Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 4/7/17 at 8:11am UTC, wrote Dear Sirs! Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of...

Rene Ahn: on 4/4/17 at 20:23pm UTC, wrote Unfortunately, though, I apparently only got a 2 (in the community vote),...

Rene Ahn: on 4/2/17 at 14:04pm UTC, wrote Thanks, that is very kind of you!

Graham Cookson: on 4/2/17 at 13:02pm UTC, wrote Excellent essay...it is a 10 rating. Thank you Graham

Rene Ahn: on 4/1/17 at 23:49pm UTC, wrote Hi Peter, yes these issues are linked, because without initial symmetry...

Peter Jackson: on 4/1/17 at 19:14pm UTC, wrote Dear Rene, Very interesting essay and approach, right on topic and an...

Daniel Rocha: on 3/31/17 at 18:19pm UTC, wrote Dear Rene Ahn, I noticed that you did not answer on my thread, so I...

Yehuda Atai: on 3/28/17 at 15:53pm UTC, wrote Hi Rene A great approach you take in your essay and I tend to agree with...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Cristinel Stoica: "Dear Lorraine, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but QBism gives the humans..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Steven Andresen: "I note your reservations. What I propose doesn’t change the observations..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "Lorraine, did you read "Georgina Woodward replied on Jul. 22, 2017 @ 03:14..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Steven, I can only speak for myself. I am uncertain of my ability to..." in Alternative Models of...

sridattadev kancharla: "Dear All, Using Imaginary part of s in the e power yields correct..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

sridattadev kancharla: "Dear All, I am using Sign function to determine the direction of..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Cohen Geoffrey: "The origin of life on planet Earth A "cosmic cloud" falls from infinite..." in Biological Creativity

Georgina Woodward: "In the example of a spinning ball that was given it should be assumed that..." in The Reality of the...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

FQXi FORUM
July 23, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: The autocatalysis of meaning: or how intentions may fit within physics by Rene Ahn [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Rene Ahn wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 16:52 GMT
Essay Abstract

We do not see intentions in nature outside of biology. So we may be able to understand how intentions may arise in nature, and how physical systems fold relevant information about non local circumstances into local processes and structures by studying the way in which biological structures obtain and handle information. We show how, apart from the discretisation introduced at the quantum level, notions like fixed-points, encodings, decodings, reference, autocatalysis, the creation and expansion of boundaries, noise, and the computation of expectation values, all seem to play their role.

Author Bio

René Ahn is a former assistant professor in the Designed Intelligence Group at the Department of Industrial Design at the Eindhoven University of Technology. He has an MSc in physics. He has been employed at Philips Research Laboratories, Tilburg University, and the Institute of Perception Research (IPO) where he worked on subjects like automated deduction, computational semantics, agents, and intelligent interfaces. In 2001 he gained a PhD from the institute of programming research and algorithmics at the Eindhoven University of Technology. He is at present independent and his current interests are in adaptive algorithms and reinforcement learning.

Download Essay PDF File

Daniel de França Diniz Rocha wrote on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 02:01 GMT
Dear Rene,

I think your essay touched points of view similar to my essay:

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2846

I tried to focus on the "primitive oceans", as a system that could process information by autocalasys, where which some systems formed simple chemical clocks. I chose such systems because they are the most primitive thing that I could think of that resembles something that can attribute a meaning (I don't use this a word in my essay), by reacting to external modifications of environment. I try to explain there how to approach the RNA world, as a 1.consequence way to avoid turbulence, as the systems infiltrated alkaline hydrothermal vents 2.by piling adenosine, which is linked to molecules related to energy storage or its processsing, like ATP, ADP or CoA, so I think bean RNA was a way to store energy.

You talk about memory, which it seems interesting given that, the phenotype expression, helps conserve it along millions of it, by making some structures geometrically conservative, but selected for great malleability. As complexity grows, the "phenotype memory", passed to encephalitic power, which improved the response of organisms to change. It was a similar revolution just like the appearance of sexual reproduction, or life itself.

report post as inappropriate

Author Rene Ahn replied on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 02:26 GMT
Dear Daniel,

Thank you very much for your interest, I have just downloaded your Essay, looking forward to reading it, it may take some time for me to respond, it is already getting quite late over here.

Clocks are interesting objects, in a way, I have already seen references to them in various essays, (When I started peeking a little here and there...) and most self replicating systems (SRS) obviously also need some timing mechanisms. Time plays a very important role in the whole story, indeed, a long story, billions of years, hard to compress into 9 pages, I daresay. :-)

You'll hear from me.

Joe Fisher replied on Mar. 10, 2017 @ 17:16 GMT
Dear Professor Rene Ahn,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 12, 2017 @ 11:49 GMT
Nice essay Prof Rene Ahn,

Your ideas and thinking are excellent.

1. Living beings may have intentions. Complex living beings may have sophisticated intentions

…………………… You are exactly correct!

2. And humans, especially when they work in teams, have a remarkable ability to imagine highly structured possible futures, to make choices between them, to make...

view entire post

Don Limuti wrote on Mar. 20, 2017 @ 22:50 GMT
Hi Rene,

I like your essay. One part stood out for me as being interesting and original. "Nature thereby offers us "a grid" of attractor states, and states have a tendency to "snap to the grid"". I like the concept of snapping to the grid.

I summarize your conclusion as "we really do not know about what creates intention". In my essay I say indirectly "we really, really, really, do not know what creates choice".

Take a look at my essay, I think you may enjoy it.

Thanks for your thoughtful essay,

Don Limuti

Yehuda Atai wrote on Mar. 28, 2017 @ 15:53 GMT
Hi Rene

A great approach you take in your essay and I tend to agree with you. Infect it seems (you write about it and its your methodology), we have a sub strata of natural language of maintaining the unique self organization, from life forms and other forms like energy= mater and vis versa.

In my essay I show first the way we ratifying continuously our self even we change all the time while keeping our perception as unique self. as Socrates, rene etc. And second, I show that it is all in the qualities of the movement attributes. it is all ontological and subjective and that is its-our eminent beauty.

I wonder about your feedback on my essay : "we are together, therefore I am".

thanks

Yehuda Atai

Daniel de França Diniz Rocha wrote on Mar. 31, 2017 @ 18:19 GMT
Dear Rene Ahn,

I noticed that you did not answer on my thread, so I reproduce it here:

Hi Rene! Of course, I am looking for a great constructive feedback!

Yes, there is some sort of relationship with the container first. The container is the entire primitive ocean, or better layers of the ocean with different circulation paths.

The information is merely to stay bellow a certain level or above a certain level. This is too simple, but that's the most basic information life can carry without a system specialized in carrying information, like DNA. I tried to explain in the papaer how these informations could accumulate, that is, where currents would cross, they would mixture. In this case, more layers of control could accumulate.

Note that when currents meet, there is turbulance, so, this would be the first selecting pressure life, as I defined, would suffer. The selection would be, since there is no protection barrier to protect contents, like a cell, more sturd reaction would be selected. In this sense, a more stable reaction would "survive".

So, while currents of the ocean ciculated, this more complex reaction would be selected and spread to other currents. The overall chemichal composition of the oceans would change gradually because of these. There would be inputs from impacts from asteroids, input from volcanoes and so on. But, so, these would be inputs that would disturb the life as I put it, which would force them to gradually accumulate more and more complex reactions, that would further increase the chemistry of the oceans or many of its currents.

Note that deeper in the ocean, there are currents that passes through vents. But these are very turbulent, at a time, some very mechanism would be sturd enough enter one of those and begin to use the organic reactions there.

Peter Jackson wrote on Apr. 1, 2017 @ 19:14 GMT
Dear Rene,

Very interesting essay and approach, right on topic and an enjoyable read (all criteria for a good score!)

Do you think the following two (important I think) matters from your essay may be directly linked?;

"How this fact needs to be understood is one of the most difficult problems in physics, but in the last decades also here a lot of progress has been made" ..AND;

"The only other thing that we need, in order to let it evolve is some random factor that introduces variations in the copying process of the DNA."
?

I agree them, and suggest they are in my own essay (after identifying an architecture creating informed choice 'decisions' which become 'intentions'. I hope you get a chance to read and comment.

Well done and thank you for yours

Peter

Author Rene Ahn replied on Apr. 1, 2017 @ 23:49 GMT
Hi Peter, yes these issues are linked, because without initial symmetry breaking you cannot have any evolution, so at some basic level you need quantum indeterminacy to break the stalemate, so to say. It depends on what level one wants the to discuss this, if one takes the arrow of time (second law) and "thermal noise" for granted, thermal noise might be sufficient to inform the process, but there is also a deeper level of discussion that needs to explain how such noise can arise in the first place, despite unitarity.

I'll definitely try to read your essay,hopefully tomorrow, I'll let you know. At present I am still mainly reading to get an overview, what I have seen thus far is all very diverse.

I am new here, and was initially very enthusiastic,(I like the topic!) but admit I have been discouraged​ by some of the more childish behaviour that I have witnessed. I didn't expect this, at least not here.

Graham Walker Cookson wrote on Apr. 2, 2017 @ 13:02 GMT
Excellent essay...it is a 10 rating. Thank you Graham

Author Rene Ahn replied on Apr. 2, 2017 @ 14:04 GMT
Thanks, that is very kind of you!

Author Rene Ahn replied on Apr. 4, 2017 @ 20:23 GMT
Unfortunately, though, I apparently only got a 2 (in the community vote), instead of a 10, which seems odd.

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Apr. 7, 2017 @ 08:11 GMT
Dear Sirs!

Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of Newton returned as the New Cartesian Physic and promises to be a theory of everything. To tell you this good news I use «spam».

New Cartesian Physic based on the identity of space and matter. It showed that the formula of mass-energy equivalence comes from the pressure of the Universe, the flow of force which on the corpuscle is equal to the product of Planck's constant to the speed of light.

New Cartesian Physic has great potential for understanding the world. To show it, I ventured to give "materialistic explanations of the paranormal and supernatural" is the title of my essay.

Visit my essay, you will find there the New Cartesian Physic and make a short entry: "I believe that space is a matter" I will answer you in return. Can put me 1.

Sincerely,

Dizhechko Boris

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.