Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 4/7/17 at 2:54am UTC, wrote Dear Sirs! Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of...

Yehuda Atai: on 3/28/17 at 16:31pm UTC, wrote Hi Alexi Your essay and the way you think out of the box amaze me. You...

Bayarsaikhan Choisuren: on 3/26/17 at 0:55am UTC, wrote Dear Alexi Parizeau, “IN SEARCH OF PURPOSE TOOLS FOR THE STUDY OF...

David Pinyana: on 3/21/17 at 22:54pm UTC, wrote Why are we here? What’s our purpose? We are here simply because the...

Joe Fisher: on 3/18/17 at 15:42pm UTC, wrote Dear Alexi Parizeau, Please excuse me for I have no intention of...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/17/17 at 23:29pm UTC, wrote Nice essay Parizeau, Good method … “III. A GENERAL PROCEDURE FOR...

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 3/15/17 at 16:38pm UTC, wrote Dear, Алекси Parizeau. I inform all the participants that use the...

Héctor Gianni: on 3/14/17 at 19:22pm UTC, wrote Dear Alexi Parizeau I invite you and every physicist to read my work...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Agnew: "The universe is finite and not infinite. The notion of infinity or..." in Watching the Observers

Anonymous: ""According to quantum mechanics, a vacuum isn't empty at all. It's actually..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

Lorraine Ford: "Dear Rajiv, I have already addressed your 3 points, but I will put it to..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Georgina, That is very interesting, but please remember that the..." in Watching the Observers

Peter Morgan: "An e-mail sent to me by Springer Nature today tells me that because I am at..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

munized ward: "Variety exists inside all populaces of life forms. This happens somewhat in..." in Natural Selection in...

Pentcho Valev: "Not Even Wrong Concepts in Physics: Entropy The following argument is..." in We Are All Connected

Rajiv Singh: "Dear Lorraine, Oh! I did not check your recent responses. Let me address..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

FQXi FORUM
June 23, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: In Search of Purpose by Alexi Parizeau [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Alexi Parizeau wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 16:16 GMT
Essay Abstract

Why are we here? What’s our purpose? These are questions perhaps as old as humanity. And yet no lasting answer has emerged to satisfy our curiosity. Some have argued that before we can hope to answer such probing questions, we must first know exactly what we’re inquiring about. For instance, surely the question of “life’s meaning” demands we first know what “life” and “meaning” are. But what if this wasn’t so? What if the question of “life’s meaning” isn’t so much about life and meaning as it is about the systems that can understand the intention of this question? If so, then I ask, what are those systems and how do we study them? Before trying to answer this question, I suggest taking a step back, since hard problems can sometimes be solved by using new theoretical tools. In particular, there seems to be some utility in first examining two elementary concepts in mathematics: ‘nothingness’ and ‘being undefined’. By applying these concepts in the context of meta-mathematics, we can produce a meta-mathematical formulation of the empty set. This then helps to illuminate a simple procedure for detecting rules in recurrent systems. And with this procedure, we can define a function for measuring ‘critical explainability’ and then use it to show that a system is only a rational and reflexive semantic agent when it grows in critical explainability. I then posit that we are such agents and we have this characteristic. If true, this may be an answer to the question of life’s meaning.

Author Bio

Alexi Parizeau is currently a student at Goldsmiths, University of London. His current research interests include the foundations of knowledge, ethics, and the search for a rigorous characterization of sapience.

Download Essay PDF File

Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 19:22 GMT
Dear Alexi Parizeau

I invite you and every physicist to read my work “TIME ORIGIN,DEFINITION AND EMPIRICAL MEANING FOR PHYSICISTS, Héctor Daniel Gianni ,I’m not a physicist.

How people interested in “Time” could feel about related things to the subject.

1) Intellectuals interested in Time issues usually have a nice and creative wander for the unknown.

2) They...

view entire post

report post as inappropriate

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Mar. 15, 2017 @ 16:38 GMT
Dear, Алекси Parizeau.

I inform all the participants that use the electronic translator, therefore, my essay is written badly. I participate in the contest to familiarize English-speaking scientists with New Cartesian Physic, the basis of which the principle of identity of space and matter. Combining space and matter into a single essence, the New Cartesian Physic is able to...

view entire post

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 17, 2017 @ 23:29 GMT
Nice essay Parizeau,

Good method … “III. A GENERAL PROCEDURE FOR DETECTING RULES IN RECURRENT SYSTEMS

To see how metamathematical empty sets might be useful to the study of intelligent systems, I

suggest applying it in a procedure for probing unknown, interactive or only partially observable

axiomatic systems, which we can refer to as ‘black...

view entire post

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 15:42 GMT
Dear Alexi Parizeau,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

David Pinyana wrote on Mar. 21, 2017 @ 22:54 GMT
Why are we here? What’s our purpose?

We are here simply because the "SYSTEM UNIVERSE" allows it, and there is no any purpose on it.

I do not think we are so important as to give another answer.

Bayarsaikhan Bayarsaikhan Choisuren wrote on Mar. 26, 2017 @ 00:55 GMT
Dear Alexi Parizeau,

“IN SEARCH OF PURPOSE TOOLS FOR THE STUDY OF INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS THAT STUDY INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS ALEXI PARIZEAU*, GOLDSMITHS, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON”

I have read some essays including your essay in the Contest.

I like this phrase in your essay-

We’ve now completed the task of defining our tools. Let’s now use them to express a necessary characteristic of intelligent systems that study themselves. We’ll then return to the perennial question of “Why are we here?” and see if this characteristic might provide us with a novel answer. To start, let’s have

Yehuda Atai wrote on Mar. 28, 2017 @ 16:31 GMT
Hi Alexi

Your essay and the way you think out of the box amaze me. You call for a challenge. Your meditation into the space, you're zooming into the nano is great. Your idea infect leads to the development of a new mathematical formulation that are the base of a new discovered substrata of natural language.

A great approach you take in your essay and I tend to agree with you. In my essay I show that We have a sub strata of natural language of maintaining the unique self organization, the phenomenon, from the sub particle (waive) to life forms and other forms like energy=mater, from quarks (1 in the power of -24 Has been proved) to stars and galaxies and vis versa within the nano level of 1 in the power of -34 (hasn't been proved). All this in a universe of finitude phenomenon to endless phenomena.

In my essay I show first, the way we ratifying continuously our concreteness as self organization also we change all the time while keeping our perception as unique self. As Socrates, as Alexi etc. And second, I show that it is all in the qualities of the movement attributes. It is all ontological and subjective and that is it's/our eminent beauty.

I wonder about your feedback on my essay : "we are together, therefore I am", and maybe you will find a way to define in a mathematical way, a model the language of the Attributes of the Movement-phenomenon.

with great expectation

Yehuda Atai

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Apr. 7, 2017 @ 02:54 GMT
Dear Sirs!

Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of Newton returned as the New Cartesian Physic and promises to be a theory of everything. To tell you this good news I use spam.

New Cartesian Physic based on the identity of space and matter. It showed that the formula of mass-energy equivalence comes from the pressure of the Universe, the flow of force which on the corpuscle is equal to the product of Planck's constant to the speed of light.

New Cartesian Physic has great potential for understanding the world. To show it, I ventured to give "materialistic explanations of the paranormal and supernatural" is the title of my essay.

Visit my essay, you will find there the New Cartesian Physic and make a short entry: "I believe that space is a matter" I will answer you in return. Can put me 1.

Sincerely,

Dizhechko Boris

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.