Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Klee Irwin: on 3/23/17 at 22:26pm UTC, wrote Augusto, I appreciated your essay. Our work is deeply focused on what we...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/14/17 at 10:57am UTC, wrote Nice essay Prof Lobo, Your ideas and thinking are excellent like, 1. TIME...

Joe Fisher: on 3/12/17 at 15:47pm UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Augusto Cesar Lobo, Please excuse me for I have no intention of...

Héctor Gianni: on 3/9/17 at 19:06pm UTC, wrote Dear Augusto Cesar Lobo I invite you and every physicist to read my work...

Lee Bloomquist: on 3/7/17 at 9:24am UTC, wrote Professor Lobo, "Time is a Measure of Individuality" This sounds to me...

Augusto Lobo: on 3/6/17 at 21:22pm UTC, wrote The goal: "How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and...

Richard Stafford: on 3/6/17 at 20:43pm UTC, wrote Perhaps I misunderstood the essay goal; "How can mindless mathematical laws...

Augusto Lobo: on 3/6/17 at 17:31pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract We address the relation between two apparently...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Gary Simpson, While PHALLUS is an abreviantion, a phallus is a Willy, a..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

jay grey: "Thanks for the link, I believe it will be very useful for personal..." in Santa Barbara Gravity...

Lorraine Ford: "Good one Gary! Regards, Lorraine" in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Joe Fisher: "Attempting to account for complex finite invisible particles will not help..." in Bohemian Reality:...

jany watson: "At we have a long list of similar http://www.essayhelperuk.co.uk/law-essay..." in Koalas, Quantum Mechanics...

James Putnam: ""The math time = 1/nu defines time ... " Nu is cycles/second. 1/nu is..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Agnew: "Your work has shown how normal physics like S&Z mass, length, and time have..." in Alternative Models of...

kab: "The word is enternal magic. Hope all secret never has answer will be out..." in Does Quantum Weirdness...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
March 28, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: The Emergence of Time/individuality and Consciousness/Intentionality in a Quantum-like World by Augusto Cesar Lobo [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 4.4; Public = 3.5

Author Augusto César Lobo wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 17:31 GMT
Essay Abstract

We address the relation between two apparently distinct problems: the quest for a deeper understanding of the nature of consciousness and intentionality and the search for time and space as emergent structures in the quantum mechanical world. We also advance a toy-model proposal of emergence of time from a timeless quantum-like space by borrowing ideas from Aharonov's two state formalism of quantum mechanics.We further speculate on these issues within a quantum cognitive perspective.We discuss both concepts and their relation with our main thesis: that time is a measure of individuality.

Author Bio

I am a Brazilian Physicist with a Ph.D. in Physics from the Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil. I currently work at the Federal University of Ouro Preto. My main interest is the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics. I was a visiting Professor at the Institute for Quantum Studies at Chapman University, California during the 2012-2014 period. Lately, I have become increasingly interested in the emerging science of Quantum Cognition.

Download Essay PDF File

Richard David Stafford wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 20:43 GMT
Perhaps I misunderstood the essay goal; "How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?" I thought it was the consequences of those "mindless laws" which was the issue.

I read your essay and from my perspective it seemed to be more of a collection of possible assumptions made by various people in various specialties. I could be wrong but you might take a look at my presumptions: i.e., none beyond "mindless mathematical laws".

report post as inappropriate

Author Augusto César Lobo replied on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 21:22 GMT
The goal:

"How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?"

doesn't really make sense. This is because the Platonic world of mathematical laws and of intentional consciousness ARE the one and the same. My essay is a suggestion of how we can deal with this.

Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Mar. 9, 2017 @ 19:06 GMT
Dear Augusto Cesar Lobo

I invite you and every physicist to read my work “TIME ORIGIN,DEFINITION AND EMPIRICAL MEANING FOR PHYSICISTS, Héctor Daniel Gianni ,I’m not a physicist.

How people interested in “Time” could feel about related things to the subject.

1) Intellectuals interested in Time issues usually have a nice and creative wander for the unknown.

2) They usually enjoy this wander of their searches around it.

3) For millenniums this wander has been shared by a lot of creative people around the world.

4) What if suddenly, something considered quasi impossible to be found or discovered such as “Time” definition and experimental meaning confronts them?

5) Their reaction would be like, something unbelievable,… a kind of disappointment, probably interpreted as a loss of wander…..

6) ….worst than that, if we say that what was found or discovered wasn’t a viable theory, but a proved fact.

7) Then it would become offensive to be part of the millenary problem solution, instead of being a reason for happiness and satisfaction.

8) The reader approach to the news would be paradoxically adverse.

9) Instead, I think it should be a nice welcome to discovery, to be received with opened arms and considered to be read with full attention.

11)Time “existence” is exclusive as a “measuring system”, its physical existence can’t be proved by science, as the “time system” is. Experimentally “time” is “movement”, we can prove that, showing that with clocks we measure “constant and uniform” movement and not “the so called Time”.

12)The original “time manuscript” has 23 pages, my manuscript in this contest has only 9 pages.

I share this brief with people interested in “time” and with physicists who have been in sore need of this issue for the last 50 or 60 years.

Héctor

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 12, 2017 @ 15:47 GMT
Dear Dr. Augusto Cesar Lobo,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 10:57 GMT
Nice essay Prof Lobo,

Your ideas and thinking are excellent like,

1. TIME IS A MEASURE OF INDIVIDUALITY: The idea of assigning an ontological status for the concepts of "intention", "goal" or "aim" may feel unbearably antropomorphic to a modern scientist. Einstein once said that "For those of us who believe in physics, the distinction between past, present and future is only a...

view entire post

Klee Irwin wrote on Mar. 23, 2017 @ 22:26 GMT
Augusto,

I appreciated your essay. Our work is deeply focused on what we refer to as Emergence Theory, which includes consciousness. So it was interesting to read your essay!

It was my pleasure to rate your essay. Good luck in the contest.

Cheers!

Klee

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'N' and 'P':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.