Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Greg Fantle: on 12/15/17 at 1:08am UTC, wrote Brush your hair! You look like a homeless person.

thuy lien: on 12/13/17 at 2:11am UTC, wrote Good article, thanks for sharing. ...

Joe Fisher: on 12/11/17 at 16:27pm UTC, wrote Dear Georgina, I failed to mention that although conventional chess game...

Joe Fisher: on 12/11/17 at 16:06pm UTC, wrote Dear Steve Agnew, On December 7, 2017, I have emailed : “Dear...

Joe Fisher: on 12/11/17 at 15:48pm UTC, wrote Dear John R Cox Joseph William Fisher am a real person with a real...

Dorothy Dora: on 12/11/17 at 0:35am UTC, wrote Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will...

Steve Agnew: on 12/10/17 at 17:02pm UTC, wrote Black hole singularities represent the boundary of what is knowable...

John Cox: on 12/10/17 at 15:38pm UTC, wrote Caution to Robert and Georgina, I have long suspected that the user name...

FQXi FORUM
December 15, 2017

ARTICLE: The Complexity Conundrum [back to article]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Joe Fisher wrote on Dec. 6, 2017 @ 16:59 GMT
Dear Mitch Waldrop,

Nature must have designed the structure of the real visible Universe and made it apparent to every real creature that would ever exist. The real Universe must consist of only one single unified visible infinite surface occurring eternally in one single infinite dimension that am illuminated mostly by finite non-surface light. All speculation about the complex behavior of invisible quantum particles am unnatural.

Joe Fisher, ORCID ID 0000-0003-3988-8687. Unaffiliated

report post as inappropriate

Robert H McEachern wrote on Dec. 8, 2017 @ 14:15 GMT
"Yet the mathematics of Hawking radiation is very clear on this point: the quantum state of any one radiation particle is random, and carries no useful information."

The problem is not with the math, but with the misinterpretation of what the math means. A random state DOES contain information. In fact, a random sequence has the highest possible density of information. Problem solved.

"Physicists had to accept that this ’uncertainty principle’ wasn’t just a practical limitation of their measuring apparatus, but a fundamental limitation on the kinds of questions they could ask experimentally."

The uncertainty principle is identical to saying that every measurement must contain >= one bit of information. If you have failed to extract at least one bit of information from a measarement, then you have failed to perform anything worthy of being called a measurement.

Rob McEachern

John R. Cox replied on Dec. 9, 2017 @ 12:53 GMT
Robert,

I think you are quite correct in that. I've been musing on a scenario of an electron - positron annihilation event and while it can be seen physically as an instant in which there only exists opposite charge, it also must be reckoned that all the associated spin measurement characteristics must also come into chirality anti-alignment for the opposites to physically merge into that instantaneous transmutation from mass to energy.

So yes, there is all the information there in that one bit. jrc

Robert H McEachern replied on Dec. 9, 2017 @ 16:42 GMT
John,

I recently came across this quote from Dirac (who first predicted the existence of the positron), in connection with a reading and discussion course I am going to be leading this spring, based on the Quantum Theory selections in the book "What's the Matter - Readings in Physics" (https://store.greatbooks.org/colleges-book-groups/what-s-th
e-matter-readings-in-physics.html) from the Great Books Foundation:

“The important thing about electrons and protons is not what they are but how they behave, how they move. I can describe the situation by comparing it to the game of chess. In chess, we have various chessmen, kings, knights, pawns and so on. If you ask what a chessman is, the answer would be that it is a piece of wood, or a piece of ivory, or perhaps just a sign written on paper, or anything whatever. It does not matter. Each chessman has a characteristic way of moving and this is all that matters about it.” P.A.M. Dirac

I agree. Quantum Physics only describes how things are observed to behave, not what they are, or why they exhibit such behaviors; that is what information is all about - the behavior of measurements of things, rather than either the things per se or their behaviors. There are "things", "behaviors of things" and "measurements of behaviors of things" and they are all different. Physics has confused them. Here are some additional thoughts on the subject, that I have been putting together, for the above mentioned course: What Went Wrong with the “interpretation” of Quantum Theory?

Rob McEachern

John R. Cox replied on Dec. 9, 2017 @ 20:13 GMT
Thanks Robert,

I'll make note. Sounds like good reading. :-) jrc

Joe Fisher wrote on Dec. 8, 2017 @ 15:36 GMT
Dear Robert H Mceachern,

The real visible Universe consists of only one single unified VISIBLE infinite surface eternally occurring in one single infinite dimension that am mostly eternally illuminated by finite non-surface light. Reality contains no humanly contrived abstract finite INVISIBLE “uncertainty principle.”

Joe Fisher, ORCID ID 0000-0003-3988-8687. Unaffiliated

Steve Agnew wrote on Dec. 10, 2017 @ 17:02 GMT
Black hole singularities represent the boundary of what is knowable classically. However, in the determinate geodesics of general relativity, there is no sense to any determinate and therefore knowable paths inside of a black hole.

This article proposes that the many possible paths of a particle at an event horizon are just a result of purely classical chaos. It is just the exponentially large number of paths that preclude knowing what is a fundamentally determinate and therefore knowable particle path.

The interaction of a quantum particle with an event horizon is what results in Hawking radiation and also what results in firewalls and also eternally collapsing objects. Quantum phase has no meaning in the Oppenheimer dust of a classic black hole, but that does not stop very smart people from calculating things like Hawking radiation or firewalls or eco's and then endlessly arguing about them.

Good luck to Brown and Susskind. The complexity of the math of this topic will likely result in a perfectly acceptable and utterly opaque papers that even very smart people will argue about endlessly.

There really needs to be some kind of quantum gravity theory in place before anyone can ever make sense out of the quantum phase noise at an event horizon or any spacetime singularity. What these kinds of papers end up doing is simply showing that science does not yet have a way to handle quantum phase noise at spacetime singularities like black holes.

Joe Fisher replied on Dec. 11, 2017 @ 16:06 GMT
Dear Steve Agnew,

On December 7, 2017, I have emailed : “Dear Theoretical Physicist Adam Brown;

You wrote in the opening paragraph of a project Complexity, Black Holes, and Observers that you submitted to FQXi.org: “There are some (abstract) things that no single (abstract) observer can know, even in principle.

I know that the real VISIBLE Universe consists only of one single unified VISIBLE infinite surface occurring eternally in one single infinite dimension that am mostly illuminated by finite non-surface light because no matter in which direction I look, I only see a seamlessly enmeshed plethora of flat, filled in, varied hued surface. I find it doubtful that Nature would have given just this singular observational capability to only me, so I am confident that any real eye could only ever see a seamlessly enmeshed plethora of flat, filled in, varied hued surface. I am confident that the real eyes of the real dinosaurs only ever saw a seamlessly enmeshed plethora of flat, filled in, varied hued surface no matter in which direction they looked during their whole lifetime. As this happened over a million years before man appeared on the planet, I KNOW THAT ALL THE INFORMATION WRITTEN BY MAN CONCERNING INVISIBLE BLACK HOLES AM UTTERLY WRONG.

I know you are an ethical SCIENTIST. Please return the $37,500 you were Granted for your worthless project to the Foundational Questions Institute.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Joe Fisher wrote on Dec. 11, 2017 @ 16:27 GMT
Dear Georgina,

I failed to mention that although conventional chess game proficiency can be programmed into a computer and simultaneously played by some blindfolded Chess Masters, Grandmaster Fischer Chess games cannot be programmed into a computer, and no blindfolded game could ever be played. Bobby Fischer Chess allows the random first row placement of the eight major pieces at the commencement of each game.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Greg Fantle wrote on Dec. 15, 2017 @ 01:08 GMT
Brush your hair! You look like a homeless person.

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.