Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Peter Bauch: on 3/21/17 at 20:12pm UTC, wrote Dear Don, Thanks for your support. Will score in kind. I've checked out...

Don Limuti: on 3/20/17 at 22:31pm UTC, wrote Hi Peter, Your essay grabbed me. And what you point out is heretical to...

Peter Bauch: on 3/19/17 at 20:15pm UTC, wrote Dear Bayarsaikhan Bayarsaikhan Choisuren, Thanks for that. Regards, ...

Bayarsaikhan Choisuren: on 3/19/17 at 13:35pm UTC, wrote Dear Peter Bauch, The second term in Eq.6 in my essay is to corresponds...

Bayarsaikhan Choisuren: on 3/19/17 at 8:09am UTC, wrote Dear Peter Bauch, The speed of light in vacuum is constant relative to...

Bayarsaikhan Choisuren: on 3/18/17 at 23:00pm UTC, wrote Dear Peter Bauch, Thank you for your reply, it is nice to me to read your...

Peter Bauch: on 3/18/17 at 20:50pm UTC, wrote Dear Bayarsaikhan Choisuren, Thank you for taking the time to look at my...

Peter Bauch: on 3/18/17 at 20:49pm UTC, wrote Dear Gary, Thanks for your favorable comments. I'm not sure if there...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

leonae gonzales: "This seems to be very interesting site. Professionally i am a writer at the..." in Quantum Replicants:...

James Putnam: "Quoting Gary D. Simpson: "If you disapprove of one-bombing and wish to..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Steven Andresen: "It might be that I have come to know where the hidden variable is, to..." in 80 Years of EPR —...

Lawrence Crowell: "The choice for anonymous commenting is a good idea. A person scoring less..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

dieu le: "The Creation of Momentum From the gigantic Milky Way Galaxy to the..." in Alternative Models of...

dieu le: "What causes Things Move in Universe? Things move when encountering a..." in Alternative Models of...

leonae gonzales: "I would like to prepare a review of this topic with the help of research..." in Quantum Replicants:...

Thewitcher: "Đến với dịch vụ chữ ký số giachukyso.net bạn sẽ được..." in Riding the Rogue Quantum...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

Rescuing Reality
A "retrocausal" rewrite of physics, in which influences from the future can affect the past, could solve some quantum quandaries—saving Einstein's view of reality along the way.

FQXi FORUM
March 23, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: A goal-oriented system approach to gravitation by Peter Bauch [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 4.4; Public = 2.0

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 16:52 GMT
Essay Abstract

How do goal-oriented systems arise, and how do they exist and function in a world that we can describe in terms of goal-free mathematical evolution? We focus on this question with a model of a goal-oriented system approach to gravitation as opposed to general relativity's progressive goal-satisfaction. This is done by showing how space and time exist on their own in order to determine the origin of gravitation, while leaving general relativity's four-dimensional spacetime interpretation intact.

Author Bio

I studied mathematics and physics at the University of British Columbia and developed an interest in physics and cosmology.

Download Essay PDF File

Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Mar. 9, 2017 @ 19:22 GMT
Dear Peter Bauch

I invite you and every physicist to read my work “TIME ORIGIN,DEFINITION AND EMPIRICAL MEANING FOR PHYSICISTS, Héctor Daniel Gianni ,I’m not a physicist.

How people interested in “Time” could feel about related things to the subject.

1) Intellectuals interested in Time issues usually have a nice and creative wander for the unknown.

2) They...

view entire post

report post as inappropriate

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Mar. 9, 2017 @ 20:57 GMT
Hector

Sounds interesting. I will check it out.

Peter

Joe Fisher replied on Mar. 11, 2017 @ 16:06 GMT
Dear Peter Bauch,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real...

view entire post

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Mar. 11, 2017 @ 20:35 GMT
Joe

Thanks for stopping by. Simple is good. I'll read your essay and comment.

Peter

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 01:01 GMT
Nice essay Bauch,

Your new study about “Space-time” is good.

But this approach gives rise to Blackhole singularity as well as Bigbang singularity etc.

For your information Dynamic Universe model is totally based on experimental results. Here in Dynamic Universe Model Space is Space and time is time in cosmology level or in any level. In the classical general...

view entire post

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 18:51 GMT
Dear SNP. Gupta

Thanks for reading and your comments. Actually my model has no singularity in a black hole. There is nothing inside the event horizon. The mass is in a shell outside the horizon.

You have an admirable passion for what you are doing and I think you have a good idea with a many-body solution using Newtonian physics – something you can't do with general relativity. It...

view entire post

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 17, 2017 @ 20:27 GMT
Peter,

Very nice essay. I like the model too, though as an astronomer there are some things that would bear closer examination. i.e. Have you yet looked closely at Active Galactic Nuclei and quasar dynamics? and What conclusions would your model suggest regarding the effect of what we designate; 'dark matter'?

I see you have a derisory score but feel, though short and not really on topic, that it's still worth far more.

As a mathematician I'd be interested in what you make of the derivation in the latter part of my essay. I similarly debunk the nonsense of QM, retaining all the findings and Bells theorem but producing the 'predictions' entirely classically.

Well done and thanks for a nice non obscure read, and also nice diagrams,

Best

Peter

Gary D. Simpson wrote on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 05:49 GMT
Peter,

This is a nice essay. I favor the notion that time is not a dimension and your rationale is plausible I think. The visual aides are clear and effective.

I have a question for you. You make a comparison between the deflection predicted by Einstein vs that predicted by Newton and the ratio between the two values is 2:1. I understand that the spin of a photon is 1 compared to the spin of a fermion as 1/2. The ratio between these spin values is also 2:1. Is this a coincidence or is spin the link between GR and QM?

BTW, if you believe that space-time is an artificial construct, then you might be interested in my essay. I believe that time is simply a scalar value.

Best Regards and Good Luck,

Gary Simpson

Bayarsaikhan Bayarsaikhan Choisuren wrote on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 13:10 GMT
Dear Peter Bauch,

Your new study about “Space-time” is good.

I believe in that space-time is an artificial construct.

You tried to visualize the space time and gravitational interaction by the hypothetical particle such as graviton and dark matter particles. I don't mind that.

I suggest that you should your approach on the Lagrange points in a system of gravitating...

view entire post

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 20:47 GMT
Dear Peter,

Nice to hear from you. To answer your questions:

Have you looked closely at Active Galactic Nuclei and quasar dynamics?

I assume you are talking about black hole jets and accretion discs and so forth. The black hole I came up with is basic. The main point is that inside the event horizon there is no space. The matter that is normally thought to collapse into a...

view entire post

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 20:49 GMT
Dear Gary,

Thanks for your favorable comments.

I'm not sure if there would be a solid connection between the ratios you pointed out – interesting point though.

It's been a long time since I studied math and although I still understand the concepts I learned I've lost my technical ability so much of what you've presented in your paper is unfamiliar. However, I get...

view entire post

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 20:50 GMT
Dear Bayarsaikhan Choisuren,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my work. It's good to hear from someone who has an an advanced understanding of physics. Although my bio says I studied math and physics I didn't make it as far as differential geometry, although I have a grounding in the basic concepts. Thanks for the invitation to discuss issues but I'm afraid I wouldn't have much to say since you're light years ahead of me in a technical sense.

I went through your essay and you have some excellent diagrams and I learned a bit about Lagrangians. It's good to see you have some ideas regarding cosmology. For instance you posit a cyclical universe which I like, although I favor a big crunch as opposed to a big rip. In one of your posts you said that “free space should not be empty, it might be filled with an invisible perfect fluid with a critical flow velocity equal to the light speed.” Personally I think this is correct.

Best Wishes,

Peter

Bayarsaikhan Bayarsaikhan Choisuren replied on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 23:00 GMT
Dear Peter Bauch,

Thank you for your reply, it is nice to me to read your essay.

I appreciate your attempts for gravitation.

I think that you have a much things to do in your future.

And also I am a theoretical physicist so I am interested in your idea for GR and SR and Cosmology.

I would like to have a discuss on this subject if you send me a massage by my email address that is written in my essay in the contest

Thank you again,

Ch,Bayarsaikhan

Bayarsaikhan Bayarsaikhan Choisuren replied on Mar. 19, 2017 @ 08:09 GMT
Dear Peter Bauch,

The speed of light in vacuum is constant relative to ‘Space’ itself, instead of relative to a material object. Therefore, the speed of electromagnetic wave is not only a speed but also a fundamental property of nature, which is able to be a key property to generate gravitational and inertial forces.

Thank you again,

With Best Regards

Ch.Bayarsaikhan

Bayarsaikhan Bayarsaikhan Choisuren replied on Mar. 19, 2017 @ 13:35 GMT
Dear Peter Bauch,

The second term in Eq.6 in my essay is to corresponds to the Fly-by anomaly. Just remember Anderson’s empirical relation.

With Best Regards,

Ch.Bayarsaikhan

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Mar. 19, 2017 @ 20:15 GMT
Dear Bayarsaikhan Bayarsaikhan Choisuren,

Thanks for that.

Regards,

Peter

Don Limuti wrote on Mar. 20, 2017 @ 22:31 GMT
Hi Peter,

Your essay grabbed me. And what you point out is heretical to current physics with a vengeance! And there are a few that agree with you...including me.

I would say that gravitons exist in a cartesian 3d space. However, gradients of gravitons act like a prism. Light bends when it passes thru gradients of gravitons. This creates the illusion that mass curves space-time. This illusion is workable (like the sun rising), but it causes us to miss dark matter and dark energy!

I define the graviton in a slightly different way than you do. You can check it out in the paper:

http://prespacetime.com/index.php/pst/article/view/118
8/1163

High Marks,

Don Limuti

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Mar. 21, 2017 @ 20:12 GMT
Dear Don,

Thanks for your support. Will score in kind.

I've checked out your work and I see you have quite the passion (as I do) to come up with out-of-the-box ideas in physics. I always like looking at other alternative concepts. I've seen that idea about the gravitational deflection of light due to refraction in other places (a few here at FQXi like it) and it's interesting that you attribute it to gravitons.

I read your short (but sweet) essay which had me thinking about determinism. That reference you gave is chock-full of interesting material.

Cheers,

Peter

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'G' and 'I':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.