus as constant in all centers of interest .

Time is not really the fourth dimension ,it's an evolution constant simply ,We can't imagine time with an imaginary mathematical point of vue .

That's why I admit in my theory some physical relative limits in correlation with a real perception and its foundamental laws .

It's the same with all constants ,it's as that ,foundamentals laws.

You know ,me too I like extrapolate ,but I extrapolate in correlation with my human limits and in correlation with spherization,without limits and laws ,it's more difficult I think to understand our Universe and its systems .

It's a little as if I say ,one day star will be a square ,it's an imaginary point of vue ,but after analyses ,I admit it's false ,the star will stay a sphere lol .

About subjectivities ,I prefer objectivity .The gravity ,the interactions ,the fields ,all is unified by the coded rotation and spherical architecture.

Gravity ,mass ,energy ,rotation,....all turns in relativity .

I repeat but I don't perceive our Universe like a fourth dimension ,but three(x,y,z)with a time constant .

You say ...Since it is proposed by the Prime Quaternion model that movement along the 4th dimension at the speed of light of all matter, gives rise to subjective time and gravity.

I don't understand the subjective point .Could you explain me please ?

sincerelly

Steve

Georgina Parry wrote on Mar. 23, 2009 @ 11:52 GMT
There are only 4 spatio-energetic dimensions in the model. So there is no time only space. That is the objective reality. Time is experienced due to motion through that space.

Kinetic energy is movement within 3D space. Promotional energy, that is loss of universal potential energy, is afore-ward movement along the 4th dimension. All objects are in constant afore-ward motion along the 4th...

view entire post

Steve Dufourny wrote on Mar. 23, 2009 @ 20:20 GMT
Hi Georgina ,

Thank you for your explaination ,I understand better the subjective point of vue of time .Your method is clear .

Lol it's not a reason to admit this subjectivity but it's interesting , a very incredible mathematical extrapolation.

Kinds Regards

Steve

Georgina Parry wrote on Mar. 24, 2009 @ 00:35 GMT
Thank you Steve, I'm glad that you appreciate how the model works in this matter, even if you do not agree with it.

The Prime quaternion model clearly separates three kinds of time. Universal time Ut, Subjective time t, and Historical time Ht, (that is the imagined past, present and future along a "time line.)"

This is very important. These three concepts of time are all very different and are currently muddled together causing the problem of comprehension. Time is not one concept but at least 3.

The difference in the motion of macroscopic bodies and sub atomic particles along the 4th dimension, and thus their different experience of Universal time, and also gravity arising from that motion along the 4th dimension, is also very important.

Subjective time can be further separated into externally informed subjective time which involves use of an external timing device (te) and internally informed subjective time (ti) which occurs due to the natural rhythm of the body clock which is set by the effect of light on the organism and stimulation of the pituitary gland.

Brian Beverly wrote on Apr. 10, 2009 @ 09:59 GMT
Further analysis reveals that the no cloning theorem will prevent the previously theorized zombie apocalypse. Phew.... There is no good way to ask this so I'm just going to throw this out there; is anyone interested in purchasing a two year supply of MREs and a bunker full of soviet era munitions?

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'C' and 'E':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.