Search FQXi

If you have an idea for a blog post or a new forum thread, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org, with a summary of the topic and its source (e.g., an academic paper, conference talk, external blog post or news item).
Contests Home

Previous Contests

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Martin Green: on 12/8/08 at 2:40am UTC, wrote Dear Cristi, Thank you for reading my essay and for your comment. While I...

Cristi Stoica: on 12/6/08 at 17:30pm UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Green, I enjoyed the approach to describe the emergence of our...

Martin A. Green: on 11/28/08 at 9:31am UTC, wrote Essay Abstract Some unique source - the world, W - must underly all...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

John Cox: "Tom, I'm pretty sure you are playing with a full deck. And I think one of..." in Why Quantum?

Thomas Ray: "Trouble is, they may be my only trump cards! Let's see. :-)" in Why Quantum?

Pentcho Valev: "Analogy Between Sound and Light Refutes Einstein Professor Martin White,..." in Q&A with David Rideout:...

Anonymous: "The crisis in the fundamental physics, including cosmology - the "crisis..." in Is the Past Infinite?

Georgina Parry: "Congratulations to the top prize winners and thank you FQXi for the video..." in Your Invitation to FQXi's...

amrit : "Time travel are out of question. One can travel in space only." in Q&A with Paul Davies:...

amrit: "Time has only a mathematical existence." in Q&A with Paul Davies:...

Brendan Foster: "Special Urgent Announcement!!! Make sure to watch live today at..." in How Should Humanity Steer...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantifying Occam
Is the simplest answer always the best? Connecting Medieval monks to computational complexity, using the branch of mathematics known as category theory.

Heart of Darkness
An intrepid physicist attempts to climb into the core of black hole.

Why Quantum?
Entropy could explain why nature chose to play by quantum rules.

Reality's NeverEnding Story
A quantum version of Darwinian natural selection could enable the universe to write itself into being.

The Quantum Dictionary
Mark Van Raamsdonk is re-writing how we define the shape of our universe. Can such translations help to unite quantum theory and gravity?

FQXi FORUM
August 22, 2014

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest [back]
TOPIC: Reality - an emerging representation of the world by Martin A. Green [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Martin A. Green wrote on Nov. 28, 2008 @ 09:31 GMT
Essay Abstract

Some unique source - the world, W - must underly all the information realized in the universe throughout time. Perceived reality, R, is a progressively emerging representation of W in the form of the geometrical universe. Time corresponds to the process of emergence. When first represented in R, information about W is expressed in a non-localized, quantum manner. As the emergence proceeds, most information becomes inaccessible (entropy), supporting the robust, redundant encoding of accessible records. The past is encoded in and inferred from present records; the anticipated future will preserve present information and reveal unpredictable new information about W. Emergence of the future demands non-unitary reduction of quantum states and increased Kolmogorov complexity of the quasi-classical records in terms of which the quantum states are known. Given the limited information content of records, the quasi-classical universe lacks fine details; whereas the future must be uncertain to admit new information.

Author Bio

Martin Green received his PhD in theoretical physics at the University of Toronto in 1980. After many years R&D on electrical power systems and nuclear reactors his focus shifted to computing, networks and information security. He moved to senior information security roles in the financial sector and now e-health. For the past five years he has resumed his research on foundational problems in physics, on a part-time basis, at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.

Download Essay PDF File

Cristi Stoica wrote on Dec. 6, 2008 @ 17:30 GMT
Dear Dr. Green,

I enjoyed the approach to describe the emergence of our representation of the world, by experiments and perception, which you presented in your essay. Please allow me to present you some modest ideas that can be viewed as complementary to your approach: I present briefly in one section of my essay how we can represent the world as a mathematical structure (detailed in http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00004355/), as well as a mechanism of collecting information by quantum observations, and its relation with the free-will.

Best wishes,

Cristi Stoica

“Flowing with a Frozen River”,

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/322

Martin Green wrote on Dec. 8, 2008 @ 02:40 GMT
Dear Cristi,

Thank you for reading my essay and for your comment.

While I believe that the ultimate structure - the world - is inherently mathematical, I believe that it is at a different level of abstraction (level-1) from our perceived reality (level-2). In seeking an understanding of the structure of the world, my objective has been to follow Einstein's lead and strip out all that is arbitrary or superfluous - hence my elimination of geometry, fields and restrictions on global connectivity in arriving at a generic 4-manifold (the topoverse). Time thus disappears from level-1 and first appears in level-2, as the hierarchical nesting of representations.

Assuming our perceived reality is indeed a progressively emerging representation of the world, it may prove intractable to find a comprehensive, mathematically rigorous, characterization of this representation. So we are left to develop mathematical models (level-3) that characterize aspects of perceived reality with varying degrees of fidelity.

Your "world theory" may serve as a general framework for our level-3 models of perceived reality. I am open to any models that are fully compatible with our perceptions and that are applied within their proved domain of applicability. I don't expect any model to be perfect; I will value the models that most efficiently and reliably organize our observational knowledge. Understanding the conceptual relationship of leve-3 models to the higher levels should guide our use, further development, and integration of these models.

Martin Green

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.