Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Edwin Klingman: on 3/27/17 at 22:06pm UTC, wrote Dear Alfredo Oliveira, There many fascinating threads in this contest....

Peter Jackson: on 3/27/17 at 16:44pm UTC, wrote Alfredo, A very good essay, well written with a good proposition, logical...

Edwin Klingman: on 3/27/17 at 4:10am UTC, wrote In the above post I misquoted Lev and Alexy Burov. They did not say ...

Edwin Klingman: on 3/27/17 at 2:53am UTC, wrote Dear Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira, There many fascinating threads in this...

Don Limuti: on 3/27/17 at 0:06am UTC, wrote Dear Alfredo, I did get your comment on global warming! And yes please...

Don Limuti: on 3/26/17 at 4:45am UTC, wrote Dear Alfredo, Thanks for your reply...much appreciated. I was very...

Alfredo Oliveira: on 3/25/17 at 19:38pm UTC, wrote Dear Don Limuti Thanks for your comment and king words about my essay! In...

Don Limuti: on 3/25/17 at 4:22am UTC, wrote Hi Alfredo, On my first reading of your essay, I passed it by, because I...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Gary Simpson, While PHALLUS is an abreviantion, a phallus is a Willy, a..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

jay grey: "Thanks for the link, I believe it will be very useful for personal..." in Santa Barbara Gravity...

Lorraine Ford: "Good one Gary! Regards, Lorraine" in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Joe Fisher: "Attempting to account for complex finite invisible particles will not help..." in Bohemian Reality:...

jany watson: "At we have a long list of similar http://www.essayhelperuk.co.uk/law-essay..." in Koalas, Quantum Mechanics...

James Putnam: ""The math time = 1/nu defines time ... " Nu is cycles/second. 1/nu is..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Agnew: "Your work has shown how normal physics like S&Z mass, length, and time have..." in Alternative Models of...

kab: "The word is enternal magic. Hope all secret never has answer will be out..." in Does Quantum Weirdness...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
March 28, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Decoding the "Intelligence" of the Universe by Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 4.7; Public = 5.3

Author Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 17:00 GMT
Essay Abstract

Starting with a non-anthropomorphic definition of intelligence, this essay leads to the conclusion that the critical property driving the universe away from chaos is the tendency for particles to connect to each other, forming associations with new properties and as big as possible. The intrinsic relationship with processes of intelligence, both inorganic and organic, is explained. Considering a model for Earth’s past temperature that fits isotope and biological data, it is shown that such a tendency and the consequent processes of intelligence led to the formation of molecules like DNA and to a much better understanding of life evolution. Given that thermodynamics concerns only systems with non-connecting particles, a theory on systems with connecting particles seems to be of utmost importance to explain the evolution of systems, from the inorganic ones to human societies.

Author Bio

I was very young when I started my quest to understand the universe; later, as a teenager, I concluded that I had to focus on foundational questions. This is a life-long project, and requires a specific methodology. By weighty reasons, I decided to choose Engineering as my profession, instead of Physics, and to do my research autonomously.The draft papers I published in arXiv and viXra deserved several complimentary emails, mainly from mathematicians. I have also been invited to present a contribution for a book by the main Portuguese science publisher.

Download Essay PDF File

Helder Lines Velez wrote on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 21:01 GMT
Indeed we are short of a theoretical framework to empower the analysis of systems of complex interconnected particles/components. ThermoDynamics is good for star's interior and kinetic collisions but is not adequate for the real complex world.

report post as inappropriate

Author Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira replied on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 22:05 GMT
I think that such a theory on the properties of systems with connecting particles is one of the two theories required to model the evolution of the universe in all its aspects – life included. They represent a new frontier.

Joe Fisher replied on Mar. 11, 2017 @ 17:07 GMT
Dear Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Author Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira replied on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 12:36 GMT
Dear Joe Fisher

You start with a finding: all our eyes see from the outside world is surface. Ok. Then I was expecting that you developed the reasoning, go beyond what eyes can see. But I did not find that. The universe is not just what we see, or touch, or ear or taste or smell. Our senses gave us an initial information and our aim is to find what is behind that. That is what allows us to predict how systems evolve; and when we predict it correctly, we assume that to a certain extent we have approached the reality.

Therefore, here you present your starting point; now I would like to see the continuation.

Best regards

Alfredo Oliveira

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Mar. 11, 2017 @ 06:27 GMT
Dear Alfredo Oliveira,

Thank you for your gracious remarks. You note that our essays complement each other, and I agree that each overlaps in ways that expand the topic. You discern 'intelligence' in the universe, and begin by clarifying the concept of intelligence. Whereas I define intelligence as consciousness plus logic, you exclude consciousness and define intelligence as "the ability...

view entire post

Author Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira wrote on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 11:44 GMT
Dear Edwin Klingman

You perfectly summarized the essential points of my analysis with that clarity that seems to be a distinctive characteristic of your work.

I excluded consciousness from the quest because I concluded that trying to explain consciousness from basic matter properties is like trying to explain the entanglement of particles from those properties. Furthermore, during...

view entire post

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 15:00 GMT
Nice essay Oliveira,

Your ideas and thinking are excellent for eg.,

Therefore, there is a huge capacity in nature for generating associations of particles with new properties. And we can go beyond molecules and think that even a human society is an association of particles potentially able to continuously acquire new properties.

Thus, the universe is a giant H generator!...

view entire post

Willy K wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 05:51 GMT
Hi Oliveira

I like the definition you have proposed for intelligence, “the ability to solve a new problem”. It is somewhat similar to the definition of Legg and Hutter (2007) which is presented in Mohapatra’s essay (Informational Unification) submitted on this forum, “Intelligence measures an agent’s ability to achieve goals in a wide range of environments”.

The objective measure I have arrived at for separating intelligent systems is rather different. I have constructed a model for extrinsic intelligence (Constitutional nation state) and use that to arrive at the objective measure. The measure proposes to check whether the system has a capacity to ‘nurture’ the root elements of the system. I could be wrong on this, but I think this measure is generic enough that it just might be applicable across multiple types of intelligent systems.

It is also interesting that you speak of ‘quantification’ of intelligence. My model offers that as well if you look at the first para in the last page. However, I did not develop the concept further as the essay’s guidelines wanted only an objective measure for separating systems that were intelligent.

Warm Regards, Willy

Alexey/Lev Burov wrote on Mar. 23, 2017 @ 03:37 GMT
Dear Alfredo,

I like your essay for its attempt to formulate and answer some big questions. Although I do not consider your answers convincing, they are interesting, and this is already important. Below I am sharing with you some ideas which came to my mind while reading your essay.

"...just one function that we can ascribe to Intelligence: the ability to solve a new problem, i.e., one with no solution stored in the database of the mind or obtainable from a source accessible to the mind. "

It looks as a circular logic to me, since not only "mind" and "problem", but "database" already imply "intelligence".

"A Hypotheses Generation (the random paths) and a Selection procedure (the paths that do not lead out of the maze are rejected). "

This reminds me similar schemes of Poincare and Compton, see e.g. http://www.informationphilosopher.com/freedom/two-stage_mode
ls.html

"Is nature able to generate by itself something with new properties? The answer is yes, of course."

This I do not understand. How can you know that with certainty? If you said that you believe in that, I would understand; however, if you wanted to claim it obvious, I would disagree.

"From the above it seems that the key for the apparent intelligence of the universe is the tendency of particles to form ever larger stable associations, each of them with specific properties. "

The problem is that these long molecules are not just long, but they are specially ordered, and the order is important. They are like long meaningful texts, not just like long arbitrary sequence of letters.

Well, I think, I would rather stop here, with a hope that my remarks sound not quite unreasonable for you and at least a bit helpful. As I already said, I appreciate your efforts to truth and your feeling of mystery, so I give your essay rather high score.

All the best,

Alexey Burov.

Author Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira replied on Mar. 23, 2017 @ 12:07 GMT
Dear Alexei

Thank you very much for your comments and your vote. Your doubts are certainly the ones of others and your comments give me the possibility of clarifying important aspects. A Portuguese writer said “Do not affirm the error of a truth before changing its context. Unless it gives you joy to be stoned.” Unhappily, the short size of this essay has limited my capacity of changing...

view entire post

Don Limuti wrote on Mar. 25, 2017 @ 04:22 GMT
Hi Alfredo,

On my first reading of your essay, I passed it by, because I could not figure out what it was about. On my second pass ( a few weeks latter), I find it quite good. Here is what I agree with:

A purely material explanation was here presented for the appearance of molecules like DNA. However, when we consider more complex systems, namely life, we can no longer explain the illusion of a goal by simple mathematics.

Your essay is excellent, I think the abstract confused me. Question for you: Do you think "global warming" is just a minor glitch in the scheme of things? Please answer on my blog and while there take a look at my essay.

Thanks for your essay,

Don Limuti

Author Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira replied on Mar. 25, 2017 @ 19:38 GMT
Dear Don Limuti

Thanks for your comment and king words about my essay!

In this adventure for understanding the universe, there are steps we can aim to do, and others that we are still too ignorant to even try. In my essay I describe some important steps – for instance, concerning life, for the first time it is presented an explanation for the formation of molecules of the kind of the DNA with no obvious drawbacks; and also an explanation for how life evolved from the link between climate and proteins. This link is so strong that one can predict the main occurrences in life evolution. In the viXra paper that I mention, there are much more about it.

These, however, are just simple aspects of life. A cell is something of utmost complexity. I think that the amount of information required to build one of our cells is much more than the one required to build a human from the cell. And I do not even know whether life is just the result of the properties of matter – nor me, nor anyone, although some seem sure that it is not, and others that it is.

I will answer your question in my comment to your essay, as asked.

Thanks again for your kind attention to my essay.

All the best

Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira

Don Limuti replied on Mar. 26, 2017 @ 04:45 GMT
Dear Alfredo,

Thanks for your reply...much appreciated.

I was very interested in your graph showing the earth's temperature on a monotonic decline since the beginning. And there was speculation in at least one of the essays in this contest that the world will end in ice.

Since this is such a "hot" topic these days I wanted to get your thoughts on the question: Is our concern about global warming just a temporary condition, and the cooling will start again?

This was not part of the contest...just curious.

Thanks,

Don Limuti

Don Limuti replied on Mar. 27, 2017 @ 00:06 GMT
Dear Alfredo,

I did get your comment on global warming! And yes please send me more info.

Also, thanks for visiting my website...and your favorable remarks.

My email can be found on my site www.digitalwavetheory.com in the about the author section. It is don.limuti@gmail.com

Thanks,

Don Limuti

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 27, 2017 @ 16:44 GMT
Alfredo,

A very good essay, well written with a good proposition, logical argument, and even a few dinosaurs! (which beats my tiger!). I agree most all, indeed employ similar concepts in a different way, with different scale 'layers' of your; "ever larger stable associations, each of them with specific properties".

I also agree and think it well expressed that; " we can solve a problem if we have a generator of hypotheses able to generate the solution and a selection procedure independent of the generator of hypotheses." Which I see as equivalent to the 'feedback loops' I discuss.

I even like your title, as I find 'decoding' the noise in an information channel allows us to derive intelligence (I discussed with the IQbit in the 'It from Bit' essay) I also now identify a classic QM solution so if you do get to read mine don't try to rush through it!

One question; Do you see gravity as the fundamental force promoting the ever larger connections between entities?

If you disagree with my suggested analysis it seems we have a number of parallels. I also found nothing I disagreed with, and it was a pleasant read.

Best of luck in the contest.

Peter

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Mar. 27, 2017 @ 22:06 GMT
Dear Alfredo Oliveira,

There many fascinating threads in this contest. Another thread dealt with "the unreasonable effectiveness" of math for physics, and you made some excellent points which I quote below.

I have addressed Wigner's quote in my ref.5. The key physical fact underlying our metaphysical reasoning is that the universe behaves logically. This can be exemplified by the...

view entire post

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'E' and 'G':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.