Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 4/7/17 at 7:56am UTC, wrote Dear Sirs! Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of...

Don Limuti: on 3/28/17 at 22:09pm UTC, wrote Hi Chris, This is very good work. And I like your concentration on...

Chris Broski: on 3/28/17 at 20:07pm UTC, wrote Peter, Thank you very much for your comment. I have been unable to explain...

Peter Jackson: on 3/26/17 at 15:27pm UTC, wrote Chris, That was a greatly enjoyable read. OK I'm a Simpsons fan, but it...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/13/17 at 13:39pm UTC, wrote Nice essay Broski, Good Algorithm for “experiencing the joy and...

Joe Fisher: on 3/11/17 at 16:48pm UTC, wrote Dear Chris Broski, Please excuse me for I have no intention of...

Chris Broski: on 3/7/17 at 1:37am UTC, wrote Yes, Reinforcement Learning fits very closely to my own work, but I...

Rene Ahn: on 3/6/17 at 21:05pm UTC, wrote Dear Chris I like your refreshing and practical style. It shares some...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jonathan Dickau: "As it turns out... My personal philosophy specifically treats the notion..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Jonathan Dickau: "I agree Lorraine, I've never been so much a fan of the 'paragon of..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Quantum Antigravity: "EXPERIMENTAL quantum Anti-gravity —..." in The Myth of Gravity

Pentcho Valev: "Money for teleology and silly songs only? The teleology contest is a..." in Towards a Goal — Two...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
April 24, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: A Logical System of Emotional Desire by Chris Broski [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Chris Broski wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 16:52 GMT
Essay Abstract

Intelligent systems can exhibit the desire to accomplish a goal in several ways. Instinctual desire is an emergent property of physical form and programmed behavior. Emotional desire exists if a creature possesses subjective sensors that indicate whether situations are good or bad, and uses these as a guide to modify its own behavior toward increased benefit and decreased harm. Conscious desire can occur if a system has a model of how its actions affect the environment and can simulate the benefit or harm of possible consequences before acting. I describe the logical data structures and processes required to create a simple system of emotional desire.

Author Bio

Chris Broski earned his undergraduate degree in biology at Adrian College and a Masters in Education at the University of Michigan. He has worked in software development, science education, molecular biology, and analytical chemistry.

Download Essay PDF File

Rene Ahn wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 21:05 GMT
Dear Chris

I like your refreshing and practical style.

It shares some elements with "reinforcement learning" approaches!

I wonder whether you are aware of the work by Sutton and Barto?

I really think it might interest you.

https://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~sutton/book/the-book.html

Goo
d luck with your further ventures!

Rene

report post as inappropriate

Author Chris Broski replied on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 01:37 GMT
Yes, Reinforcement Learning fits very closely to my own work, but I was previously unaware of it. Thank you for that excellent suggestion.

Chris

Joe Fisher replied on Mar. 11, 2017 @ 16:48 GMT
Dear Chris Broski,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 13:39 GMT
Nice essay Broski,

Good Algorithm for “experiencing the joy and suffering of emotional and instinctual desire ”. Really it is a nice attempt to program emotions. This Can probably form a nice basis for a future Artificial intelligence machine…. Best wishes

………………………… At this point I want you to ask you to please have a look at my essay which is not a...

view entire post

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 26, 2017 @ 15:27 GMT
Chris,

That was a greatly enjoyable read. OK I'm a Simpsons fan, but it did also agree with my own 'feedback loop' analysis and approach so nicely that I can overlook the mathematical subtext (no I'm not a programmer!)

It does of course raise a question why Homers blurry action parameters haven't shown the power to improve his own future situations, but I suspect that may only be because he's not 'real'!

Your score looks way too low so I'll match my feedback with some nice dose of integers. I hope you may read mine, but do be aware it contains a rather more dense ontological construction than yours so may not be as easy!

Best of luck

Peter

Author Chris Broski replied on Mar. 28, 2017 @ 20:07 GMT
Peter,

Thank you very much for your comment. I have been unable to explain my abysmal scores, but you have provided a bit of evidence that at least I am not entirely insane! I worked very hard to write in accordance with the rules (1/3 relevance, 2/3 interest) but it seems not everyone in the community is following the proper evaluation criteria. I understand why my essay might be irritating to some readers, but it is at least on topic, easy to read, and brings something unique to the discussion. Maybe I dumbed it down too far? Perhaps I should have submitted my first draft that was unintelligible.

I found your essay to be enjoyable and impressive. Your QM is a little more advanced than what I am used to, but it's good for me to stretch my mind.

Don Limuti wrote on Mar. 28, 2017 @ 22:09 GMT
Hi Chris,

This is very good work. And I like your concentration on emotion, and your software methods.

From my perspective, augmentation still has the lead over AI in terms of how we look at the future of machines. Doug Engelbart's work at SRI pointed out the benefits of the augmentation framework. However, if progress is going to be made toward human like machines, your techniques and actual demonstrations will lead the way. Some in this contest may say mathematics comes first, I say no, first comes the discovery then the math follows.

Come visit my essay, I chose a short dialog approach to the essay question.

Thanks for your outstanding work and essay.

Don Limuti

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Apr. 7, 2017 @ 07:56 GMT
Dear Sirs!

Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of Newton returned as the New Cartesian Physic and promises to be a theory of everything. To tell you this good news I use «spam».

New Cartesian Physic based on the identity of space and matter. It showed that the formula of mass-energy equivalence comes from the pressure of the Universe, the flow of force which on the corpuscle is equal to the product of Planck's constant to the speed of light.

New Cartesian Physic has great potential for understanding the world. To show it, I ventured to give "materialistic explanations of the paranormal and supernatural" is the title of my essay.

Visit my essay, you will find there the New Cartesian Physic and make a short entry: "I believe that space is a matter" I will answer you in return. Can put me 1.

Sincerely,

Dizhechko Boris

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.