Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

lionel john: on 6/20/17 at 7:44am UTC, wrote The study of energy in terms of the quantum mechanical concept is quite...

Angela Maria: on 4/20/17 at 7:24am UTC, wrote Good information...Zellmeonline

Angela Maria: on 4/20/17 at 7:22am UTC, wrote Good post..Zellmeonline

Alberta Martin: on 8/22/16 at 11:05am UTC, wrote I have been interested in this topic for quite some time. I have been...

Kamilla Kamilla: on 4/10/16 at 17:15pm UTC, wrote Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real...

amrit: on 1/6/09 at 17:24pm UTC, wrote Dear Prof. Finkelstein Reading your article on FQXi I would like to...

T H Ray: on 12/4/08 at 14:58pm UTC, wrote David, "Emerge. Simplify. Stratify. Localize." What a marvelous way to...

Chi Ming Hung: on 12/3/08 at 0:09am UTC, wrote Prof. Finkelstein, I've been following your work since I read your...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Steve, Please try to understand that infinite surface am not a..." in Watching the Observers

Steve Agnew: "Supposing the universe is infinite is simply another way of supposing the..." in Watching the Observers

kurt stocklmeir: "spring constant of time and space is not linear - this influences a lot of..." in Alternative Models of...

Kevin Adams: "Very interesting theme! Thanks a lot for this information. I just going to..." in Multiversal Journeys —...

Colin Richardson: ""According to quantum mechanics, a vacuum isn't empty at all. It's actually..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

Lorraine Ford: "Dear Rajiv, I have already addressed your 3 points, but I will put it to..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Peter Morgan: "An e-mail sent to me by Springer Nature today tells me that because I am at..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

munized ward: "Variety exists inside all populaces of life forms. This happens somewhat in..." in Natural Selection in...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

FQXi FORUM
June 24, 2017

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest (2008) [back]
TOPIC: Deep quantum time by David Ritz Finkelstein [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

David Ritz Finkelstein wrote on Dec. 1, 2008 @ 17:02 GMT
Essay Abstract

A deep-quantum model of time is described. It begins with a stratified state-vector space without space-time and gauge fields. These emerge from contact exchange interactions and vacuum condensation. The model is an imbedding of the existing singular theories of gravity and GUT within a simple (Clifford) algebra with strata used to represent those of physics. This results in a model that is regular as well as simple. Its phenomenological vacuum is a finite quantum cellular shell truss one cell thick and cosmologically-many cells long, whose struts are quantum trits (three-state elements). Each cell has 10 dimensions transverse to the shell, giving rise to the GUT fermions, and 4 along the shell, giving rise to spin on one stratum and space-time on another. The great anisotropy of the shell results in the great differences between internal and external variables, and between GUT and gravity. For each frame, the longitudinal shell dimension of negative signature is time.

Author Bio

David Ritz Finkelstein is professor emer. of physics at Georgia Tech, where he does research and teaches. He was educated at City College of New York and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and did early work on quantum logic, black holes, gravitational skyrmeons, the electroweak unification, and quantum-computer models of space-time. He suspects that the universe is a kind of quantum cellular neural network, and has been hunting the chronon, the quantum of time, since college. His book Quantum Relativity described this work up to 1996.

Download Essay PDF File

Chi Ming Hung wrote on Dec. 3, 2008 @ 00:09 GMT
Prof. Finkelstein, I've been following your work since I read your "Space-time code" papers in Phys.Rev. years ago. Unfortunately I soon got lost somewhere down the mathematical/logical rabbit hole you led us, no doubt due to my own shortcomings... Glad to see the rabbit hole is getting deeper still...

T H Ray wrote on Dec. 4, 2008 @ 14:58 GMT
David,

"Emerge. Simplify. Stratify. Localize."

What a marvelous way to organize a theory of time in which quantum events drive local observation.

Sea Time and Queue Time appear to be a true unification of relativistic time--where time is a simple continuous and reversible parameter--and quantum momenta, which appear as real-valued outcomes, positive, negative and zero. I love the metaphor of Sea time as a continuous knob and Queue time as many single pole, triple-throw switches. One imagines that the continuous and infinitely orientable "knob" outputs values at every chronon increment that correspond to one of the triple posiitions. Maybe the answer, somewhere in time, really is 42. :-) The model answers Einstein's challenge to discrete physical functions (The Meaning of Relativity), in that although one can give good reasons why reality cannot be represented in a continuous field theory, if quantum theory is correct, one should have a theory that completely describes the world in quantum numbers.

On a personal note, the "truss shell model" spoke to me on an issue I have struggled over in my own research. To arrive at a 10-dimension limit of 4-dimension spacetime, I summed the cardinal points of discrete spatial dimensions up to non-redundant points of the Riemann tensor metric. Though I found the sum useful, I could never identify any good physical reason to do it. Your model ("...the spacetime process itself ...") is exactly what I had in mind and was never so bold to express. The cardinal totality of points in the tensor field (16) with 6 redundant points, results, as you say, in 10 dimensions transverse to each cell. In my model, as in your cold graphene macro-molecule, emergent waves carry away energy. I have generalized to the result:

The 4-dimension horizon is identical to the 10-dimension boundary.

As in your model, this obviates a compactification problem in my model as well. I do hope you can make time to read my FQXI essay, "Time counts."

David Finkelstein, may your tribe increase.

Tom

amrit wrote on Jan. 6, 2009 @ 17:24 GMT
Dear Prof. Finkelstein

Reading your article on FQXi I would like to inform you I have solution for your idea on:

Time does not give birth to such a vacuum but emerges from it.

Vacuum, we can say cosmic space is atemporal. Time emerges from it when we measure duration of material change runing in vacuum-space.

see

-Sorli A. (2008) The Theory of Atemporality

http://www.fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/THE_THEORY_OF_ATE
MOPORALITY.pdf

- Sorli A. (2008) The Concept of Atemporality into The Theory of Relativity

http://www.fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/1_The_Concept_of_
Atemporality_into_The_Theory_of_Relativity__amrit_2008.pdf

yo
urs amrit

Kamilla Kamilla wrote on Apr. 10, 2016 @ 17:15 GMT
Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though.

report post as inappropriate

Alberta Martin wrote on Aug. 22, 2016 @ 11:05 GMT
I have been interested in this topic for quite some time. I have been researching it for a couple of hours and found your post to be very interesting. Cheers! energieaudit

Angela Maria wrote on Apr. 20, 2017 @ 07:22 GMT
Good post..Zellmeonline

Angela Maria replied on Apr. 20, 2017 @ 07:24 GMT
Good information...[url=http://zellmeonline.com]Zellmeonline[/url
]

lionel john wrote on Jun. 20, 2017 @ 07:44 GMT
The study of energy in terms of the quantum mechanical concept is quite interesting and I have not the same in relation with time constrain. This detail regarding the quantum model of time is pretty useful for the readers. Martin Enclosures

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.