Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Roumen Tsekov: on 12/25/08 at 22:31pm UTC, wrote The quantum Darwinism is a consequence from the Copenhagen interpretation...

amrit: on 12/8/08 at 13:38pm UTC, wrote basic frequency of quanta of space is a driving force of the evolution,...

John Campbell: on 11/16/08 at 16:47pm UTC, wrote It may come as a surprise to many to see a proposed fundamental physical...

John Campbell: on 11/16/08 at 16:19pm UTC, wrote Congratulations Anil Anathaswamy on a great article. I have been following...

John Merryman: on 11/8/08 at 3:20am UTC, wrote Rather than the fundamental dimension going from past to future which...

FQXi FORUM
March 25, 2017

ARTICLE: Quantum Darwinism [back to article]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

John Merryman wrote on Nov. 8, 2008 @ 03:20 GMT
Rather than the fundamental dimension going from past to future which Relativity treats time, if it is instead an emergent property of motion, then each state is replaced by the next, so time, as the series of events, goes from future potential to past circumstance. So macroscopic reality emerges from the quantum field and recedes into the past, as a result of this reductionist Darwinism.

report post as inappropriate

John Campbell wrote on Nov. 16, 2008 @ 16:19 GMT
Congratulations Anil Anathaswamy on a great article. I have been following Zurek's work on quantum darwinism for some time. Please contact me at jockocampbell@gmail.com as I have some further information on this subject I would like to share with you.

Cheers

John Campbell

John Campbell wrote on Nov. 16, 2008 @ 16:47 GMT
It may come as a surprise to many to see a proposed fundamental physical theory that employs a Darwinian process at its core. Isn't Darwinism biological? What is it doing in physics?

Lee Smolin also has a cosmological theory based on a Darwinian process: Cosmological Natural Selection.

Of course Natural Selection is the central organizing principal of Biology but there are also other Biological quasi-independent theories such as the Bayesian Brain that explain much of neurobiology and behaviour in terms of a Darwinian process.

In the social sciences there are at least a dozen fields of study with 'evolutionary' in their titles: evolutionary psychology, evolutionary linguistics, evolutionary economics, evolutionary archeology etc.

In fact there are well developed scientific theories that explain the creation and evolution of much of scientific subject matter in terms of Darwinian processes. I have used the term 'Universal Darwinism' to encapsulate the idea that these theories may come to provide a unified approach to understanding the creation and evolution of scientific subject matter.

I have attempted to provide a more complete overview of these theories and some of the researchers, including Zurek, working on them at:Universal Darwinism web site

amrit wrote on Dec. 8, 2008 @ 13:38 GMT
basic frequency of quanta of space is a driving force of the evolution, space plays an active role into evolution of life that is an cosmic phenomena, life develops into entire universe

attachments: IIGSS_BASIC_FREQUENCY.pdf

Roumen Tsekov wrote on Dec. 25, 2008 @ 22:31 GMT
The quantum Darwinism is a consequence from the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics. For instance, there are no superposition problem in the Bohmian mechanics and any transition of quantum to classical. Simply, if the mass of a particle is high enough that the quantum potential is negligible, the particle is described by the classical mechanics. It is nice that the coming year 2009 is dedicated to Darwin, which will certainly accelerate the discussions on the quantum Darwinism as well. Happy New Year!

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'E' and 'G':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.