Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Joe Fisher: on 3/19/17 at 15:49pm UTC, wrote Dear George Rajna, Please excuse me for I have no intention of...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/17/17 at 23:43pm UTC, wrote Nice essay Rajna, Wonderful sentences!….. “The hypothesis that there...

Peter Jackson: on 3/16/17 at 18:48pm UTC, wrote George, A very interesting essay with some good & useful references. We...

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 3/15/17 at 16:29pm UTC, wrote Dear, Джорджа rajna. I inform all the participants that use the...

Lee Bloomquist: on 3/14/17 at 23:28pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Rajna, These directions of information flow involving memory...

Héctor Gianni: on 3/14/17 at 19:15pm UTC, wrote Dear George Rajna I invite you and every physicist to read my work “TIME...

George Rajna: on 3/14/17 at 16:18pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract The hypothesis that there may be something...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Gary Simpson, While PHALLUS is an abreviantion, a phallus is a Willy, a..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

jay grey: "Thanks for the link, I believe it will be very useful for personal..." in Santa Barbara Gravity...

Lorraine Ford: "Good one Gary! Regards, Lorraine" in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Joe Fisher: "Attempting to account for complex finite invisible particles will not help..." in Bohemian Reality:...

jany watson: "At we have a long list of similar http://www.essayhelperuk.co.uk/law-essay..." in Koalas, Quantum Mechanics...

James Putnam: ""The math time = 1/nu defines time ... " Nu is cycles/second. 1/nu is..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Agnew: "Your work has shown how normal physics like S&Z mass, length, and time have..." in Alternative Models of...

kab: "The word is enternal magic. Hope all secret never has answer will be out..." in Does Quantum Weirdness...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
March 28, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Information Flow in the Brain by George Rajna [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 3.0; Public = 1.0

Author George Rajna wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 16:18 GMT
Essay Abstract

The hypothesis that there may be something quantum-like about the human mental function was put forward with “Spooky Activation at Distance” formula which attempted to model the effect that when a word’s associative network is activated during study in memory experiment; it behaves like a quantum-entangled system. The human body is a constant flux of thousands of chemical/biological interactions and processes connecting molecules, cells, organs, and fluids, throughout the brain, body, and nervous system. Up until recently it was thought that all these interactions operated in a linear sequence, passing on information much like a runner passing the baton to the next runner. However, the latest findings in quantum biology and biophysics have discovered that there is in fact a tremendous degree of coherence within all living systems.

Author Bio

M. Sc., Physics at Eötvös Loránd University. The SOA Category Winner of the first Connected Systems Developer Competition of Microsoft in San Francisco 2005 with the Next Generation Court System - achieving also the Best Enterprise Mission Critical System Award FY 2005 of Bill Gates. Artificial Intelligence Researcher participated on the 1st World Computer Chess Championship in Stockholm, 1974. International Master of Chess and was among the Top 100 Players of the World in 1987.

Download Essay PDF File

Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 19:15 GMT
Dear George Rajna

I invite you and every physicist to read my work “TIME ORIGIN,DEFINITION AND EMPIRICAL MEANING FOR PHYSICISTS, Héctor Daniel Gianni ,I’m not a physicist.

How people interested in “Time” could feel about related things to the subject.

1) Intellectuals interested in Time issues usually have a nice and creative wander for the unknown.

2) They usually enjoy this wander of their searches around it.

3) For millenniums this wander has been shared by a lot of creative people around the world.

4) What if suddenly, something considered quasi impossible to be found or discovered such as “Time” definition and experimental meaning confronts them?

5) Their reaction would be like, something unbelievable,… a kind of disappointment, probably interpreted as a loss of wander…..

6) ….worst than that, if we say that what was found or discovered wasn’t a viable theory, but a proved fact.

7) Then it would become offensive to be part of the millenary problem solution, instead of being a reason for happiness and satisfaction.

8) The reader approach to the news would be paradoxically adverse.

9) Instead, I think it should be a nice welcome to discovery, to be received with opened arms and considered to be read with full attention.

11)Time “existence” is exclusive as a “measuring system”, its physical existence can’t be proved by science, as the “time system” is. Experimentally “time” is “movement”, we can prove that, showing that with clocks we measure “constant and uniform” movement and not “the so called Time”.

12)The original “time manuscript” has 23 pages, my manuscript in this contest has only 9 pages.

I share this brief with people interested in “time” and with physicists who have been in sore need of this issue for the last 50 or 60 years.

Héctor

report post as inappropriate

Lee Bloomquist wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 23:28 GMT
Dear Mr. Rajna,

These directions of information flow involving memory recall-- the ability of researchers to alter memories by getting subjects to recall them, then add yet another memory to the mix then store, which will then be recalled during a later session as veridical memory--

Rather than a memory being an Object, it seems from these experiments that a memory is more like a Process, which is run in long term memory, or during recall, run in short term memory-- in either case called from and using computing power available there locally.

So for example, in The Dream Child Hypothesis, the memories from the womb, before the self has arrived, involve no recall of self because it hasn't yet arrived. But when the self does arrive, the memories are then run in short term memory in the presence of the self, and then after that, the newly arrived self is incorporated into the memory, in its running in long term memory, and therefore in subsequent recalls.

Before proprioception and breathing (and smelling), these memories involve no self. But after the self arrives-- along with breath, proprioception and smell-- these memories do then involve the self.

Would that be the same or different from what you are saying?

Best,

LB

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Mar. 15, 2017 @ 16:29 GMT
Dear, Джорджа rajna.

I inform all the participants that use the electronic translator, therefore, my essay is written badly. I participate in the contest to familiarize English-speaking scientists with New Cartesian Physic, the basis of which the principle of identity of space and matter. Combining space and matter into a single essence, the New Cartesian Physic is able to integrate modern physics into a single theory. Let FQXi will be the starting point of this Association.

Don't let the New Cartesian Physic disappear! Do not ask for himself, but for Descartes.

New Cartesian Physic has great potential in understanding the world. To show potential in this essay I risked give "The way of The materialist explanation of the paranormal and the supernatural" - Is the name of my essay.

Visit my essay and you will find something in it about New Cartesian Physic. After you leave a post in my topic, I shall do the same I

Sincerely,

Dizhechko Boris

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 16, 2017 @ 18:48 GMT
George,

A very interesting essay with some good & useful references. We certainly agree on the importance of quantum scale interactions to consciousness. You nicely paint a very broad picture though with some nice detail. Mine has complementarity and goes further by identifying an actual classical mechanism producing the effects you invoke, so verifying your hypotheses but allowing a physical derivation (though I also identify why science can't progress using current thinking habits!

Yours also verifies mine in similar way, (though current interpretation still requires QM to be 'mystical'). Thank you for that. I do hope you appreciate and like mine too, and perhpas will watch the video which comprehensively derives all the supposedly unphysical effects of QM classically;

Classic QM https://vimeo.com/195020202

Very nicely done, hitting the important part of the topic, and the language use is steadily improving too. A top mark on the way to compensate for the 'trolling' your score seems to have n been hit by (mine too; 7 times!).

Best of luck

Peter

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 17, 2017 @ 23:43 GMT
Nice essay Rajna,

Wonderful sentences!….. “The hypothesis that there may be something quantum-like about the human mental function was put forward with “Spooky Activation at Distance” formula which attempted to model the effect that when a word’s associative network is activated during study in memory experiment; it behaves like a quantumentangled system.

Which comes...

view entire post

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 19, 2017 @ 15:49 GMT
Dear George Rajna,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'K' and 'M':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.