Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

David Moran: on 5/10/17 at 2:18am UTC, wrote Thank you all for your kind remarks and comments and additions during this...

Kenneth K.Gidley: on 5/9/17 at 10:41am UTC, wrote Essay Writing is the cry out of every student planning to graduate. British...

Cảnh Audio: on 4/11/17 at 7:49am UTC, wrote Dear David I propose in my essay that consciousness is what transforms...

Cảnh Audio: on 4/7/17 at 12:28pm UTC, wrote Dear David, How people interested in “Time” could feel about related...

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 4/7/17 at 3:09am UTC, wrote Dear Sirs! Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of...

Cảnh Audio: on 4/6/17 at 17:47pm UTC, wrote Your post is very helpful to get some effective tips to reduce weight...

Jan-Axel Nyman: on 4/3/17 at 9:10am UTC, wrote Dear Professor Moran, I have read your inspiring essay a couple of times....

Rajiv Singh: on 4/2/17 at 11:56am UTC, wrote Dear David, "Information is the primary “substance” of the universe,...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Lorraine, No visible finite “Multi-cellular organisms have ever..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Lorraine, No visible finite “Multi-cellular organisms have ever..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Nitina oania: "http://freerobuxgenerator.net" in Quantum Replicants:...

Nitina oania: "We below at Chikara Video Game" understand exactly what it resembles to..." in Quantum Replicants:...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi John, I don't know what you just said but it sounds a lot more..." in Sounding the Drums to...

John Cox: "Georgi, I would say that designing an 'interface'; from a nexus of..." in Sounding the Drums to...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

FQXi FORUM
August 18, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Information Theory by David Dunstan Moran [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author David Dunstan Moran wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 15:51 GMT
Essay Abstract

The fundamental postulate of this presentation is that: To convert information content of a concept-or law to knowledge requires energy expenditure. We are the source or the effectors of that energy focusing. There may exist other “effectors” elsewhere in space-time but we are presently the only ones of which we have any awareness.

Author Bio

David D. Moran is a Professor, Adjunct at WVU, educated at MIT, Harvard and U.Iowa, holding a Ph.D. in Hydrodynamics. He has been a professor at the US Naval Academy and at GWU, Director of the David Taylor Institute, Assistant Technical Director and Director of Research at the Naval Ship R&D Center, President of the National Technology Transfer Center, Program Manager at the Office of Naval Research, Program Element Administrator for Nuclear Propulsion at the Naval Material Command, and President of Technology International Partnerships.

Download Essay PDF File

Dariusz Krzywicki wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 19:41 GMT
Dear David Moran

In Gutenberg galaxy we have flow of noice,not flow on information.We need a data reducion.To convert information we need common representation.For human organism

information not exist. Exist only retract all information to Nielsen number 3.

Its constans tempetature.See Landau dumping as a global quantum.

Dariusz Krzywicki

report post as inappropriate

Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 19:55 GMT
Dear David Dunstan Moran

I invite you and every physicist to read my work “TIME ORIGIN,DEFINITION AND EMPIRICAL MEANING FOR PHYSICISTS, Héctor Daniel Gianni ,I’m not a physicist.

How people interested in “Time” could feel about related things to the subject.

1) Intellectuals interested in Time issues usually have a nice and creative wander for the unknown.

2) They usually enjoy this wander of their searches around it.

3) For millenniums this wander has been shared by a lot of creative people around the world.

4) What if suddenly, something considered quasi impossible to be found or discovered such as “Time” definition and experimental meaning confronts them?

5) Their reaction would be like, something unbelievable,… a kind of disappointment, probably interpreted as a loss of wander…..

6) ….worst than that, if we say that what was found or discovered wasn’t a viable theory, but a proved fact.

7) Then it would become offensive to be part of the millenary problem solution, instead of being a reason for happiness and satisfaction.

8) The reader approach to the news would be paradoxically adverse.

9) Instead, I think it should be a nice welcome to discovery, to be received with opened arms and considered to be read with full attention.

11)Time “existence” is exclusive as a “measuring system”, its physical existence can’t be proved by science, as the “time system” is. Experimentally “time” is “movement”, we can prove that, showing that with clocks we measure “constant and uniform” movement and not “the so called Time”.

12)The original “time manuscript” has 23 pages, my manuscript in this contest has only 9 pages.

I share this brief with people interested in “time” and with physicists who have been in sore need of this issue for the last 50 or 60 years.

Héctor

David Brown wrote on Mar. 15, 2017 @ 15:04 GMT
"... Dr. Murray Gell-Mann posed ... Is there a place or time in the development of the universe where entropy actually decreased? ..."

Is there any hope of reformulating String Theory without supersymmetry?, quora.com

"There is today a disconnect in the world of physics. Let me put it bluntly. There are physicists, and there are string theorists. Of course the string theorists are...

view entire post

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 17, 2017 @ 15:12 GMT
Nice essay Prof Moran,

Your questions and thinking are excellent for eg…

The three questions were:

• Is there a place in the space-time continuum where the logarithm of xy does not equal the log of x plus the log of y?;

• Is there a place or time in the development of the universe where entropy naturally decreased?; and,

• Can you derive a model for...

view entire post

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 17, 2017 @ 15:45 GMT
Dear Professor David Dunstan Moran,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Patrick Tonin wrote on Mar. 29, 2017 @ 10:30 GMT
Dear David,

We have similar views that information is ubiquitous in the Universe and that it is at the basis of everything. You have realised that something is needed to convert that information into a reality but what could that thing be ? Here, our views differ slightly.

I propose in my essay that consciousness is what transforms "potential" information into "real" meaningfull information. I would love to have your comments on it, if you have the time.

In any case, I believe that your essay deserves a much better ranking.

Cheers,

Patrick

Michael Alexeevich Popov wrote on Mar. 30, 2017 @ 16:57 GMT
David,

If the real is clarified by the ideal a priori mathematical law, then to convert bits of information content of mathematical law to systematic knowledge require unlimited energy expenditure in the case of becoming Universe. ?

Respectfully

Michael

Essay " Kantian Answers "

Rajiv K Singh wrote on Apr. 2, 2017 @ 11:56 GMT
Dear David,

"Information is the primary “substance” of the universe, meaning that, without information, the universe is just mass and energy without interaction or conceptual laws of behavior."

When I started reading the essays by others, it surprised me that how little the number of people who placed emphasis on the centrality of semantics of information. Apart from yours, it...

view entire post

Jan-Axel Nyman wrote on Apr. 3, 2017 @ 09:10 GMT
Dear Professor Moran,

I have read your inspiring essay a couple of times. It really triggered my imagination.

Let’s assume that in the very beginning there is only energy, manifested as linear motion of primordial entities of energy at the speed of light.  Can such entities be described as bits – mathematical bits as well as bits of energy? If so – what is the least amount of...

view entire post

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Apr. 7, 2017 @ 03:09 GMT
Dear Sirs!

Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of Newton returned as the New Cartesian Physic and promises to be a theory of everything. To tell you this good news I use spam.

New Cartesian Physic based on the identity of space and matter. It showed that the formula of mass-energy equivalence comes from the pressure of the Universe, the flow of force which on the corpuscle is equal to the product of Planck's constant to the speed of light.

New Cartesian Physic has great potential for understanding the world. To show it, I ventured to give "materialistic explanations of the paranormal and supernatural" is the title of my essay.

Visit my essay, you will find there the New Cartesian Physic and make a short entry: "I believe that space is a matter" I will answer you in return. Can put me 1.

Sincerely,

Dizhechko Boris

Cảnh Hằng Audio wrote on Apr. 7, 2017 @ 12:28 GMT
Dear David,

How people interested in “Time” could feel about related things to the subject.

I have suggested the Milgrom Denial Hypothesis: The main problem with string theory is that string theorists fail to realize that Milgrom is the Kepler of contemporary cosmology. Is the preceding hypothesis wrong? I don't think so — if MOND were wrong then there is no way that Milgrom...

view entire post

Cảnh Hằng Audio wrote on Apr. 11, 2017 @ 07:49 GMT
Dear David

I propose in my essay that consciousness is what transforms "potential" information into "real" meaningfull information. I would love to have your comments on it, if you have the time.

In any case, I believe that your essay deserves a much better ranking.

"... Dr. Murray Gell-Mann posed ... Is there a place or time in the development of the universe where entropy...

view entire post

Author David Dunstan Moran wrote on May. 10, 2017 @ 02:18 GMT
Thank you all for your kind remarks and comments and additions during this review period. As we approach the close of this commenting process, I want you all to know how much I have benefited from your thoughts. Let us all, now, vow to continue to seek and understand the universe around us and the incredible fields of understanding in which we all swim every day and learn from every minute. Cheers, David

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.